Samsung Phones/tablets To Get Jelly Bean

Pib

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curiousity question to anyone. Do device manufacturers

the Jelly Bean update to supposed flagship Samsung phone "Galaxy S3" is still not out in Thailand....Samsung get the lead out@!!!

Huh?

There has been an Android 4.1.1 release for THL I9300's out for over a month. Still no release, as near as I can determine, for the I9300T.

I have the I9300T and have not recieved the OTA update....just sayin.

Maybe give this a try: Link. Seems to work for folks on Sprint...might work for you if an update is out for your phone. Now, I don't have a S3 but an Galaxy Ace 2 which is suppose to get the JB update also at some point....probably near the end of the Samsung update list since it a mid-level smartphone....but I gave the instructions a try on my Ace 2 (I'm on DTAC)....then when doing a Software Update check again it still said no update available...but like I said my Ace 2 is probably down the Samsung JB update list to get pushed out....all you high end Samsung device folks will most likely get the JB update much sooner. But last night I flashed JB 4.1.1 on my 6,000 baht Chinese tablet (an Onda V971) running ICS 4.0.3 and so far I haven't noticed any earth shaking differences...but I can now say I now have JB and wear the "I Have JB" patch. laugh.png

Thanks for that, I tried it though with no luck...Guess I might have to bite the bullet and go into a store

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Galaxy Ace 2 (GT-8160L)...got a OTA notice today of a software update....I thought maybe this will be the Jelly Bean update since the Ace 2 is on the JB update list in Post #1. But as it turns out the file size was only 2.78MB in size, took about 8 minutes to download and install, and when it was done I had new baseband, kernel and build numbers but it still said Ginger Bread 2.3.6 as the Android version. Since both the wife and I have Ace 2's the OTA update installed no problems and our phones are definitely faster/smoother scrolling/etc now. This is the first operating system update received on our Ace 2's since we got them approx 4 months ago. Hopefully the JB update will be coming soon but with today's OTA at least I know Samsung hasn't forgot about Ace 2's.

Edited by Pib

The Galaxy Tab was introduced at the IFA in Berlin in Sept 2010! That's before the predawn of history in tech terms.

My iPhone 1 still works just fine, I don't understand why people always want to have the lastest greatest toy with the extra bells and whistles.

Because sometimes it speeds things up.

Also me personally I don't want latest bells and whistles just updates.

sent from my Q6

Edited by thaicbr

My wife has a Thailand purchased Galaxy S Advance (I9070), one of the models listed in Pib's OP above re a promised Jelly Bean update from Samsung.

I guess similar to Pib's experience above with his family's Ace models, the other day my wife's phone also had an over the air firmware update, actually two back to back. I thought it might be ICS, but it wasn't. The first was was 25 MB or more in size, while the second one was just a couple MB. Not much of any explanation on the screen about what the updates were about.

After the updates, the "About Phone" screen still showed the phone running a version of Gingerbread. The post update version was 2.3.6... not sure if that was the same or different from the pre-update status.

Samsung may be good in terms of having a lot of modded firmware packages developed by third parties. But the company itself hasn't been particularly fast in updating its pre-existing smartphone models to the newer Android OS's.

Unlike my wife's Gingerbread OS Samsung phone, my one-year-old Sony 2011 smartphone got its ICS update a couple months back, and my four-month-old Pantech 2012 tablet got its ICS update just last month.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

From what I've read, it sounds like Android 4.2 has more distinct new features (like that camera upgrade for one) compared to the differences between going from Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 to Jelly Bean 4.1.

Does Android have any conventions to their naming and numbering versions of their software? Is it reasonable to assume that since the names between versions 4.1 and 4.2 remain the same (Jellybean), all devices previously announced to be receiving future updates to version 4.1, will also later get version 4.2?

Likewise, regarding incremental (decimal point) upgrades vs. whole-number upgrades, is there any convention to that? Would it be reasonable to assume that a device currently on a 4.x version of Android should be able to receive factory-supported updates at least until they get up to version 5.x?

I wouldn't read too much into the names of the past, present and future Android releases. Those probably started off as internal development project names - a standard practice - which became marketing monikers. I think the next major release will be 5.0 (Key Lime Pie). Point releases come about as a result of addressing incremental requirements, bundling of bug fixes and/or a special release for a Nexus platform.

I think each manufacturer, save Google for its Nexus models, along with service provider partners, country managers, subsidiaries and channel partners will make the decision regarding a release for a particular product, model, version, market. I would not make any assumptions.

