Red Bull Heir Pays Bt3M To Victim's Family

Lite Beer

Pathetic, disgraceful, disgusting.....but what we all knew would happen.

Seriously? You're still forgetting we're not in Kansas anymore. This is Thai customs. No matter how much you don't agree with it you shouldn't call them names or be disrespectful. If you don't like it you should really consider moving somewhere else. All of us Expats are aware of the dangers and how the value life is treated differently (with money in lieu of prison time.) If you hate it so bad then go back to where you came from. Don't insult them for being different.

Oh get off that very old "if you don't like it, leave" bandwagon, it's getting boring to hear that so often.

Why can't we as foreigners speak our mind? What's wrong with us saying out loud what 'we' think is wrong with Thailand? You think they don't speak bad about you/us???? Grow up.

Regardless of what we might happen to say or think, the Thai's will still ignore us anyway and do whatever they would have done anyway.

I'm not on any bandwagon lol. but it's a simple solution to their complex problem of thinking outside of their box (Country). I'm bored of hearing other farang complain about what they can't change. People can say what they want but there is no reason to be disrespectful of Thai people. We are in their country. Too man farang have a sense of entitlement here and also believe that they should think like us. Thai people don't owe us anything. TO call them disgusting, disgraceful and pathetic makes me sick. This is their way of life. No one is forcing you to be here.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might be important to be aware of the difference between Red Bull and the Thai original Krating Daeng.

The Yoovidhya family is in partnership with the Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz in the Red Bull name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

As a fan of Formula One motor racing and a fan of Vettel & Webber, I would not condemn the name of Red Bull because of the actions of one Thai man and his Ferrari.

Ferrari & Red Bull there's a good combination.

Ratcatcher, what a mess. What we see here is how one the most spoiled kiddies of the 4th richest family in Thailand kills a human, while speeding at up to 200km/h in BKK, driving under influence (of alcohol and probably other drugs) - then instead of helping hurries home, dragging the human 200m along the street till he is falling off his racing car and then at home he immediately tries to organize a coverup story with the family driver and friend police. Unfortunately the chief officer didn't believe it and so all the world now knows about the behaving of the CEO of Red Bull Thailand.

Have a look at the face of this grown-up child - any sign of sadness? No, I think he feels more disgusted that he has to spend his time and money for those crappy lower class people during the funeral.

What we have here is criminal with a proven very high criminal energy ... unfortunately he (more precise: his Dad) is so rich he can buy himself out of everything - he will not spend one single minutes in prison.

And this "unforced" payment of 3 mills is only another PR-stunt. It's like advertising - they will charge it to the business budget, "welfare spendings". BTW 3 mills is just a ridiculous low amount if you have billions in the bank ... selling one car brings them more profit than those 3 mills.

This whole "spoiled but rich kiddie" story is so awfully disgusting it makes me almost puke in the keyboard. Hope this <deleted>,,,ing sonny boy gonna spend some years in the worst prison so he learns about real human life, falling out of his HiSo-Bubble.

And as this killer-kid stands for Red Bull as well as Ferrari - there will be no more RB, no more Ferrari (well, also for other reasons) and no more F1.

You must not try to separate Red Bull F1 from Red Bull - it is the same. AND IT IS DISGUSTING - because the RB-owning family in Thailand just showed how much they are off this planet. They think they might do whatever they want - no fear of the consequences.

And as many commenters already wrote, usually for a rich guy like this in Thailand there will be NO consequences. Therefore I hope the world is following this story and will keep an eye on it - keeping up the public pressure.

BTW, F1 is also annoying with all those nasty UBS logos everywhere.

All your hate messages ranting on about the rich is just as disgusting, obnoxious and extremely repulsive....or much worst! Sour grapes never prosper and are easily seen as hypocrites!

"That's the way it is in Thailand...live with it?" Hmmm...Apartheid was the way it was in South Africa! Burning witches was the way it was in Europe! Just because something is this way...it may be wrong (morally f.e.) and should still be changed!

"That's the way it is" and "Go home if you dont like it", is just the excuse for people, who themselves don't think further than the tip of their own nose!

