Farang Food Vs. Thai Food

grumpyoldman

About 94.2% Thai food when eating out. Good local restaurants around here .. and everywhere.

I eat about twice a year at McDonalds, but the food seems not to fit to my stomach anymore.

I eat about twice a year at McDonalds, but the food seems not to fit to my stomach anymore.

Same with me. I never ate at McD’s much in the states, but it never bothered me when I did. Here, it just gives me a gut ache.

As far as the OP, about 90% Thai.

PS. Quarter Pounder with cheese was my favorite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Amount Per Serving Calories 490 % Daily Value* Total Fat 26.0 g 40 % Saturated Fat 12.0 g 60 % Sodium 2200 mg 92 % Total Carbohydrate 35 g 12 % Dietary Fiber 4 g 16 % Sugars 10 g Protein 29.0 g 58 % * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I don't eat Thai food much. Only when I am up country and there is only Thai food available then I have to eat Thai.

Any specific reason why not? What do you eat?

I find that the food is generally way better than what I had back in home country. Naturally there are days when I wish to have good old mashed potatoes and meatballs or tasty stake, but quite rarely.

I don't eat Thai food much. Only when I am up country and there is only Thai food available then I have to eat Thai.

same

maybe 15% thai food, mostly snacks

Always leaves me empty 1hour after eating, most restaurants are of bad quality especially in phuket where there is no pride, only profit.

I only like high quality thai food with high quality ingredients made by a good chef, my gf or made in the west.

Also im not too keen on the nutritional value of most thai meals compared to what im used to and i think white rice should be outlawed.

Usually like all thai seafood though, hard to mess up or save $ on ingredients and make it cheap. It's mostly fried with a standard seafood sauce smile.png

Edited by BabyJebus

I eat v little Thai food as I generally eat at home and can't be bothered to cook it!

Massaman is relatively easy (with the Massaman 'packets' bought from the shops), so I make that every now and again - but I prefer an Indian curry.

Whilst the Thai food in restaurants is mostly nice (although I suspect full of MSG, sugar and God knows what else), on the odd occasion I've bought a take-away meal (in a plastic bag...) from the market, it was all heat without any flavour I found enjoyable.

Recently I've 'discovered' Isaan meatballs at Tesco, and they're v nice, although again - God knows what's in them!

50/50 for dinner, breakfast and lunch is wheetabix and turkey sandwich, in that order

Yes, my breakfast is complete western, as is it for my wife and kid (they also prefer nice bread with add ons over rice for breakfast now).

Western breakfast.

Lunch 50/50. Maybe sandwich, hamburger, pie or just as likely Thai stir fry, noodles, rice dish, etc.

Dinner again a mixture, maybe Aussie steak or lamb from Makro or villa with steamed western vegies or salad. Sometimes Thai curries, or pork or chicken dishes.

Don't go to restaurants that often, but always eat Thai. Tried a steak at a place in Rawai once, would have been better off eating my thong!

I eat v little Thai food as I generally eat at home and can't be bothered to cook it!

Massaman is relatively easy (with the Massaman 'packets' bought from the shops), so I make that every now and again - but I prefer an Indian curry.

Whilst the Thai food in restaurants is mostly nice (although I suspect full of MSG, sugar and God knows what else), on the odd occasion I've bought a take-away meal (in a plastic bag...) from the market, it was all heat without any flavour I found enjoyable.

Recently I've 'discovered' Isaan meatballs at Tesco, and they're v nice, although again - God knows what's in them!

How did that Nursery Rhyme go now?

What are Issarn Meatballs made of.

Anything that fly's,snails and puppy dogs tails.

Tried a steak at a place in Rawai once, would have been better off eating my thong!

I do hope you mean this post-123755-0-25040600-1348914311_thumb. and not this post-123755-0-32512500-1348914331_thumb. smile.png

ah yes, my male modelling days, it was just a normal thong, but a bit on the big size, so i raised the side straps over my shoulders, wal-laaaaa, the mankini was born, i'm toying with the idea of a jockstrap, hands free beer can holder, worn outside the pants/ shorts. or contact lenses set in "wait for it" frames, i've looked at these tablet phones, iphones etc, quite big and bulky, what about "wait for it" a phone that fits in your pocket, they started to develop them oh a few year ago, i think they were called a mobile phone, if any ones interested i've got 20,000 donkey slippers available, thats not slippers designed in the style of a donkey, but slippers for donkeys, never really took off, the recession and all that. as for food, anything that cast a shadow, not for me

Tried a steak at a place in Rawai once, would have been better off eating my thong!

I do hope you mean this post-123755-0-25040600-1348914311_thumb. and not this post-123755-0-32512500-1348914331_thumb. smile.png

ah yes, my male modelling days, it was just a normal thong, but a bit on the big size, so i raised the side straps over my shoulders, wal-laaaaa, the mankini was born, i'm toying with the idea of a jockstrap, hands free beer can holder, worn outside the pants/ shorts. or contact lenses set in "wait for it" frames, i've looked at these tablet phones, iphones etc, quite big and bulky, what about "wait for it" a phone that fits in your pocket, they started to develop them oh a few year ago, i think they were called a mobile phone, if any ones interested i've got 20,000 donkey slippers available, thats not slippers designed in the style of a donkey, but slippers for donkeys, never really took off, the recession and all that. as for food, anything that cast a shadow, not for me

maybe he's on about this thong, sorry the wife was having a bad hair and tash day, told her to immac, will she listen, no way, can you believe it 42 next week, thats double G after the op, no shadow there, ban-ap-ba- teet

post-151889-0-88882600-1348918465_thumb.

I eat 90% Thai food and when I eat farang food most of the time I prepare it myself. The few times I have been back to my home country (land of the Big Mac) I missed the food here so much; and my wife was repulsed by American food -- even in nice restaurants. It's amazing that a country with such horrible food could have an obesity problem.

I put Isarn food at the top of my list...one of the reasons I love to live here.

All of my male relatives back home have high blood pressure/cholesterol and diabetic problems...I smoke, and drink more than any of them and don't suffer from any of that..(knocking on wood)...an added observation is that all the Thai restaurants in the US are overpriced and very low quality...Thank god we live in a place like Phuket; it's heaven in terms of weather and quality/range/cost of dining options.

I eat a lot of Thai food at home for most meals because my bf's mom always cooks and the times she is in the kitchen would be my ideal time to cook -- and also I've lost weight eating her food and don't want to offend her by not eating her cooking. I do cook sometimes but not as often as I would like ;/

When I go out I tend to go for Japanese (my fav) maybe Korean or some Western kind of food. If I get Thai food I usually buy it from the street places, it taste better and it's a lot cheaper-- makes more sense to me anyway!!

• Like 1

Regarding the couple of posts on McDonalds, do you think the meat is as regulated here as in the west?

One poster says he doesn't have the stomach for it anymore.

I often wonder if there is any regulations, I mean if they wanted to serve roo burgers, would anyone say they couldn't?

I don't know but it could be the overload of fat from the burger + fries when stomach is more used to Thai food?

Then again, local fried chickens does not normally make problems with the stomach.

When i first arrived here i did miss Western food

Now i eat mostly Thai food but i do make a roast meal occasionally which i enjoy

About once a fortnight my wife makes a western breakfast and thats enough for me

Is spell check working for other people on this forum, its of and on for me but mostly not working with Thaivisa but works fine on every other web site