I have been running 4.2.1, from a developer based in Thailand, on an older SGS1-variant (single core, 1 GHz) for a few days. It is smooth but I haven't noticed much of a difference from some of the 4.1.2 ROMs I was running.

post-9615-0-38663200-1354860267_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

There has been an Android 4.1.1 release for THL I9300's out for over a month. Still no release, as near as I can determine, for the I9300T.

FWIW, there is a 4.1.1 update for the THL version of the I9300T. I used Odin 3.4 to flash this stock ROM. Seems to be working fine.

post-9615-0-48849600-1355286662_thumb.jp

I received the OTA to 4.1.1 today! for SGIII I9300T.

My carrier is Truemove

Uh oh!!!! Looks like Jelly Bean is flowing to S3's in Thailand. By tomorrow will be seeing news reports throughout Thailand of people falling down stairs, tripping off curbs, getting run over in crosswalks (more than normal), having car accidents, etc...and when interviewed in the hospital as to what caused the accident they will say, "I was playing with Jelly Bean on my S3." wink.png

Are you guys downloading this update over a 3G connection? Was this process automated, in that you did not have to acknowledge the update?

FWIW, the zipped file I used was 781 MB so that might nearly shoot your monthly allotment. I downloaded the file to a PC from sammobile and flashed it via Odin 3.4. Safe and easy.

Are you guys downloading this update over a 3G connection? Was this process automated, in that you did not have to acknowledge the update?

FWIW, the zipped file I used was 781 MB so that might nearly shoot your monthly allotment. I downloaded the file to a PC from sammobile and flashed it via Odin 3.4. Safe and easy.

I had to manually look for the update in settings but it was only around 275mb in size.

I was home on wifi..

Sent from Android please allow errors in type or judgment.

I wonder if the file lomatopo downloaded included a bunch of extra Apps,over and above the basic firmware & core Apps. Or maybe it was just the way it was compressed.

I recently updated my Onda V971 tablet from ICS to JB by using their flash program versus Odin, and the file size downloaded/flashed was approx 350MB and it did include some extra Apps but not too many. It was pretty much a wipe the memory and install new firmware and core/associated Apps. When I was done instead of running ICS 4.0.3 I was running JB 4.1.1 and all the Apps I had downloaded from Google Play needed to be reloaded because they were gone.

Maybe the Samsung OTA upgrade to Jelly Bean just replaces the firmware/ROM and core Apps, but leaves all the other Apps a person has installed along? To 2unique: was all your Apps still intact after to the OTA? I'm assuming yes?

I downloaded the current stock Samsung firmware release for the THL version of the I9300T from sammobile, then flashed it with Odin. The phone is stock, and unrooted. The process was simple, easy, fast and straight-forward.

The file was zipped to ~ 799 MB, had a 1.2 GB .tar file which has the boot, cache, hidden, modem, recovery, system bin/img. Not sure how this differs from other update files.

After re-boot all installed Android applications went through a short internal re-building process which took ~ 2 minutes. All applications, data, user data, APN, WiFi, etc. settings remained intact. Everything seems to be working fine; I did this for a colleague - no complaints so far. The LJ1 baseband seems great, was seeing 12/5 Mbps on DTAC in the same location where it was 6/3 before.

If you do a "Wipe data/factory reset", "Wipe Cache", "format /system", "wipe Dalvik" - all of which are recommended when flashing a custom ROM - then you will lose your apps, data, etc. These can be restored using Titanium Back-up, or even from the Play Store.

Using the term OTA is confusing, as this means "Over The Air" meaning via a mobile connection, when using WiFi, although these updates can be done over a mobile broadband connection.

An original Galaxy Tab (P-1010) is a two-year old device (from introduction.)

Sell it (or pass it down to someone that would be happy to have it) and get something current.

Agreed, buy an Apple. In 2 years you'll have a dead, non replaceable battery.

I like my SII with $25 32 gig SD and spare batteries.

If you do a "Wipe data/factory reset", "Wipe Cache", "format /system", "wipe Dalvik" - all of which are recommended when flashing a custom ROM - then you will lose your apps, data, etc. These can be restored using Titanium Back-up, or even from the Play Store.