Go get your soapbox and placards and set up in front of the red bull offices or parliment and express your moral outrage then write to your MP in the UK or Senator in the US and get the them to demand the Thai goverment doesn something about this

"That's the way it is in Thailand...live with it?" Hmmm...Apartheid was the way it was in South Africa! Burning witches was the way it was in Europe! Just because something is this way...it may be wrong (morally f.e.) and should still be changed!

"That's the way it is" and "Go home if you dont like it", is just the excuse for people, who themselves don't think further than the tip of their own nose!

Go get your soapbox and placards and set up in front of the red bull offices or parliment and express your moral outrage then write to your MP in the UK or Senator in the US and get the them to demand the Thai goverment doesn something about this

Your reply to DocN perplexes me. I don't see why his very true and logical comparison to the apathy often expressed here should be criticized and ridiculed. He has made a very valid point, but I'm sad to say that I think you've rebutted with some inane silliness.

• Like 2

Your reply to DocN perplexes me. I don't see why his very true and logical comparison to the apathy often expressed here should be criticized and ridiculed. He has made a very valid point, but I'm sad to say that I think you've rebutted with some inane silliness.

So are you saying you will be joining him in his protest of Red Bull or Thai parliment then ?....he as made no point...only thing I see is a little rant

Obviously English is not some people's first language here - see above for a classic example of someone who can't read, understand or comprehend what someone else has written and then bitches about it. DocN's post was very clear. Change comes about when people make it happen or want it badly enough to make it happen. Apartheid was a classic case of this, so was slavery in the US. Apathy changes nothing.

• Like 1

Apathy changes nothing.

You are quite correct...Apathy changes nothing and either does a gang of geriatric's hammering away on a keyboard, cant see where I was bitching... I was mearly suggesting some contructive steps the poster could take to voice his moral outrage at the system...thumbsup.gif

The hate of the rich never stops for you guys at your stonetables outside 7-eleven.sad.png As some of the posters above are longstayers here, they should be well aware of this is the way doing things in Thailand, whether you are rich of poor. Go to your local policestation every day of the week, and you will see many accidents being settled by paying a few thousend bath to the victims. And the perpetrator and the victim leaving the copshop together, big wais and smiles all around, because most importantly, noone lost face.

Btw I think, that 3M baht is very generous for an unmarried cop with no kids, meaning the money will go to his aging parents, securing them some good last days. The Thai way, for better or worse!wai.gif

So you are actually condoning this? You make my blood boil and that's putting it mildly. ..

Getting a little tired of you guys, who can't even read. Where in my post do I say that I am conding anything??ermm.gif

Well, I think most would agree, your views are on the positive side to what is happening. It takes a wise man... I think we all know the rest.

So when you write that you think the payment is very generous you're in no way condoning it?

So when you write that you think the payment is very generous you're in no way condoning it?

Well one could argue that the average payout in cases like this is around THB 300,000 for a fatality per some of the previous posters information, so being paid THB 3.0 million could be interpreted as being generous in this case. The simple fact is, the family of the deceased were offered an amount and they accepted this amount, therefore there is no further debate, as one assumes the offer made was "generous" enough in their eyes.

Further how much payout did the farang ladies family get after the BKK taxi driver run over and killed her, not a couple of days after this incident ? Did her family get THB 3.0 mil ?

You seem to be suggesting that an amount being offered should be based on someones net worth, ok...All farangs are rich in Thailand, so it would ok with you to pay double a what "normal" Thai would pay for a legimate fine and I am not talking about bribery here ?... I could well imagine all the howling that would go on about racism from TV's finest.

Edited by Soutpeel

Fair enough, the family get their money, now can the city get him behind bars please!

You and the all the rest of us can wish jail for him (I surely do!!)...but Thai reality will prevail, and he will not see the inside of a jail. There are two types of justice here: One for the have nots, and another for the filthy rich and politicians (not mutually exclusive). :-(

The problem/issue here, from a foreigner's point of view, is the muddling of the borders between criminal law and compensation and how they interact. That's already been done to death in this thread, but let me ask this:

If a foreigner (to Thailand), that is you, was in a similar position, and the offer was on the table of summarily paying compensation, and doing so in the knowledge that it may/would influence the criminal proceedings, would that foreigner not avail himself of the opportunity. Be honest. Anybody who says he would prefer not to pay compensation and throw himself at the 'mercy' of the Thai court system is quite obviously a liar, or at best, deceiving himself.

