Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 6:14 AM, onthemoon said:

That's where the pink ID card comes in, about which this thread is anyway.

Hi Y'all...BTW...140 pink cards issued in Sattahip as of 16 Nov 2016! Go for it!! OMG...What have I started! Ha Ha...

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2012 at 5:57 PM, chiang mai said:

A 5 year Thai drivers license serves the same purpose.

I checked in at a hotel two weeks ago. In front of me i the line was a foreigner who tried to check in with his Thai driver's  licence. They said they are not allowed to accept this any more, and he had to find a copy of his passport. 

No problems with my pink ID card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

I checked in at a hotel two weeks ago. In front of me i the line was a foreigner who tried to check in with his Thai driver's  licence. They said they are not allowed to accept this any more, and he had to find a copy of his passport. 

No problems with my pink ID card.

A drivers license certainly does not have all the info needed for a hotel to report a foreigners presence. Also an example of what can happen if you travel around the country without your passport.

I think they considered you to have a different status in the country than the person with just a drivers license when you showed your pink ID card.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A drivers license certainly does not have all the info needed for a hotel to report a foreigners presence. Also an example of what can happen if you travel around the country without your passport.

I think they considered you to have a different status in the country than the person with just a drivers license when you showed your pink ID card.

With all due respect I think you are wrong and the above is the first report we have seen stating the Thai DL is no longer acceptable on its own.

14 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

With all due respect I think you are wrong and the above is the first report we have seen stating the Thai DL is no longer acceptable on its own.

The only thing on a drivers license is your passport number. Nothing about your TM6 departure card number, permit to stay and etc is on it. I was just stating that fact.

Why not show your passport instead of it if asked for it?

Not sure if is the first report of it or not. But I suspect many people have been told they need their passport.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only thing on a drivers license is your passport number. Nothing about your TM6 departure card number, permit to stay and etc is on it. I was just stating that fact.

Why not show your passport instead of it if asked for it?

Not sure if is the first report of it or not. But I suspect many people have been told they need their passport.

Because it's asinine to carry a passport on the person 24/7 and that is not what is intended. Please point me to the law that states foreigners are required to..... Oh wait, we've been there before on this point several times and there isn't one.

Far too much "I think" and far too much "not sure" in this thread for it to be useful, above and beyond what is already understood.

4 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Because it's asinine to carry a passport on the person 24/7 and that is not what is intended. Please point me to the law that states foreigners are required to..... Oh wait, we've been there before on this point several times and there isn't one.

Nobody has said you have to carry your passport 24/7.

There may not be a specific clause or paragraph in the immigration act and other ones that states you have to have it with you but there is certainly enough to imply it is needed if asked for it by an authority.

I certainly would not want to be detained until I could produce it if I was on the other side of the country from where it is at. There have been reports of this happening.

I keep mine near me out of habit after traveling in, working and living in many countries around the world not just here.

And I also keep mine accesible, within 24 hours notice or similar.

Meanwhile, back on topic: I checked into a Best Western in Bangkok about three weeks ago, using my Thai drivers license only, the week before I had visited my visa agent in CM to record my first ever TM30. The following day I left for the UK and on the day of return I visited CM Immigration and requested my TM30 address be reset to my home address (as set by the agent the week before), from the Best Western Hotel in Bangkok and this was done.

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

Interesting. So this particular hotel perhaps did not include you in its TM.30 notification, which would have required passport number and expiration date of your permission to stay.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

My Thai ID number was keyed into their system, which is a perfectly valid government ID in Thailand.  I don't have an expiration of permission to stay, and I understand I don't even need to have a passport if I don't intend to leave the country. That's very different from showing a driver's licence.

6 hours ago, onthemoon said:

My Thai ID number was keyed into their system, which is a perfectly valid government ID in Thailand.  I don't have an expiration of permission to stay, and I understand I don't even need to have a passport if I don't intend to leave the country. That's very different from showing a driver's licence.

Depends on the driving license.Life time driving licenses - sadly I don't have one and they haven't been issued for years - shows home address on the back and ID number (same as tabien baan entry I think) on front.

