3Bb Plans Upgraded

Phil Conners

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine still the same for the primer line sad.png Downstream Line Rate (Kbps):5884 Upstream Line Rate (Kbps): 1017 Also looking on there website the primer line package seems to have gone maybe stop it or they maybe dont want to upgraded people plans and if that's the case i will think about changing ISP because that's not fair when i'm spending a lot of money each month to what other people are spending .. should be shared out equally ..

http://www.3bb.co.th/product/product_detail.php?id=2086〈=en

Edited by Notstupid30

I have also the old premier ( 3 MB ) package and this one is not being upgraded as told to me by 3BB.

But even without the upgrade my old premier is faster ( international download ) then most of their normal packages.

Because i still have to old premier package i pay 1150 Baht while the new premier is ( i believe ) 2500 baht.

Therefore by refusing the upgrade they hope that you switch to the new premier package for the new price.

While the new premier is not any faster then the old one.

• Like 1

I have also the old premier ( 3 MB ) package and this one is not being upgraded as told to me by 3BB.

But even without the upgrade my old premier is faster ( international download ) then most of their normal packages.

Because i still have to old premier package i pay 1150 Baht while the new premier is ( i believe ) 2500 baht.

Therefore by refusing the upgrade they hope that you switch to the new premier package for the new price.

While the new premier is not any faster then the old one.

I'c i can see they are going to get a earful from a lot of people about this too much of a pain in the ass running around after them i wouldn't be surprised if people move over to True plus you get a discount with the cable tv ... ? i think its something like 10 or 20% not 100% sure on that one anyway also true must be flying putting these cables down as they were adding something like 20 more provinces to there books when i read the papers like in jan ..

found what i was looking for

True Corp’s fixed line and broadband division, True Online, says that it will invest around THB8 billion (USD250 million) in the short term in its True Internet broadband operations, with the expenditure going towards projects including expanding high speed infrastructure to serve businesses in provincial areas. Bangkok-based True, which is the broadband market leader in the capital in terms of subscribers, plans to cover 36 provinces by the end of 2012 with high speed fixed network services, and 61 of Thailand’s 77 administrative regions (76 provinces plus Bangkok) by the end of next year, before continuing the rollout nationwide. The expansion plan was announced by Charoen Limkangwanmongkol, chief commercial officer of True Online, and reported by Thai newspaper The Nation. TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database says that True Online’s DOCSIS 3-based HFC cable broadband network passed 1.1 million homes in 20 provinces by February 2012, up from 16 provinces including the Bangkok Metropolitan Area in October 2011, and while the majority of True’s 1.4 million broadband subscribers were on its xDSL networks in Bangkok and other areas as of the end of March 2012, this is changing as the quadruple-play group concentrates on expanding its HFC cable network, which also supports its TrueVisions high-definition pay-TV services.

True Internet expects to grow its internet access revenues by around a third to THB8.5 billion this year, broken down as THB1.5 billion from corporate services and THB7 billion in the consumer segment, with Bangkok expected to contribute 85% of turnover and the provinces 15% over the twelve months. It is also focusing on winning corporate customers in the hotel, hospital, education and real estate sectors, The Nation’s report added. The fixed broadband unit has around 3,000 large corporate clients, or around a third of approximately 9,000 corporations using high speed services nationwide, according to its own reckoning, and it expects the corporate internet market to grow by 12% this year. General manager of True Internet, Vasu Khunvasi, said: ‘We have major competitors, [Triple T Broadband’s] 3BB and [state-owned] TOT, in the upcountry market. However, the upcountry market has high potential, since it is a start-up market. The firm will utilise network infrastructure and one-stop services to expand its customer base upcountry.’

Source http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2012/06/14/true-earmarks-usd250m-for-fixed-broadband-expansion-attacking-provincial-corporate-segments/

Edited by Notstupid30

merijn

"But even without the upgrade my old premier is faster ( international download ) then most of their normal packages."

time to move on from your rip off premier package, save yourself some money because you could not possibly be downloading at 1.6mbps as i am on the 13mb plan for 963bht.

Edited by sammycic

Just to be clear, the OP post showing the speed test results shows a download speed and ping time in ms between the OP's location and a server in BKK less than 100 miles away.

