What Do I Need To Apply For Thai Drivers Licence On Koh Samui?

My husband and I both want to apply for Thai drivers licences. We need this for driving a car not a motorbike, in case there is a difference in requirements.

Is there a link to an official govt website that will give me a list of what documents etc are required?

Does it make any difference what type of visa we each have or the validity period of our visas. I have a Non-Immigrant 'ED' valid for 90 days and my husband has a Non-Immigrant 'O' valid for one year.

Are there are any variations to the usual requirements (eg. cost) when applying in Koh Samui?

Is an international drivers licence sufficient or do we need our drivers licence from our home country instead?

If using only an international drivers licence, do we need to sit written exam?

Hi it is very easy to get your licence you need to go to the transport office in Lipa Noi it is not far from Nicky beach resort however before you go you 1st must go to a doctor there is one in Nathon on the main road not far from tesco you need a letter from him saying you have a clean bill of health think it cost me 150 bht a couple of years a go but he did give me a good check up Blood pressure Pee test eye test weight test then once you have that you have to go to immigration to get a letter of address confirmation cost 500 bht you will need a photo you then go to the transport office as described and apply for your licence think you will need two signed passport photo's on top of the other items I mentioned . Take your interenational Licence as this is what I did and there was no need to go and sit the computer theory test . you will then be given your driver licence which will last for 1 year cost is a couple of hundred bht Please note that you cannot renew this licence until the day after it has expired I went 3 days before and they sent me away I went back a month later and was given a new licence I think it is good for 6 years and cost at the time 600/700 bht It is my understanding that anyone who has stayed in Thailand for over 3 months should have a Thai drivers licence if driving a motor vehicle PM me if you need any more assistance best to go in the mornings opens at around 8.30 am if you go in the afternoon they will send you away and tell you to come back If you are both applying think you will need seperate letters from immigration as well as medical letter some doctors will give you a letter withoput even seeing you but beware it should be no more than 200 bht Good luck !!!!

When I applied for my driving licence some years ago - all I had to show was passport (copy every page) and Interntional Driving Permit. No tests needed.

I have recently heard that things have changed (when do they not) and you may need to do the 'reaction' test, the perspective test and an eyesight test for peripheral vision. All simple and straight foreward.

You need the passport photos for the 'letter of residence' at the immigration office. The transport office now takes the driving licence photo I believe.

The immigration office and the transport office 'conspire' on their timings so that it is almost impossible to do everything in one trip. By the time you get your letter of residence from immigration - the driving licence girl has 'closed up'. You have to go back the next day.

If you have a current licence from an English speaking country preferably ( That's what they said ), you can use that instead of an international one.

As previously mentioned, you need

1/a doctor's certificate (different reports on that )

2/ copy of passport

3/ Not sure about photo,for renewal it's plastic with computer photo inserted. ( to be safe take one )

4/ Residence certificate from immigration, you do need a photo for that one.If you need 2 , then 2 pics.

Get there between 8.30 & 8,50 put your paperwork in. They will send you upstairs for reaction,colour, peripheral & depth perception tests.

You pass,get paperwork, go downstairs, get pic taken & you are on your way.

Note, keep an eye on the renewal date on the licence .

You can also have a look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/483569-thai-drivers-licence/page__p__4572419#entry4572419

& here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/570471-driving-license-renewal-new-policy/page__hl__+driving%20+licence#entry5494006

Just came from Immigration Sakhon Nakhon re drivers licence.

You need to fill out a "application form for residence certificate in Thailand"

Bring a photo large Same as Work Permit size and 500 Bhat. Copy of Passport and I would assume copy of visa page, entry stamp, departure card, and of course your passport.

Front page of Tambien Baan (I live with g/f so it is her house book)

I brought a copy of her I.D. and a handwritten note on the Tambien Baan copy stating that I lived with her at this address.

Then go to Ministry of Transportation......Cannot tell you more about that.

Can tell you I have been using Canadian drivers licence valid, even with accident and police involved no question, no problem.

Or an International Drivers Licence available on the internet. I was told they are only valid for three months, maybe heresay.

"Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do or die"

I got my full UK licence converted to a Thai licence one year ago in Samui. I can confirm that proof of residence is required from Nathon immigration office, for which you will require a passport photo.

The Land Transport office will process your licence application if you arrive before 9am. They are very fussy about dress codes (rightly so IMO) so best not to wear shorts and vest.

Doctors letter can be provided by any hospital or clinic on the island.

After documentation, you will be sent to the upstairs waiting room and called forward in groups depending on licence category. New applicants (learners) and conversions are all dealt with in their own groups.

Once you have completed the simple tests the instructor/assessor will sign you off and you go back to the downstairs application office where they will take your photo and issue the photo ID card. The cost for me to convert full UK car and motorcycle licence was Bt 320.

In short, get your proof of residence and doctors letter, turn up early smartly dressed with the correct paperwork, be polite and it's a doddle.

The bonus is, this photo ID is accepted in most places, often in lieu of a passport, because your passport number is included on your licence. IME Thai police will be better disposed towards you if you are stopped for a minor traffic infringement, if you produce your licence as ID. It can also get you in to national parks at Thai rates. (Mostly). It's easier to carry around than your passport for normal daily business.

You can also use it on internal flights as proof of ID instead of passport.

After the first one issued which lasts for one year, the renewal will last for five years plus the months around to your next birthday. At least mine does.

As said before, don't try to renew even one day early, they will refuse you. Go one day after expiry and you'll be OK.