So far hotels have accepted my limited DL But it's useful to know this is no longer guaranteed.It's no hardship however to take passport when travelling and I tend to anyway.I don't bother in Bangkok because it can be retrieved quickly.

The pink id card may be finding greater acceptance but still not 100% reliable.Best to have passport in pocket.

As this is the thread pink ID cards for people with PR.
A Thai driving licence of somebody with a PR should show his Thai ID number 8.... Mine do.

If thats the case showing a Thai licence with a number that starts with an 8... would show up in the system as being a PR.

And a PR does not have to do TM30 does he if he does not leave his registered address for more then 15 days.

Or so it says in the back of the red ID book.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854214-tm30-for-pr-holders/

So maybe thats why no TM 30 report was made.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• 1 month later...

Just a note on the Pink ID card for ID when flying domestic -

a couple of weeks ago I was flying back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on Thai Airways, and the TG check in lady would not accept my pink ID card as a form of ID - saying that it was only valid for travel if you got some kind of endorsement from the immigration dept! 

I had used it to fly Bangkok > Chiang Mai without any problem. 

However she did accept my Thai driving licence as ID! 

At the other check points at the airport - going into airside, and when going through the gate to the plane, they did accept the pink card ... just to warn people. 

On 12/23/2016 at 9:33 AM, Haddo said:

Just a note on the Pink ID card for ID when flying domestic -

a couple of weeks ago I was flying back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on Thai Airways, and the TG check in lady would not accept my pink ID card as a form of ID - saying that it was only valid for travel if you got some kind of endorsement from the immigration dept! 

I had used it to fly Bangkok > Chiang Mai without any problem. 

However she did accept my Thai driving licence as ID! 

At the other check points at the airport - going into airside, and when going through the gate to the plane, they did accept the pink card ... just to warn people. 

You should have reported that lady to her supervisor right away. TG check-in staff should be trained better, I would caused her supervisor to answer for that. The supervisor is somewhere near at any time - wouldn't have cost you more than a few minutes.

You should have reported that lady to her supervisor right away. TG check-in staff should be trained better, I would caused her supervisor to answer for that. The supervisor is somewhere near at any time - wouldn't have cost you more than a few minutes.

Oh yeah sure.I suggest the more rational explanation is that the pink ID card isn't widely accepted or understood.Over time perhaps - and I have one myself - it may become so.In the meantime carry your passport or driving license.Don't be a prick and rant at some poor functionary or her supervisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, jayboy said:

to be able to recognize 
Oh yeah sure.I suggest the more rational explanation is that the pink ID card isn't widely accepted or understood.Over time perhaps - and I have one myself - it may become so.In the meantime carry your passport or driving license.Don't be a prick and rant at some poor functionary or her supervisor.

Got to agree. After getting another phone I went the True shop to change my sim to a nano version. First thing the young lady (who spoke excellent English) asked for was my Passport, which I hadn't got with me (never carry it). I offered her my pink ID  card instead and, from the confused look on her face, it was obvious she'd never seen one before. She didn't refuse it but continued to (slowly) process my new sim, while commenting that I'd used my Passport when I registered the sim a few years ago. I didn't, I'd actually used my Thai driving licence so I got that out and pointed to my passport number on it. Big smile came on her face and she completed everything quickly.  And yes, she'd heard about pink ID cards, just never seen one before. Maybe these staff need better training to recognize all ID options they can be offered.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jayboy said:

You are not making it more known if you keep the info to yourself. And yes, the rant at the supervisor is justified.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chiang Rai airport just now - Thai Smile check in staff accepted the pink ID card, but going through security they wouldn't accept either my pink ID card or my Thai Driving licence - and I hadn't got my main passport with me as it is in Bangkok getting a visa - but fortunately I'd got a second (unused) passport which they did accept. With the pink card, they read the back, and quote that its not accepted outside it's province of issue.....

On 12/25/2016 at 0:46 PM, jayboy said:

Quite right.Ranting by a foreigner at a Thai works so well.

