Hong Kong Ferry Crash Kills Dozens

webfact

Hong Kong ferry crash kills dozens

HONG KONG: -- At least 25 people are dead after two ferries collided off Hong Kong’s Lamma Island ahead of a fireworks display to mark China’s National Day.

Rescuers pulled 123 people from the sinking vessel, after the collision at about 8.20pm, according to a goverment press release.

Seventeen people were certified dead at the scene and eight on arrival at hospitals.

Of the more than 100 passengers taken to five hospitals, nine were in serious or critical condition as of 3am, the government said.

The ferry that sank was being used to carry 124 passengers and crew to watch fireworks in the city’s harbour to celebrate China’s National Day, government broadcaster RTHK said, citing company Director of Operations S.S. Yuen.

Spokesmen for the power utility didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment.

The second vessel, which wasn’t badly damaged and continued on its way after the accident, was a ferry operated by Hong Kong & Kowloon Ferry Holdings Ltd, according to local cable outlet Now TV.

The government didn’t give details of the vessels’ identities.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...1002-26w26.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-10-02

footer_n.gif

Without knowing the full details, I can only speculate that human error would be the most probable cause.

Even with sophisticated equipment on board these days, some people forget the basic principles of maintaining a proper lookout on the bridge......ie, look out the window and don't rely entirely on the equipment. Unfortunately, these days, not enough emphasis is placed on using one's brain and common sense......the electronic age has made people slack in this regard, and unfortunately it has cost the lives of so many who were out to enjoy themselves.

• Like 1

Being as sad as this is it would be an excellent opportunity to review operating procedures for the Chao Praya River Express boat. I spent 4.5 years living directly on the river and I have witnessed some of the maneuvers made by some of the drivers. The most common maneuver that is likely to lead to a crash is how close they move around the large barges. It is very bad when the barges are empty, therefore high in the water, and they shoot around the back. On more than one occasion I have witnessed these boats getting within 5m of each other as both boats aim for the rear of the barge, neither able to see the other boat until they are both past the corner of the barge. In 4.5 years I have heard the horns blaring about once a month but, luckily, no accidents. One accident in this scenario will certainly lead to deaths and, with the boats being as overloaded as they are, could easily see a death-toll of 150+. Add to the scenario the large numbers of Thai nationals who can't swim and a VERY strong current in the Chao Praya.....nasty stuff indeed.

Should be a reminder to review..... ermm.gif

Edited by draftvader

"The second vessel, which wasn’t badly damaged and continued on its way after the accident,..."

That's outrageous! I am under the impression (someone correct if I am in error) that International Laws demand that the second craft lend assistance (at least until other craft arrive). Very sad and condolences to all.

"The second vessel, which wasn’t badly damaged and continued on its way after the accident,..."

That's outrageous! I am under the impression (someone correct if I am in error) that International Laws demand that the second craft lend assistance (at least until other craft arrive). Very sad and condolences to all.

Facts seem fuzzy at the moment. I had HK sailing friends who were demanded cash for resucue after capsizing in Chinese waters close to HK, but that was in the 1980s. Figures I can see currently say, 123 rescued 17 died. It seems to me that is a low number of people dying whilst trying to get out of an upside down ferry and we may end up cogratulating rescuers.

And yes, reviews of marine passenger safety throughout Asia are not a bad idea. I speak as a survivor of a Phuket snorkelling tour group that drifted off leaving me behind until my partner raised the alarm.

Facts seem fuzzy at the moment. I had HK sailing friends who were demanded cash for resucue after capsizing in Chinese waters close to HK, but that was in the 1980s. Figures I can see currently say, 123 rescued 17 died. It seems to me that is a low number of people dying whilst trying to get out of an upside down ferry and we may end up cogratulating rescuers.

And yes, reviews of marine passenger safety throughout Asia are not a bad idea. I speak as a survivor of a Phuket snorkelling tour group that drifted off leaving me behind until my partner raised the alarm.

Believe me K. lubbkis, I definitely tip my hat to the rescuers. Just disheartened by the actions of the second vessel already on site. Of the many years spent on and in the water I know how "moments" count in emergencies. Glad you survived the Phuket ordeal, could have easily been an altogether different outcome.

Believe me K. lubbkis, I definitely tip my hat to the rescuers. Just disheartened by the actions of the second vessel already on site. Of the many years spent on and in the water I know how "moments" count in emergencies. Glad you survived the Phuket ordeal, could have easily been an altogether different outcome.

I guess the truth is Dap, we don't know what the second vessel did yet. An entry in the media, saying it carried on its way after the accident could mean anything and any timescale. Best not to jump to conclusions and wait until all the information is released.

The second vessel was the regular ferry that assures the liaison between Lamma and Hong Kong. The official version so far is that it was dammaged from the collision as well and was afraid of sinking and therefore the captain decided to reach a pier as fast as possible. These ferries usually carry hundreds of passengers so the decision makes sense.

At the latest news, 36 persons died in the accident.

Edited by JurgenG

The local news says something like the first boat was hit from behind by the second and sank very quickly . The second boat , also dammaged headed back to Yung Shue Wan pier immediatley and let the passengers off . Six people have been arrested and are helping the marine police with enquieries .

A survivor has just said it took about two minutes to tip up and sink .

Edited by onionluke

Having taken those ferries for 12 years and having come inches from catastrophy, I can hardly say I'm surprised. The power station boats routinely cut inside danger markers and the rules of the road are followed in a similar manner as by drivers here. Mind you in the early days, the Lamma ferry captain would take a six pack up to the bridge for the last journey back to Lamma.

I guess the truth is Dap, we don't know what the second vessel did yet. An entry in the media, saying it carried on its way after the accident could mean anything and any timescale. Best not to jump to conclusions and wait until all the information is released.

True enough G J. Mouth racing faster than brain. Will wait to see.

Edited by Dap

The second vessel was the regular ferry that assures the liaison between Lamma and Hong Kong. The official version so far is that it was dammaged from the collision as well and was afraid of sinking and therefore the captain decided to reach a pier as fast as possible. These ferries usually carry hundreds of passengers so the decision makes sense.

At the latest news, 36 persons died in the accident.

As replied to GentlemanJim, my mouth was racing faster than my brain. Will wait for a more detailed report.

• Like 1