We're Moving To Koh Samui

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Much better places to live in Thailand, Samui is a TOURIST destination so you get all the scammers, wannabe mafia etc like anywhere in the world. Over priced and over rated. Yes I do live here, we are leaving for the mainland as soon as we sell up. Seen most of Thailand, and IMHO Isaan looks to be the ticket. My wife says one more year here then we must get away.

Have a look around the Country first, maybe Samui is perfect for you, you might like to live near a big city, you might like to live near the sea.....up to you as they say.

Stay safe, lots of farangs getting in trouble there lately ermm.gif

Hi Yoslim, I'm curious; I've never had trouble there before, what sort of trouble is going on lately?

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5720800

German Tourist Stabbed To Death

http://www.thaivisa....on-koh-phangan/

Israeli Tourist Injured And Raped

http://www.thaivisa....ting-blai-leam/

Man Shoot to Death

and that's only the tip of the iceberg coffee1.gif

German stabbed to death, what a lot of croc, it is not determined if he was stabbed in a bar brawl or motorbike accident.

Attempted rape not rape. NOT on Samui but KPG FULL MOON PARTY.

Man shot to death, Thai V Thai.

Why don't you get your facts right before posting such dribble.?

Sure you are going to have crime in Samui. same as any other place in Thailand or the world for that matter.

Not everyone hangs around bars , not everyone goes to the full moon party .

There is a lot more to Samui then bars & getting smashed everyday.

To the OP, many normal people live there & have done so with their families for many years. Go & spend sometime fhere & judge for yourself.

Living costs? Samui can be more expensive, but not more then BKK , Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin etc..... depending on what lifestyle you wish to lead. Accommodation varies in cost, certainly a lot cheaper then BKK , food? depending on what your choices are, from street cart to five star hotels.

Travel? Air travel to the island is expensive, monopoly by BKK air, but there are different alternatives. Airports Suratthani & Nakhon Si Thammarat, with transport to ferry, bus travel.

Visa runs? There are organised companies or private groups that organize these, not so much of an issue.

You are going to get very different views. Some of these are based on fact, some on ignorance . Perhaps worth your while having a look at the Samui forum.

I apologise if my post seems harsh to some, but I believe in balanced reporting of facts & not just hearsay or assumptions.

I think I might move this there . so you can get a more balanced opinion good or bad from the locals.

Cheers & good luck.

totally agree with ya

samuis a great place

if you want trouble you will find it

if you want a quiet relaxed life you will find it

• Like 1

There was one visa run company that went out of business 6 months ago when a Van crashed and it turn out they did not have any insurance (one dead).

http://www.thaivisa....edia-visa-runs/

good luck with those visa runs ermm.gif

and walking around Chaweng feels more like talking a walk by the M25 than a tropical island sick.gif

each time I set food on the island I got food poisoning, never happened to me anywhere else in Thailand. The safe alternatives (McDonalds & Burger King) are completely overprice and there's no proper hospitals coffee1.gif You want a tropical paradise move to St-Barth

UTTER RUBBISH and total nonsense.... no good hospital, yeah right... only witch doctors here...whistling.gif Never accidents in other parts of the world??? blink.png

Obviously you spent too much time holding up bars, while you where here...and never opened your eyes to anything.... some people are really amazing... bah.gif

Care to name a good hospital, traffic on the M25 moves faster than chaweng.

did not like samui that much. too touristy, the really nice oceanfront resorts are very pricey. not my style.

top island for fatal motorbike accidents i think. many newbies spinning around drunk.

I don't know how people can live in places like that. Tourists in your face 24/7. I'd like to move to that area of Thailand but out of the tourist areas.

form a burgalry point have view, some thing the OP should consider is Big C still looking for a gun to protect home and family on the paradise island. Guess if one has a business to run the negative posts are not good for business.

There was one visa run company that went out of business 6 months ago when a Van crashed and it turn out they did not have any insurance (one dead).

http://www.thaivisa....edia-visa-runs/

good luck with those visa runs ermm.gif

and walking around Chaweng feels more like talking a walk by the M25 than a tropical island sick.gif

each time I set food on the island I got food poisoning, never happened to me anywhere else in Thailand. The safe alternatives (McDonalds & Burger King) are completely overprice and there's no proper hospitals coffee1.gif You want a tropical paradise move to St-Barth

UTTER RUBBISH and total nonsense.... no good hospital, yeah right... only witch doctors here...whistling.gif Never accidents in other parts of the world??? blink.png

Obviously you spent too much time holding up bars, while you where here...and never opened your eyes to anything.... some people are really amazing... bah.gif

Care to name a good hospital, traffic on the M25 moves faster than chaweng.

Well personally I don't have a problem with the Government hospital, in Nathon... extremely efficient and good service ... Every time the topic of hospitals, comes up, there are others who say the same thing.... thumbsup.gif

As for Chawang.... easy..... just don't go the the inner part of Chawang...bah.gif . avoiding it is simple.... just don't go there..... many other nicer areas on the island.... blink.png

Did I just feed another troll????biggrin.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

did not like samui that much. too touristy, the really nice oceanfront resorts are very pricey. not my style.

top island for fatal motorbike accidents i think. many newbies spinning around drunk.

I don't know how people can live in places like that. Tourists in your face 24/7. I'd like to move to that area of Thailand but out of the tourist areas.

That's like going to Blackpool and saying that England is too touristy. stupid generalisations yet again. whistling.gif

The only tourists that I usually see are the ones renting the houses that I look after, and they are not in my face 24/7 rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

It does get somewhat tiresome to say the least when a thread like this starts and you just know the same old couple of certain people will pounce on it. whistling.gif

I'm sure certain people just wait on threads like this, at home, salivating at the thought of yet again having an opportunity of venting their quite obvious hatred/dislike of everything that is Samui. It's like a broken record going on and on and on repeating the same drivel over and over every single time....coffee1.gif

Must get some kinda strange "kick" out of it as without fail it's the same same same thing being spouted you'd think they'd get bored being so grumpy.......anyway, it's beer o clock...biggrin.png

What a mistake. Please rethink.

I think your point has just been proven, Evergreen.

Funny how a couple of the samui bashers who have moved on to hua hin and cha am dont talk much about that area as being better than samui now that there are so many stories of robberies and killings of expats in those areas being posted. Samui is not Issan and why anyone would even think it could be compared is beyound my thinking, it is not BKK, Chang Mai or Ko Chang. Samui is it's own place and has it's own character with 5 star hotels such as the Four Seasons, it offers cottages and villas for rent. there is no shortage of white sand beaches or mountain trecks and it has more than enough clinics and hospitals to service health care needs from cradel to grave. Samui is not perfect yet it is a project of love and development and far from a sinking ship. Samui will continue to change and grow and those with the temperment for change will continue to live and enjoy samui island life while others will be lost in expectation and find themselves complaining wherever they go.

Yes, well said...

And one of those Samui bashers lives in Pattaya ... I guess they found their own paradise there.... rolleyes.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

It seems to me, that Farangs, who move from here to Pattaya or Isaan were here entirely wrong in the first place. It's not a question of prices or safety - you can live here very cheap and very safe. It's more a question of attitude. I for one would never have the intentions to move to Isaan or Pattaya. If Samui would not exist I would probably live on KPG, Koh Chang, Koh Kood, or on an other island or at a nice place along the southern or eastern coast.

I also would have never the intention to post something negative in the Pattaya or Isaan forum. As a matter of fact I am not interested at all....

I have been posting on here for many years. I have had major debates with ex residents bashing the island. I always put it down to failed business venture, relationship.

Your point about them being in the wrong place, is very valid & lends credence to their attitudes.