Report Button Facility

marshbags

If a member uses this facility with good intentions for whatever reason and presumably interacting with moderators and admin.

They then take time to courteously explain the reason / s for doing so and in many cases giving a heads up to moderators that a certain post is questionable, surely it should be at the very least acknowledged by whoever takes the report.

While I appreciate the reasons for strict enforcement relating to discussing moderating issues on the forum, returning a simple courteous reply that it has been received by this permitted facilty and is being attended to in no way questions the moderating issues kindly raised by whoever takes the time to use the facility.

As it is presumably done in private and we are encouraged / advised regulary to use it by moderators if we feel something is questionable, the courteousy should IMHO be reciprocated by whoever reads it.

I would also like to think that as a personal report is submitted, and we cannot go into discussion on the subject matter raised, at the very least members deserve a personal acknowledgement in return and not an automatic " your report is being dealt with "

Taking time out to do a report on whatever has been noted should be / deserves a brief response at the very least, otherwise it does not encourage further reporting and gives the wrong impression and some members will think it is a waste of time,sadly I am beginning to get this impression also.

It takes very little time to say thank you for reporting and is a deserved way of of showing appreciation for their motives, ( if genuine )which are after all to better and protect Thai Visa,s well thought of reputation and image.

Civility costs nothing after all

Thank you

marshbags

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

How is this going to help increase revenue?

Thanks for acknowleging my post SaNim and your support.

Reciprocated courteousy has nothing to do with revenue and could be taken, give out a cynical arrogant attitude if taken the wrong way and not returned in kind.

marshbags ( there should be a friendly winking face here SN but my emoto,s for whatever reason are not accessible. )

Edited by marshbags

In my view the report button is a way of indicating to the moderator content which may need a decision from them. It is they who make the decision on what to do with it. It is easily checked on. If the content remains unedited it indicated the postis within TV rules.

I am more concerned about where a post is deleted by a mod. I feel at least an automated notification should be sent to the poster indicating a post has been removed/edited and who to contact for queries. This would be polite to the poster and also have an education function on showing what is not acceptible and why.

• Like 1

First of all regarding Thai Visa, we have much to appreciate as members and should remember that in the early days going back the period when it first started.

George, Doc and others did not envisage or appreciate, i,m sure that it would become the success it is today.

They invested in the concept for other reasons and could have lost finacially if that was their objective at the time.

They deserve the rewards it is bringing to them now just as any entrepreneur with brave initiative does and as I see genuine good luck to them, they have earned it.

We are all winners in this situation and have a briliant informative forum to prove it, IMHO, with deserved recognition and thanks due to George, Doc and others who kicked it off for us in 2002.

My beef is a simple question of courteousy and common reciprication of it.

This is not challenging moderation but as Harry points out in a similar vein relating to notification and in my case acknowledgement.

Civilty should be a two way thing and there is no excuse for non reciprication / giving it back in return.

If it isn,t then Thai Visa and us it,s members both loose out.

Respectfully offered to everyone with Puyai George at the top of the credits.

marshbags

P.S.

No, I am not being paid to submit this observation, I am my own man and as I always have been and continue to do so, to post my thoughts unprompted as I go along.

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

I think you are right marshbags, but i always try to keep in mind, in any matter regarding moderation, that the team that has this thankless task, are unpaid volunteers taking time out of their own day to keep the forum running smoothly.

Personally, i have never understood why anyone would take on such a job with no remuneration, but that they do, and i therefore understand why they sometimes perhaps don't feel inclined spending more time than they already are, sending the sort of PMs you mention. I agree though, they would be appreciated.

I think you are right marshbags, but i always try to keep in mind, in any matter regarding moderation, that the team that has this thankless task, are unpaid volunteers taking time out of their own day to keep the forum running smoothly.

Personally, i have never understood why anyone would take on such a job with no remuneration, but that they do, and i therefore understand why they sometimes perhaps don't feel inclined spending more time than they already are, sending the sort of PMs you mention. I agree though, they would be appreciated.

Definitely not a reference to what you have posted Rixalex just an extention of it.

Perhaps I used to be spoilt but I always received notification initially when my posts were questionable and it was always fair comment / moderation I must add.

I mentioned the PMing based on then, but again basic communication civily given, especially when taking time out to file a report should likewise returned, after all we all have other important things to take care of, well most of us anyway.

If I was to just active the report button without a message for example, no one would have a clue what is happening just as we don,t in this situation.

marshbags

Definitely not a reference to what you have posted Rixalex just an extention of it.

Perhaps I used to be spoilt but I always received notification initially when my posts were questionable and it was always fair comment / moderation I must add.

