Motorcycle/car Collision

HasanSAS

ok any info would be appreciated.

I was travelling behind a car last night in my soi which is less than 2 cars width. He was in the middle and driving at a normal speed for the soi, as there was another oncoming motorcycle I decided to overtake him on the left (...ooops) at which point he turns in....no signal/indication. He hit me on my right side causing a minor 4 inch scratch on his bumper.

Obviously the couple in the car tried to say it was my fault which it may partly have been....but he was adamant that, it's not thai law to indicate.

The insurance guy ..seemed to say to them that it would cost 4000 to repair and...that it wasn't my fault as they looked very dissapointed ;) ....after this they seemed to try and get me to admit responsibility and pay 2000 (half the repair)

That seemed strange to me, if it was my fault why wouldnt they ask for all of it?

said I would get in touch today with a thai friend because of the language barrier.

Not overtaking on the inside? Tell that to the millions of motorcyclists here who do it every day. I did exactly what the OP said. I was driving my car in the inside lane and decided to pull to the curb. Admittedly I didn't signal as it was a spur of the moment decision, but a motorcycle was overtaking on my left and I hit him as I pulled to the curb. Of course his hand came out immediately for instant compensation, but I called my insurance and they sent someone out. Never did find out who was held responsible. All the damage was actually to my car as his footpeg ripped right down the side and also smashed my mirror. No damage to his bike, but he did suffer a bruised hand.

It is entirely your fault. It's illegal in the UK to undertake I have been told it is here to, whether or not you'd have to check.

It illegal because it's so dangerous.

If you undertake then then you have to accept that the car might not see you.

I imagine they are only asking you to pay half through kindness and can't be bothered dealing with all the paperwork.

It's only 2000B just pay it and be done with it.

Why you wouldn't just wait for the motorbike coming in the opposite direction to pass and then overtake properly is confusing and if the car was travelling at normal speed then if you're overtaking aren't you going too fast ?

he was travelling at a normal speed for a car,in such a narrow soi....if he had of slowed down or even indicated to turn... then I certainly would've waited for oncoming bike to pass.

obviously I should have anyway, knowing the erratic nature of thai drivers. 2000baht sounds much easier than broken-english explanations to insurance company and tam ruatthumbsup.gif

wai.gif

I hate it when motorbikes pass on the inside. Not only is it (apparently) illegal here, but it's foolishly dangerous. I know it happens here all the time, but I assure you that it's still just as dangerous whether it's common practice or not.

BTW, I believe that the people who suffered damage to their car were being very gracious (and followed standard procedure for Thailand) by looking to split the cost when blame is not 100% clear. However, according to the OP's own description of the situation, I think he or she should have paid all damages.

I hate it when motorbikes pass on the inside. Not only is it (apparently) illegal here, but it's foolishly dangerous. I know it happens here all the time, but I assure you that it's still just as dangerous whether it's common practice or not.

BTW, I believe that the people who suffered damage to their car were being very gracious (and followed standard procedure for Thailand) by looking to split the cost when blame is not 100% clear. However, according to the OP's own description of the situation, I think he or she should have paid all damages.

There's so much that's illegal but accepted as common practice here. Overtaking on the inside is endemic as is riding on the wrong side of the road, not looking when pulling out into traffic, 5 on a motorbike, underage kids riding motorbikes etc. The list is endless.

Im not so sure its illegal for a motorbike to pass on the inside. The fact is the law says that motorbikes have to stay in the left lane. So there is no other way for them to overtake.

I agree with the part of letting the insurance sort it out. They know best.

On a 2 car-width road its extremely dangerous to under-take. Yes, a few car drivers will drive in the middle of the road, but that does not change this.

Its only when there are 4 lanes (2 for each direction), that it becomes more normal and acceptable for a scooter to under-take (in the inside lane) a car on the outside lane. But even then, the person under-taking needs to be wary.

On a 2 car-width road its extremely dangerous to under-take. Yes, a few car drivers will drive in the middle of the road, but that does not change this.

Its only when there are 4 lanes (2 for each direction), that it becomes more normal and acceptable for a scooter to under-take (in the inside lane) a car on the outside lane. But even then, the person under-taking needs to be wary.

Any road with more then 2 lanes you can lawfully undertake in Thailand. Anyone who did the test for a Thai license should know.

Im not so sure its illegal for a motorbike to pass on the inside. The fact is the law says that motorbikes have to stay in the left lane. So there is no other way for them to overtake.

It is illegal except if the car in front is signaling to turn right or more than two lanes. The law also states they have stay in the left lane except when making a right turn or overtaking a vehicle in front.

Any road with more then 2 lanes you can lawfully undertake in Thailand. Anyone who did the test for a Thai license should know.

Be that as it may, I've often had cars in the outside lane (that I'm undertaking) suddenly decide they prefer the inside lane after all... Either 'cos they're trying to do the 'right thing' by moving into the slower lane or, 'cos they don't like a scooter undertaking them...

Which is why I said it is wise to be wary.

It is illegal except if the car in front is signaling to turn right or more than two lanes. The law also states they have stay in the left lane except when making a right turn or overtaking a vehicle in front.

Sounds about right as I've often moved into the fast lane to overtake a police car/bike - with no problems.

Thanks, i was not so sure about it, anyway seems the law about staying int he left lane is for slow moving vehicules not only motorbikes. And as i got a fast bike i generally dont care and stay in what lane i want. (as long as i go as fast as traffic). It means that i have to pay a fine now and again so be it.

The most left lane is a real dangerous lane to be in so i rather pay something then have an accident.

Be that as it may, I've often had cars in the outside lane (that I'm undertaking) suddenly decide they prefer the inside lane after all... Either 'cos they're trying to do the 'right thing' by moving into the slower lane or, 'cos they don't like a scooter undertaking them...

Which is why I said it is wise to be wary.

Its always wise to be wary and i really did not want to attack you in any way. Just that many people don't know its legal to undertake here in Thailand on those kind of roads.

I am really careful when i drive either the bike or the car because you never know what someone is going to do here.

I am really careful when i drive either the bike or the car because you never know what someone is going to do here.

When I used to drive a bike here I only had one accident. It was a rainy night and I was in the left lane and a car passed me on my right. He then decided to make a left turn into a soi, no indicator, right in front of me just as he passed me. Impossible to stop and just saw the side of his car coming up on me fast. Hit him in the side and my passenger and I went down.

Interestingly enough, some Thais outside a shop at that point came over putting the blame on the car driver and specifically saying he didn't signal. He agreed to pay for the damages which was mainly a few scratches and a broken mirror and apologized.