Buying A Reliable 2Nd Hand Car In Thailand.

I have spent 30 years in America buying and selling used cars as my profession.

I know how to find a good used car when I see it, but my question is what kind of car to buy for me here in Thailand.

I have long legs and I also need an automatic transmission.

I have a small budget of about 200,000 baht.

I was thinking a Nissan NV Queen Cab/LPG (does the engine have enough power?)

or a Toyota Corona/LPG.

Could anyone tell me of what they recomend or what they can tell me about these cars. I want LPG because gasoline is to expensive here.

I want something very reliable, easy to fix and easy to get parts for.

Thank you kindly

• Like 1

The budget is a bit short to get something acceptable. Further to that, most of the posters here will confirm that you would do better with a SUV / pickup rather than a sedan (given the state of the roads).

Obviously with that budget, all you will get is some rotten motor with huge mileage and probably some other (hidden) issues. Toyota, Isuzu, Honda are the way to go for easy to fix and easy to find parts. But then again, with that budget you are looking at 10-20 yr old cars, with uncertain history. Automatic transmission, in cars of that generation probably need change at around 100 K kms. So, you could be getting a lemon where the auto gear has not been touched for ages, let alone replaced.

For starters, try looking here:

http://www.one2car.com/Price/Less-than-200000#Banner

I have always ridden a sedan here and no problems at all. Maybe if you live away from the civilized world (not BKK or Pattaya ect). I would not want a SUV / pickup.

But you are right about his budget its not high enough.

I have a 2007 NV Wingroad, with an auto tranny. It's been a great car (actually a Queen Cab truck with a cap) for my needs. They are very reliable just as long as you get a 1998+ with the FI engine. In the stock condition, the 1.6L engine has adequate power, and transmission is calibrated for optimal fuel economy. Also, there should be enough room for your long legs and the 200K baht budget would be sufficient to locate one in decent condition. I've been able to haul a 7cf refrigerator, 12Kg laundry machine and mountain bike with it as well. They are simple easy to fix cars and new/used parts have been straightforward to obtain. The caveats are you won't be getting any hi-so bonus points with the superficial Thai mentality and they specify 95 benzene.

I've added a header, high flow air filter, performance exhaust, bumped timing, high stall torque converter and small diameter low profile tires. It will walk away from 3.0L trucks and run neck to neck with 2.0L Civics. Mileage is usually 15km/L or above if I'm not a being leadfoot. Unfortunately, it will be sold soon as I'll re-locate to Oz. Let me know if you might be interested. Although, my asking price will be slightly higher than your budget because it only has 50K kms on the odometer and of the extras. Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

BTW, One2car.com is not a bad website for searching 2nd hand cars. In my experience though, there are many tent sellers on that website, which I try to avoid. Tents that sell cars usually charge a slightly higher price and since they are also car savvy, can possibly hide potential issues with a car better than a private seller.

My personal favorite website for 2nd hand cars is http://www.taladrod..../Home/Home.aspx There are more private sellers there, which could make it more possible to find a bargain. Although, you will need someone who can read and speak Thai to take full advantage of that. Currently,100 NVs are offered for sale there.....

Edited by SoCalChris

BTW, One2car.com is not a bad website for searching 2nd hand cars. In my experience though, there are many tent sellers on that website, which I try to avoid. Tents that sell cars usually charge a slightly higher price and since they are also car savvy, can possibly hide potential issues with a car better than a private seller.

My personal favorite website for 2nd hand cars is http://www.taladrod..../Home/Home.aspx There are more private sellers there, which could make it more possible to find a bargain. Although, you will need someone who can read and speak Thai to take full advantage of that. Currently,100 NVs are offered for sale there.....

You could be more 'patriotic' and mention the TV Classifieds as well...not that big selection,but possibly less 'local' dealers,so more possibilities to find something you like and not to be "taken for the ride" wink.png

You could be more 'patriotic' and mention the TV Classifieds as well...not that big selection,but possibly less 'local' dealers,so more possibilities to find something you like and not to be "taken for the ride" wink.png

Nah, I'll leave the patriotism to you as you've already done a fine job. wink.pngthumbsup.gif By all means, people should not limit themselves to only one resource.

However, I'll give the OP what I think is the best way to access good cars at a reasonable price. IMHO, that is using TaladRod.com possibly with some Thai assistance. I feel fortunate I found a decent car at a reasonable price from a good Thai person there. My general advice though is whatever you use; TV classifieds, One2Car, TaladRod, and etc., buyers in Thailand need to be very careful...Thai or farang sellers.

FWIW, TV classifieds has had only a couple of NVs in the past year so I didn't mention it, sorry. I did buy a good mountain bike, laundry machine, keyboards, and refrigerator from TV classifieds, so I guess my patriotism exists in that regard. 555 smile.png

Edited by SoCalChris

The budget is a bit short to get something acceptable. Further to that, most of the posters here will confirm that you would do better with a SUV / pickup rather than a sedan (given the state of the roads).

Obviously with that budget, all you will get is some rotten motor with huge mileage and probably some other (hidden) issues. Toyota, Isuzu, Honda are the way to go for easy to fix and easy to find parts. But then again, with that budget you are looking at 10-20 yr old cars, with uncertain history. Automatic transmission, in cars of that generation probably need change at around 100 K kms. So, you could be getting a lemon where the auto gear has not been touched for ages, let alone replaced.

For starters, try looking here:

http://www.one2car.c...n-200000#Banner

I bought a Toyota Corolla with LPG about two years ago for 160000Baht, it would be about twenty years old and has proved very reliable, I would certainly recommend one.

Very happy with my BMW 520i MT e34 1991 model, cheap for parts (OE parts) and hasnt let me down, cheap to run, not worth putting lpg on, can drive to Chaing Mai from Pattaya for about 2500 baht, probably the most popular model BMW sold here in Thailand too, You can pick them up for just over 200k, the big nose are a bit more.

post-4090-0-31880900-1349812299_thumb.jp

As an example of parts

4 discs and pads - 6000 baht (BMW's use soft discs to get a nice pedal, so discs and pads change together, 30 minute job to do myself)

reco the bushes and ball joints in front end 7000 baht

replace tailshaft universals 4000 baht

new clutch slave cylinder 800 baht (italian OE)

Fan speed controlled repair 200 baht

Thats about all that has been replaced in 5 years apart from new wheels and a front spoiler.