Where To Start!

Arriving in BKK to start a 'fresh' about mid-March - indefinitie period - but at the very least 13 months

Have a pretty decent job lined up around Sukhuvit 55 area?

Am looking to make new friends/ find a gym to use/ nice bars to drink in - basically all the usual things a single 'girl' would wanna indulge in.

Like I said in the title . . .'where to start?!'

Would appreciate any advice! :o

Thanks in antic.

Imp

I have heard that single foreign girls don’t always have a good time here but maybe it’s down to personality. If you live in Soi 55 you will be well placed to go to lots of pubs. Londoner, Dubliner, Bull’s Head all around Soi 33ish. Soi 55 Thong Lor has some places of interest as well I believe. It’s a big Japanese area so if you like Sushi you will be OK. Hop on the Sky train up to Victory monument and go to the Saxophone for some live music. There are night clubs as well but I’m too much of an old git for that sort of thing I’m afraid. Make some Thai friends at work and they will take you out.

In Suk 55 around soi 9 is Witches Tavern. Opposite is on other side of streets the street is a small bar, Cosy Corner, Corrie there speaks fluent English, nice normal people visit there. Grand Towr Inn at the beginning of Suk 55 has a gym where you can pay by visit or monthly.

Around Suk 55 Soi 21 are some bars if you are under 30, Thai disco style.

Imp,

You wrote that you would be heading for Bangkok mid-March. If you are someone who really enjoys nightlife, then I would suggest you to make your final decision (on whether to go to Thailand or not) around the beginning of March. From several sources on the Net, I have read that around the beginning of March (I think one source said March 1) ,the Thai government would make its final decision on the closing times of all nightlife venues.

Some people are talking about midnight closing time. In case you don't know, currently, all pubs, bars, etc must close by 2 am.

Anyway...keep that in mind.

Regards,

Jem

Thanks for that Jem!

Unfortunately I have business in BKK - so no real option over whether to go or not. I've heard 'rumblings' so to speak about the possibility of bars closing @ midnight. What on EARTH is that all about? . . . in this day and age . . . .sounds totally mad to me.

Although I'm more of a bar & pub kinda person - than a clubber - would still like the option as to what time I wanna stay out!

Guess we'll have to wait until March to see??

Appreciate your reply :-)

Imp

Close at midnight? Well if they do- the bar owners will do as they always do- close and then reopen. :o Let's be realistic here, how many of you honestly even saw a 2AM closing enforced? I know I haven't- they rarely pay attention to it.

Too much dosh to be made- I think we shant worry about this too much!

All the bar-owners are on a 'wait-and-see'.

Personally, I don't think it will be midnight, but 2:00 am is implemented quite strictly in BKK-Sukhumvit area incl. Cowboy (lights on at 1:45 and the boys in brown all over). They implemented a couple of closed door for 10 days at first

offence.

Even Thermae used to close 2:00, but dod not go for the last year or so.

Anyway, they want you to be fresh in the morning to see the temples. :o

You will go to Sukhumvit 55, which is very Thai compared to sois earlier on Sukhumvit (where ther are more foreigners,...), hence you will have to rely on the beginning on your colleagues.

You did not say what you were going to do in Thailand,, so it is quite difficult for us to give you any advice but anyway, take one thing at a time, come and we'll discuss at that time (no hidden message, please,...)