Drunk Driving Crackdown In Force

khwaibah

In the part of Canada that I grew up,drunk driving was a sport until the police started a campaign to reduce the number of deaths and accidents caused by impaired drivers. It took time to change the status quo but it worked. Consistency and hitting hard where it hurts - the pocket- and lenghty suspensions paid off with impressive statics.

Now they have taken another step - the legal limit has been lowered ,is like having one-beer and you blow over......this in turn has devastated the bar/lounge business. Oh,well, who ever said Canada was a fun place anyways - Now Get Back To Work!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in Alberta the gov. has gotten out of retail booze business and into wholesale tax business, liquor stores are privatized and offer an outstanding array of exotic beverage at near reasonable prices (at least for wine).... in some ways Canada is like Cuba and without a booze shop selling piss water beer with a gun store down the street and maybe a crack dealer in between certainly is not in the same League as the good ol' U.S of A, eh!

Not having any experience in the matter How much public transportation is there after midnight?

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

If we find that the checkpoints are consistently within the town area then it may be feasible to park just out of town and get a tuk tuk there. That's a lot more feasible than getting a tuk tuk all the way to Hang Dong, Mae Rim or Doi Saket. (Not to mention safer. rolleyes.gif)

Also looking into social sites that show checkpoint information.

So the procedure would be:

1. Park far enough from center so you are unlikely to run into a checkpoint.

2. Take a tuk-tuk to your favorite watering hole.

3. Get drunk.

4. Take tuk-tuk back to where you parked your car or motorbike.

5. Find your car or motorbike stolen, wrecked, clamped or in some other way inoperable.

6. Take tuk-tuk back to guesthouse near your favorite after hours watering hole.

7. Get more drunk.

8. Pass out in the guesthouse and figure it out in the morning.

Seems complicated. Why not just plan on spending the night in a conveniently chosen guesthouse if you want to get drunk? Or find a designated driver (where are those Mormons when you need them?).

Seems complicated. Why not just plan on spending the night in a conveniently chosen guesthouse if you want to get drunk? Or find a designated driver (where are those Mormons when you need them?).

We got Muslims. They're kind of like a poor man's Mormon.

I watched them pull over drunks the other night in front of Starbucks by the gate. They got a farang, who in turn called his friend to come assist him, who they also got for being drunk. It was great.

Anyway getting caught at either Thapae Gate or Nawarat Bridge deserves it. There are checkpoints there just about every other night. Also remarkably popular these days: Canal Road, South of town near the Suthep Subdistrict Office.

The Hang Dong road is actually pretty hard to have a checkpoint because it's straight so you can see it miles ahead. Plus there are a lot of stores and food shops on it making for a plausible excuse to stop and park ahead of any checkpoint.

I'm now finding lots of other points that would be really suitable for a checkpoint, where you can't see around a corner or over a bridge, nowhere to stop or turn, and wide enough to line up caught driver's cars on the side.

Much funner to get drunk and take a taxi, tuk tuk, songtaew

But sometimes 1 beer turns into 12 and you get caught off guard.

I cant stand people who hate people who drink alcohol, they're annoying and usually bitchy people to begin with, divorce material written all over them.

Now where did i put my beer ? ... hiccup *

• Like 1

How many Thai's have 60,000.00 baht? How many scooters will they pull over? Only the rich drive cars? They pull you over for not wearing a helmet but never ask to see a licence ?It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

I know of one police capitain who was pulled over and charged with DUI following a party at a hotel that is near and dear to my heart, he recieved a fine of 9,500 baht and that was all.

I heard of a foreigner (friend of a friend - really) who was approached by police after he got into his car to drive home. They were watching him after he left the bar. Only just over the limit, so a night in the slammer & 9,500 bt fine.

How many Thai's have 60,000.00 baht? How many scooters will they pull over? Only the rich drive cars? They pull you over for not wearing a helmet but never ask to see a licence ?It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

Fun to see car drivers saying they are targeted. While driving my car i am never stopped or fined, unlike on the bike. Bikes are far more targeted as cars.

Keep in mind 0.05% is low, two or three drinks could get you to that level. You may not feel drunk, but if their meter says you're over the limit....

.08 is the lowest in the states. Some of them have a .1 Personally I feel .05 is just a money grab. On the other hand if it will keep drinking drivers of the road more power to it.05 is not dunk.

.05 in Australia (most states anyway) and I think the same in UK. I have a real thing about drink driving; either drink or drive, don't do both. My mother always told us if she smelled alcohol on us when we got home she would phone the police and tell them to look out for us every time we went out, and although I thought it was a bit harsh at the time, middle age has proven she was right (again). I'm very firmly of the opinion that if you drink drive and you kill yourself, fair enough but what about the innocent pedestrians or other road users others you take with you?

• Like 1

im all against those piss drunk drivers but i usually end my dinner with a pint. would that get me to 0.05%?

Probably not. Depends on many factors though, especially your weight and the time that passes before you go home.

This is useful. It's only a very rough indication, so no substitute for doing the sensible thing and avoid checkpoints.

