Bangkok Administration Urges Patience; Storms To Soak City Until Monday

webfact

BMA urges patience; storms to soak city until Monday

ANUPAN CHANTANA,

ANAPAT DEECHUAY

THE NATION

30191132-01_big.jpg

HIGHEST RAINFALL IN 50 YEARS; MORE ON WAY

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok residents can expect more downpours and likely flooding over the next few days.

According to the Meteorological Department's forecast, thunderstorms will affect most parts of Bangkok and its adjacent provinces until next Monday. Cloudbursts are expected in many areas too.

Following hour-long downpours, traffic became paralysed in several parts of Bangkok as dozens of roads were swamped. Bangkok's total rainfall this month is already the highest for any month in five decades.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has warned residents that it takes several hours for all the water to drain after a heavy downpour. It says the capital's water-drainage system is designed to deal with up to 60 millimetres of rainfall only.

"Please be patient and be |understanding," Deputy Bangkok Governor Wallop Suwandee said yesterday.

He said the BMA had installed pumps at flood-prone spots to |minimise the impact on the public.

He was speaking as Bangkok commuters had to wade through floodwaters in many parts of the |city yesterday, including along Vibhavadi-Rangsit and Ratchadaphisek roads.

Sanya Sheenimit, head of the BMA Drainage and Sewerage Department, said that in just a few hours, 93 millimetres of rain fell on Rama IX Road yesterday.

"The rainfall on Vibhavadi-Rangsit was also really heavy," he said.

Wallop admitted the BMA was now worried about rainfall levels. According to available statistics, total rainfall over the 24-hour period ending at 3pm yesterday was 107mm in Pom Prab district, 133mm in Phya Thai district and 134mm in Huai Khwang district.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the BMA had a plan to construct three more giant water-drainage tunnels in the capital to better prevent flooding.

"Today, we have just one giant tunnel and it can cover 50 square kilometres of area only. Bangkok spans more than 1,600 square km," he said.

In a related development, Deputy Government Spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had assigned Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan to prepare a plan to solve flooding and traffic problems in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces.

The Chatchart-headed panel is expected to prepare a key strategy by FridaySeptember 28 and present it to the Cabinet at its next meeting.

According to Anusorn, the |strategy includes turning some |government facilities into tem-porary water-retention areas in |the wake of downpours, and adjusting work hours of government officials.

"The chiefs of government agencies in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces may allow their subordinates to leave early if weather forecasts show downpours are coming their way and arrange for substitution work hours later," Anusorn said.

Meanwhile, Phichit province has declared four of its districts as flood disaster-hit zones. These four districts, Sam Ngam, Pho Prathap Chang, Bung Narang and Pho Thale, are located by the Yom River.

In Prachin Buri, the Prachin Buri River overflowed into riverside communities. In Ta Prachum market, floodwater was more than 90 centimetres deep.

In Ranong, the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office issued a warning of flash floods, overflows, landslides and mudslides.

"Small boats should not put out to sea," said the office's chief, Chaowalit Nitornrat.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-26

• Like 1

BMA urges patience - regarding what? We can't stop the rain and they or the Govt cannot stop the flooding. I don't see any reason to be asked to be patient as this is a totally irrelevant request! None of us have any choice. Bangkok sits at sea level, water can't drain - pretty simple really. Life goes on without political statements such as this. coffee1.gif

i guess they call it climate change... much more to expect in the comming years with much more cars clogging the already clogged jams

Or just more media coverage on weather/climate change in our TV/internet/smartphone era. Of course we seem to have more media coverage on every subject....sometimes I wonder if more coverage helps or just hypes.

i guess they call it climate change... much more to expect in the comming years with much more cars clogging the already clogged jams

I guess they call it an annual event...floods and heavy rain have been happening for a long time in the region, one of the dip sides of living the tropics...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Water Management Office Chief warns of heavy flood in Bangkok until 30 Sept

BANGKOK, 26 September 2012 (NNT) – The water management office has warned residents of Bangkok to brace for more heavy rain, at least until this Sunday.

Director of the National Water and Flood Management Policy Office Pipat Ruang-ngam said that the water level behind the Sirikit Dam and the Bhumibol Dam totaled 14 billion cubic meters, or 61.2 percent of their combined capacity.