Just as FYI and general discusson on how some firmware updates occur (which I'm in the novice stage on), on my Onda V971 tablet that's how their firmware update files are programmed to install--nuke everything...even when using their flashing program (i.e., their version of Odin). For example, just a few nights ago I downloaded the same JB update from the Onda website, but this JB update had been changed from having to use the Onda provided flashing/burning program to just automatically accomplished the process by grabbing the update files you put on the microSD card. Maybe people were having problems in figuring out how to use their flashing program and Onda then just made the flashing process more automatic....don't really know, just know they replaced the firmware update with another one....same JB 4.1.1 version but just different method of getting it installed/flashed on the device.

Anyway, here is what the AML setup file (flashing configuration file) says when uncoded:

--update_package=/sdcard/update.zip

--update_patch=/sdcard/patch.zip

--wipe_data

--wipe_cache

--wipe_media

As shown above apparently Onda prefers to start the device from scratch when installing its firmware update from ICS to JB...that is, wipe data, cache, and media/Apps....pretty much like selecting a Factory Data Reset on the phone. For me, it's not really a big issue as I don't run a lot of Apps and can quickly download/reinstall them from Google Play....keep most of my data on the external microSD card (which I remove during a firmware update)...and of course all my Contacts and such are re-loaded from the Google servers....don't take long at all. But I sure realize this "nuking" process could cause a lot of grief for many folks.

I haven't used Titanium Backup yet, but do have it installed on my "rooted" V971...actually it came rooted with its factory installed ICS and its JB update roots also. But for folks who don't have a rooted device, which will be the great majority of folks, I don't think Titanium Backup can be used since it requires a rooted device.

I expect Samsung OTA/KIES update to JB only replaces the firmware and its core Apps (i.e., Apps which can't be uninstalled by using the Uninstall button...closely integrated with the firmware) and leaves all User installed Apps, Data, etc., alone....or I sure hope it does for the sake of most people. I expect it does or people would already be screaming murder since the JB update has been flowing to Samsung devices.

I had to manually look for the update in settings but it was only around 275mb in size.

I was home on wifi..

Sent from Android please allow errors in type or judgment.

Maybe the Samsung OTA upgrade to Jelly Bean just replaces the firmware/ROM and core Apps, but leaves all the other Apps a person has installed along? To 2unique: was all your Apps still intact after to the OTA? I'm assuming yes?

By OTA I meant that I wasn't wired to KIES so did the update direct to phone.

2 Reboots and the phone said rebuilding 1 of 175 and continued up to 175 then rebooted again (I believe, it was 2am after all) As per Lomatopo - All applications, data, user data, APN, WiFi, etc. settings remained intact although some Apps asked for an update. Best feature is ability in settings to pinch/zoom gmail and Google now on press/hold home button.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, at 4pm today our (the wife and I) Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch GT-N8000 tablet just received its Jelly Bean 4.1.1 upgrade via OTA. (it was connected to the home Wifi). I was upstairs laying on the bed watching TV when my non-techie Thai wife came in carrying the tablet saying something was wrong. She said it was doing something and she had tried to turn it off and restart it but it wouldn't turn off. When she handed it to me what I saw on the screen was the Android robot and it was about 50% done in downloading upgrade files...it completed the download of the files, rebooted and indicating it was installing 89 files which took less than 5 minutes...it then rebooted again and the normal screens came back up.

I then checked what version of Android I was running and instead of ICS 4.0.4 that originally came with the tablet it was now running JB 4.1.1....and I could get the Jelly Bean face to pull up. I played with it for a few minutes, opened up a half dozen Apps, internet, email, Googe Play, etc., and they all still worked...moving between screens did seem faster. I will play with it tonight to get a better feel of what improvements the JB update hopefully brought. I then handed the tablet back to my wife who immediately logged onto YouTube to watch Thai TV celebrities videos...she is YouTube junkie for that stuff.

Summary: despite my non-techie wife's best effort to unknowingly abort the JB upgrade, the upgrade occurred at 4pm today via OTA and appears to have went fast and smooth.

When/how did you come by a Galaxy Note 10 incher, Pib?

Last I recall, you'd gotten one of the Chinese tablets and the wife was happily using that for her You Tubing....

But now the wife's using a Galaxy Note???? What gives about that? And what happened to your other tablet? smile.png

TallGuy,

You may remember in some of my posts I indicated I just may end buying a high end tablet and a low end tablet....that's what I did. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch and the Onda V971 9.7 inch. The Note 10.1 is indeed a sweet machine (excellent display and sound) and can have multiple windows open and running...and the JB update appeared to add more Apps that can run in windows. But just before Christmas I took the V971 back to the store I bought it from since it was just taking too long to fully charge, You may remember I mentioned from the get-go it appeared to be a slow charger but for mine it got worst even after trying several chargers, but otherwise it was working fine and I updated it Jelly Bean also.

