Expats -- Are You Married To A Local Women?

DrWho

My wife is English. We've been together for 16 years. So I'm not "in the market" for a Thai bride.

Out of very polite curiosity, what's the appeal of a Thai bride?

1/2 half the age (and weight?) of your English wife.

And she's allowed to own her own farm in Thailand, which gives me somewhere to live for free.

Not to mention the "marriage one year VISA extension"

You are married to Thai female in TH?

Your Profile shows, YOU are a = female.png = Female, so same gender marriages are now allowed in TH? Did not know that.whistling.gif

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence to anyone here at all, but I also have never seen the appeal. I've had plenty of short-term Thai girlfriends and never found them to be a 'drama' like so many others. I think if you fawn all over them, they often treat you like sh1t, just like women the world over.

However, I've never really been able to get that close to Thai girls, or any of the other girls I've dated in developing countries. Many guys I've known have ended up with Thai or Khmer wives because they have broken relationships in the West and feel bitter and resentful towards Western women. I, however, have had some great relationships (and some bad one) and have never used the term that is so popular in Cambodia 'FWC' for 'Fat White Cow', a term that is applied to every white woman.

I also don't feel I've ever had a good conversation with a Thai girlfriend. I remember looking up at the moon one night, to hear my Thai girlfriend say 'you heb same moon England?' I don't find these things endearing, these comments do not make me go 'aaaaw'.

I want to be able to talk about deep politics and philosophy sometimes... I want to watch a film that doesn't have slapstick comedy in or explosions every 3 minutes. I want to be able to crack a dry joke and for my girlfriend to get it. I want her to appreciate who I am, and not just love the fact she's got a white boyfriend.

Sweeping generalizations, I know, and it's nothing against Thai women. I made a pledge to myself some years ago (after a Ugandan girlfriend) that I would never date a girl from a developing country again (other than to just ).

There's too much going on, they can't fall in love with me, not just because I'm an *sshole but because all they see are the opportunities that could be had if I was married to them. I always feel a good comparison is if I met a rich, Texan millionaire <deleted>.. all I'd be thinking is 'I have to make this work' rather than getting to know if we would make a good couple or not.

This just works for me..

Maybe you should hang out with a better class of Thai women. Venture outside Nana...

No offence to anyone here at all, but I also have never seen the appeal. I've had plenty of short-term Thai girlfriends and never found them to be a 'drama' like so many others. I think if you fawn all over them, they often treat you like sh1t, just like women the world over.

However, I've never really been able to get that close to Thai girls, or any of the other girls I've dated in developing countries. Many guys I've known have ended up with Thai or Khmer wives because they have broken relationships in the West and feel bitter and resentful towards Western women. I, however, have had some great relationships (and some bad one) and have never used the term that is so popular in Cambodia 'FWC' for 'Fat White Cow', a term that is applied to every white woman.

I also don't feel I've ever had a good conversation with a Thai girlfriend. I remember looking up at the moon one night, to hear my Thai girlfriend say 'you heb same moon England?' I don't find these things endearing, these comments do not make me go 'aaaaw'.

I want to be able to talk about deep politics and philosophy sometimes... I want to watch a film that doesn't have slapstick comedy in or explosions every 3 minutes. I want to be able to crack a dry joke and for my girlfriend to get it. I want her to appreciate who I am, and not just love the fact she's got a white boyfriend.

Sweeping generalizations, I know, and it's nothing against Thai women. I made a pledge to myself some years ago (after a Ugandan girlfriend) that I would never date a girl from a developing country again (other than to just ).

There's too much going on, they can't fall in love with me, not just because I'm an *sshole but because all they see are the opportunities that could be had if I was married to them. I always feel a good comparison is if I met a rich, Texan millionaire <deleted>.. all I'd be thinking is 'I have to make this work' rather than getting to know if we would make a good couple or not.

This just works for me..

Maybe you should hang out with a better class of Thai women. Venture outside Nana...

I think the man makes a worthwhile point.

Many local girls are more than a little vacuous.

My wife is English. We've been together for 16 years. So I'm not "in the market" for a Thai bride.

Out of very polite curiosity, what's the appeal of a Thai bride?

1/2 half the age (and weight?) of your English wife.

And she's allowed to own her own farm in Thailand, which gives me somewhere to live for free.

