The End Of An Era

tinfoilhat

Aww where can they all go to reminisce now? Maybe this thread?

Then they can be amongst like-minded company and they can all console each other when they bemoan about the degeneration of life as they knew it..

"oh..its all changed nowadays. When i was a lad, bread was sliced thicker and the hookers were cheaper, and they didnt use them pesky mobile phones. All this new fangled technology has brought the rif-raf in and you cant keep an eye on yir regular girl anymore. And these young-uns that come te bar now, just no respect fir their elders. You know, i used to go out with just a bob or two, have a beer, pay for a girl, and still come home wif change. Ahhh...them were the days alright.."

When men were men and women were Thai. Them were the days alright.smile.png

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa there! Don't knock the Oldies, of which I am not a million miles off qualifying. Just like many others, I have good pale skin with money in my pocket and I am quite capable of not having to pay for sex, either in BKK or anywhere else (if you are to exclude the normal expenses of 'running' three girlfriends and a separated wife, none of whom are Thai). So c'mon chaps, have a bit more respect for your elders.

I'm just waiting for someone to say that this is "good satire" again. Made my day yesterday......

it has been said. it remains true.

you are clearly in the minority here.

those who have understood have found it remarkably apt, those who have not, or actually resemble the caricature presented have taken offense though no specific individual was targeted.

those who have taken offense have further added to the hilarity and exposed their own unfortunate blind spots.

while i cannot be bothered to personally explain satire to you there is a definition here, which may help you along:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Satire, is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.

A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve of (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

I am sorry that you are unable to understand that humor is subjective nor grasp the object of satire in this particular case.

I defer to Dr Swift in his Verses of Death:

As with a moral View design'd

To cure the Vices of Mankind:

His vein, ironically grave,

Expos'd the Fool, and lash'd the Knave.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yet, Malice never was his Aim;

He lash'd the Vice but spar'd the Name.

No Individual could resent,

Where Thousands equally were meant.

His Satyr points at no Defect,

But what all Mortals may correct. . . .

(ll. 313-16, 459-64)

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

Is this for real? I have been here for 11 years and have never even heard of the place. Hope the guys can survive somehow.

Nobody went to the place. That's why they tore it down. The point of the thread is to bash Yanks and old folks. Get with the program will ya?

sigh

Edited by tinfoilhat

Is this for real? I have been here for 11 years and have never even heard of the place. Hope the guys can survive somehow.

Nobody went to the place. That's why they tore it down. The point of the thread is to bash Yanks and old folks. Get with the program will ya?

sigh

Ya like error was an error.biggrin.png

i defer from this circular discussion. While i am willing to admit that the intent was not necessarily constructive there is a certainly social criticism with the article and it serves a certain cautionary purpose.

more to the point it also quite clearly infers out that our fair city is changing, and those mired in the past are rapidly finding themselves without refuge.

you are willing to give no ground, i feel that you are purposely being obtuse, and anyone who reads the article in proper context would be hard pressed to take genuine offence.

Anyways, i leave you to it, one voice alone among many.

i defer from this circular discussion. While i am willing to admit that the intent was not necessarily constructive there is a certainly social criticism with the article and it serves a certain cautionary purpose.

more to the point it also quite clearly infers out that our fair city is changing, and those mired in the past are rapidly finding themselves without refuge.

you are willing to give no ground, i feel that you are purposely being obtuse, and anyone who reads the article in proper context would be hard pressed to take genuine offence.

I thought it was a good post. I was impressed. How did you get around the Fair Use rule?

I thought it was a good post. I was impressed. How did you get around the Fair Use rule?

i posted an attribution, with the full post, but then the post went through a few edits beyond my control.

i have truly enjoyed the responses

i posted an attribution, with the full post, but then the post went through a few edits beyond my control.

i have truly enjoyed the responses

In English please. If I want to post more than three sentences what do I have to do?

I was hoping the Dubliner would be spared from the sledge hammer. Does anyone know if they have relocated ? Their website says nothing about being relocated. It pisses me off a bit, as the dubliner was a nice place for a beer in the afternoon.

