Which Visa ?

For the last eight years, i have been going to Thailand on a Non Immigrant O visa (15 mths) however, over the years the visa runs have cost me a lot of money. I will be returning in nov and am wondering , apart from the visa runs, would i be better off to get a retirement visa.

If you are over 50 and can meet the financial requirements of 800K baht in the bank or 65K baht income or a combination of the 2 you can get an extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you already have a non immigrant visa you can do the extension at immigration during the last 30 days of any entry as long as you have had the money the bank for 60 days.

Edited by ubonjoe

So your yearly expense will be 1,900 baht for TM.7 one year extension of stay plus proof of financials cost plus mail or visit every 90 days for address reporting. Should cheaper that border crossings but not a great deal less for some. And if you plan travel remember you must have re-entry permit for return at 1,000 baht each or 3,800 baht for year. And this will be every year - not every 15 months as multi entry non immigrant O allows.

If you are over 50 and can meet the financial requirements of 800K baht in the bank or 65K baht income or a combination of the 2 you can get an extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you already have a non immigrant visa you can do the extension at immigration during the last 30 days of any entry as long as you have had the money the bank for 60 days.

That's good to know. So if I get a non-imm visa from outside Thailand I can extend it every year by meeting the above requirements? Simple!

That's good to know. So if I get a non-imm visa from outside Thailand I can extend it every year by meeting the above requirements? Simple!

Yes, and this visa gives one a staying time of 15 months.

Yes, and this visa gives one a staying time of 15 months.

The discussion is about extensions of stay not visa's.

You can get 15 months out of a multiple entry visa. Extensions are done one year at a time from current permit to stay date.

If the OP does not have a valid multiple entry visa he should only get a single entry this time.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 2 weeks later...

A re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht for the one trip so that and 1,900 baht fee for one year extension of stay plus financial paperwork and 90 day address report if doing one year extensions of stay. If using visa 5,000 baht for visa plus 90 day trips out/return/visa for other country if not Malaysia. About the only group that normally would find visa better are those working outside Thailand so have to travel often, or those that want to travel often.