I mentioned the PMing based on then, but again basic communication civily given, especially when taking time out to file a report should likewise returned, after all we all have other important things to take care of, well most of us anyway.

If I was to just active the report button without a message for example, no one would have a clue what is happening just as we don,t in this situation.

marshbags

I agree that the old style of sending friendly messages asking folks to tone it down or leave it has disappeared recently.

It does seem to be a more confrontational style of managing things from my perspective at least.

All it has served in my case is I will post less and less on certain parts of the forum.

• Like 2

I've used "Report" a few times over the years. Every time I've done it, I've always received a politely worded PM from the mod who picked up the report to tell me what further action was taken (if any).

I have used it on a few occasions and only once reveived a direct reply.

Not that it concerns me, only for info on this thread.

Its always appreciated to receive a Pm or message on the board if my post is removed for a particular reason though, rather than it being added to a mod's tally of offences a quick note can nip issues in the bud.

Just my two cents....especially with long term members and a forum which has become less tolerant of certain things over the years.

Many of us do not see such changes of policy so clearly always and it does nothing for good relations to go on the forum and find you cannot post for a reason which was always fine previously.

Finally a recognition to the mods....not having a go here, just offering an opinion, its a difficult and thankless task at times, most of us do appreciate that. :)

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 2

not sure what the OP is after, a pat on the back, a detailed summary of judgment, a thank you, a reward?

I would also like to think that as a personal report is submitted, and we cannot go into discussion on the subject matter raised, at the very least members deserve a personal acknowledgement in return and not an automatic " your report is being dealt with "

Taking time out to do a report on whatever has been noted should be / deserves a brief response at the very least, otherwise it does not encourage further reporting and gives the wrong impression and some members will think it is a waste of time,sadly I am beginning to get this impression also.

it sounds needy like you are seeking attention. did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, you are pushing that button just a little too often?

imagine the boy who cried wolf.

Perhaps you are not so much being ignored as not being encouraged.

this thread reminds me of another thread a group of members chastising another member for coming back to a thread to thank them for their input After a mere 24 hours!

maybe it is time to reconsider what you expect from the forum.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

so what you are saying is you wont dont it for free? ;)

so what you are saying is you wont dont it for free? wink.png

Don't lower the tone please James, there's a good chap.

• Like 1

so what you are saying is you wont dont it for free? wink.png

Don't lower the tone please James, there's a good chap.

ah smokes, they keep lads like us around to make the rest look better. A few bad eggs makes the rest of the chickens cluck in tow

• Like 1

not sure what the OP is after, a pat on the back, a detailed summary of judgment, a thank you, a reward?

it sounds needy like you are seeking attention. did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, you are pushing that button just a little too often?

this thread reminds me of another thread a group of members chastising another member for coming back to a thread to thank them for their input After a mere 24 hours!

May I humbly suggest you look back on my input from 2005 to get an idea of my persona what you cannot access on here, due to it only going back a couple of years, you can easily find elsewhere.

What I say is what I think, I do not consider reward nor a pathetic pat on the back for simply offering my take on how the forum performs give due credit were it is due and although it is limited out of consideration for the rules what I consider fair criticsm.

My objectives being for the betterment of Thai Visa members which include myself.

I,d really like to post my reactions to your observations, but sadly I,d be barred indefinitely.

The report button in my case is not frequently used, more so now due to reasons at least one other member has highlghted.

I am recently back from a long, self imposed holiday on myself to refletk on my participation,

came back recently with private encouragement, LOW KEY and at present I am happy to offer my contributions and try to add positives to our membership.

I am not a yes man and do not hold back with my thoughts, while always taking on board, how much I can say and being what I consider diplomatic in my comments and being within forum guidelines....most of the time anyway.

I am an annonymous person on this forum as indeed most members are, so why on earth would I want recognistion in the ways you describe, they are totally meaningless IMHO and way off mark.

On the other hand, if we can have a friendlier relationship between all of us, courteous acknowledgements and civility when using the facilities,I will take that as a worthwhile reward not only for me but everybody.

It,s nice to be nice and courteous and most definitely not cynical and self rewarding.

marshbags

P.S

You really had to be here in the earlier years to appreciate Thai Visa, it,s inception and the importance of recognising our founder members, not for the motives you have highlighted but simply because they truly deserve it and we should always be grateful to them for this briliant, informative forum we have.

Without them it would not have existed.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

May I humbly suggest you look back on my input from 2005 to get an idea of my persona what you cannot access on here, due to it only going back a couple of years, you can easily find elsewhere.

What I say is what I think, I do not consider reward nor a pathetic pat on the back for simply offering my take on how the forum performs give due credit were it is due and although it is limited out of consideration for the rules what I consider fair criticsm.

