Report Button Facility

marshbags

George posted in the right topic and has a concept being considered to send to the developers.

To give you an idea of the difficulty of notifying every reporter, so far today there have been 17 reports submitted, all dealt with in a timely fashion. Some days reports machine gun in and just trying to keep up with them, much less submitting a notification PM to the reporter, just makes the job more difficult and takes time from continuous monitoring of the forum. This has nothing to do with civility but all to do with efficiency of maintaining a very large and growing forum. Of course there are times when a mod may reply to the reporter to either seek clarification or otherwise when two way communication is needed to settle it. It's just gotten more difficult over time due to the shear volume of posts that have increased. That's why now is not yesterday. wink.png

If a report requires removal of a post there is another problem. Sometimes the offending post is repeated in following quotes by other members and as such either has to be edited, but more often, removed the quoted posts also if the do not contribute to the topic. That means sending a PM to 1, 2, 3 or more members as to why it was removed. More recent procedures has now been to announce inline by the mod/admin the action taken and why so all can see including the offender(s).

I will not go into too much detail of the Reporting system itself other than that when a report arrives it shows up in bold red text at the top of every page that reports are pending, and every mod/admin can very easily see it and take action.

and then of course there is the personal letter of acknowledgement that posters deserve, at the very least.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Thanks for the insight Tywais. I did often wonder how reports appear in you guys' inboxes.

Totally understandable that sometimes reports might flood in, especially if a particularly offensive post appears that loads of people report. Most members realise, I think, that you can't be expected to send a follow up message to every reporter, and I don't think the lack of such follow ups deters most people from using the report button (the OP being an exception it seems).

Edited by dantilley
  • Like 2

As a last response to your twisting of commnents to mean other things and suit your preferred versions I was going to ignore your attempts at intimidation but reckon your further comments to Rixalex are unjust to say the least.

He is doing what any reasonable member would do in these circumstsnces and perhaps you can take onboard his example which is to support issues and members who submit IMHO fair comment for the betterment of Thai Visa forum and us it,s members.

Respect and Kudos are in order for him, as you have already observed.

Comradery is another important part of our membership and adds to all that is good about Thai Visa forum.

Sure we all disagree sometimes, but the positive members will always support one another and is yet another part of our assets.

marshbags

i'm sorry you feel i am being intimidating, though i suspect that that was your impression alone, and that rixalex may not have found me as scary as you purport.

nor do i see how i was twisting comments.

I was under the impression that you felt neglected, that your efforts to create a fair and just forum for all to post in were being under appreciated and that your efforts to use the report button were not receiving the acknowledgement that you felt they deserved. In case i have gotten this wrong, i will post your own words below:

As it is presumably done in private and we are encouraged / advised regularly to use it by moderators if we feel something is questionable, the courteousy should IMHO be reciprocated by whoever reads it.

I would also like to think that as a personal report is submitted, and we cannot go into discussion on the subject matter raised, at the very least members deserve a personal acknowledgement in return and not an automatic " your report is being dealt with "

Taking time out to do a report on whatever has been noted should be / deserves a brief response at the very least, otherwise it does not encourage further reporting and gives the wrong impression and some members will think it is a waste of time,sadly I am beginning to get this impression also.

so was i out of line in 'assuming' that you feel a response is owed you or your efforts will seem a waste of time. am i twisting your words or merely quoting them?

I have quoted you verbatim here, and it seems to me your dissatisfaction with the lack of response you receive for your participation is pretty clearly spelled out.

the thing is, you typed the words, not me, and they are there to be read by all, comrades or otherwise.

the thing is, i find your premise questionable, and i figured i owed you the courtesy of reciprocating, if only to assert that i find the current situation acceptable, and that i do not feel that anyone should require acknowledgement for doing what they believe is right. doing right should be its own reward.

certainly if time permits, acknowledgment would be nice but as Tywais quite clearly states, and as i mentioned in another post:

This has nothing to do with civility but all to do with efficiency of maintaining a very large and growing forum. Of course there are times when a mod may reply to the reporter to either seek clarification or otherwise when two way communication is needed to settle it. It's just gotten more difficult over time due to the shear volume of posts that have increased. That's why now is not yesterday.

so, we must move with the times and accept things as they now are. now is not 2005 and you are unreasonable to expect to be treated as if it were.

OK guys enough with the bickering. Tywais has given you a very reasonable explanation. Frankly marshbags, I can tell you what it costs me, my time. It may not be valuable to you but it is to me.

So, george is going to look into some kind of notification to reporters, if its possible even and you will just have to understand that this is an extremely busy forum with alot going on and any report you make is appreciated.

Thanks

//CLOSED//

• Like 1