3Bb Plans Upgraded

Phil Conners

For those who jumped on the fact that I posted as speedtest to BKK, that was just lazyness. Speedtests to US and EU show the same speed:

2192772426.png

2192774913.png

I don't think the speedtests are reliable though, I am sure they are running through some caching servers and don't show the real situation.

The bottom line though is, I had Premier 3M for years and was thinking like many of the current owners that, for the price I pay extra I surely get a better quality line, but in the end I cancelled and got 8G (at the time, now 13G) for the same price. The only difference is the much faster speed.

I think the only time you can really judge the speed is by watching online tv/video (not including Youtube which has edge servers in Thailand) or downloading torrents. Everything else is generally cached.

At most times I can easily max out my line with a popular torrent and I watch live TV from both Europe and USA with no problem. I even do both in parallel.

As for True, well I have no personal experience with actually using them. I signed up for a combined internet/satellite package once, but when they came to install the satellite package wasn't available for some reason, so I cancelled it again. From what I hear from True users they appear to be extremely good at advertising and not much else.

Unfortunately they are Cached results, they are not a true indication of your speed. The ping times show this.

You are still testing only to Thailand.

You can get the same results doing a test to middle of Africa, and the speed of light also comes into play to rule out the result.

Edited by Satcommlee

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those using speed test web sites, a good way to gauge their validity for international destinations is to look at your ping time results.

If the test result is showing you anything like 20 to 70 ms pings to Europe or the USA, you'll know the speed results are bogus.

If the test result is showing you 150 to 300 ms or so pings to Europe or the USA, then your speed results probably are valid.

The 20 to 70 ms or so pings are only going to be measuring response times to some local Thailand server.

In real life, all the international speed tests are worthless. Only the local ones have some purpose because they can used to help diagnose a local fault or confirm that your connection is working as it should be.

What's the point in knowing the speed between your PC and a server somewhere unknown which only hosts speedtests?

As Phil Conners says, he can max out his connection downloading real data. So that's it, his ISP is delivering what they say they do. There can be no argument about it.

To the contrary, an accurate speed test site hosted in a foreign country like the U.S. can be a very good indicator of what one's streaming data speeds via their Thai ISP likely will be for content originating from that area... such as from Netflix or Hulu or similar.

It's correct that traditional website speed tests don't measure the capacity for multi-threaded downloading. But there are lots of Internet uses where the user can only make use of a single thread. And that's where accurate international speed test results come into play.

To the contrary, an accurate speed test site hosted in a foreign country like the U.S. can be a very good indicator of what one's streaming data speeds via their Thai ISP likely will be for content originating from that area... such as from Netflix or Hulu or similar.

It's correct that traditional website speed tests don't measure the capacity for multi-threaded downloading. But there are lots of Internet uses where the user can only make use of a single thread. And that's where accurate international speed test results come into play.

Fair enough, I can see your point. I guess what I was arguing against is the frequent complaints that we read here about international speed test results not living up to the (fraudulently) claimed connection speed of Thai ISP's, which I don't think are valid. Put the situation in reverse by using a PC located in the US and do a speed test from there to a Thai server. That will also give a poor result - and who to blame? The local US service provider?

The point you raise above is a simple one...

For all of time, the typically advertised speed rates of Thai ISP providers have been for Thai domestic net traffic, and bear no relation to what the various plans' international data speeds will be for single stream content.

For those who don't follow these kinds of details, there's probably a common misperception that someone with a 10 Mbps Thai ISP plan ought to be getting a 10 Mbps download rate for their (non-Thailand) content.

Unfortunately, it rarely works out that way.

Just have to adapt to get your entertainment content.

Sickbeard, Headphones, Couchpotato with SabNZB - max your download 24/7 internationally :)

i also use usenet and newzbin but cant find much yo download for recently. New series seasons will start soon but even then my 20mbit line lays empty most of the time. No new pc games, not much new watchable movies etc.

so where can I get an international, or more correctly Thailand to the USA download speed test. My current interest is Hulu and Netflix, and I suspect that the sped is just not the 6+ that the TOT speed test glowingly reports.

Roku tells me that I need 1.5 minimum but from the start and stop feed I am getting it seems that TOT cannot even deliver that.

so where can I get an international, or more correctly Thailand to the USA download speed test. My current interest is Hulu and Netflix, and I suspect that the sped is just not the 6+ that the TOT speed test glowingly reports.

