British Invasion?

KRS1

When you say British, can I just clarify that soon the Scots will be evicted from the Union, but for the sake of this argument that doesn't really matter as they don't speak English anyway, that's why they have to go.

I expect you are right though, most Brits can't come to Thailand anymore due to the pound being relegated to the pence. So they just hang around on forums like this, hoping for a miracle.

Toodle pip, old chap, kettle's boiling and I must prepare for the tea party.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morecombe and Wise

Dick Emery

Oh you are awful ! ....but I like you !

What about the "Carry On " team and "On the buses"

"Open ALL hours"

Roy "Chubby Brown "........ya fat B'stard

Billy Connolly

Dave Allen

Edited by CharlieH

"over paid, over sexed, and over here"

Havnt met an American yet who wasnt loud, il-mannered and a show off, and was either a retired Seal or hitman.....but couldnt talk about it,

extremely wealthy, naturally and the only correct opinion was theirs, and if they wanted your opinion they would give that to you too.

Sorry chaps, but only speaking as I find.

On the flip side, the Aussies I have encountered seem to be genuine, down to earth types, but like the drink a little too much but that's probably just me as I dont drink and tend to notice those that do more. I think the phrase "rough diamond" comes to mind with our Australian fellows.

We cant help it if we're always right. Best thing to do is to learn how to deal with it and ask a lot of questions.

...and stop asking us to borrow money.

Dont worry we'll just keep inventing things and give them to you, Harriers ok are they or have you mastered that F35 yet?? better late than never eh, well its only 50 years between emwhistling.giftongue.png

everytime you flip that light switch remember who invented the light bulb and the stealth fighter cool.png

You guys make some great beer (ale) though !... Love Newcastle !

Wasnt that the one shot down b y the Serbs or Croats???

Development of stealth technology likely began in Germany during World War II.

Look Ill give it you if you spank me nicely over a cup of Bovril???

When you say British, can I just clarify that soon the Scots will be evicted from the Union, but for the sake of this argument that doesn't really matter as they don't speak English anyway, that's why they have to go.

I expect you are right though, most Brits can't come to Thailand anymore due to the pound being relegated to the pence. So they just hang around on forums like this, hoping for a miracle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNQU6huKwk

Soutpeel and Draftvader, thank you for attempting to explain Monty Python and the basics of...ummm British comedy to me. Ok, I admit there is some Monty Python I like such as the Holy Grail's "I fart in your general direction you stinking English dogs". That I got. That was funny. The Life of Brian "he's not the messiah just a naughty boy". Funny "what did the Romans ever do for us besides plumbing, education, libraries..." that I thought was funny too. The other Monty Python stuff...well yeah, I don't really get it.

All the other British comedy here (aside from Benny Hill, which I did watch when I was a kid and thought was funny) I have no clue about. Like never heard of it before.

I also add that I don't really find Thai slapstick that funny (actually neither do my other Thai family members; actually I don't know who watches it).

Based upon this thread, I believe the firm conclusion is the British have taken over the board. (For now at least; we'll see once tourist season heads up again :) ) Basically I think the number of British outnumbers any other nationality. (And I see the Australians have not shown up to defend themselves!!! Damnit, the Aussies are usually the funny ones.) Keep in mind I'm not complaining.

But people thought this thread was originally a "Brit bash"...and it has turned into a celebration of things British (comedy, TV music). Frankly I think the British are entitled. They have been bashed lately (and yes even by me! :D) so I say go for it. I'm a proud Thai. You folks are entitled to be proud to be British.

and the stealth fighter cool.png

which would be as useful as a chocolate teapot without the jet engine...go look up Frank Whittle..thumbsup.gif

He should check out Faradays contribution towards the light bulb too!

You guys couldnt get it to work practically. An American had to perfect it.

as always.

Soutpeel and Draftvader, thank you for attempting to explain Monty Python and the basics of...ummm British comedy to me. Ok, I admit there is some Monty Python I like such as the Holy Grail's "I fart in your general direction you stinking English dogs". That I got. That was funny. The Life of Brian "he's not the messiah just a naughty boy". Funny "what did the Romans ever do for us besides plumbing, education, libraries..." that I thought was funny too. The other Monty Python stuff...well yeah, I don't really get it.

All the other British comedy here (aside from Benny Hill, which I did watch when I was a kid and thought was funny) I have no clue about. Like never heard of it before.

I also add that I don't really find Thai slapstick that funny (actually neither do my other Thai family members; actually I don't know who watches it).

Based upon this thread, I believe the firm conclusion is the British have taken over the board. (For now at least; we'll see once tourist season heads up again smile.png ) Basically I think the number of British outnumbers any other nationality. (And I see the Australians have not shown up to defend themselves!!! Damnit, the Aussies are usually the funny ones.) Keep in mind I'm not complaining.

But people thought this thread was originally a "Brit bash"...and it has turned into a celebration of things British (comedy, TV music). Frankly I think the British are entitled. They have been bashed lately (and yes even by me! biggrin.png) so I say go for it. I'm a proud Thai. You folks are entitled to be proud to be British.

Maybe the difference is that you once said " we could dish it out but not take it"............unfortunately not true and to prove it we'll fight to the endtongue.png

• Like 2

which would be as useful as a chocolate teapot without the jet engine...go look up Frank Whittle..thumbsup.gif

as always.

