How Would You Improve Thailand?

Gone

As the Immigration Department monitors these forums I would like to know your serious way that YOU think would help improve Thailand? And please lets not say things like: "Fix the dam_n potholes in all the roads" etc.

Either post your ideas or elaborate more on my opinions.

In my opinion I would have to say (not in any particular order):

1) Make it easier for foreigners to buy & own land or houses.

2) Make the Visa options easier to attract more tourists who might become expats here. e.g.: 90 day multiple entry tourist visa upon arrival.

3) Education for learning English language MUST be a priority in ALL areas of Thailand which would mean the Government must pay higher salaries for REAL English teachers and must also fund all of Thailand including the poor provinces with enough money to hire these teachers etc. By this I also mean training Government staff to speak English as well. The problem now is that they say they are trying to stop corruption etc. but if a foreigner has a complaint or needs to report to most Police stations, there are not many that have English speaking staff. The same goes for a lot of Government agencies.

4) The obvious is to lower corruption however this is not an easy one.

5) Thailand has been so independent all along and tries to do everything on their own without taking help from 1st word Nations and I think they should start accepting help and researching the way things are done elsewhere for instance consulting New Orleans regarding flood prevention and in general just follow other countries who have gone from "developing" to "2nd world status" to 1st world status.

Anyone else?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think number 4 is the prime concern. If corruption and nepotism were eliminated - pipe dream - or at least reduced you'd be amazed how how many of the other problems would start to fix themselves. Unfortunately it's not going to happen as these are inbred in Thai society and part of the everyday life.

• Like 1

I would appoint an educated English (as first language) speaking person (or 20).

Then have them personally interview every English teacher in Thailand and immediately dismiss those teachers who can't actually speak any English.

It might be a good idea to treat other subjects in a similar way.

Then introduce an exam system where you can't buy results.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I would also like to try and stop prostitution in Thailand.

With serious jail time and heavy fines for sellers and purchasers, along with compulsory deportation for foreign offenders and their passport stamped 'never to return to Thailand, uses prostitutes' for all the world to see.

But I suspect that wouldn't be popular with many TV members.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

I think that if they ever relax the rules for foreigners owning land and houses here Thailand will only change for the worse. In a few years no Thai would be able to buy land or afford a decent house. If you don't have a Thai wife you can trust to own it then simply rent.

I would also like to try and stop prostitution in Thailand.

With serious jail time and heavy fines for sellers and purchasers, along with compulsory deportation for foreign offenders and their passport stamped 'never to return to Thailand, uses prostitutes' for all the world to see.

But I suspect that wouldn't be popular with many TV members

I have never understood why Governments nor anyone feels the need to interfere with what is a basic business deal.If someone is willing to pay for sexual services and there is somebody perfectly willing to provide those services of their own free will then what has it to do with anyone else apart from the two people ? especially when you legislate against it.

The only thing I would like to see is for them to make it a little easier to stay here and stop making you jump through hoops just for the pleasure

• Like 1

I know this will go over like a lead balloon ... I think there should be more emphasis on foreigners teaching Thai teachers.

cheesy.gif

Since when can the 'chick' teach anything to the 'hen'.

I've done it here. It works.

I have no idea what your comment is about. Do you?

Edited by rijb

I know this will go over like a lead balloon ... I think there should be more emphasis on foreigners teaching Thai teachers.

cheesy.gif

Since when can the 'chick' teach anything to the 'hen'.

I've done it here. It works.

I have no idea what your comment is about. Do you?

Indeed, I do. About the Thai way, to look at thingsgiggle.gif !

Edited by noob7

Unless you're Thai, or you know anything about train-the-trainer concepts and principles, you should stick to playing with your emoticons.

cheesy.gif

You made my day!

I'm pretty sure, you don't have a clue, what I meant.

But it doesn't really matter, to me. I'm in Thailand 'long time. And I got used to it!clap2.gif

I made the first post. You responded poorly. Up to you to clarify.

PS: I have more time on a squat hole than you have in Thailand. smile.png

Good! ( to see you, start playing with (TV) emoticons ,and stating your kind of experience, too) whistling.gif

But with your squat hole time in mind, I assume, you know, what Thai citizen are thinking about changes, b/c of a Non-Thai said, this is the better way, do do things, do you? I mean in particular, if this 'Non-Thai' is not writing the pay check? Even doing so, is not assuring, that it will be adopted. And not always, conducting a proper drill, will be supported by the involved parties.