It may not be desirable from our pov, in our own countries, but this is how it operates in some countries, including Thailand. Can it be changed? Only if there is the will to do so, and it doesn't seem that there is, largely because it benefits the wealthy and those in power. It may not be so blatant in some countries, but it does exist, to a greater or lesser degree, in most.

Edited by F4UCorsair

You seem to be suggesting that an amount being offered should be based on someones net worth, ok...All farangs are rich in Thailand, so it would ok with you to pay double a what "normal" Thai would pay for a legimate fine and I am not talking about bribery here ?... I could well imagine all the howling that would go on about racism from TV's finest.

I think pretty clearly that's already the case here in Thailand.

Take some misc. traffic accident with minor injuries by the other party, and it results in the usual both parties getting trooped down to the local police station. If the non-injured party is a farang, you can bet the police and/or the other party will be trying to extract a much higher reimbursement from the farang than they would if the non-injured party were a Thai street food vendor or even just an ordinary Thai. There absolutely is a double-standard about this already...

Meanwhile, there's nothing wrong with the Red Bull family making some kind of civil damages deal with the family of the dead policeman... Nothing wrong at all... But what WOULD BE WRONG is if the government (police/prosecutors/judge) fails to pursue the legitimate criminal case based on the facts of what occurred. Compensation might be a factor in sentencing, but it shouldn't be a factor in the prosecution or verdict.

The Thais did enact their own laws, and AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing in the Thais own laws that says someone who's filthy rich can avoid a manslaughter or murder prosecution either because a) they're filthy rich or b] because they've paid compensation to the victims. The Thais should follow their own laws that they've enacted to deal with criminal offenses. If that isn't done, then it's just another example of the authorities flouting their own laws.

The problem/issue here, from a foreigner's point of view, is the muddling of the borders between criminal law and compensation and how they interact. That's already been done to death in this thread, but let me ask this:

If a foreigner (to Thailand), that is you, was in a similar position, and the offer was on the table of summarily paying compensation, and doing so in the knowledge that it may/would influence the criminal proceedings, would that foreigner not avail himself of the opportunity. Be honest. Anybody who says he would prefer not to pay compensation and throw himself at the 'mercy' of the Thai court system is quite obviously a liar, or at best, deceiving himself.

It may not be desirable from our pov, in our own countries, but this is how it operates in some countries, including Thailand. Can it be changed? Only if there is the will to do so, and it doesn't seem that there is, largely because it benefits the wealthy and those in power. It may not be so blatant in some countries, but it does exist, to a greater or lesser degree, in most.

What you saying: No money, no benefit from this system.

Don't you think, it would be a bit more calm out there, if anyone would have to face the same responsibilities for the same doing?

Not that this is elsewhere, but elsewhere it needs a bit more, and is a bit less obvious. Mostly.

What I find more disturbing: They (police, in this case) will find themselves in the position of a helpless victim.

How should that enforce law, if rich people are involved?

To fear, that every move of you can lead to punishment is supporting the existing system.

And that the BiB's have to look for lo so victims!

In Phuket, the police is complaining, that they can't 'control' the Burmese people , anymore. Because Burmes people, they have a telephone, now, to call someone, who tells the police " I have connections, back off'

That leads to the last available targets, in the future: the poor and most of the western people. Not many western people having the 'protective wp' in their pocket.(police is looking at it and:" Oh, eh, sorry, byebye ")

Edited by noob7

I am in the process of pursuing a case with the courts albeit not vehicle related.

Two seperate issues are clearly defined, one is criminal ( law ) and the other is civil ( compensation damages ect.)

My lawyer is dealing with the criminal side of things first and then the civil side after.

There has not been any offer on the latter so it goes to court along with the first issue.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

I think pretty clearly that's already the case here in Thailand.