That's all INSIDE Thailand data rates, which means nothing in terms of a customer's speeds in reaching content on the Internet that's outside Thailand, as is likely the primary Internet usage for most farangs.

True does the same thing with their network in terms of how it handles speed tests, likely by caching or otherwise manipulating the connections. You'll always get the rated speed for your ISP plan, whatever that may be or be changed to by your ISP.

merijn

"But even without the upgrade my old premier is faster ( international download ) then most of their normal packages."

time to move on from your rip off premier package, save yourself some money because you could not possibly be downloading at 1.6mbps as i am on the 13mb plan for 963bht.

Thats what i'm thinking now but with True they have all new cables and servers as my area only 3bb ... Plus customer service is quality to 3bb who put the phone down on when your talking or engineer will be out tomorrow and doesn't turn up on top of this taken a day off work ...

merijn

Thats what i'm thinking now but with True they have all new cables and servers as my area only 3bb ... Plus customer service is quality to 3bb who put the phone down on when your talking or engineer will be out tomorrow and doesn't turn up on top of this taken a day off work ...

i have been with 3bb for over 4 years and have gone from 3mbps to 13mbps. I have had no trouble with their service here in Ubon. True has also run new cables everywhere here but more than happy with 3bb. 3bb do not throttle.

merijn

i have been with 3bb for over 4 years and have gone from 3mbps to 13mbps. I have had no trouble with their service here in Ubon. True has also run new cables everywhere here but more than happy with 3bb. 3bb do not throttle.

True seems a better deal when you look at the 20gb 1,299 vs 3bb 20gb 2,290THB sleep.png

28iwc1y.jpg

Edited by Notstupid30

For those who jumped on the fact that I posted as speedtest to BKK, that was just lazyness. Speedtests to US and EU show the same speed:

2192772426.png

2192774913.png

I don't think the speedtests are reliable though, I am sure they are running through some caching servers and don't show the real situation.

The bottom line though is, I had Premier 3M for years and was thinking like many of the current owners that, for the price I pay extra I surely get a better quality line, but in the end I cancelled and got 8G (at the time, now 13G) for the same price. The only difference is the much faster speed.

I think the only time you can really judge the speed is by watching online tv/video (not including Youtube which has edge servers in Thailand) or downloading torrents. Everything else is generally cached.

At most times I can easily max out my line with a popular torrent and I watch live TV from both Europe and USA with no problem. I even do both in parallel.

As for True, well I have no personal experience with actually using them. I signed up for a combined internet/satellite package once, but when they came to install the satellite package wasn't available for some reason, so I cancelled it again. From what I hear from True users they appear to be extremely good at advertising and not much else.

26 and 31 ms ping time to distant foreign countries from Thailand are 100% false results... a function of how the ISP handle speed test requests...

If it was a real result to the U.S., just based on distance alone, the result would likely be approaching 250 t0 300 ms... not 20 or 30.

Those kind of results are simply aimed at scamming the user into thinking they're getting a better ISP product than they're actually getting.

If you're happy with your internet service and it does what you need, that's great. But in the real world, you're not getting real 13 mbps and 31 ms pint times between Thailand and Dallas, TX. You might well be getting those speeds and times between your location and 3BB's local server, for whatever that is worth.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

True seems a better deal when you look at the 20gb 1,299 vs 3bb 20gb 2,290THB sleep.png

28iwc1y.jpg

Yes but you are comparing TRUE's DOCSIS packages with 3BB's ADSL packages. If you look at TRUE's ADSL prices you'll find they are similar.

http://www.asianet.co.th/THA/product_consumer_ultra_hi-speed_Internet.html

Which brings me to my first question. Does anyone know why this is so? Is it perhaps that the contention ratio is worse with DOCSIS than ADSL?

At my house I pay 1399 for a 12/1 ADSL from TRUE and 900 for a 9/.512 from TOT because that's the best available. 3BB isn't in my area. TOT say I can't have FTTH there and TRUE say I can't have DOCSIS either even though I could get it at my office about 1km away. Obviously this must have to do with cable distances but so far I haven't been able to find out exactly what, when or why. Even offering to pay for the cable laying doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Is it ever possible to convince either TRUE to extend cable or TOT to extend Fibre when it isn't already there?

