Footwear

loong

I know that a fair amount of you guys are hands on and wondering what you wear on your feet when out in the fields or mucking out your pigs etc.

The problem that I have, especially when wearing rubber boots for any length of time, is that sweat accumalates and my feet end up sloshing around. I have to stop occasionally and empty my boots and let a bit of air get to my feet.

I'm prone to athletes foot and so this is far from ideal.

Any advice?

I know this problem well. For me the issue is the amount of water around and how long you are standing in it or your feet are wet. I have tried using rubber boots with socks and that works until the hose gets into the boots. Outside in the sun, no way wellies, too hot.

I recently bought a pair of crepe rubber slipon shoes that have heaps of holes on the top and a flip up heel ankle support. These are very light, airy and drain, just the business. Big C 200 baht.

I also work barefoot whenever possible.

The main time that I suffer is when spraying herbicife. I have to wear protective clothing and boots and with nearly no exposed skin to allow the sweat to escape, I am drenched in no time. After an hour or so, I'm exhausted.

I agree. For the most part, rubber gum boots purchased in Thailand cause ones feet to sweat ans sweat. And indeed in the end you are slushing around.in a pond. For the past five years I have used Red band gumboots purchased from Michael Hare, my NZ friend here in Ubon.. These gumboots are a Kiwi icon.. They are worn by NZ dairy farmers and never cause your feet to sweat. Last for years. Okay they are expensive, ranging from about 1600 baht upwards. However, they should last for at least ten years. Well worth the money. After five years of daily wear in Ubon my pair still look new. I think they can be purchased online.

http://www.skellerup.co.nz/catalogue/footwear/mens-gumboots

http://www.redband.co.nz/

http://www.sella.co.nz/general/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry/other-farming-forestry/v9msmq/

Well I'm the odd one out apparently I wear cheap Thai gumboots (not the absolute cheapest these are about 200 I think). Could not possibly go barefeet at any stage. I do however wear thick woollen socks. At any time except when I'm irrigating this is fine, then I end up with 2" of water in them. I do have a pair of Dunlop steel cap wellies that are pretty high quality except over the years my feet have gotten bigger I think and now they hurt. They were for work 30 years ago. No problems with athlete's foot here, in Aus I used to get it all the time. Go figure. I do use a moisturizer cream on my heels though which get a bit cracked.

Loong I still get exhausted, today I drank 5 litres of water and still was down 2 kilos, brushcutting, I must be mad.

Well I'm the odd one out apparently I wear cheap Thai gumboots (not the absolute cheapest these are about 200 I think). Could not possibly go barefeet at any stage. I do however wear thick woollen socks. At any time except when I'm irrigating this is fine, then I end up with 2" of water in them. I do have a pair of Dunlop steel cap wellies that are pretty high quality except over the years my feet have gotten bigger I think and now they hurt. They were for work 30 years ago. No problems with athlete's foot here, in Aus I used to get it all the time. Go figure. I do use a moisturizer cream on my heels though which get a bit cracked.

Loong I still get exhausted, today I drank 5 litres of water and still was down 2 kilos, brushcutting, I must be mad.

It must be the mad time of year, rains and all. Spent the last 2 days planting coconuts. think I have a thing for coconut planting. Jim

I also drink a lot of water. You need to be a bit careful when drinking too much water, don't know what level, but excessive amounts can be toxic.

Make sure that you mix an electrolyte powder with one of your glasses of water, you have to replace the salts/minerals that you lose in sweat. You can become disorientated and ill otherwise.

I also drink a lot of water. You need to be a bit careful when drinking too much water, don't know what level, but excessive amounts can be toxic.

Make sure that you mix an electrolyte powder with one of your glasses of water, you have to replace the salts/minerals that you lose in sweat. You can become disorientated and ill otherwise.

Very true, if you start getting cramps, toes fingers etc stop. The natural salts in your body allow the signals from your brain to tell your body to stay alive. People just drop dead when electrolyte levels get to low.

