Moving To Pattaya, Best Bread Meat And Wine

monty1412

Have lived in Bangkok for a year but moving down to Pattaya, will be living near Pratamak Hill ( will learn how to spell it after some time there)

Any advice one where to get

1) Best bread.. nice European style bread not the soft crap like in Tesco etc.

2) Best meat.. beef/ lamb

3) Good place to shop for wine.. selection and price value.

4) Best takeaway pizza

Had found great bread shop/ bakery on Sukhumvit Road just opposite Sukhumvit soi 24 here in bangkok.. real nice crusty french style bread...

Rgds and thanks

Bread: soi khao noi, black forest restaurant and bakery.

Meat : either foodland or the British butcher in soi chayapruek.

Wine : food . com in nakluea soi 12 or wine connection in the avenue.

For pizza I recommend to open a separate thread, put on your helmet and hide in the trenches until it's over biggrin.png

sent from my Android phone

Thanks Raro, you made me laugh on your last line.. need a laugh thanks

Hmmm....not familiar with that wine place in Nakluea. Will have to check it out.

OP: For pizza, do a search in the Pattaya forum. There's a loooong thread on this.

ONE??? :lol:

The wine place in Nakluea carries also a good selection of imported cheese, salami, ham etc. Not necessarily cheap.

Central Department store has a good selection of wine. And some are "certified" to have been kept at the proper temp. As you know, a few hours in hot weather will kill the wine. We bought a bottle which we didn't like, took it back, and they let us get a new one. Great service.

Carrefour use to be pretty good for wine and baked goods. It's gone downhill a bit now that it's Big C Extra, but still not bad.

Central Department store has a good selection of wine. And some are "certified" to have been kept at the proper temp. As you know, a few hours in hot weather will kill the wine. We bought a bottle which we didn't like, took it back, and they let us get a new one. Great service.

Carrefour use to be pretty good for wine and baked goods. It's gone downhill a bit now that it's Big C Extra, but still not bad.

had more than often bad luck there. Having said that, I usually fell for their special offers.

i like central too Craig but big C extra might be worth another look

the wine department has just been refurbished with a bigger selection of wines

• Like 1

Hmmm....not familiar with that wine place in Nakluea. Will have to check it out.

OP: For pizza, do a search in the Pattaya forum. There's a loooong thread on this.

ONE??? laugh.png

The wine place in Nakluea carries also a good selection of imported cheese, salami, ham etc. Not necessarily cheap.

Hi

How far down soi 12 from naklua road is it please?

I don`t live far away and will take a look sometime.

Thanks.

To the OP.

Best Supermarket at the Dolphin roundabout, pattaya nua/naklua has a reasonable selection of wine, prices OK.

They do some continental style bread also, quite probably not the best but I buy there sometimes.

Open from about 6.00 AM( might be 8.00 AM} to 1.00 AM I think.

Not a particularly big store.

Great smoked meats available from mjsmokehouse.com and they deliver for no charge.

For pizza.. I'm a fan of NY pizza house on 2nd Road. I have never gone in the shop but rather just get delivery.. 080-778-3330

nypizzahouse.com

Edited by Jayman

1) Best bread.. nice European style bread not the soft crap like in Tesco etc.

Makro - seems the baker from Carrefour moved to Makro when Big-C took over.

2) Best meat.. beef/ lamb

Makro too.

3) Good place to shop for wine.. selection and price value.

No idea, but Best has a great selection of booze in general

4) Best takeaway pizza

Another vote for LaBocca in Jomtien.

I would say Friendship has a very good selection of bread as multiple hotels and bakeries sell their produce there, don't get there too late though. Not wanting to sound like an add for Friendship but they do have a good cheese counter now where you can buy by weight.

As to meat I agree with WWMCO

Edited by RabC
  • Like 2

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but...I love a good bottle of red. However, I refuse to give in to the exorbitantly high taxes and duties (except on special occasions). It would be nice to see people boycott wine sales here in Thailand until the government decides to be reasonable with their tax grab. I think some of us are hopeful that the full enactment of the ASEAN agreement in 2015 will force Thailand to reevaluate it's very high imported booze taxes and duties. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly optimistic that ASEAN will do anything to help consumers as I suspect it will be typically superficial, as are most things in Thailand and the rest of SE Asia.