By the way, apart from bars that targetted foreigners, there also was a joint where hiso Thai and Japanese ladies would off young Thai men.

No doubt Washington Square will be replaced by a 50 story apartment scraper, or worse some shopping mall of which there are plenty already.

Edit: nvermind, they are relocating to Suk Soi 33/1, good one !

Edited by sjaak327

I was hoping the Dubliner would be spared from the sledge hammer. Does anyone know if they have relocated ? Their website says nothing about being relocated. It pisses me off a bit, as the dubliner was a nice place for a beer in the afternoon.

By the way, apart from bars that targetted foreigners, there also was a joint where hiso Thai and Japanese ladies would off young Thai men.

No doubt Washington Square will be replaced by a 50 story apartment scraper, or worse some shopping mall of which there are plenty already.

Edit: nvermind, they are relocating to Suk Soi 33/1, good one !

Cannot edit the post, but it seems it is going to be turned into yet another shopping mekka. A bloody shame.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1527787

“Bangkok is better equipped than any city in the world to serve old white men who are uncomfortable with the wider world,” he said. “We are world leaders in providing economically desperate Asian women and unhealthy Western food. As governor I promise that these men will be taken care of.” Well that is reassuring1

“They will live in Bangkok until they die. I promise you that much.” Not so comforting!

I agree with all the reasonings why they demolished Washington Square. All the sex tourist (cheap charley bastards) should get with the program or just move away to the Isaan area if they want to live poor and find young girls to screw. There are plenty of bar/whores up in Udon or Khon Kaen and we could really use less of "those kinda farangs" in Bkk, and Pattaya for that matter. I am Thai and I want Thailand's reputation to be more than just recognized for our pretty women, cheap sex lives, and living cost for sexpat tourist all around the world."

You do realise that most of the bars that remained in the square were normal bars ? In fact the only sleazy place I have been to was were a Thai male friend of mine worked as a hooker to predominantlyThai females ready to off a 20 year old Thai boy. I had a good laugh when his Thai girlfriend (who incidentially was a bargirl herself, with a steady income flow from abroad) after paying for the whiskey also had to barfine him so we could continue our party !

Of course you as a Thai know full well that the sex industry catering to foreigners is tiny in comparison to the sex industry catering to the locals.

Classic example of pot calling kettle black.

• Like 2

I have been here for 11 years and have never even heard of the place.

Well, it was there long before you got to Thailand. I hope you don't mean you live in BKK and didn't know about Wash. Sq., that'd be a shame.

we could really use less of "those kinda farangs" in Bkk

those kind are the ones who started Soi Cowboy. The guy in the room next to me on Soi 22 was a partner with Cowboy, the black marine who opened one of the first bars on that strip between Asoke and Soi 23.

Edited by bdw
  • Like 1

I agree with all the reasonings why they demolished Washington Square. All the sex tourist (cheap charley bastards) should get with the program or just move away to the Isaan area if they want to live poor and find young girls to screw. There are plenty of bar/whores up in Udon or Khon Kaen and we could really use less of "those kinda farangs" in Bkk, and Pattaya for that matter. I am Thai and I want Thailand's reputation to be more than just recognized for our pretty women, cheap sex lives, and living cost for sexpat tourist all around the world."

There's corruption and flooding as well.

• Like 2

A brilliant study with all the variables and demographics, progress, human nature, irony and time warps. Imagine if all immigrants here were of the taking and not giving variety, we could hold this country in the past, or we can get our heads outta our asses and help in the future and changes that our first world experiences have ingrained in us. We can think long term and invest ourselves in the country and raise a family here and cause growth and not stagnation via selfish vices.

Too bad these losers didn't focus on one good woman and respect her and love her and her way of life , they would not be lonely outcasts with a meaningless pathetic existence that only perpetuates negative dark human fodder.