Another TV member gave me some feedback on his V971 he recently bought and it only took his V971 4.5 hrs to charge from almost empty to 100% which is what the charge time should be based on the V971 6000ma battery size...and my Galaxy Note 10.1 also charges fast even though I've never done a charge from almost drained to 100% yet....but I figure it would take less than 4 hours to fully charge its 7000ma battery based on the partial charges I've done (i.e., like charging from 50% to 100%). So, with the V971 taking longer and longer to reach full charge....too long...probably a failing battery....I took it back to the store for replacement/repair...the store sent it in for repair...I checked with the store today who checked the status in the shop...apparently with the New Years holidays they didn't get much of nothing done for anyone...shop said hopefully end of this week. The store owner said he has sold approx 200 V971s and none have come back with a problem like mine...he said a few had come back due to non-booting but after the firmware was reloaded they worked fine....I take all of that with a grain of salt.

The carrying case for my V971 which I ordered off Ebay for $12.89 (free shipping) arrive a few days ago...took 40 days to arrive from Hong Kong...just couldn't fine a case specifically made for the V971 anywhere in Bangkok....iPad2 cases come close but the speaker and camera holes and some slide slots didn't line up..so I just order a case specifically for the V971....now I just need the V971 to slide it into the case.

Yeap, I'm a two Android 10 inch tablet family now and the wife has claimed primarily ownership of the Galaxy Note 10.1 since it's got a better display and sound (plus the status thing) than the V971.. I'm not saying the V971 display and sound is not OK....I'm just saying the Galaxy display and sounded is definitely better and I've got zero negative things to say about it although it is pricey at approx 21,000 baht which can be found easily or also easily found at its full retail price of 21,900 baht...it is still Samsung's top end tablet. The wife is a YouTube junkie and just loves watching videos on her tablet.

Cheers,

Pib

(The Two Android Tablet Kid)

Edited by Pib

Whilst in Thailand last week I bought both me and the Mrs a Samsung Note 10.1. It's my first Tablet and so we are still learning and I keep on going back to my laptop for ease but overall we are really happy with them and after seeing this thread last night, easily downloaded JellyBean. Don't know if I notice any difference cos I haven't had it long enough.

Instead of starting a new thread, hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions in here. Firstly, why does it not charge through the USB if I connect it to a laptop or my USB car charger? They only seem to charge if plugged into the mains socket. Seems a bit daft considering it should be portable.

Secondly. For a newbie to the Android world, has anyone got any recommendations for Apps that I should download?

Thanks for the update Pib! I didn't recall ever seeing you mention before having purchased the very pricey Samsung tablet, nor did I recall any prior mention about you having had to take the Onda back to the shop for battery replacement. Though I did recall you mentioning the problem before about its battery being slow to charge.

I'm just laughing here... wondering about what this says about the state of mixed-couple married life in Thailand... Your wife, the admittedly non techie one, is fiddling with a 21,000 baht Samsung tablet to watch Thai celebrity gossip YouTube clips. So I'm presuming that means you (the certainly more techie one who presumably paid for both tablets) will end up (hopefully) with the refurbished Onda that sold for 7 or 8 thousand???

It's certainly a wonderful world!!! tongue.png

Secondly. For a newbie to the Android world, has anyone got any recommendations for Apps that I should download?

A lot depends on what things you want to use your tablet for... But, generally, there was a separate thread here awhile back on people's top Android apps...and those lists from different members produced a lot of good solutions.

Thanks for the update Pib! I didn't recall ever seeing you mention before having purchased the very pricey Samsung tablet, nor did I recall any prior mention about you having had to take the Onda back to the shop for battery replacement. Though I did recall you mentioning the problem before about its battery being slow to charge.

I'm just laughing here... wondering about what this says about the state of mixed-couple married life in Thailand... Your wife, the admittedly non techie one, is fiddling with a 21,000 baht Samsung tablet to watch Thai celebrity gossip YouTube clips. So I'm presuming that means you (the certainly more techie one who presumably paid for both tablets) will end up (hopefully) with the refurbished Onda that sold for 7 or 8 thousand???

It's certainly a wonderful world!!! tongue.png

Yea, that's married life....she claims ownership of the B21K tablet (only the best for YouTube use) and I get ownership of the B6.5K tablet for my practical use Apps. laugh.png