My objectives being for the betterment of Thai Visa members which include myself.

I,d really like to post my reactions to your observations, but sadly I,d be barred indefinitely.

The report button in my case is not frequently used, more so now due to reasons at least one other member has highlghted.

I am recently back from a long, self imposed holiday on myself to refletk on my participation,

came back recently with private encouragement, LOW KEY and at present I am happy to offer my contributions and try to add positives to our membership.

I am not a yes man and do not hold back with my thoughts, while always taking on board, how much I can say and being what I consider diplomatic in my comments and being within forum guidelines....most of the time anyway.

I am an annonymous person on this forum as indeed most members are, so why on earth would I want recognistion in the ways you describe, they are totally meaningless IMHO and way off mark.

On the other hand, if we can have a friendlier relationship between all of us, courteous acknowledgements and civility when using the facilities,I will take that as a worthwhile reward not only for me but everybody.

It,s nice to be nice and courteous and most definitely not cynical and self rewarding.

marshbags

P.S

You really had to be here in the earlier years to appreciate Thai Visa, it,s inception and the importance of recognising our founder members, not for the motives you have highlighted but simply because they truly deserve it and we should always be grateful to them for this briliant, informative forum we have.

Without them it would not have existed.

marshbags

Im sorry, nothing you have said makes me believe my earlier post was off the mark.

Your "long, self imposed holiday on myself to refletk on ... [YOUR] participation" and the admission that you returned with "private encouragement" seem to bear out my theory.

you hark back to a bygone era of thaivisa, one that for one reason or another i am not unfamiliar with.

Thaivisa has changed. All things change.

The Thaivisa of 2005-2006 has evolved out of sheer necessity. With 6835 pages of member names at 20 names per page on the current list of forum participants without excluding banned members that is over 130,000 people who have signed up. I would suggest the vast majority of those people have singed up in the past 6 years. Even if only half of those remain semi-active, that is still 65,000 members.

Likewise thaivisa is a business where before it was a community. The thaivisa you speak of was not busy pandering to sponsors and keeping a close eye on which topics are appearing at the head of the search engine results.

to draw a parallel, to expect the same level of attention you receive bangkok as you would receive in the moo baan is fantasy.

regarding "our founding members" i suspect you regard them more highly than admin. the sheer number of members on permanent vacation suggests that the powers that be are not as mired in nostalgia as you.

i would also suggest that the lack of any official response to this thread is fairly telling

• Like 1

marshbags

I agree that the old style of sending friendly messages asking folks to tone it down or leave it has disappeared recently.

It does seem to be a more confrontational style of managing things from my perspective at least.

All it has served in my case is I will post less and less on certain parts of the forum.

Confrontational? really?

Do you have some sort of problem buddy?

marshbags

Confrontational? really?

Do you have some sort of problem buddy?

Perish the thought. coffee1.gif

Im sorry, nothing you have said makes me believe my earlier post was off the mark.

Your "long, self imposed holiday on myself to refletk on ... [YOUR] participation" and the admission that you returned with "private encouragement" seem to bear out my theory.

you hark back to a bygone era of thaivisa, one that for one reason or another i am not unfamiliar with.

The Thaivisa of 2005-2006 has evolved out of sheer necessity. With 6835 pages of member names at 20 names per page on the current list of forum participants without excluding banned members that is over 130,000 people who have signed up. I would suggest the vast majority of those people have singed up in the past 6 years. Even if only half of those remain semi-active, that is still 65,000 members.

Likewise thaivisa is a business where before it was a community. The thaivisa you speak of was not busy pandering to sponsors and keeping a close eye on which topics are appearing at the head of the search engine results.

to draw a parallel, to expect the same level of attention you receive bangkok as you would receive in the moo baan is fantasy.

regarding "our founding members" i suspect you regard them more highly than admin. the sheer number of members on permanent vacation suggests that the powers that be are not as mired in nostalgia as you.

i would also suggest that the lack of any official response to this thread is fairly telling

Your earlier belittling assumptions about marshbags reporting too often, crying wolf, being needy, combined with your comments above about being familiar with the bygone Thaivisa era, makes you sound like someone who fell foul of moderating in a past life and has returned with a chip on your shoulder and resentment for any member who hasn't fallen foul. Just the way it sounds.

• Like 1

Your earlier belittling assumptions about marshbags reporting too often, crying wolf, being needy, combined with your comments above about being familiar with the bygone Thaivisa era, makes you sound like someone who fell foul of moderating in a past life and has returned with a chip on your shoulder and resentment for any member who hasn't fallen foul. Just the way it sounds.

i will leave you to speculate on my intentions, but I will say i have little issue with moderation here. it is what is. moderation is part of the thai visa experience

I accept that. i too have used the report button.