Mr. Pipat stated that both dams will be able to handle rain water until the end of the rainy season, while expressing confidence that the water storage at the 2 major dams will end up around 80 percent, which will be sufficient for use during the next drought.

Regarding the water situation around upstream of rivers in the North, he said that water level in most main waterways is below the banks, except for the Bang Rakam District of Phitsanulok Province, where water has been 1.99 meters above the river bank level.

For Bangkok, Mr. Pipat said that heavy rain will likely continue from now until September 30th, during which the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and related officials have been urged to prepare for any undesirable situation after the flood problem has been solved.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-26 footer_n.gif

Quote :---

In Ranong, the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office issued a warning of flash floods, overflows, landslides and mudslides.

"Small boats should not put out to sea," said the office's chief, Chaowalit Nitornrat.

Unquote

Seems to me that this is an argument to go to sea, or at least lay just offshore.

"Please be patient and be |understanding," Deputy Bangkok Governor Wallop Suwandee said yesterday"

We have tried to contact Moses but he is not picking his phone up or answering his emails and his facebook page has not been updated recently...tongue.png

Think he is giving Noah a hand on his new bigger 'boat', dab hand at planking by all accounts..........laugh.png

The need for more high riders is clearly visible, on the roads, this year. Lucky Toyota, me think

"Please be patient and be understanding," Deputy Bangkok Governor Wallop Suwandee said yesterday.

Why? They've all sat on their ass's for the last year, supposedly spent billions of baht on repairs and improvements, and ultimately not much has been done at all once again other than seemingly lining their and their friends pockets.

Thai's have a very relaxed attitude to life generally I know, but at what point are they going to say enough is enough? For most foreigners, I think we are well past this point already . . . lol

The money was spent by the PTP on projects outside Bangkok, as the major is a democrat Bangkok got very little of the flood project money and I believe this story is about Bangkok flooding
  • Like 2

BMA urges patience - regarding what? We can't stop the rain and they or the Govt cannot stop the flooding. I don't see any reason to be asked to be patient as this is a totally irrelevant request! None of us have any choice. Bangkok sits at sea level, water can't drain - pretty simple really. Life goes on without political statements such as this. coffee1.gif

I guess you don't live in Din Daeng where Thanon Pracha Song Khro and its sidewalks become a 10-12 inch deep river for every heavy rain and takes several hours to drain. I guess you haven't had the experience of wading several blocks home in your socks in filthy, bio-hazardous water, carrying your shoes and dodging the wakes for motorbikes and taxis? It takes patience.

Edited by MaxYakov

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has warned residents that it takes several hours for all the water to drain after a heavy downpour. It says the capital's water-drainage system is designed to deal with up to 60 millimetres of rainfall only.

Would that be 60 millimetres per week, or per month, or per year, or was something lost in translation?

"Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the BMA had a plan to construct three more giant water-drainage tunnels in the capital to better prevent flooding."

Last year he blamed PTP for not doing enough. He had 9 months time to do something but now when the rain starts he talks about constructing more water drainage tunnels. I guess by next year they will be ready.

"Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the BMA had a plan to construct three more giant water-drainage tunnels in the capital to better prevent flooding."

Last year he blamed PTP for not doing enough. He had 9 months time to do something but now when the rain starts he talks about constructing more water drainage tunnels. I guess by next year they will be ready.

Sounds like he got one built this year... if central government gives him enough cash, he will get more built - i would guess ;)

...to be considered again...

"Please be patient and be understanding," Deputy Bangkok Governor Wallop Suwandee said yesterday.

Why? They've all sat on their ass's for the last year, supposedly spent billions of baht on repairs and improvements, and ultimately not much has been done at all once again other than seemingly lining their and their friends pockets.

Thai's have a very relaxed attitude to life generally I know, but at what point are they going to say enough is enough? For most foreigners, I think we are well past this point already . . . lol

So does these mean you are leaving,a admirable example the combined weight of falangs I am relaibly informed is the crux.The government has been running a removal scheme where young girl guides from the N East try and encourage the larger and better endowed to take their cash and weight to the promised Land of Esau,Nakhon paradise etc.

You no understnee Thai way hansum man they are waiting for the sea level to fall