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

Just got in--was at tae pae gate-starbucks and they were set up in full force---i was on foot and came back around 11pm--they had a few cars pulled over as well as mbikes--some bikes looked like they were heading to the impound--a few thais--guy and girl doing the breath test--looked like a few might be going to the pokey----seemed to be random pullovers--luck of the draw for the drunks

--even had the alleys blocked off for those that spotted them ahead and tried to make a break 4 it

seemed a little "showy" its TP gate and i can think of many other more popular watering holes if they wanna catch drunkies---just appeared they were putting on a little show for all the tourists--

"oh look honey CMs finest" always thinking of us and have our best interest at hand--kudos boys!

Just got in--was at tae pae gate-starbucks and they were set up in full force---i was on foot and came back around 11pm--they had a few cars pulled over as well as mbikes--some bikes looked like they were heading to the impound--a few thais--guy and girl doing the breath test--looked like a few might be going to the pokey----seemed to be random pullovers--luck of the draw for the drunks

--even had the alleys blocked off for those that spotted them ahead and tried to make a break 4 it

seemed a little "showy" its TP gate and i can think of many other more popular watering holes if they wanna catch drunkies---just appeared they were putting on a little show for all the tourists--

"oh look honey CMs finest" always thinking of us and have our best interest at hand--kudos boys!

No it's not a show for the tourists.. there was a roadblock on 'mair le dek' road last night where there are a load of Thai style kareokes and yes they have a trap for those who spot the flashing lights and try to avoid the roadblock.. was told the fines paid 20K Baht !

• Like 1

The westernisation/modernisation of thailand continues at pace here in thailand. Soon we'll be just like america or a european country with load of rules regulations and laws and having them enforced. Why, we might even go the way of the UK and have cctv on all street corners. Next will be speed limits where you have to watch your speedo more than the road in order to avoid getting hefty fines.

It's really depressing watching this country import all these western ways of life, they always pick the wrong ones.

I grew up in england when drink driving became a big issue. There was never any distinction made in discussions or attitudes between drink driving and drunk driving. The same is now happening here.

Look, if society wants to sell booze then it had better accept the price of the citizens' behaviour. Booze is a real bad drug when all things are considered, and causes much much more harm in the homes away from the streets where domestic violence is routine. Not to mention all the ramifications for family life.

But that then impinges on single peeople's lives.

It's a complicated subject, and if society wants no drink drivers or drunk drivers, get rid of booze. If you keep booze, then be prepared to accept all kinds of negative outcomes in the society. Booze is the worst drug of the lot in terms of the price society has to pay. It's deeply ironical that booze is the legal drug of choice while grass is illegal.

As for the police setting up roadblocks, it's all a game. A game played by the politicians, the moral guardians of the media, the police (who get all the money, they're probably the winners) and the citizens who lose out big time. As always.

Nice agrument but you don't have to accept people using alcohol in traffic. People can drink all they want and have a designated driver or take a taxi. You don't have to ban alcohol, its perfectly ok to drink. Just don't drink and drive.

Seems many expats come here and seem to forget about the dangers or drinking and driving. This just shows its not that we are morally better or better educated then the Thais (at least not those expats) but it all comes down to enforcement.

I for one am happy that they crack down on drinking and driving. They are a danger.

As for the point that there is a difference between driving drunk and drinking and driving. I agree there but as with every limit people will complain about it. If they double the limit then people close to that limit will say but officer i am just a little bit over the limit. That will never change.

Nice agrument but you don't have to accept people using alcohol in traffic. People can drink all they want and have a designated driver or take a taxi. You don't have to ban alcohol, its perfectly ok to drink. Just don't drink and drive.

do you trust tuktuk and taxi drivers to be sober at midnight? i don't.

• Like 1

Then don't drink, just because they might be drunk does not mean you have to be too. God how hard is it not to drink and drive.

I have drunk a lot of alcohol even did drugs and all sort of things and i believe people should be free to do such things. I just don't believe you should enter traffic while under the influence.

Its really not that hard to not drink and drive, some might not like it because it cost money. Taxi or sleeping it off in a cheap hotel (plenty around). Just because it makes it a bit harder to drink does not mean your excused to drink and drive because its easier on you.

• Like 1

Then don't drink, just because they might be drunk does not mean you have to be too. God how hard is it not to drink and drive.

I have drunk a lot of alcohol even did drugs and all sort of things and i believe people should be free to do such things. I just don't believe you should enter traffic while under the influence.

Its really not that hard to not drink and drive, some might not like it because it cost money. Taxi or sleeping it off in a cheap hotel (plenty around). Just because it makes it a bit harder to drink does not mean your excused to drink and drive because its easier on you.

If drunk drivers are scum of the earth, I can't imagine what you think of people who fall asleep at the wheel.

• Like 2

Believe it or not, there are some sober and responsible tut-tuk and taxi drivers. But even if you can't find one of these, at least the driver will be the one charged at the checkpoint, not the passenger. Also, you're probably safer as a passenger in a taxi with a drunk driver than riding a motorbike drunk.

Believe it or not, there are some sober and responsible tut-tuk and taxi drivers. But even if you can't find one of these, at least the driver will be the one charged at the checkpoint, not the passenger. Also, you're probably safer as a passenger in a taxi with a drunk driver than riding a motorbike drunk.

Depends on how you define "drunk".