As for marshbags, i was merely offering up a theory as to why he was not getting the attention he deserved in the context of the information he provided.

I bear him no ill will. in fact i believe this is the first time i have ever made comment on one of his posts, though i may be wrong.

if your theory were true i would be likely to have issues with you too.

Edited by tinfoilhat

I find there is adequate interaction regarding the running of the forum, no way the MODS can be expected to faff about being polite and responding to every report, let them use their donated time efficiently and deal with the said report.

That,s your take on my basics and I don,t have a problem with your point of view.

However I still believe courteous response and civility are paramount and should be reciprocated or interaction for me, as I see it, will continue to discourage members from using the facility.

I also think there should be some feedback on any matters raised, when it is reasonable to expect it and it is applicable.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

i will leave you to speculate on my intentions,

Why the need for that? Why not just be open and say what they are?

I bear him no ill will. in fact i believe this is the first time i have ever made comment on one of his posts, though i may be wrong.

You bear him no ill but you made quite a lot of assumptions about him drawing from not much information, don't you think? The bit about saying that he had been crying wolf and that was why mods were not responding to him, to give him the hint to stop reporting people. Do you really think you are in a position to conclude that? On the basis of what? And then you went on to explain to him the reasons why in this day and age the forum can't respond in the same personal manner to people as it may have done before. So what happened to your earlier theory about them intentionally ignoring him because of being an annoying tell-tale?

How do I know that you don't? wink.png

I find there is adequate interaction regarding the running of the forum, no way the MODS can be expected to faff about being polite and responding to every report, let them use their donated time efficiently and deal with the said report.

That,s your take on my basics and I don,t have a problem with your point of view.

However I still believe courteous response and civility are paramount and should be reciprocated or interaction for me, as I see it, will continue to discourage members from using the facility.

I also think there should be some feedback on any matters raised, when it is reasonable to expect it and it is applicable.

marshbags

There is feedback on matters raised WHEN it is reasonable to expect it and it is applicable.

Sent from my HTC phone.

i will leave you to speculate on my intentions,

Why the need for that? Why not just be open and say what they are?

You bear him no ill but you made quite a lot of assumptions about him drawing from not much information, don't you think? The bit about saying that he had been crying wolf and that was why mods were not responding to him, to give him the hint to stop reporting people. Do you really think you are in a position to conclude that? On the basis of what? And then you went on to explain to him the reasons why in this day and age the forum can't respond in the same personal manner to people as it may have done before. So what happened to your earlier theory about them intentionally ignoring him because of being an annoying tell-tale?

How do I know that you don't? wink.png

oh my, if you read the post again i was not accusing the fellow of anything, i was speculating. I put forth a theory.

i used terms like perhaps, and maybe.

I said imagine the boy who cried wolf .

We are alowed to speculate endlessly on the cause of any accidental death reported in the news here on Thaivisa, yet to speculate on the remarks of a dissatisfied member is taboo?

later, once he began to wax lyrical on the old days, i pointed out that this is NOT the old days and offered up my perspective on what has changed.

He voiced his opinion, i voiced mine. if it was erroneous, he can correct it. One thing is clear, however, he has certain expectations of the forum in general and admin in particular and they are not being met, hence his complaint.

I notice that, still, no response from that quarter is forthcoming.

perhaps if someone were to report the thread ......

You are to be commended for your spirited defense of marshbags and i hope he takes the time to thank you personally.

I bow out now as i have spoke my peace (piece?), and would not wish to add further disillusionment to the OP.

Edited by tinfoilhat

I have forwarded the suggestions to the software developer.

Thanks! Cheers

huh? i was not aware that any suggestions regarding software had been made. The OP was requesting personal acknowledgement.

From The OP:

at the very least members deserve a personal acknowledgement in return and not an automatic " your report is being dealt with "
  • Like 1

I notice still no response on what these mysterious intentions of yours are that you wish to be left for speculation.

You are to be commended for your spirited defense of marshbags and i hope he takes the time to thank you personally.

It wasn't my intention to particularly defend marshbags - why would i? don't know him - and i'm sure he is capable of defending himself - i was just giving my opinion on what you had said about him, that i thought was a little unfair and unfounded.

I notice still no response on what these mysterious intentions of yours are that you wish to be left for speculation.

It wasn't my intention to particularly defend marshbags - why would i? don't know him - and i'm sure he is capable of defending himself - i was just giving my opinion on what you had said about him, that i thought was a little unfair and unfounded.

fair enough, enjoy the f1.