Apple Begins Production Of Ipad Mini: Report

webfact

Report: Apple begins production of iPad mini

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Apple has started production of the iPadmini, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, a new device that will feature a smaller, lower-resolution screen than the company's genre-defining tablet computer.

Apple is expected to announce a launch event for the device next week, getting the iPad mini into stores for the crucial Christmas holiday period.

The device is expected to provide stiff competition to rivals like Google’s Nexus 7 and the Amazon Kindle Fire which have undercut sales of the regular iPad by offering a smaller tablet at a much lower price.

The screen on the current iPad measures 9.7 inches diagonally while the new gadget will have a 7.85 inch display. The iPad currently sells for a starting price of 499 dollars, compared to 199 dollars for the Google Nexus 7.

Market-research firm IHS iSuppli forecast that global tablet sales will surge 85 per cent this year to 126.6 million units. The iPad held roughly 60 per cent of the global tablet market last year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-04

More unnecessary, pointless consumer tat.

Still, got to take one's hat off to Apple, though.

They bolt on a series of minor upgrades to the iPhone 4s that most Android users have had for ages, they intend to cut 2 inches off an iPad and the sheeple are foaming at the mouth and lining up with their fistfuls of dosh.

A totally bad decision. Oversupply of gadgets. Consumerism being raped roped into spending what most people can ill afford. I am Apple thru and thru but since Jobs left the company they are just becoming sheep not trend setters. Samsung is fast approaching and competition is always a great leveller.

Seriously, Apple can go to hell with all their hype. I will never buy any of their products.

Their OSX is quite good. I used windows for many years and although windows is very good to run programs, the internet has loads of trojans and viruses and hijacks that mess up web browsing. Linux is also good for the net.

The ipad is good for audio/music related stuff.

Edited by atyclb

Seriously, Apple can go to hell with all their hype. I will never buy any of their products.

Their OSX is quite good. I used windows for many years and although windows is very good to run programs, the internet has loads of trojans and viruses and hijacks that mess up web browsing. Linux is also good for the net.

The ipad is good for audio/music related stuff.

I primarily use Linux :)

It sounds like the new mini pad will be launched on Oct. 23.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/12/apple-miniipad-idUSL1E8LC4QV20121012?type=marketsNews

Not sure how this will be positioned with the maxi pad? Analysts are worried about lower margins on pricing ~ $299 (maxi pad margins are 23 % - 32% while iPhone margins are an impressive 49 % - 58 %).

It sounds like the new mini pad will be launched on Oct. 23.

http://www.reuters.c...ype=marketsNews

Not sure how this will be positioned with the maxi pad? Analysts are worried about lower margins on pricing ~ $299 (maxi pad margins are 23 % - 32% while iPhone margins are an impressive 49 % - 58 %).

Honestly I don't think Apple wants to hold on to those iPhone margins - they're absurd. Even Apple's "normal" level of around 30% is unrivaled in the hardware industry. But it's an issue of supply and demand. By the time demand for a new iPhone cools, they're only a few months from releasing a new model which starts another demand peak that supplies can't match.

Analysts are a bunch of wanke_rs, best not listen to them, unless you want to lose your money. Apple has not catered to them - or their own stock price - in the past, and I sure hope they'll continue with that. I'd imagine they won't go lower than 20% margins with the miniPad. Apple's strategy for tablets is that they want to own this market, and they'll price out the competition.