Pet Collars

connda

I'm having a very difficult time finding dog collars for my two 5 month old puppies. Like so many things in Thailand, virtually everything is cheaply made and the selection is minimal. The collars I've found are either too big or too small in both length and width. Added to that, virtually all the collars I've found are sealed in plastic and cardboard display packages so there is not way to take them out and measure them. I've bought three collars now and none of them fit. I'm getty tired of trying to guess the size of a package collar only to buy it, take it home, open it and find it's doesn't fit. In the US I could go into almost any pet store and find a wide selection of unwrapped collars which made it easy to find the correct size.

I've tried the "big box stores" like Big C and Tesco, and I've tried three pet stores but without success.

Does anyone know where I can find a good selection of quality dog collars?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by connda

Really it's hit and miss but if you keep trying different pet shops eventually you will find ones that are not plastic wrapped. We had the same problem at one time and just kept being diligent until we found some that were not packaged and could try them. If you were to go back to that same shop we went to, chances are they would only have packaged ones now.biggrin.png

I would disagree on one thing though, when you say the selection is minimal. Pets and pet supplies are a HUGE industry here and there is actually a very good selection. You won't find much in Big C and Tesco though. Maybe try the high-end pet shop in Airport Plaza next time you are there. It's only accessible from the underground parking lot and I believe it is on the ground floor. They have a good selection. Good luck.

No dog now, but when I did I used to get a leatherworker to make one up. Had a big dog so something strong, ta bit thicker, smooth for the dog with a wide band was easier to have made up (and much cheaper in long run as lasted forever). Laugh away but when he was smaller used to get untreated leather belts (girls size) and just have them cut down. Hit the markets they will make them up no problems, plus you can take the dog for a sizing. That's what I did at the weekend market near Prince's college..

Nylon strap (your choice of color,) a D-ring from a hardware store, a Fast-tex buckle from a camping shop, and needle and thread. Shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes to make exactly the size you need. I made mine from leather, but that takes a different needle that's harder to find in Chiang Mai. If you've already bought several collars, you have all the necessary hardware already. All you need is the nylon strap.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nylon strap (your choice of color,) a D-ring from a hardware store, a Fast-tex buckle from a camping shop, and needle and thread. Shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes to make exactly the size you need. I made mine from leather, but that takes a different needle that's harder to find in Chiang Mai. If you've already bought several collars, you have all the necessary hardware already. All you need is the nylon strap.

You're a genius! I like it. When in doubt -- improvise. Thanks!

I have 3 dogs and in my experience they always give the size in inches on the package .So its a mystery to me what the OP problem is .

Can i spell it out to him .First you have to measure your dogs neck ,or am i missing something ?

What's impossible to find here are the breakaway cat collars. I've bought some that looked like they were breakaway collars, but once I got home and opened the package, I found they just looked like breakaway collars, but really weren't.

For a while, I made my own cat collars, using the technique mentioned above, except with elastic bought at Wararot and an ID tag engraved from a stall at Central Airport Plaza. Then the cat figured out how to get off. Fortunately, he always picked it up and brought it to me, but it was obviously not a good long-term plan for a collar.

Finally, I ended up buying collars from Pets.com in the U.S. and paying a small fortune in shipping. The collar style I like has the cat's name and my phone number sewed into the collar.

Fortunately, the cat hasn't figured out how to remove the collar, although it does "break away" when we try to drag him out of our closet -- a favorite hiding place.

What's impossible to find here are the breakaway cat collars. I've bought some that looked like they were breakaway collars, but once I got home and opened the package, I found they just looked like breakaway collars, but really weren't.

For a while, I made my own cat collars, using the technique mentioned above, except with elastic bought at Wararot and an ID tag engraved from a stall at Central Airport Plaza. Then the cat figured out how to get off. Fortunately, he always picked it up and brought it to me, but it was obviously not a good long-term plan for a collar.

Should the need arise again, and you don't want to order from the States, make the break-away collar using a rubber O-ring instead of elastic. Less stretch to them. For my cat, I use an O-ring made for SCUBA air tanks. The size is just right, but I cut a few very small notches in the rubber to make it just a bit less strong. I want it to break BEFORE the cat hangs herself, rather than after. You can find all different sizes of O-rings in almost any good hardware or automotive supple store.

Coincidentally, my cat wandered in this afternoon without her collar... This one lasted about three years. Fortunately, I have a nylon one in the house that I can cannibalize for parts, and plenty of soft leather for the strap.

I gave up looking for decent quality collars that were well made and would last. Most of the stuff is cheap Chinese made junk.

The last thing I need is a collar that breaks or the D-ring is not welded shut.

I ordered from the States from a lady named Heather and her website is http://restowe.com.