Roku tells me that I need 1.5 minimum but from the start and stop feed I am getting it seems that TOT cannot even deliver that.

You can try this one - DSLReports Note the warning message though as it indicates ISP compression in the upload test. (From my 3BB 13Mbps/1Mbps connection)

For the UK - BroadbandExpert

post-566-0-54111300-1348376534_thumb.jpg

1.39 to a server in California with a 168 ms ping and 4.38 with a 68 ms ping on TOT. Both tests back to back while the router internet light is flashing.

Interestingly the TOT progress blue blob slowed to a crawl during the test while the router light was flashing, but gave the somewhat optimistic result.

I am using a DNS from unblock-US.com in order to watch Hulu

Not even close to the 7 that I am paying for, and no wonder that Hulu is a problem at times

Is there anything that I can do

PS - just gave me .927 to CA at 165ms ping

Edited by Hog Head

i also use usenet and newzbin but cant find much yo download for recently. New series seasons will start soon but even then my 20mbit line lays empty most of the time. No new pc games, not much new watchable movies etc

I just leave sickbeard and couchpotato server running 24/7 on my synology NAS. So as soon as the show arrives its there.

I like couchpotato's new automation that downloads quality movies for you automatically above a certain movie rating - its downloaded some brilliant movies to watch without even lifting a finger.

• Like 1

i also use usenet and newzbin but cant find much yo download for recently. New series seasons will start soon but even then my 20mbit line lays empty most of the time. No new pc games, not much new watchable movies etc

I just leave sickbeard and couchpotato server running 24/7 on my synology NAS. So as soon as the show arrives its there.

I like couchpotato's new automation that downloads quality movies for you automatically above a certain movie rating - its downloaded some brilliant movies to watch without even lifting a finger.

My ds212j can download max 1.2 mbyte/sec with 20 connections by download station. Normally i download 2.5 mbyte/sec with 12-20 connections on laptop. Also lack of auto par and auto unrar is kinda stupid. But sabnzb have all of these features. Maybe i give it a try sometime.

Well internet went off for around 10 minutes no lights blinking on the adsl modem apart from the one telling me it's connected to the computer via the back and on the adsl modem and the D-LINK page was showing Link-Down i was getting a bit excited then to be let down again no update tight ass SOB'S 3BB whistling.gif Just started to rain in my part also ..

My ds212j can download max 1.2 mbyte/sec with 20 connections by download station. Normally i download 2.5 mbyte/sec with 12-20 connections on laptop. Also lack of auto par and auto unrar is kinda stupid. But sabnzb have all of these features. Maybe i give it a try sometime.[/color]]

Download station does seem slow to me as well. No problem maxing 16mb True using Sabnzb on synology NAS (DS1512+) the 1512 has a faster processor but i don't think that is the issue. Would be interested to hear your results on the 212.

Once you go sick beard/couchpotato on synology there is really nothing better - couldn't live without it now. Setup is not that easy but packages available for them now.

Just added a couple of synology expansion bays to the 1512. So now have 20TB with 2 disk redundancy.

Eventually will add drives to the second expansion 4TB's when they get cheaper to do a auto backup of the 20TB.

Love synology products and DSM 4.1

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 1

I'm quite impressed at my 3BB connection right now. Per my router, the ADSL signal shows 15,358 down and 1,278 up on my B900/month package which apparently was automatically upped from 9Mb/1Mb to 13Mb/1Mb.

So, I decided to test using the DSLReports test link that Tywais included above. This is what I got testing to Los Angeles:

6055.png

Are all the speedtests single-threaded apps? When I downloaded torrents with my 9Mbps plan I would often see pretty close to that full speed on multi-threaded downloads overseas. I would then check a speedtest site overseas and it would show 1 to 2 Mbps. Re-start the torrent and it would ramp back up to 9Mbps. I don't understand why the speedtests wouldn't be multi-threaded to show the maximum download.

All-in-all, though, I'm pleased with a ~7Mbps connection from Hua Hin to Los Angeles for B900/month.

Just to make sure it wasn't a "one-off" result, I just re-ran the DSLReports Los Angeles test (at 504pm Thai time, on a Monday) :

328.png

i have got them to investigate my line as we speak not a happy bunny with these upgrades i spend on our line 30,000 a year and should be entitled to something when you look at the people who spend 590THB & 900THB a month it's a joke and should not be forced into moving my package ,, because like anything with 3BB do i will just be given the run around and don't have the time for that i have better things to do ..

