British Invasion?

KRS1

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The British sense of humour and American sense of humour are miles a part, I have seem this first hand when I worked in the states for a while

Well since we are on the subject, could someone please explain to me Monty Python. I still don't get it.

If you do not get it now u will not get it later.

I find parts of python funny...other parts...well, they are getting a bit dated and corny now

• Like 1

Feel free to post excerpts from Ricky Ponting's new book "Dealing with Humiliation and Failure Part II".

The irony is that ole' smokes doesn't even particulary like the fine game of Cricket ... Tennis, for him, that's a different ball game.

Love a good Ashes tour....mind you beating a mediocre Aussie team is no great achievement....not like the 2006 victory...now that was one for any Brit to savour!

Come-on smokes ... you have to better then that to get we Aussies to rise to the bait ... rolleyes.gif ... all a bit medium paced ... whistling.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

The British sense of humour and American sense of humour are miles a part, I have seem this first hand when I worked in the states for a while

Well since we are on the subject, could someone please explain to me Monty Python. I still don't get it.

What Monty Python have you watched? Some bits are FAR more accessible than other bits. Flying circus is tough, whereas Life of Brian is more accessible.

Should appeal to most people instantly. Age old, copied into this sketch and copied again and again and again globally (Thai comedy has plenty of slap-stick).

• Like 2

The American sense of humour is not too far off from the British, imo we just take more time to get to know someone before 'shooting the shit' (takin the piss)...but when we do, we probably mess with you more than a Brit would !

The British sense of humour and American sense of humour are miles a part, I have seem this first hand when I worked in the states for a while, futher you only have to look at the British comedy shows which have been imported into the states over the last few years and had to be adapted the the US sense of humour, the two that spring to mind are "The office" and "Shameless"....

If they used "Shamless" in its orginal form in the US, there would be an uproar, as dont think the US has come to grips with the concept of black comedy as yet

It's not that British and American humour are miles apart, it's probably the fact that you guys sound funny and they didnt understand what the hell you were saying !

I prefer good ol' American comedy

edit: I know you laughed

Edited by KRS1

Truthfully though, submaniac, all comedy is accessed through cultural understanding. Spend a couple of years in England and you will find the following sketch compilation brilliant. Without it there is no reference and it appears pointless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QDz3c3Auw

American comedy blows hot and cold for most of the world, but with the continual export of American sitcoms there are plenty of handles for most people globally. Remove language and cultural reference from comedy and it becomes global. Mr Bean is a global standard and Benny Hill is pretty much up there with it (more language, but plenty of physical humour).

--EDIT--

Sorry, to take this off-topic. Let's bring it back. Yeah, Britain is great and we're here to take over ThaiVisa. Hope that helps :)

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 2

Guess you have to look at what the likes of Spike Milligan, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (yes the one in Arthur) were doing before Monty Python came along, in some respects it was extension of that, ie making a mockery of the British establishment/way of life, being absurd to the extreme etc...for the BBC at the time, it was ground breaking and continued into the 80" with likes of "Not the nine oclock news" which is were "Mr Bean" got his start....Rowen Atkinson then got into Black Adder and finally Mr Bean, but they are all similar types of humour

• Like 1

I find parts of python funny...other parts...well, they are getting a bit dated and corny now

But they come up with the funniest line in the English language...." He's not the messiah...he's a very naughty boy"

But they come up with the funniest line in the English language...." He's not the messiah...he's a very naughty boy"

Yes.. well...time, place and mood.

Feel free to post excerpts from Ricky Ponting's new book "Dealing with Humiliation and Failure Part II".

The irony is that ole' smokes doesn't even particulary like the fine game of Cricket ... Tennis, for him, that's a different ball game.

Love a good Ashes tour....mind you beating a mediocre Aussie team is no great achievement....not like the 2006 victory...now that was one for any Brit to savour!

Come-on smokes ... you have to better then that to get we Aussies to rise to the bait ... rolleyes.gif ... all a bit medium paced ... whistling.gif

You're not the target David. If you look closer you will smell a tennis reference....whistling.gif

Let's get the ball rolling

Fawlty Towers

The IT Crowd-Draftvader that is for you

Mr. Bean

Keeping Up Appreances (Mrs Bucket)

Gavin and Stacey

The Royle Family

The Office

Only Fools and Horses

Friday Night Dinner

Not the nine oclock news

Black adder

Shameless

The Young ones

Yes and we all come here on our flying umbrellas.

I knew it! I knew it! And finally I found one who admits it!

And all the women are straight out of Jane Austen regency novels.

What a lot of American's dont realise is that one of the UK finest/funniest comedians is acting in one of their series..."House"....Hugh Laurie, they need to go and have a look at what he was doing in Black Adder..

I still don't get that how we can change our accent so easily, ever trying saying prawcess instead of process. Allan Cumming has thick Scot accent as you can get and he sounds American.

You're not the target David. If you look closer you will smell a tennis reference....whistling.gif

Australia is in a cricket slump right now and England has every right to gloat. I would be too after 20 years of cricketing wilderness

• Like 2

Let's get the ball rolling

Fawlty Towers

The IT Crowd-Draftvader that is for you

Mr. Bean

Keeping Up Appreances (Mrs Bucket)

Gavin and Stacey

The Royle Family

The Office

Only Fools and Horses

Friday Night Dinner

Not the nine oclock news

Black adder

Shameless

The Young ones

Some very good British comedies in these lists.

Dont forget

The Two Ronnies

• Like 1

Yes and we all come here on our flying umbrellas.

I knew it! I knew it! And finally I found one who admits it!

And all the women are straight out of Jane Austen regency novels.

What a lot of American's dont realise is that one of the UK finest/funniest comedians is acting in one of their series..."House"....Hugh Laurie, they need to go and have a look at what he was doing in Black Adder..

I still don't get that how we can change our accent so easily, ever trying saying prawcess instead of process. Allan Cumming has thick Scot accent as you can get and he sounds American.

Is not because being brought up in the UK, people are exposed to so many different accents, their ears are tuned in more to recognising the differences and them imitating what they are hearing

..... I see the OP is "on an extended vacation" in the L.A. allegedly watching "old chubby men with unshaven faces walking around in drag"..... Have all our brollies and bowlers scared him off? What a bunch of jolly rascals we are.

So sorry, old boy. Do pop back for a spot of tiffin soon..

Toodle pip wink.png

Just checked the forum rules, and can't find one that says "Colonials only"..... but don't worry, no one is going to make you feel in any way inferior......unless you give us good reason... whistling.gif

Was just asking if there were more Brits than usual.

Is it normal behavior to lie and twist words around, or is it a part of being British?

edit: what the hell is a Toodle pip ?

See you still havent found that sense of humour then??

One of the better threads for brilliant one liners.

Some would say the greaest gifts from England and its immediate neighbours was the concept of a parliament, or the rule of law, or even the steam engine and the industrial revolution.

I say it is the gift of humour. They may no longer make a decent pair of shoes in England or weave beautiful linens in Scotland, but they still manufacture happiness and laughter.

• Like 1