Chiang Mai To Bangkok Express Derails

Nobelcat

Just getting to cell phone reception now. Our train derailed. The engine and front cars left after leaving the detailed cars. Semi-stranded (but with A/C) for over 6 hours. Transferred to new train and I think they're taking us by bus at the next station.

• Like 1

Another good reason to avoid the top bunk.

Don't like to do the "human cannonball" impression at 4-5 am in the morning!

All of this could serve as a reminder to orient yourself in the bunk so that your feet are toward the direction that the train is moving. You can cushion your quick-stop easier and safer with your feet and legs than you can with your head and neck.

• Like 2

man i took the green bus few weeks ago and days later it hits-kills in a head on----and was on the sprinter--more like limper--from bkk to cm friday morning--14 hrs in that icebox--about to go crazy..

so once again seems like a script for final destination 6--"thai payback" coming to central movie soon!

or maybe a revamp of planes/train/automobiles----wheres ur hand--between 2 pilows--those arent pillows!!!.............well at least they have beer-vodka-food on the train...beats udon thani busted buses

Another good reason to avoid the top bunk.

Don't like to do the "human cannonball" impression at 4-5 am in the morning!

All of this could serve as a reminder to orient yourself in the bunk so that your feet are toward the direction that the train is moving. You can cushion your quick-stop easier and safer with your feet and legs than you can with your head and neck.

No worries, next time I'll stay super safe - I'll be the one sleeping with a crash helmet on.

• Like 1

Anybody know if the line is open and trains running as scheduled? Got friends due on tomorrow morning's BKK-CM train.

The State Railways of Thailand website is sadly lacking in useful information.

CMMCB

I assume the line is open. Last time when the line washed away, it was open 2 days later.

So yes, I ended up flying back. Cost me a lot, but was a nice quick trip. I still somewhat prefer the train, as long as you get to go from point A to point B all on the train. The bus was nice, but I don't think busses are safe as a general rule.

continue to fly guys....fastest and safest....unfortunately I give the Vietnam trains top marks compared to Thai ones....anyone that has travel between Hanoi - Sapa would know that should be what sleeper bunks look like !

many go for cruise, i chose rails. im a sucker for trains, the hanoi-sapa is a very nice and affordable experience, the only down side is the berth. the berth is laid across the cabin instead of along the cabin

i would be celebrating this coming chinese new year week in oriental express train from bkk to sg. this is my 3rd time now, still getting really excited on thisclap2.gif

Sound logic, but remember to switch when they start shunting cars at 2am! smile.png

And still they talk of building a High Speed Railway. Dream on.

I hope a farang company builds the railroad. smile.png

I would hope a Japanese company builds it. They seem to know how to do it right.

Not so hot on nuclear power stations, but. whistling.gif

• 9 months later...

And still they talk of building a High Speed Railway. Dream on.

I hope a farang company builds the railroad. smile.png

I would hope a Japanese company builds it. They seem to know how to do it right.

David

Okay, build it but who is going to maintain it? yeh right so forget it

Anybody know if the line is open and trains running as scheduled? Got friends due on tomorrow morning's BKK-CM train.

The State Railways of Thailand website is sadly lacking in useful information.

CMMCB

I assume the line is open. Last time when the line washed away, it was open 2 days later.

So yes, I ended up flying back. Cost me a lot, but was a nice quick trip. I still somewhat prefer the train, as long as you get to go from point A to point B all on the train. The bus was nice, but I don't think busses are safe as a general rule.

Just this morning I was talking with a friend about the wife and I making a train trip to Bangkok. Me just for the experience her because she follows me.

Thought it would be a great experience the train ride and playing tourist in Bangkok.

Is this the second derailment in the last year. I know there was a bridge wash out.

Looking like I might reconsider the train ride.

I would presume the Government has figured it out by now that there is maintenance work needing being done on the line. Or am I giving them to much credit?