The End Of An Era

tinfoilhat

Been living for almost 13 years in Bangkok but never realized that there ever was such a Square. Ain't it supposed to be in the States, anyway?

Maybe, all those dudes even realize now how much off track they have been for more than a decade. Scary. blink.png

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I went there for the first time a few months ago with a client.

The place looked like absolute crap, I mean I still enjoyed myself as I can anywhere, but yeah it looked like it was about to all fall down anyways.

Anyone got pictures?

How to give people the wrong impression of you. biggrin.png

The moron who wrote this bull needs to be banned , its not even the slightest bit funny. Im sure the oil industry expats who were the most to frequent the bars, would like to talk to the author about being call balding sex tourists. The square was a great place for a lot of expats and regular visiters to drink without getting bothered by twits like the author. Business deals and jobs in the oil and construction industry were sought and made in the square over a cold one. The Thai hi so and military big wigs ate and drank at the square. So any one reading the post write it off as a piece of dribble writen by a person who has been to the square once and was most likely told to clear off because he was a idiot.

There are still 4 bars left where a good time, can be had

It is only not in the slightest bit funny if you thought that the author was serious.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I'm finding it very difficult to find this article for real. These aging sexpats need medical and mental assistance? The governor or Bangkok is going to find a new place for these "refugees" to drink? Did someone forget the SATIRE logo? This is ludicrous! huh.png

• Like 1

“They will live in Bangkok until they die. I promise you that much.”

sorry if this is inappropiate, but why these men are hanging around in Bangkok. Don't they have a home to go back to?

no family, no own place to live?

and this "And Thai women who have their own money" i just realized it is a problem???

well...a change is difficult for the elderly. one day we will reach that state i am sure... gotta learn to let go from now :(

Liked the humour in the story, but felt genuine sadness too that another old area with character is going. I stayed in Soi 22 a couple of times in late August, Standing on the fourth floor of the Regency Park looking down on the stacked junk in the old breakfast room and the view of the derelict square through the front windows, one could not help thinking that time is passing and the world is changing. A lot of people will have a lot of memories - for example I remember sitting in the B52 bar when the events of 7/11 unfolded on TV.

At the end of August a small strip of bars on the Soi 22 side of the square was still clinging to existence, with many of the regulars taking refuge in the Hare and Hounds. Denny's Corner was much as before, though I notice they don't serve much food now. The corner that had housed the Lone Staar and Silver Dollar was fenced off and partially demolished. Bourbon Street restaurant has moved to Ekamai (Suk Soi 63). I suppose there was a certain sleaziness about some of the old bars (Wild Country etc), but I wouldn't have said the two US-style bars were exactly the depths of depravity. I remember the free lunches more than the hookers! What I will say is that if any of the older guys do transfer their custom to Cowboy they will miss not being able to sit quietly free of the constant pleas for lady drinks.

Edited by citizen33

The last few times I was in Washington Square, mostly in the Lone Star, the loud accents I was hearing were Australian and British (not counting the Thai ladies accents).

The last time I was there, in March 2010, I asked if there were any Americans there and was told that there weren't any right then!

If the help agencies gave them a "Home Brew" kit each, I'm sure it would go a long way in helping them to adapt to a new way of life.

Home brew?? Do it yourself?? The excersise of going to the bar, on time, everyday, to meet your current favourate, and to associate with your mates is what is important here. It's not about drinking.

sorry mate, still not getting your point.

you are aware we are discussing satire, right?

Nice one!

Boater will be furious he missed this....even hooked in a mod for good measure....love it.

The article had me going until I saw the "not the nation" tag at the end. ermm.gif

Liked the humour in the story, but felt genuine sadness too that another old area with character is going. I stayed in Soi 22 a couple of times in late August, Standing on the fourth floor of the Regency Park looking down on the stacked junk in the old breakfast room and the view of the derelict square through the front windows, one could not help thinking that time is passing and the world is changing. A lot of people will have a lot of memories - for example I remember sitting in the B52 bar when the events of 7/11 unfolded on TV.

