Ssd Laptop - I Have To Share The Joy.......

BoonToong

I think I have never ever heard of Samsung computer products (HDD, SSD, DDR etc) until now.

The power consumption of 0.1W sounds really great. Read speed for my current HDD would be 7 times faster. Write speed 5 times faster (not sure as the OS wishes to buffer some of the writings).

What are the prices and availablibity here in Thailand for 128, 256 etc models?

I have had several SSD laptops/netbooks and they are great -- but the drive will fail without warning and there is no known recovery like the dissassembling and reading you can do on an HDD. Backup your stuff regularly! wink.png

Good to know. I thought that the biggest advantage of a ssd drive was that it would NEVER fail. Since that myth has been cleared up hereby, I don't mind to wait an extra 15 seconds for start up, over spending a fortune for an ssd disk which should be considered only big enough for an operating system and a few text files.

I have had several SSD laptops/netbooks and they are great -- but the drive will fail without warning and there is no known recovery like the dissassembling and reading you can do on an HDD. Backup your stuff regularly! wink.png

Good to know. I thought that the biggest advantage of a ssd drive was that it would NEVER fail. Since that myth has been cleared up hereby, I don't mind to wait an extra 15 seconds for start up, over spending a fortune for an ssd disk which should be considered only big enough for an operating system and a few text files.

Backups are essential in any case, HDD or SSD. HDD quite often warns with noises that it's getting broken.. and then in some cases can be put to a freezer prior restoring data from the disk.

My laptops used to do backups automatically hourly to the home NAS with simple rsync scripts. Which reminds me I have to setup that once again, before something bad happens :)

SSD brings speed for applications and if I understood correctly huge speed gains for databases.

I think I have never ever heard of Samsung computer products (HDD, SSD, DDR etc) until now.

The power consumption of 0.1W sounds really great. Read speed for my current HDD would be 7 times faster. Write speed 5 times faster (not sure as the OS wishes to buffer some of the writings).

What are the prices and availablibity here in Thailand for 128, 256 etc models?

Samsung DVD writers have been sold in Thailand for years, memory is more in finished products rather than sold in shops. Samsung hard disks have never been well marketed in Thailand, especially the better performers. I sometimes get someone to bring them over for me from the US or buy in Singapore but I'm not sure the 830 is easily available in Singapore, selling well in Australia.

There are some sellers on the Thai computer forums but I don't recall seeing any shops with them at Pantip or Fortune but if they are I'd guess a 50+% mark-up over US prices. Kingston and Intel seem to be the most popular SSDs sold locally. OCZ are common but don't always get good feedback on reliability.

Backups are essential in any case, HDD or SSD. HDD quite often warns with noises that it's getting broken.. and then in some cases can be put to a freezer prior restoring data from the disk.

My laptops used to do backups automatically hourly to the home NAS with simple rsync scripts. Which reminds me I have to setup that once again, before something bad happens smile.png

SSD brings speed for applications and if I understood correctly huge speed gains for databases.

On some SSD laptops the SSD is actually in 2 parts, one welded in usually around 4Gbs and the secondary one clip-in. The primary one is very fast and good to run the OS and some apps, while the secondary one is more for data. I had such a machine and also kept an external usb HDD with everything backed up on it - including the operating system which I fixed up to be bootable. In the end it wasn't the SSD that failed on that laptop, but the motherboard fried and a repacement was more expensive than a new laptop...... blink.png

• 2 weeks later...

I bought OCZ vertex 4 SSD from a local shop today.

I expected faster performance, but nothing like I experienced.

Installing kubuntu 12.04 to an old laptop (Thinkpad X61s) from USB disk took literally few minutes from start to fully working OS. This is really a new machine after upgrading to the SSD.

Just amazing.

I'll upgrade my main work laptop to SSD when it comes back from repairs.

I would be very wary of committing my 350Gbs of data to an SSD without a whirly backup somewhere. I have had SSD's failing after a few days up to a few years. I see no consistency in the reason/rate of failures, that includes number of writes, firmware, hardware, maker, etc. Really it seems to be a lottery still, but the speed increase for the OS is great. thumbsup.gif

I would be very wary of committing my 350Gbs of data to an SSD without a whirly backup somewhere. I have had SSD's failing after a few days up to a few years. I see no consistency in the reason/rate of failures, that includes number of writes, firmware, hardware, maker, etc. Really it seems to be a lottery still, but the speed increase for the OS is great. thumbsup.gif

Backup policy is the same with HDD. Backup with rsync (great tool for backups) every 1 or 2 hours to local NAS and on top of that using Dropbox for documents.

That way it's also easy to use 2 different computers. One for office usage and another for 'drop to a backpack'. As well as moving from one installation to another like I did today.

SSD came with 5 year warranty, which is way too much. After 2-3 years this 128GB disk will little for it's competitors sizes, which are likely to be 3-10TB.