Take some misc. traffic accident with minor injuries by the other party, and it results in the usual both parties getting trooped down to the local police station. If the non-injured party is a farang, you can bet the police and/or the other party will be trying to extract a much higher reimbursement from the farang than they would if the non-injured party were a Thai street food vendor or even just an ordinary Thai. There absolutely is a double-standard about this already...

But you are referring to extortion here...not legal process

I have a good friend who is a judge, and we've talked extensively about this case, as well as the concept of compensation in addition to/instead of criminal proceedings.

In what may seem unusual for a judge in an Australian jurisdiction, where punitive action is at the centre of criminal offences, she leans toward significant payment to a victim.

It becomes a bit muddied when there are crimes against the state, e.g., driving when affected by drugs and/or alcohol, in addition to causing a death. Take the drugs/alcohol out of this case (and of course it may not have happened without that influence), and treat it as just a car hitting a motorcyclist and killing him, and her view is that payment to the victim's family is adequate on the grounds that it is more than likely a once off, and very unlikely to happen again.

The problem with this case, particularly, is that there is more than a suggestion that he was drunk or drugged up (or both), and if some form of punitive action is not imposed, then there is a likelihood that it may/will happen again if punitive action is not taken, and that's where the difficulties arise. There has been something of a precedent set over many years that paying compensation will likely reduce, or even eliminate, the prospects of criminal charges proceeding, but if you can't pay, then you may find yourself in front of a judge and jury, or whatever the process is in Thailand.

The police may well want to push along criminal proceedings, but the forces of money and influence may be massed against them, and that's before the issue of the perpetrator muddying the waters even further with 'offers' to the authorities.

Interestingly, she has spent some time in Thailand and Vietnam, as more than a tourist, has seen a traffic accident involving serious injury, and a speedy resolution with money changing hands, and no criminal proceedings. That it has worked so well has influenced her thinking, but this case is not nearly so cut and dried.

Another issue that emerges with summary settlement is that there can be complications from trauma long after the trauma itself, e.g., back injuries, and the parties have no way of determining that at the time, or accounting for future compensation, if the matter isn't dealt with through a legal system.

Edited by F4UCorsair

total pay out.

deceased family : 3 mil bath under board of director special expanses.

the chief of police who went to the suspect after call by the papa: 100,000 bath or more maybe

repair of the crashed ferari: paid by insurance company : 1.5 mil

so the police killer pay almost nothing... now is googling to order a new ferari..... to replace bad fenshui grey ferari....

total pay out.

the chief of police who went to the suspect after call by the papa: 100,000 bath or more maybe

so the police killer pay almost nothing... now is googling to order a new ferari..... to replace bad fenshui grey ferari....

The insurance company won't be paying if drugs or alcohol are involved, and just looking at the damage, I don't think B1.5 M would cover it. This is a Ferrari, but a Hyundai.

Edited by F4UCorsair

So let's see, I'm trying to learn the justice system here .. for 3M you can kill a cop, right ? Are there like wholesale discounts if you want to do, let's say for the sake of the argument, ten of them in ?

If you are not worth 160 billion I reckon you can do one cheaper, but as in this case you need the family to agree on the price and if you are a Farang it still might be 3 million.

Edited by Spoonman

total pay out.

The insurance company won't be paying if drugs or alcohol are involved, and just looking at the damage, I don't think B1.5 M would cover it. This is a Ferrari, but a Hyundai.

Would you worry about this, in case your family business's the sole Ferrari Importer to Thailand?

This car can be back in the shop, as a 'brand new' car, easily, me think!

Also, I would guess, the insurance company will not quit its cooperation.

Edited by noob7

Under the system it should have no effect on the criminal case. 300 mn would be a good starting point. On the basis that 99% of people couldn't pay even 300k, i say it is a gross corruption of the system that money payment abdicates responsibility. Connecting ability to pay and punishment is extremely stupid.

A friend off mine lost a son, refused any penny, and the driver got 6 years. The criminal case should involve jail time and compensation. The civil case should not be connected at all.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2