The Great Acocado Rip-Off

Saan

I love 'em - avocados and they are cheap and in season. My wife has been buying them for between 25 and 40 baht a kilo at the market.

I like to shop at Rimping because its my closest supermarket and I enjoy the range of imported goods. I know it is bit more expensive but what the heck. I d get admonished at home for buying items she can get at the market for less. But knowing she was not going to the market for the next couyple of days, she works, I thought I d satisfy my avocado craving by buying 4 small pieces on display. I looked for a price but couldn't see one, oh well couldn't be all that much more than the market. Had them weighed with several other items and didn't look at the price until I got home and was unpacking. Four small avocados - 236 baht. My wife is right I shouldn't be let out on my own.

Bye, bye Rimping, hello Tescos.

Actually this is a normal price for imported Hass variety avocado (smaller and bumpy skin) (from Australia/NZ or California) 236 / 4 = 59 bath, price normally 45- 65 bath each depend on the season. They sell that price not only at Rimping but anywhere.

I just got the same Has variety avocado from Royal project a few days ago 3 for 50 bath same taste as imported as they are locally grown in the moutain. I don't know if they are still available though as I think they are only available once a year.

post-131333-0-61414600-1348721073_thumb.

Royal project now produce golden Kiwi too.

Edited by ARISTIDE

My roadside fruit lady on Sermsuk last week gave me a lagniappe of two avocados when I bought bananas and papaya. Best price I've had.

Also, Salsa Kitchen is serving a whole avocado prepared as guacamole, and it's 30 baht.

I do notice at Tops that the prices paid at Rimping aren't inconsistent.

The ones sold cheap at Thai markets are pretty much useless as they either have no taste at all or they are so bitter you can't eat them. We always buy the ones at Rimping for making guacamole. The number of Thais buying them at Rimping should tell you that they prefer them there as well.

There are two types of avocado, Haas variety (smaller and bumpy skin) and the larger one (large and smooth skin) usually find in Thai market. We us Hass variety to make guacamole and sometimes they are available at Royal project.

The ones sold cheap at Thai markets are pretty much useless as they either have no taste at all or they are so bitter you can't eat them. We always buy the ones at Rimping for making guacamole. The number of Thais buying them at Rimping should tell you that they prefer them there as well.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

It is not a rip-of. You are comparing imported avos with local ones which is not a fair comparison.

In Rimping Meechock they have local ones as well at prices not dissimilar to the street prices that are being quoted. If you do not look at what you are actually buying then you will end up with what appear to be unreasonable prices. Caveat Emptor.

I usually go to the market for fruit, but as i have been under the weather recently, just bought from Rimping Airport.

A bag of 5 (local) large avocados was 69 baht.

A bag of 3 giant custard apples was also 69 baht.

I dont think its unreasonable pricing, just not market pricing.

Some prices at rimping though, do beggar belief, then other things i think are a real bargain.

Sadly you obviously picked up the import ones OP.

Keep your savvy head on when shopping! ^.^

There are two types of avocado, Haas variety (smaller and bumpy skin) and the larger one (large and smooth skin) usually find in Thai market. We us Hass variety to make guacamole and sometimes they are available at Royal project.

There are dozens of avo. varieties, they vary as to water to oil ratio and sweetness. To say that only the haas variety is suitable for eating is misinformed. Sample from different vendors to find the ones that suit your tastes, make sure they are fully ripe or they will be bitter.

My avocado tree had fruit for the first time this year. Although I hate avocados, I thought maybe I could give them to someone. Unfortunately they were as hard as rock although the flesh was yellow. Maybe I have the wrong type of tree? sad.png

They were not ripe.

Avocados picked early may be stored in a cool dry position, even in a paper (never plastic) bag, until ripe. Placing a banana in the bag may hasten ripening. Depending on variety, avo's are ready to eat when slightly soft to touch and skin is going black. Check the stem 'wound' too... it should still be green. If brown, you may find the fruit is spoiled already.

• Like 1

Yeah I mean there are only two I see Hass or not Hass. And "Hass" is the best variety for guacamole.

There are dozens of avo. varieties, they vary as to water to oil ratio and sweetness. To say that only the haas variety is suitable for eating is misinformed. Sample from different vendors to find the ones that suit your tastes, make sure they are fully ripe or they will be bitter.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I agree. I was eating the local ones for a while, but just gave up as most are just plain boring. IMO they are kind of OK in guacamole, but I'm too lazy to make it very often.

My wife is right I shouldn't be let out on my own.

I love this line. Good chuckle. Thanks.

I know where he is coming from. Every time we go to Rimping or Tops the wife will refuse to buy certain items there. She just goes to a Thai market and saves money Even gets pork and chicken at the Thai markets.

What rip-off? As has been pointed out.

But TV Chiang Mai moves on! Discussions of avocado and guacamole lately? Nothing about hamburgers lately! Have posters become vegetarians?!

But, uh oh, anyone care to check out the cholesterol "count" for avocados and guacamole?

But TV Chiang Mai moves on! Discussions of avocado and guacamole lately? Nothing about hamburgers lately! Have posters become vegetarians?!

But, uh oh, anyone care to check out the cholesterol "count" for avocados and guacamole?

cholesterol in avo? 0% cholesterol is exclusivly found in animal products. avos are packrd with high quality nutrients. monosaturated fat, vits and minerals.

cholesterol in avo? 0% cholesterol is exclusivly found in animal products. avos are packrd with high quality nutrients. monosaturated fat, vits and minerals.

Correct. Avocados have "good" fat - better for you than imported olive oil - although most of the Thai ones are a lot higher in carbs and lower in fat than Hass,