. I think there should be more emphasis on foreigners teaching Thai teachers.

Kind of a "Let me have my cake and eat it, too.", mostly. Isn't it?

Just trying to communicate, using your (emoticon) language. smile.png

You made a grandiose assumption about my original contribution. I was being more tactical. I'll try again.

Mechanical skills like English, Chinese, etc. should / can be taught, within the Thai culture, more efficiently if we do more to help (not force) the Thai teachers. It's about leverage and practicality. Not about colonization.

Just trying to communicate, using your (emoticon) language. smile.png

You made a grandiose assumption about my original contribution. I was being more tactical. I'll try again.

Mechanical skills like English, Chinese, etc. should / can be taught, within the Thai culture, more efficiently if we do more to help (not force) the Thai teachers. It's about leverage and practicality. Not about colonization.

I think, I do understand your point. i did, in your first post.

I only wrote, in some' funny word', the usual point of view from a citizen of this amazing country to it.

But I get it now. My fault, I forgot on of these tags, me think [/irony] or [/rhetorical question]

Looks to me, spending most time on the hole, can be unrewarding, too. wink.png

Edited by noob7

noob7 and rijb,

Are you guys done arguing here please?

To the rest, you don't need to only comment on my OP. I was hoping to hear other suggestions of how to improve Thailand.

Prostitution is the oldest trade going and I think by stopping it here that would only do harm to Thailand's economy. It has also been proven that prostitution cuts down on rapes and acts against woman.

Nothing is going to take Thailand to 2nd world class over night so in My opinion, teaching English to the Thai teachers is not the best idea. They need to focus on the long term and teach Conversational English to the children and take away the "Grammar" fact that is shoved down their throats by Thai teachers teaching English.

That is why kids hate learning English because they think that it will involve a lot of Grammar so they hate it before it's even taught to them by a native speaker.

Thai children need to know how to have a conversation in English and not why a "Past progressive ProNoun cannot be used with a future tense adverb when there would be no classifier as the adverb"

Most people here have chose my #4, corruption but again in my opinion corruption is why many people come here and although I think it should stop, it will take decades of a "Non-Corrupt" Government to be in place. For sure they need to address this before moving to a 2nd world class Nation.

Nothing is going to take Thailand to 2nd world class over night so in My opinion, teaching English to the Thai teachers is not the best idea. They need to focus on the long term and teach Conversational English to the children and take away the "Grammar" fact that is shoved down their throats by Thai teachers teaching English.

They teach grammar because they can't teach conversational English, it's not a skill the teachers have.

Teaching grammar is a symptom, not the disease.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

noob7 and rijb,

Are you guys done arguing here please?

To the rest, you don't need to only comment on my OP. I was hoping to hear other suggestions of how to improve Thailand.

Prostitution is the oldest trade going and I think by stopping it here that would only do harm to Thailand's economy. It has also been proven that prostitution cuts down on rapes and acts against woman.

That is why kids hate learning English because they think that it will involve a lot of Grammar so they hate it before it's even taught to them by a native speaker.

Thai children need to know how to have a conversation in English and not why a "Past progressive ProNoun cannot be used with a future tense adverb when there would be no classifier as the adverb"

Most people here have chose my #4, corruption but again in my opinion corruption is why many people come here and although I think it should stop, it will take decades of a "Non-Corrupt" Government to be in place. For sure they need to address this before moving to a 2nd world class Nation.

You could join in our discussion related to your 3rd "opinion". But, judging by your contributions so far, facts would only get in your way.

Edited by rijb

EDUCATION - With an emphasis on personal responsibility and civic-mindedness. Development of an intolerance for dependent, infantile

attitudes in adults. Teach that one's outer circumstances in life

are invaribly a reflection of one's inner character. ....

I like the year long tourist visa idea... Cut down on the bureaucratic nonsense. thumbsup.gif

Changing Thailand? Why? If it wasn't like this... then you probably wouldn't like it.

If there was no corruption, then baseline wages would need to be higher meaning it would be more expensive - negative.

If all Thai people could speak good English then a lot of people would be out of jobs and a visa - negative.

If prostitution was outlawed then a lot of people would find themselves without a girlfreind - nagative.

etc etc... tongue in cheek wink.png

• Like 1