Maybe they should add salts to the beer, then I could sweat and drink. Jim

Very true, if you start getting cramps, toes fingers etc stop. The natural salts in your body allow the signals from your brain to tell your body to stay alive. People just drop dead when electrolyte levels get to low.

Does winging in a hammock really get a sweat up? Or is it the number of repetitions of bending the elbow? Perhaps the act of swallowing? cheesy.gif

It must be the mad time of year, rains and all. Spent the last 2 days planting coconuts. think I have a thing for coconut planting. Jim

555 don't plant 'em in the ground mate, just lay 'em in hollow..less likely to get rotten or eaten...naaa you probably know that already..

Re footwear..I used to go barefoot but got bitten by stuff too often, then it was flip flops..kept breaking or getting twigs stuck, ants between the toes.....now it is cheap rubber boots with socks....never work long enough between beers to get too sweaty..take 'em off for the time it takes to finish a beer and they dry out a bit....Best socks? Well I use those brown kids school socks since the dogs ate all my others...

So what next on the farming forum?.."do you wear underwear" ? .....Only when I go to market but have been known to do brush cutting in boxers...dangerous if any stones around.....5555

Maybe that's why some Canadians put salt in their draught beer...or maybe to it make taste of something?

No David, I am digging them in, these have already sprouted. Tried the shallow hole last year, every big rain and the nuts were headed to the Mekong.

AI not classed as work, exercise with a outcome. Jim

Idug in a bunch of sprouted coconuts..some survived some not...the ones that just sat on the ground ( fricking ground was hard ) seemed better off and have grown..several ones I stuck in holes did not.maybe location and soil condition..who knows...seems in Thailand the more effort you put into planting stuff the less the returns....smile.png

Have been doing this since grade 3...

Talcum powder into all my shoes, crocs, Wellies and even in the socks and the best part, in my undies tongue.png

It prevent rash, as a deodorant, absorb sweat and keep the feets dry (at least until the hose hit it), and there's some "Ice cool" type you can buy in the shop (not in your undies if you have small part, it will shrink further laugh.png )

Knee high Wellies can be folded down if there's to much heat build up...

Edited by RedBullHorn

Have been doing this since grade 3...

Talcum powder into all my shoes, crocs, Wellies and even in the socks and the best part, in my undies tongue.png

It prevent rash, as a deodorant, absorb sweat and keep the feets dry (at least until the hose hit it), and there's some "Ice cool" type you can buy in the shop (not in your undies if you have small part, it will shrink further laugh.png )

Knee high Wellies can be folded down if there's to much heat build up...

Prickly heat powder, same as ordinary talc, but has that cooling effect. Same same feet, socks and boots and all over after a shower. Jim

Wet-suit booties might be another option for you, as used by body/boogie boarders. The better styles have rubber, ripple soles (for walking over sharp rocks and shells).

Not sure how they would stand up to exposure to what you're spraying but I'm sure some of the guys who hang out around the coast might be able to give you the drum.

Wet-suit booties might be another option for you, as used by body/boogie boarders. The better styles have rubber, ripple soles (for walking over sharp rocks and shells).

Not sure how they would stand up to exposure to what you're spraying but I'm sure some of the guys who hang out around the coast might be able to give you the drum.

I have a pair of generic Reef Runners I used to use for mast climbing..bit like wet suit booties except not all rubber. No good for farm work though.

Surprised no one is using Blundstones..not even Jim?

I know that a fair amount of you guys are hands on and wondering what you wear on your feet when out in the fields or mucking out your pigs etc.

The problem that I have, especially when wearing rubber boots for any length of time, is that sweat accumalates and my feet end up sloshing around. I have to stop occasionally and empty my boots and let a bit of air get to my feet.

I'm prone to athletes foot and so this is far from ideal.

Any advice?

Army boots. Well maintained they will last quite long and they are designed for this climate

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App