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but...I love a good bottle of red. However, I refuse to give in to the exorbitantly high taxes and duties (except on special occasions). It would be nice to see people boycott wine sales here in Thailand until the government decides to be reasonable with their tax grab. I think some of us are hopeful that the full enactment of the ASEAN agreement in 2015 will force Thailand to reevaluate it's very high imported booze taxes and duties. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly optimistic that ASEAN will do anything to help consumers as I suspect it will be typically superficial, as are most things in Thailand and the rest of SE Asia.

In this instance unfortunately I think you are cutting off your nose.....

I completely agree with you re the taxes but I do not see it changing as it has no real significance to the govt. Further I could not believe hearing on a CCTV last week (English speaking news in China) that China was compalining about dumping of foreign wines in China - where the tax situation is almost as bad (if not worse) and the selection definitely worse than Thailand. crying.gif

not wanting to take this further off topic, but the problem is not that much the import duties but the excise tax. See Australian wines, they are duty-free according to the TAFTA, but the excise tax is making them so expensive.

For your meat needs....... http://www.wwmco.asia/

The beef is obviously Thai crap at that price. The steaks will be like chewing a flip flop. Macro have some excellent Australian fillet for about 1300bt per kilo. Villa Mart for really good pork chops.

His steaks are good. Thai, but good. I buy either from him or Foodland. I also tried imported beef before, must agree it is better but not that much better that it rectifies the higher price.

The beef is obviously Thai crap at that price. The steaks will be like chewing a flip flop. Macro have some excellent Australian fillet for about 1300bt per kilo. Villa Mart for really good pork chops.

His steaks are good. Thai, but good. I buy either from him or Foodland. I also tried imported beef before, must agree it is better but not that much better that it rectifies the higher price.

Well i've tried most places in Pattaya and always end up back at Macro for the good steak. Yes it is expensive but worth it imo. Villa Mart and friendship do some Thai / French beef which isn't bad. For bacon and sausage i use Western Wholesale Meats. As good as anywhere else plus they sell cured hams. You can cook yourself , roast / boil. Very very nice , just like home. Central i give a wide bearth. Some Scottish <deleted> working as a butcher sold me some really expensive rib eye saying it would melt in the mouth. Like a sucker I bought about 3000bts worth. It was shit so that's them done for me. You'd at least expect a farang to tell you straight but obviously not. Bread i use Friendship.

Is that the British butcher you mentioned earlier on Chaiyapruek? Do you know if he sells roasts (top round or topside)? I've never been there as I always get my meat at Foodland.

Is that the British butcher you mentioned earlier on Chaiyapruek? Do you know if he sells roasts (top round or topside)? I've never been there as I always get my meat at Foodland.

check the website as listed in your quoted reply

http://www.wwmco.asia/index.php/shop-1/meat/beef/top-round-roast-ts.html

Edited by Jayman

Well i've tried most places in Pattaya and always end up back at Macro for the good steak. Yes it is expensive but worth it imo. Villa Mart and friendship do some Thai / French beef which isn't bad. For bacon and sausage i use Western Wholesale Meats. As good as anywhere else plus they sell cured hams. You can cook yourself , roast / boil. Very very nice , just like home. Central i give a wide bearth. Some Scottish <deleted> working as a butcher sold me some really expensive rib eye saying it would melt in the mouth. Like a sucker I bought about 3000bts worth. It was shit so that's them done for me. You'd at least expect a farang to tell you straight but obviously not. Bread i use Friendship.

About 18 months ago there were a couple of times when steaks from WWMCO were not good and I stopped using them however, I heard that things had improved recently and I have to agree as the steaks are again back to old standard and certainly the best local beef I have eaten. Last time I was there I was told they will be stocking imported beef soon as we'll.