Day Laborers

junglechef

Looking for two workers to help me around my place. Nothing too hard or heavy just got some things that are awkward for one to handle and a few projects I'd rather not do myself. Willing to pay a fair wage, 300 bht per day. English not necessary but a little would be great. Pick-up and drop off possible if needed. Anybody had a good experience with hiring a few people around here whom I would be able to contact? I see guys for hire around the JJ Market area sitting on the curb, well that's what I assume they are doing. Anybody tried this route? Happy to have some University students and as they are on holiday this month maybe someone has a kid who could use some extra cash. Any help appreciated.

The guys on the sidewalk around JJ market are mostly migrant workers and may or may not have a work permit. You'd probably need some help to check for a WP if you go that route because if you get caught employing someone without it's not good news. Immigration have patrols out mostly checking building sites - one day half a dozen men from the site next door to our house leaped over the wall and hid in the bushes during a swoop.

The guys on the sidewalk around JJ market are mostly migrant workers and may or may not have a work permit. You'd probably need some help to check for a WP if you go that route because if you get caught employing someone without it's not good news. Immigration have patrols out mostly checking building sites - one day half a dozen men from the site next door to our house leaped over the wall and hid in the bushes during a swoop.

He's right. Almost 5 years ago we went to pick up some of those guys near JJ Market to help prep, lay the walkways, and plant our new garden when we first moved in. The g/f was doing the talking when all of a sudden the police pulled up and warned us not to employ illegal aliens or we could both be in a lot of trouble. The police were very unfriendly and very serious about it. Most of those guys went running in different directions when they saw the police arrive.

Incidentally, my wife tells me that the legit and not so legit Burmese labourers are asking the same day rate as local Thai workers so other than the hassle of trying to find someone, there is no financial incentive to get on the wrong side of the immigration people.

Before anyone says it, that's as it should be.

Wifey had a cousin conscripted to Kawilla. After recruit training they seemed to have this very odd system that was almost two weeks on one week (or more) off. Anyhow contacted him and if I was prepared to wait a few days I could get half a dozen guys no problem, all young, fit, with boots!. As this was a basic labouring rather than skill job went with him, Threw on a few beers, food and karaoke (at home given family connection). Top job done by all and have used a few of them for other things (driving wifey to mountain home for a few days....she don't drive and I don't mountain). A few still drop in about once a fornight to catch up with wifey (same village), bring mountain food for her and if I need anything done and am prepared to wait till they are on leave use them again.

I was suprised how many had second jobs while conscripts (for a while they all did security work at Royal Flora). There was always one that could fix a bike, or electrics as well.

No problems with language, or work rights etc as far as I am concerned its the best way to go (for straight out labour) if you are prepared to wait.

Could not agree more regarding staying away from Burmese in CM (re Police/ Immigration intervention) unless you are building in Chiang Dao or other rural (in which case its hard to find a Thai). Rather be sweet with the army than come to the attention of the police.

Any family of Op's in the army? If so I really would recommend giving it a go.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

The guys on the sidewalk around JJ market are mostly migrant workers and may or may not have a work permit.

Whether they have a work permit is kind of irrelevant since, AFAIK, all work permits for Burmese are employer specific. Even if they showed you such a document it doesn't mean they can use it to work for you. More important to check if they have plausible ID, a few of the younger ones who were born in Thailand do.

BTW the BIB did a big raid over by JJ a few days back, picked up quite a few apparently.

• Like 1

"Willing to pay a fair wage, 300 bht per day"

Remember Thailand has a very low unemployment rate. Under 1%

300 Bt is minimum in some areas, and soon will be here to. It is the pay scale for the most uneducated or under educated.

Been yesrs since I have found anyone decent for under 500 Bt.

Pay well, a few extra perks like snacks and pepsi or such and you'll always have people checking if you have any extra work you need done

• Like 1

The guys on the sidewalk around JJ market are mostly migrant workers and may or may not have a work permit.

Whether they have a work permit is kind of irrelevant since, AFAIK, all work permits for Burmese are employer specific. Even if they showed you such a document it doesn't mean they can use it to work for you. More important to check if they have plausible ID, a few of the younger ones who were born in Thailand do.

BTW the BIB did a big raid over by JJ a few days back, picked up quite a few apparently.

That pretty well clears the situation. Any Burmese hired at JJ market would be illegal. You would have to get them a work permit for your job.

The down side to it all is from every thing I have heard the Burmese are far and away the best workers.

"Willing to pay a fair wage, 300 bht per day"

Remember Thailand has a very low unemployment rate. Under 1%

300 Bt is minimum in some areas, and soon will be here to. It is the pay scale for the most uneducated or under educated.

Been yesrs since I have found anyone decent for under 500 Bt.

Pay well, a few extra perks like snacks and pepsi or such and you'll always have people checking if you have any extra work you need done

I'm surprised at that quote. I was under the impression that construction workers make 250 bht a day and I've seen the ads for 7/11 employees at 7000 mnth which works out to less than 200 bht a day. I have no problem paying the going rate but would feel bad that my full time gardener would see me paying day help a lot more than he gets, doesn't feel fair (he was working here when I bought the place and I gave him a raise just to be nice). Anybody else have an opinion on the wages of day help?

Edited by junglechef

Maybe those are city prices?? I've recently hire a company to build a structure for me in the Mae Jo area and the site foreman was paid 300 bht a day and the workers 250 bht. I know this as this it was all transparent and I was billed for these wages as such. Also they did a real good job with my GF directions as she had to tell them what she wanted. Maybe I just got lucky but now you made me think of it (well actually it was my GF's idea) I'll give them a call and see if they will do a different kinds of work for me.