Image Editing Software

damo

Hi all,

Can someone recomend open source image editing software that is appropriate for a beginner to learn to edit photos. I am interested in panographs mainly.

I did download and try gimp but it was over my head and not too easy for me to pick up so I am looking for something aimed at noobs.

Thanks.

I started to recommend Gimp but then re-read your post.

FastStone Viewer is my main viewer/manager but it has a fair set up editing tools in it also. I primarily use Photoshop but sometimes when I want something simple and quick will use this one. When you display an image just move the mouse to the left side of the screen and the editing tools pop up.

post-566-0-33600800-1348658644_thumb.jpg

Another fan of FastStone Image Viewer here. For just the simple tasks; cropping, adjusting the colours, getting rid of red eyes and renaming etc. it's an absolute winner. It puts that awful ACDSee to shame as it's around a 4 or 5mBs download.

For more complex tasks I use either GIMP or PhotoShop. There's so many great tutorials online for every enhancemnt you could ever want to make.

• 7 months later...

I have heard, not advising you to do so, that some software can be found online & downloaded from something called a torrent site??? Lightbox being 1 such example of a good product - just had a play myself, and seems manageable with practice.

If a free program is needed, the best is probably to invest some time into GIMP, because it is fairly advanced in features and will still be around in years.

About Paint.net, I found this frightening (quoted from dpreview):

Paint.net is a free Windows-only program that's often mentioned alongside GIMP (it's free, for one thing) but avid users give it an edge in terms of learning curve; if you know your way around Microsoft Paint, you should get the hang of Paint.net pretty quickly.

I remember Paint (classic, not paint.net) from the windows 3.1 days and how it didn't improve all through windows XP... Apparently paint.net improved things a lot, but since I haven't touched paint since the last century...

Adobe Lightroom. Easy to learn the basics, but very powerful tool to catalogue and edit your photos.

indeed, readily available in thailand as well

+1

By which I hope you mean that you can purchase it from the Adobe South East Asia store. It's too good and too cheap not to do the decent thing and purchase a legal copy.

• Like 1