I understand equipment needs to be installed at the building for VDSL.

Yes I was initially confused about that. Apparently VDSL will only work at cable lengths of a few hundred metres as opposed to ADSL's 4km or so. Was informed by TRUE that it is so far only installed in commercial buildings and a few high end condos. Don't know about 3BB - actually didn't know that they offered VDSL.

I have to agree with that. Been with them for about 8 years now, and they have actually been very good. Relative to what I hear from others that is, not relative to an ISP in a EU/US metro area of course. beatdeadhorse.gif

don't measure your speed with speedtest.net Phil. 3BB is bullshitting caching and that since years! if you want a fair evaluation of your international speed then use

http://www.broadband...dchecker.co.uk/

this is what i get with speedtest (21ms ping = big joke!) 2193100779.png

and this is my real speed

post-35218-0-64691100-1348218542_thumb.j

It's very good that they offer higher speeds for the same price, but can your and their Wiring handle it.

What is of importance, the DSL line quality as higher speeds need a different ADSL Modulation.

Check your ADSL Line Quality.

- For noise margin upstream / downstream should be greater than 15 db

- For attenuation upstream / downstream should be less than 40 db

Details:

Noise Margin

5db or below =bad, no sync/intermittent sync

8db-13db = average - and no sync issues

14db-22db = very good

23db-28db = excellent

29db-35db = rare, can throw a rock at co/remote

Line Attenuation

below 20 = rare, great copper lines, close to co/remote

20-30 = excellent

30-40 = very good

40-60 = average

60-65 = poor

65 and above will have issues

• Like 1

You need to go into your modem menus...looks around the menu selections and you should see something under Information, Statistics, Diagnostics, etc., that will give your Connection Speed, SNR, Downstream Attenuation, UpStream Attenuation, etc. It varies from modem to modem as to exactly where the info is located/how it's displayed, but once you get into the modem's menu it should be easy to find.

• Like 1

merijn

28iwc1y.jpg

And that 20Mb/2Mb True DOCSIS will actually be 21.4M/2.2Mb as shown below...I used the TOT speedtester just to use something other than Speedtest.net or the True Speedtester...but I get the same results on those tester. Been on the True DOCSIS 20Mb/2Mb plan here in Bangkok for 15 months now...been super reliable...even during the flood of late 2011 when I had around a meter of water in my moobaan for a month the service never went down...can't say the same for the folks on TOT ADSL which is the only other internet provider to our western Bangkok moobaan. Your results may vary.

post-55970-0-93931900-1348234641_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have to agree with that. Been with them for about 8 years now, and they have actually been very good. Relative to what I hear from others that is, not relative to an ISP in a EU/US metro area of course. beatdeadhorse.gif

don't measure your speed with speedtest.net Phil. 3BB is bullshitting caching and that since years! if you want a fair evaluation of your international speed then use

I thought I already made it clear that I am perfectly aware the speed tests are unreliable, but that I regularly max out my bandwidth with streaming video and torrents.

Caching btw isn't bullshit, it's a very real way of saving expensive international bandwidth for content that is downloaded more than once.

Btw your speed test gives me

112549900.jpg

which is still better than 3M for 1200 baht :)

I thought I already made it clear that I am perfectly aware the speed tests are unreliable, but that I regularly max out my bandwidth with streaming video and torrents.

Caching btw isn't bullshit, it's a very real way of saving expensive international bandwidth for content that is downloaded more than once.

Btw your speed test gives me

112549900.jpg

which is still better than 3M for 1200 baht smile.png

Caching isn't bullshit, but caching speedtests is manure.

Caching isn't bullshit, but caching speedtests is manure.

There are a couple of issues here before putting the blame entirely on ISP caching servers. 1st, a large part of the fault lies with certain speedtest programs and they do not randomize the data. If the data is randomized then caching would not effect the results as it would be 'fresh' data. 2nd, any speedtests that use Java are not known to be highly accurate due to making sliding adjustments in their algorithms such as the method of averaging.