Customs

David006

You might want to avoid using an international courier, such as DHL or Fed Ex as Customs tend to place a high value on items handled by couriers. High estimated value = high import duty.

Can you use standard registered post instead?

Failing that there is no shortage of shipping / import/export agents here.

Yeah, good luck with that - you are likely to get stung by customs to be honest...!

I had a notebook shipped over from the UK last year and ended up having to pay over 4500 baht to get it through customs (it only cost a few hundred back in the UK, but I needed to get it back!). That was via registered post (getting a signature etc...) and not through DHL or FedEx.

I'm not sure whether I was just extremely unlucky or what? But don't be at all surprised if you end up paying the best part of 10,000 baht to get your hands on both of these tablets!?

Sometimes things sent over to me slip through without me having to pay, but I have never got away with anything that had more than a small amount of value get through without having to part with some cash at the post office (which is where you ultimately end up paying). Especially if they are being sent directly from a business!

The best way to do it, would be to let someone bring them over as hand luggage if you know anyone coming over soon?? Obviously, that may not be an option for you though...?

Like I say; good luck and let us know how much it did cost you in the end?! thumbsup.gif

What do you mean by a "few"?

If they are for personal use you'll probably have to pay a "few" thousand baht, but if your "few" is a "few" more than just a "few" and intended for sale then you'll probably end up paying a "few" thousand baht more.

• Like 1

It depends on what you mean by a "few". If a "few" is like one or two for personal use then you'll probably have to pay a "few" thousand baht depending on the mood of the customs officer. If your "few" is a "few" more and intended for sale then you'll probably have to pay a "few" thousand baht more.

I shipped about twenty of my used books, and fifty CD's over a "few" years ago and had to pay 5,000 baht!!! I was furious but had no choice.

Edit: Sorry about the double posting. My computer just seemed to be hanging the first time I posted so I cancelled and posted again. Still hanging, by the way.

Edited by petedk

thx all.....exactly what I suspected....nothing hard and fast.....

will probably have 'em sent to a Canadian address and hand carry on my next trip. Alternatively maybe to multiple addresses here.

to the few witty fellows .......a few is more than two....and cost less cost than YS's

Main pont is stay away from Couriers when receiving in Thailand. The "extra's" will be mind blowing, and its not always the actual customs authority either, its the agent in Thailand stating it is, to get more money from Ferangs.

Edited by CharlieH