Are all the speedtests single-threaded apps? When I downloaded torrents with my 9Mbps plan I would often see pretty close to that full speed on multi-threaded downloads overseas. I would then check a speedtest site overseas and it would show 1 to 2 Mbps. Re-start the torrent and it would ramp back up to 9Mbps. I don't understand why the speedtests wouldn't be multi-threaded to show the maximum download.

I don't understand either. Can you imagine trying to explain that to your ISP?

Me: My single threaded speedtests are too slow

ISP: So your downloads are slow?

Me: No, my downloads run at full speed from servers all over the world.

ISP: So what's the problem then?

Me: Well as I said my speedtest results don't impress my friends. But I think it's only the single threaded ones.

ISP: Sorry, single what?

Me: That's ok thanks. Think I'll just give up doing speedtests.

Edited by Dork

AFAIK also, most or all of the common web-based speed test sites measure single stream speeds... not multi threaded downloading.

But on a PC, there are various apps that can measure the speeds of all traffic coming in and out of your individual PC's network... I have one called NetWorx installed that works for me and gives me real-time speed test results that you can configure in various ways, such as all traffic, all Ethernet traffic, all Wifi traffic, or traffic just from individual networks adapters, etc etc.

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Isn't fiber just a matter of higher possible top speeds? Would there be any reason to change from the standard 13/1M to FTTH 13/2M (other than the higher upload speed and higher cost) ?

Probably not for most people. But I think the upload speed is going to become more important as the "cloud" stuff like online back-ups become the norm.

I recently had a funny situation with my internet connection at home. Often late at night the connection would slow to a crawl and I spent hours trying to figure out why. It turned out to be that when my wife went to bed she would close her Ipad and put it on charge. That caused it to start uploading all the photo's, videos or whatever she had done that day clogging up the upload bandwidth all night.

The 3BB FTTH looks quite interesting. 2M uplink is also good for high quality video conferences.

Unfortunately my village in East Bangkok (Prawet) is TOT cabled and we can get only TOT ADSL. There seems to be contract between the village and TOT. TOT owns the lines and has the monopoly. Besides the poor international bandwidth, my USV to keep me connected during power outages does not help much, as the TOT DSLAM restarts then and sometimes I lose my DSL sync for 20 minutes, even if the power was only down for 5 seconds. Normally all telecom equippment should have some power supply backup, I thought.

I wonder how far the 2 wire exclusivity goes. If 3BB FTTH would be available in this area, would they need a contract with my village or could they just bring the fiber to my home based on a contract between them and me? Who owns the poles? Probably the electric power company. Do they have to allow all kinds of cables / fiber?

one hour of trying (including some bullsh... with speedtest.net which showed 20mbit) and the disappointing result of 3mb speed which is half the speed i am getting with 3BB DSL (1,5xx Baht) and the same speed i am getting with TOT DSL (590 Baht).

I would not expect to get better international performance, at least per single thread, but that it's just half of DSL is, well, interesting.

What I expect is better results using multiple threads, improved uplink speed and a stable last mile. But this report is disappointing.

I also would like to know if the subscriber always has to pay all the fiber installation, or if this is just for remote places, outside the official coverage area.

I can't speak for 3BB... But re Naam's comment above:

Back to 3BB DSL which i "upgraded" to nominal 20mb by paying an additional 700 Baht a month. result = no change. i get rather stable 5-6mb most of the time, sometimes it drops to 3.5-4mb.

When I and other members here have done comparisons with True Online's international single stream speeds, there was little or no appreciable download speed improvement in upgrading from say their base 7 Mbps DSL plan or 10 Mbps cable plan to their supposedly higher speed/more expensive plans, in each respective category.

I'm sure there are benefits and speed increases for content that's being accessed inside Thailand and perhaps nearby. But for single stream connections to the U.S. or Europe, having one of True's "faster" DSL or cable plans didn't pay off at all.

On the other hand, I think there probably is some benefit to be had by those who are using their internet connection for multi-threaded streaming, since the higher speed/more expensive plans do seem to provide some benefit for that kind of use -- not so much in terms of speed, but in terms of permitting a greater number of simultaneous download threads before maxing out one's connection.