Wasn't Edisons father a Candian ?...ergo, Edison is only half American, so it could have been his Candian side which perfected the light bulb..rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Wasn't Edisons father a Candian ?...ergo, Edison is only half American, so it could have been his Candian side which perfected the light bulb..rolleyes.gif

Edison's mother was from New York and taught him at home:

"My mother was the making of me. She was so true, so sure of me; and I felt I had something to live for, someone I must not disappoint." His mother taught him at home"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison

I thought you guys knew it isnt wise to argue with an American....biggrin.png

The engine in the stealth fighter is a turbofan not a turbojet.

tur·bo·fan/ˈtərbōˌfan/

Noun:

• A jet engine in which a turbine-driven fan provides additional thrust.laugh.png

Edited by travelmann
  • Like 1

"My mother was the making of me. She was so true, so sure of me; and I felt I had something to live for, someone I must not disappoint." His mother taught him at home"

http://en.wikipedia....i/Thomas_Edison

Who has that quote under their avatar?, dont argue with an fool he'll only beat you with experience etc???rolleyes.gif

Edited by travelmann

and most of them are French eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

and most of them are French eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

There is a thing called the Internet.......check it out sometime you may learn something. Canada is not mostly French it is what we call a cultural mosaic.

The engine in the stealth fighter is a turbofan not a turbojet.

tur·bo·fan/ˈtərbōˌfan/

Noun:

• A jet engine in which a turbine-driven fan provides additional thrust.laugh.png

...and again someone had to perfect the shortcomings of a British invention. coffee1.gif

Edited by KRS1

See above link..............I think we need to call it a draw?

as always.

Best you go away and study the Industrial Revolution my friend.

but was his father a Canadian or not ? as without his father...Mrs Edison wouldnt have had a sprog to teach...whistling.gif

I know you colonials have trouble reading the English languge at times, but you seem to have digressed from the question...if Mr Edison senior was Canadian, and Mrs Edison was American then Thomas Edison is only half American...rolleyes.gif

Or, better still, are here abusing the exchange rate in the other direction....whilst it lasts :)

• Like 1

but was his father a Canadian or not ? as without his father...Mrs Edison wouldnt have had a sprog to teach...whistling.gif

I know you colonials have trouble reading the English languge at times, but you seem to have digressed from the question...if Mr Edison senior was Canadian, and Mrs Edison was American then Thomas Edison is only half American...rolleyes.gif

ahh but the important point is that he was not British !

...and again someone had to perfect the shortcomings of a British invention. coffee1.gif

Are u sure ?? Seems to me we are wayyyyyyy too kind to you giving you everything inc afterburners ect This about the Miles M52

During the war and just afterwards there was a mutual sharing of information agreement between the UK and The USA.

However the Americans appeared to consider it to be a one way agreement,ie from UK to USA, but not the other way around. The jet engine and the Miles M52 , with it's all moving tailplane, were two examples where the total info was given to the USA.

After that the Brits became a bit more careful, however it is all history now.

"In 1944, design work was considered 90% complete and Miles was told to go ahead with the construction of three prototype M.52s. Later that year, the Air Ministry signed an agreement with the United States to exchange high-speed research and data. The Bell Aircraft company was given all of the drawings and research on the M.52, but the U.S. reneged on the agreement and no data was forthcoming in return."

This is why the USA broke the manned sound barrier 1st in the Bell X-1

(I say manned, as the German V-2 Rockets were Ballistic Missiles, that had a velocity of approx 5,200 feet per second, thats nearly a mile per sec! or exceeding Mach 4 !!!)

The British government dropped their trousers in offering whole moving tail plane technology that solved the transonic control issue, which was applied to the X-1. - The M.52s was surreptitiously kept on the ground, to allow the US the glory of breaking the sound barrier in a manned aircraft

Miles M52 as the earliest turbojet powered aircraft with reheat, which never flew. It would have been powered by one of Whittle's early 'power jets'.

Edited by travelmann

Then a quick look at Tim Berners-Lee's CV whilst he's at it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee The man to thank for us having this discussion on this medium.

The industrial revolution...the computer...the train...steam engine....modern medicine....modern literature...modern music (well, the good stuff anyway)....etc....etc....etc....

Yes, we are Britain (including Scots, Welsh, Cornish and as many of the Irish that feel it's right for them) and we have given the world a lot. Sure we have a few stains on our CV, but we definitely have given the world the way to move forward. Those production lines feeding the Thai economy are modeled from the work of Richard Arkwright (arguably also the inventor of the computer....carding was the original programming allowing for a process to be duplicated by less skilled workers in less time). http://en.wikipedia....chard_Arkwright

Am I being a touch "jingoistic"? Maybe, but in reality I am just pointing out to our naysayers (mostly our own people...unfortunately) that we have given the world a lot and, if we put our backs into it again, we will do it again. Must be the weather, gives us plenty of time to think about what we can do whilst we wait for the "set-in" rain to disappear for long enough to enjoy our gardens smile.png

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 1

He was------Google Queen of Canada or Commonwealth or Dominion of Canada ..............same same a blood cousin

He wasnt a "real" American either.

Hang on though??? didnt the British colonise America which would make him??? ha haaaaa