All her collars and leashes are made by hand, with proper buckles, d-rings and even magnets in the end of the floppy bit to keep it neat. Plenty of sizes and choice of patterns. Fast delivery and really well packaged.

I gave up looking for decent quality collars that were well made and would last. Most of the stuff is cheap Chinese made junk.

I ordered from the States from a lady named Heather and her website is http://restowe.com.

All her collars and leashes are made by hand, with proper buckles, d-rings and even magnets in the end of the floppy bit to keep it neat. Plenty of sizes and choice of patterns. Fast delivery and really well packaged.

Interesting... they say they care about animals on that site, sell cat collars, but there isn't a single break-away collar among them! What kind of 'care' is that? No one in their right mind would put a non break-away collar on a cat... I'm happy that they thought enough to add magnets stop the floppy bits. It would be nice if they thought enough to stop the choking bit... I guess floppy takes presidence over deadly.

Interesting... they say they care about animals on that site, sell cat collars, but there isn't a single break-away collar among them! What kind of 'care' is that? No one in their right mind would put a non break-away collar on a cat... I'm happy that they thought enough to add magnets stop the floppy bits. It would be nice if they thought enough to stop the choking bit... I guess floppy takes presidence over deadly.

Well, while we're being judgemental -- didn't you say something about your cat coming home without her collar, Folk Guitar? Who in their "right mind" would let a beloved family cat roam around outdoors? What kind of 'care' is that? Our cats have always been house cats, and the only time they went outdoors was into a fenced courtyard with a really high wall and discouragement on the top of the wall. Hubby and I have owned just six cats in over 35 years of marriage. Every cat has lived beyond age 20 and only one "got away" purely because we'd moved to a new home and the cat discovered the "cat proof" gate in the atrium wasn't really cat proof. He was gone for over a week.

Fortunately, he had the good sense to go over to the club house at the ajoining golf course where he ran up a huge bill in lobster, minced steak, and (his personal fav, according to the staff) baked potatoes with sour cream and butter. (I guess there were some disadvantages to having our name and address on his tag!) We discovered where he was living when we got our club bill for the month.

Edited by NancyL

Well, while we're being judgemental -- didn't you say something about your cat coming home without her collar, Folk Guitar? Who in their "right mind" would let a beloved family cat roam around outdoors?

Certainly not me. smile.png

Our cat has never been allowed to wander 'outside' freely. The furthest she gets is the veranda, which we screened in so she can't wander away and get hurt. We put a climbing tree out there, so she can play around, climb to her 'vacation home' on one of the higher branches, and lay out sleeping in the sun safe from cars, snakes, and soi dogs! What I said was "Coincidentally, my cat wandered in this afternoon without her collar..." Perhaps I should have said my cat wandered 'into the living room' this afternoon without her collar...She lost her collar somewhere inside the house... I made a new one for her last night. But no name and address plate. Only a telephone number on it. We can't afford a big clubhouse bill.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Well, while we're being judgemental -- didn't you say something about your cat coming home without her collar, Folk Guitar? Who in their "right mind" would let a beloved family cat roam around outdoors?

Our cat has never been allowed to wander 'outside' freely. The furthest she gets is the veranda, which we screened in so she can't wander away and get hurt. We put a climbing tree out there, so she can play around, climb to her 'vacation home' on one of the higher branches, and lay out sleeping in the sun safe from cars, snakes, and soi dogs! What I said was "Coincidentally, my cat wandered in this afternoon without her collar..." Perhaps I should have said my cat wandered 'into the living room' this afternoon without her collar...She lost her collar somewhere inside the house... I made a new one for her last night. But no name and address plate. Only a telephone number on it. We can't afford a big clubhouse bill.

Sorry to have jumpted to conclusions, Folkguitar. Sounds like you've constructed a nice outdoor paradise for your kitty. I guess we're lucky that our cat always brings the collar to us when he gets it off. He's one of those rare cats who likes to play fetch.

Edited by NancyL

Sorry to have jumpted to conclusions, Folkguitar. Sounds like you've constructed a nice outdoor paradise for your kitty. I guess we're lucky that our cat always brings the collar to us when he gets it off. He's one of those rare cats who likes to play fetch.

Not a problem, Nancy. Jumping to erroneous conclusions is the norm in ThaiVisa. :)

Yes, we took part of a tree trunk, about 6" in diameter and 5' tall, with two thick branches, cut the branches off about 1'-2' from the trunk, and screwed a plywood square to the top of the trunk where we put a semi-covered kitty bed. She hangs out laying on the branches almost as much as she sleeps in the bed on top. It all depends on the position of the sun... She wants to be right in it! Between that, and sleeping the 2' square of growing grass in a plastic tray below it, she's about as outdoors as an indoor cat can get!