Not to mention the "marriage one year VISA extension"

Your Profile shows, YOU are a = female.png = Female, so same gender marriages are now allowed in TH? Did not know that.whistling.gif

Or I might be a foreign girl married to a Thai man.

Is it that important to you?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

-Intellectual Farang-

Austrian, -Alfred- was not available.wink.png

It means, a woman is judged by her looks from men and women,

a man is judged by his Intelligence, intellect, wit, appearance, fluency-speaking skills from men and women.

Sure are looks also important for a man, but a man can come around a lack of looks with spirit and intellect. That is much more difficult for women.wink.png

Or I might be a foreign girl married to a Thai man.

Is it that important to you?

Just curios, because, I read before already, that your -PROFILE FEED- announces,

=Thai girls, yellow mango, fresh lychees=

That would not fit to, married to a Thai man. Or?

And you write in above Posting

"And she's allowed to own her own farm in Thailand, which gives me somewhere to live for free." =SHE!=

rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

-Intellectual Farang-

a man is judged by his Intelligence, intellect, wit, appearance, fluency-speaking skills from men and women.

Sure are looks also important for a man, but a man can come around a lack of looks with spirit and intellect. That is much more difficult for women.wink.png

I agree. You are an Austrian (and therefore not a native English speaker), but you could just say that a man is: "judged by his personality". The word "personality" includes the attributes you mentioned (spirit; intellect).

I think women also judge a man by his drive, ambition, self-confidence and self-assurance.

Many men (let's say, men in their thirties or forties) who come to Thailand or Manila to look for wives usually lack self-confidence and self-assurance. These are the men that European women usually don't want.

-Intellectual Farang-

Personality-agree, we have that word in German to, but my -saying- comes not with that word, it comes with a wording same -spirit-

what translates in Google also to -intellect-.

Difficult to bring a saying from one language to another one.wink.png

This just works for me..

I think the man makes a worthwhile point.

Many local girls are more than a little vacuous.

Also I notice a certain lack of sweetness comparing the Isaan and Lao women to the Thai girls from traditional families. They are also far more polite if they come from an educated religious family. Some of the brass women in Laos and Isaan are just as overbearing and direct as our western counterparts!

Also I notice a certain lack of sweetness comparing the Isaan and Lao women to the Thai girls from traditional families. They are also far more polite if they come from an educated religious family. Some of the brass women in Laos and Isaan are just as overbearing and direct as our western counterparts!

Is this kind of disrespecting of all western women necessary? You, Sir, are not a gentleman.

-Intellectual Farang-

I agree. You are an Austrian (and therefore not a native English speaker), but you could just say that a man is: "judged by his personality". The word "personality" includes the attributes you mentioned (spirit; intellect).

I think women also judge a man by his drive, ambition, self-confidence and self-assurance.

Many men (let's say, men in their thirties or forties) who come to Thailand or Manila to look for wives usually lack self-confidence and self-assurance. These are the men that European women usually don't want.

Not to forget:Not only here, a man is judged by his will, to show his 'good heart'

-Intellectual Farang-

Not to forget:Not only here, a man is judged by his will, to show his 'good heart'

Yo dude this is Thailand.smile.png

-Intellectual Farang-

Most men r judged by his wealth.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm ugly, poor, young and my GF has loved me for over a year and works 6 days a week making minimum wage and still has the love in her heart to come home and wash my clothes and do the dishes. NOw thats REAL LOVE!

OOOOR, she's a sandwich short of a picnic. sad.png

I'm ugly, poor, young and my GF has loved me for over a year and works 6 days a week making minimum wage and still has the love in her heart to come home and wash my clothes and do the dishes. NOw thats REAL LOVE!

ya, the hope never dies in these young Thai hearts! Hope, that will be enough, in case you going to ask her parents,, to marry her!

Is this kind of disrespecting of all western women necessary? You, Sir, are not a gentleman.

I don't think he meant any disrespect, was just mentioning his preference for the bible bashing type of gals. Can't really blame him, they're quite the thing after breaking 'em in.

Of course I do prefer the brass, not having the nerves for idle small talk, so the above is just hearsay :P

Don't take it personal, Eek. I just read an article that sort of explains why some farang men like to speak badly of farang women...

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2012/reader7681.htm

We say in my home country, -A woman looks through her ​​appearance, a man by his Spirit (Personality)- wink.png

(I hope the translation fits.)

I meant that for my home country and there the money thing, is by far not so important than in TH and SEA. rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO