We're Moving To Koh Samui

Hello,

Thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm from London in the UK and am a freelance writer.

This forum post represents the first stage in preparations before myself and my girlfriend move to Koh Samui for 6-12 months on January the 14th 2013 (provided the world is still here and/or flights are even necessary...)

I'm about to start looking into the visa, jabs and living costs situations. I wanted to make this post to say 'hi!' and to see if anyone replied with any essential links or info I should check out.

Thanks in advance for any questions answered over the coming 3 months.

Mark

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay safe, lots of farangs getting in trouble there lately ermm.gif

Hi Yoslim, I'm curious; I've never had trouble there before, what sort of trouble is going on lately?

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5720800

German Tourist Stabbed To Death

http://www.thaivisa....on-koh-phangan/

Israeli Tourist Injured And Raped

http://www.thaivisa....ting-blai-leam/

Man Shoot to Death

and that's only the tip of the iceberg coffee1.gif

Edited by yoslim

Wow, pretty scary.

I wonder why Samui in particular? I wonder if other islands are safer?

It might be worth pointing out that one of these deaths was not actually on Samui, but at the Full Moon Party next door. I don't think they are truly representative of Samui in general, although I would agree that Chaweng is rapidly descending into the mire..... but there are plenty of other quieter areas on the island.

It might serve you better to take a look in the Koh Samui forum, where the locals might be able to give you the best advice.

Good luck!

I would suggest to stay away from the islands. Too many mafia style operations going on, plus it is bloody expensive. Find somwhere else on the main land to stay, cheaper and hopefully much more safer!

Yes, I agree.... I forgot to add in the previous post, you will need very deep pockets if you are determined to live on Samui. Look around more before you commit yourself.

I would suggest to stay away from the islands. Too many mafia style operations going on, plus it is bloody expensive. Find somwhere else on the main land to stay, cheaper and hopefully much more safer!

Yes, I agree.... I forgot to add in the previous post, you will need very deep pockets if you are determined to live on Samui. Look around more before you commit yourself.

Also it seems easier to do a visa run from inland than from an island...

Before you choose where to live in Thailand ask yourself what you are looking for from Thailand. Samui has its pros and cons as do all islands. Don't listen to the doom mongers here. I have been in Thailand over 9 years and never had the slightest trouble anywhere. I say trouble often finds trouble makers. Crime here is far less than back in the UK and you can leave bags of shopping hanging from your motorcycle whilst you look round the market and it will still be there when you return.

Do a little on line research and have a look about. Thailand has some wonderful places each with their own benefits. Just find one that suits your needs. Browse some of the different regional forums here. There is a wealth of information to be had and if you can't find what you are looking for ask biggrin.png

I have never looked back thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Enjoy, stay away from sleezy areas late at night as per any place on the planet and your be fine.

My Advice:

Get your visa sorted before arrival

Start to learn conversational Thai NOW

Buy clothes , personal hygiene goods here on arrival cheap as chips in big C etc

Use unused weight gained in baggage by doing above,to stock up on favourite tea bags

Ignore all the woe is me posts, Samui is fine weather is lovely and tropical hot and dry or hot and wet and the average Thai is friendly enough

As is the average 'native' expat. Welcome to Samui.

I wouldn't even considerliving in Samui it'sviolent, expensive and overrun with mafia and criminal wannabe expats...but then again six monhs will go in a blink so no big deal anyway.

Enjoy.

What's a criminal wannabe expat? Please explain.

It's all pretty clear cut to me, the Samui knockers on this and many other threads in the Koh Samui forum likely do NOT live here.

Those who are telling you what it's really like are probably expat residents.

They're the ones to listen to when deciding whether or not to come here for a holiday or live.

The others should apply for Rooo's job vacancy here:

It's all pretty clear cut to me, the Samui knockers on this and many other threads in the Koh Samui forum likely do NOT live here.

Those who are telling you what it's really like are probably expat residents.

They're the ones to listen to when deciding whether or not to come here for a holiday or live.

The others should apply for Rooo's job vacancy here:

http://www.thaivisa..../588819-wanted/

There is some good advice on this forum. It's true that those who hate the place don't live here.

It's not perfect but the living is a lot easier and nicer than in the UK.

I have been coming here for over thirty years and lived here permanently for the last ten.

Most things are available although slightly more expensive than on the mainland, it's not a big deal.

Choose where you want to live carefully as there are some areas which can be very noisy.

The major problem here is the driving. If you drive always knowing that someone will do something dangerous and stupid you will never be disappointed.

All in all, I like living here.

• Like 2

When you get here PM me and I will direct you to a lovely Thai language teacher who can help with basic communication and also cultural insights. SE part of the island.

Unfortunately the most cultural thing on Samui seems to be screwing the farang for as much money as possible as many times as possible. The rip off starts as soon as you arrive. Take a taxi and you'll find out irrespective of which part of the island you go. The OP doesn't say if he's been to Samui before. If so then he'll already know many things. He doesn't say what his requirements are. If he wants Blackpool with the sun then sure it's great. If he wants remote tranquility he can get it but i personally wouldn't feel comfortable living in such a place. Unless things have changed visa runs could be fairly described as white knuckle horror trips where your life is certainly in danger. There are many expats who are good decent people. There are many who are not. Also you can't get jellied eels or pie n mash.

Once again the 'serial posters' & 'ne'er do wells' are out in force with the intention of trouncing the island in the hope that the OP will reconsider. All the OP needs to do in order to thoroughly enjoy Samui is to apply some common sense.

Does anyone in the above group know where I left my car keys?

Edited by evadgib