Thailand Sees Growing Numbers Of Mental Patients

webfact

Thailand sees growing numbers of mental patients

image_20120920113849E1F898A7-9EB5-BFD0-6A24C5F8B23E530E.jpg

PHITSANULOK, Sept 20 -- Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon said Thailand currently has more than 3 million mental patients, but only one-third of them are receiving treatment, at the country’s 17 mental hospitals nationwide.

By 2070 when Thailand becomes more urbanised, society in general will be more fragile and more people will consequently suffer from mental problems.

Urbanisation will be more intensified in eastern Thailand and family size will be smaller, while more women will become family leaders, Dr Surawit predicted.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has been concerned with the increasing number of patients from depression worldwide, he said.

Depression has moved up from the fourth rank in 1990 to the second, after heart problems, among five most serious ailments. If nothing is done, depression may contribute to a higher suicide rate.

In its development plan on mental service for 2013-2016, the Public Health Ministry will expand service to all age groups including children, women, teenagers and elderly people.

According to the ministry’s goal, 70 per cent of Thai people of all ages will be free from mental problems and the emotional quotient of at least 70 per cent of young people will not be lower than the universal standard. The suicide rate must be less than 6.5 persons per 100,000 persons.

The public health minister on Wednesday received a donated plot of land in the northern province of Phitsanulok to build a mental hospital. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-20

More sought psychiatric care

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Three million patients sought psychiatric care in 2010, with the case numbers on the rise, especially for depression, Deputy Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon said yesterday.

By 2016, the government's mental-health promotion plan aims for 70 per cent of Thais to have good mental health, Surawit said. The plan also calls for 70 per cent of Thai children to have up-to-standard emotional and intelligence-quotient levels, a lowering of the suicide rate to under 6.5 per 100,000 people, and 80 per cent of psychiatric patients to be treated.

Surawit also announced the donation of 47 rai (7.5 hectares) of land from Boon Chartpanich in Phitsanulok's Wang Thong district. Plans are to build the 200-bed Phitsanulok Psychiatric Hospital at a cost of Bt360 million. Construction will begin in 2014.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-20

Greed, not caring for others anymore with those who are higher in the food chain showing the example in the way of corruption - is probably not good for the hearth and mind.

With the population of; 69.5 million people in 2011 and the guess of "only 70%" of mental-free Thais by 2016, that still leaves 6,000,000 Mental Thais wondering around.

Yes GOOD psychiatrists are hard to get here and most of the good ones open their own practices and charge quite a bit even on Thai standards.

30% of a population with mental care issues IS to high by any standards.

If they think they have stress now just wait until the do if ever reach the status of 1st World then see what kind of stress they will have.

Their survey does bring up a good point though and now I want to know how this would compare to a Western country or lets say USA, Britain etc. Me thinks the mods will be busy on this OP removing racial posts, flames etc. lol.

Edited by Gone

With the population of; 69.5 million people in 2011 and the guess of "only 70%" of mental-free Thais by 2016, that still leaves 6,000,000 Mental Thais wondering around.

Yes GOOD psychiatrists are hard to get here and most of the good ones open their own practices and charge quite a bit even on Thai standards.

30% of a population with mental care issues IS to high by any standards.

If they think they have stress now just wait until the do if ever reach the status of 1st World then see what kind of stress they will have.

Their survey does bring up a good point though and now I

Eyesight might be a problem too. wink.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

"Urbanisation will be more intensified in eastern Thailand and family size will be smaller, while more women will become family leaders, Dr Surawit predicted."

Looks like I'm way ahead of the game; I do what I'm told from the missus already!

• Like 1

"Urbanisation will be more intensified in eastern Thailand and family size will be smaller, while more women will become family leaders, Dr Surawit predicted."

Looks like I'm way ahead of the game; I do what I'm told from the missus already!

And you're not the only one clap2.gif

• Like 2

Thailand sees growing numbers of mental patients

Anything to to with the supposently growing influx of foreign tourists?

Half the tourists on Koh Phangan are brain damaged already or will be by the time they leave

Edited by JoeLing

........ I want to know how this would compare to a Western country or lets say USA, Britain etc. .......

I watched this documentary where this guys, Mr. Asterix and Mr Obelix said: "The Brits must be crazzy"

BTW - I only watch documentarys!!!

Edited by JoeLing

More women are already becoming family leaders essentially because it isn't too long after they're married that their beloved other halves bugger off with something a little younger......

I have the feeling that the Thai idiosyncrasy predisposes them for mental problems.

They are expected to repress their emotions, voice no dissent and accept what their "superiors" tell or demand without question, among other traits.

It can't be healthy.

More women are already becoming family leaders essentially because it isn't too long after they're married that their beloved other halves bugger off with something a little younger......

Actually I know of three situations, amongst the few Thai families I know reasonably well, where the women have taken off leaving the children with their husbands (or the husband's family). Maybe reality is something other than the beloved and comfortable stereotypes.

I have the feeling that the Thai idiosyncrasy predisposes them for mental problems.

They are expected to repress their emotions, voice no dissent and accept what their "superiors" tell or demand without question, among other traits.

It can't be healthy.

I have the feeling, judging from the typical TV message writer who feels free to let it all hang out, voices dissent on everything and questions whether anyone could possibly be superior to his/her esteemed self, among other traits, that's not the path to mental stability either.

Edited by Suradit69

crazy.gif does that include all the people in parliment pointing fingers, making accusations, throwing insults at each other, the inability to make decisions etc etc. coz thats just plain crazy, failure to take responsibility, making excuses by the hour.post-4641-1156694005.gifpost-4641-1156694005.gif Edited by jerrysteve

There was a programme on tv, may have been Discovery or BBC. They were saying Asia is headed for big problems with Alzheimers. It concentrated on S Korea, where it is called "The long goodbye." My dad and 2 of his siblings had Alzheimers, and I do sometimes wonder how Thailand would cope with it. It's not pleasant watching a loved one mentally disintegrate over time.We were lucky with dad in that the local health aurhority classed it as a terminal illness. It affects the amount of support and care the patients get in the UK

It doesn't follow that an increase in mental patients represents an increase in mental illness. It's just as likely that any increase in patient numbers arises from a more vigorous healthcare program and a more efficient patient record system. Changes in fashion for psychiatric diagnosis can result also in apparent increases in rates of mental illness as a result of more soft diagnostic categories being included e g: Vulnerable Emotional personality.The incidence of mental illness is surprisingly consistent throughout the world.