At the end of August a small strip of bars on the Soi 22 side of the square was still clinging to existence, with many of the regulars taking refuge in the Hare and Hounds. Denny's Corner was much as before, though I notice they don't serve much food now. The corner that had housed the Lone Staar and Silver Dollar was fenced off and partially demolished. Bourbon Street restaurant has moved to Ekamai (Suk Soi 63). I suppose there was a certain sleaziness about some of the old bars (Wild Country etc), but I wouldn't have said the two US-style bars were exactly the depths of depravity. I remember the free lunches more than the hookers! What I will say is that if any of the older guys do transfer their custom to Cowboy they will miss not being able to sit quietly free of the constant pleas for lady drinks.

Remind me again, what were those events? The introduction of the big gulp?

• Like 2

For those viewing this thread who don't know much or anything about

Washington Square here's a little read and a few photo's & the Silver

Dollar's old web link that still works.

Washington Square wasn't a dump although getting there could make

one think otherwise. I first went there in 1982 on R & R outta Saudi...

had a great time too. Hell...after a 6 pack even a cow looks like a fox

no matter where one is at, Wash Sq. was no different...and the food

was great.

During Vietnam Washington Square was there but had no bars/restaurants,

if one wanted that there was always Patpong, Pattaya (depending on

when you participated in the war) & Cowboy...and one wanted that.

Silver Dollar Bar Link... http://www.bangkokdollar.com/ ...still works as of

5 minutes ago.

Deep In The Heart Of Thailand-Texas.txt

post-146250-0-76851300-1349422148_thumb.

post-146250-0-93772500-1349422181_thumb.

post-146250-0-04323700-1349422228_thumb.

post-146250-0-01000400-1349422251_thumb.

I've been darted and released....

I know this is a joke article but has Washington Square actually finally been demolished? What of Bourbon Street? I loved that placed as it had some great Western food.

The food was the biggest reason I went to Washington Square. At least there are other places for non-Thai food. I found a Mexican restaurant the last time I was in BKK. It had real Mexican food, not the stuff they serve here in the Mexican restaurants.

If you are looking for Bourbon St Restaurant & Oyster Bar, which used to be in the back of Washington Square for 25 years, we have re-located to

Soi 63 Sukhumvit about 250 meters from the Ekamai BTS. Same great food and service

We have gone from Back Street to Main Street.

Thanks to "Not The Nation for the great humor.

post-165454-0-55834400-1349423171_thumb.

It was an eyesore but lets not throw up yet another shopping mall, hotel, office tower or high end car dealer. The area has plenty of all of this now, several unfinished buildings ie on Sukhumvit 27 have become eyesores for the skyline. What the area does need is a parking garage.

The last few times I was in Washington Square, mostly in the Lone Star, the loud accents I was hearing were Australian and British (not counting the Thai ladies accents).

The last time I was there, in March 2010, I asked if there were any Americans there and was told that there weren't any right then!

I wonder what happened to the quote that I was replying to?

Its a pity to see the Bourbon Street move to Ekamai, this causes me to not go there anymore, Soi 22 would have been a better move, sorry Doug.

The Ekamai BTS is only 5 minutes ride from the Phrompong BTS there at the Emporium and we are less than a 5 minute walk from the BTS at Ekamai. Soi 63 is a great area and business is much better. Hope to serve you soon.

“We are world leaders in providing economically desperate Asian women and unhealthy Western food. As governor I promise that these men will be taken care of.” ... says Bangkok Governor Sukhumband Paribatra.

Surely, these men should have noticed that their favorite bargirls were moving out elsewhere over the past 10 years, or these senior expats were so addled they couldn't remember what they'd heard a few hours later?

Presumably, and hopefully, the bar-girls and especially their Mamasan's aren't the same ones working there back in the 80's and earlier?! The thought of that being the case, just doesn't bear thinking about!!