I see so many good farangs here now, that are working or using their retirement to help people and the land and wildlife issues. Nurturers who seek ripe new lands, not escaping a world they can't exploit. These idiot men never grew up from selfish children. I love this country, but for the right reasons,and to see the status quo of things that are scum magnets disappearing from the map is refreshing and gives hope.

.............nope....not a clue........

• Like 1

You do realise that most of the bars that remained in the square were normal bars ? In fact the only sleazy place I have been to was were a Thai male friend of mine worked as a hooker to predominantlyThai females ready to off a 20 year old Thai boy. I had a good laugh when his Thai girlfriend (who incidentially was a bargirl herself, with a steady income flow from abroad) after paying for the whiskey also had to barfine him so we could continue our party !

Of course you as a Thai know full well that the sex industry catering to foreigners is tiny in comparison to the sex industry catering to the locals.

Classic example of pot calling kettle black.

Well said - you took the words right out of my mouth!

Just a quick drive up Ratchadaphisek gives an inkling of the size of the Thai side of the sex industry...huge multistorey places - many of them wont even allow farang to enter!

• Like 1

Just a quick drive up Ratchadaphisek gives an inkling of the size of the Thai side of the sex industry...huge multistorey places - many of them wont even allow farang to enter!

I've never heard of a Falahng being barred entry from any establishment on Rachada, but I guess it could happen if they were dressed like a pauper.

...and they assume the entire Thai population is well represented by these "female bar employees," which explains their warped perspective when posting messages on ThaiVisa.

I can sympathize with them, most that come to Thailand are short-term tourists, not long term tourists or on another type of longer term Visa. Most do not speal Thai. Most do not know squat about Thai culture, other than that Pad Thai is a staple favorite (or at least that is what they are taught).

I speak Thai, and have worked hard to understand the culture. One of the most frustrating things I come across, is when meeting a Female, particularly one which does not speak English and has a normal job, occasionally I will encounter the attitude that because my skin is white, and that I am young and have a reasonable job back home, I must be after sex. I make a point not to mention my girlfriend of 3 years to any of my friends until I know them better for several reasons, one being that a man should still have the right to be judged on his morals and actions rather than stereotypes.

Many guys I know just give up after trying to be the nice guy, and end up going back to the bars, or starting their own, or a restaurant. This is the sad reality for many good guys when they come to Thailand.

• Like 1

Perhaps we can round up these dirty old men and send them home.

Why? Many of them are vets, and have given to the country in that without the Americans Thailand would be a very different country.. most other western countries are not really interested in putting up with the games of the Thai political system, the Americans have been patient to say the least, for decades.

What makes you more eligible to be in Thailand than an older man spending his last days, and last dollars, enjoying what he does best, which is his business?

No offense intended, but every picture has a dual landscape - those behind the camera and those in front of it.

• Like 1

...and they assume the entire Thai population is well represented by these "female bar employees," which explains their warped perspective when posting messages on ThaiVisa.

I can sympathize with them, most that come to Thailand are short-term tourists, not long term tourists or on another type of longer term Visa. Most do not speal Thai. Most do not know squat about Thai culture, other than that Pad Thai is a staple favorite (or at least that is what they are taught).

I speak Thai, and have worked hard to understand the culture. One of the most frustrating things I come across, is when meeting a Female, particularly one which does not speak English and has a normal job, occasionally I will encounter the attitude that because my skin is white, and that I am young and have a reasonable job back home, I must be after sex. I make a point not to mention my girlfriend of 3 years to any of my friends until I know them better for several reasons, one being that a man should still have the right to be judged on his morals and actions rather than stereotypes.

Many guys I know just give up after trying to be the nice guy, and end up going back to the bars, or starting their own, or a restaurant. This is the sad reality for many good guys when they come to Thailand.

You take a thread like this one and it serves to reinforce the stereotype of the old sex pat tourist. And everyone laughs and has a good time mocking the silly old man in the Lone Star Saloon. Sure it is sad and unfeeling and discriminating but that is what passes for a good time in some quarters.