Is Anyone Else Getting Driven Mad By Mozzies Atm?! Tips Etc.

ThailandNeil

Lotsa mozzies and you dont become immune to the very serious diseases they can pass onto you. play it safe and use repellant, loose fitting clothes, cover up, avoid dawn and dusk exposure especially. Small, annoying and dangerous... plenty of company in LOS.

I have loads of mosquitos where I live all year around. There's a lot of gardens in the area, so that helps. Good flyscreens can take care of most of them, but there's always the annoying few which get through when you're opening and closing the doors. They love to hang out in dark areas in the day time. If I leave my black shoes out on the doorstep overnight, I could count on 50 mosquitoes hiding in each shoe by morning. They also love to hang out in pot plants in shaded areas - I had to move mine away from the front door.

After spending some time in Western Australia I promissed myself

NEVER to complain about our mozzies anymore (although I didn't say any less)

Don't worry, mozzies only bite you, could be worse, could be tigers, they eat you.

• Like 1

You can buy one of those rechargeable electric tennis rackets for mozzies -only 90 baht

it's great fun sweeping it around amongst a bunch of them and hearing the sparks fly off as they are cooked

laugh.png

I LOVE them, not only to fry mozzies but ...

Well, lets say it this way, my son hates them cheesy.gif

Don't worry, mozzies only bite you, could be worse, could be tigers, they eat you.

I'm not so sure about that....

I read this:

"In addition to the lethal diseases they carry, mosquitoes can kill on their own. They are feared throughout the Australian outback (just one more reason not to go there) and the southern Sahara, where shallow deluges provide them excellent breeding in the water. When the larvae hatch, they attack in swarms of over 1 billion insects, descending on cows and camels and draining them of blood within 10 minutes."

http://listverse.com/2012/06/18/top-10-deadliest-animals/

I read this:

"In addition to the lethal diseases they carry, mosquitoes can kill on their own. They are feared throughout the Australian outback (just one more reason not to go there) and the southern Sahara, where shallow deluges provide them excellent breeding in the water. When the larvae hatch, they attack in swarms of over 1 billion insects, descending on cows and camels and draining them of blood within 10 minutes."

http://listverse.com...dliest-animals/

Holly s**t. Now I definatly will have bad dreams :-)

You can buy one of those rechargeable electric tennis rackets for mozzies -only 90 baht

it's great fun sweeping it around amongst a bunch of them and hearing the sparks fly off as they are cooked

laugh.png

I LOVE them, not only to fry mozzies but ...

Well, lets say it this way, my son hates them cheesy.gif

555 Great for a wet dog noses too!!!Yes I am a sicky......Keep 'em away from your TV and computer etc though...I f.ked my SILs TV (CRT type) a couple of years back.....doh!...lol

Wouldn't it be geat if someone came up with a DEET free alternative. But like everyone else who has lived in tropical climates for a while I've researched this topic many times. Unfortunately DEET based repellants seem to stiil be the best. However, someone on this forum previously suggested Dettol and olive oil in a 50/50 mixture. It works really well but the smell of the dettol is a bit overpowering. I tried adding lemongrass oil which helped, but the dettol smell won the day. Some local entrepreneur near us is now selling large bottles of lemongrass oil for 100 baht which is great, but they don't last. I don't get bitten nearly so much after 10 years here, but they are annoying for our guests.

The only additional advice I'd add is to avoid being outside between 5-7pm, don't eat much red meat, take vitamin B12 everyday, and make sure there is no standing water around your house.

• Like 1

I read this:

Holly s**t. Now I definatly will have bad dreams :-)

Apparently it would take 1.12 million mosquitoes to drain the blood of a human - of course far less until the victim became unconscious.

I'm a fan of the citronella oil sprays. Only about 65 Baht a bottle and it contains no DEET. A bonus is that it smells quite nice and seems to keep the pesky buggers away. As I live in the south we get mossies all year round so I recommend this over other sprays and creams.

I read this:

Wow, never heard that one before.

I read this:

Wow, never heard that one before.

I've heard it before, but still not convinced. You would think if an animal was being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes it would get the out of the area in a hurry. Mosquitoes can only fly at about 1.5mph max. Most animals have fur covering too, so it wouldn't be easy for the mosquitoes to get at it in huge numbers apart from the underbelly.