Ranting was the wrong word, not actually what I meant and what I did in the past. But obviously, some Thai people don't know even though they should, according to their job description, we need to advise them and their superiors in an appropriate form.

1 hour ago, Haddo said:

Chiang Rai airport just now - Thai Smile check in staff accepted the pink ID card, but going through security they wouldn't accept either my pink ID card or my Thai Driving licence - and I hadn't got my main passport with me as it is in Bangkok getting a visa - but fortunately I'd got a second (unused) passport which they did accept. With the pink card, they read the back, and quote that its not accepted outside it's province of issue.....

Have you also asked to talk to their superior? If security does not accept a perfectly valid ID card (the drivers licence is not a valid ID), there is certainly something wrong. And he should not have accepted a passport without valid Thai visa, so this "security staff" is a security risk. He does not know his job, we need to help him in order to keep our flights safe. 

Edited by onthemoon

Have you also asked to talk to their superior? If security does not accept a perfectly valid ID card (the drivers licence is not a valid ID), there is certainly something wrong. And he should not have accepted a passport without valid Thai visa, so this "security staff" is a security risk. He does not know his job, we need to help him in order to keep our flights safe. 

Makes sense.When checking in at the airport,calling for a discussion with the employee's superior and complaining about the security risk in the context of some barely known pink card is just the thing to engender an enjoyable discussion and speed matters up.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 8:41 AM, sumrit said:

Got to agree. After getting another phone I went the True shop to change my sim to a nano version. First thing the young lady (who spoke excellent English) asked for was my Passport, which I hadn't got with me (never carry it). I offered her my pink ID  card instead and, from the confused look on her face, it was obvious she'd never seen one before. She didn't refuse it but continued to (slowly) process my new sim, while commenting that I'd used my Passport when I registered the sim a few years ago. I didn't, I'd actually used my Thai driving licence so I got that out and pointed to my passport number on it. Big smile came on her face and she completed everything quickly.  And yes, she'd heard about pink ID cards, just never seen one before. Maybe these staff need better training to recognize all ID options they can be offered.

It is not about what they are offered, it is about what they ask for, she asked for your passport, and any normal person would have provided it, but you seem to feel the need to be "Thai" and would only offer an ID card or DL. You were at fault, not her.

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

It is not about what they are offered, it is about what they ask for, she asked for your passport, and any normal person would have provided it, but you seem to feel the need to be "Thai" and would only offer an ID card or DL. You were at fault, not her.

This thread is about ID cards held by Permanent Residents. My passport has no TM6 attached and no entry stamps for Thailand and as such just causes more confusion if used as ID in Thailand.

The AIS officer asked for a passport because that is the ID they expect a foreigner is likely to have. When they are wrong (as in this case) they will happily accept the Thai ID card.

In fact AIS (probably all operators) have some level of access to the DOPA registration system and are able to verify the identity of the cardholder from the ID number. Therefore, in this case, it is a far superior form of ID than a foreign passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

This thread is about ID cards held by Permanent Residents. My passport has no TM6 attached and no entry stamps for Thailand and as such just causes more confusion if used as ID in Thailand.

The AIS officer asked for a passport because that is the ID they expect a foreigner is likely to have. When they are wrong (as in this case) they will happily accept the Thai ID card.

In fact AIS (probably all operators) have some level of access to the DOPA registration system and are able to verify the identity of the cardholder from the ID number. Therefore, in this case, it is a far superior form of ID than a foreign passport.

They want to see your photo and make a note of your passport number, do not confuse mobile service providers with Immigration.

2 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

They want to see your photo and make a note of your passport number, do not confuse mobile service providers with Immigration.

When I am dealing with commercial entities I provide the ID that suits me not necessarily what suits them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muzmurray said:

I have lived in Thailand for nearly fourteen years and, like most of us who've been here for quite a while, I never carry my passport. I have always used my Thai DL for ID during that time, until I got my ID  Card, and that has always been acceptable. I have had also the same True sim number for all of that time. When I first got it there was no registration requirement for any sim. About three years or so ago registering your sim became necessary and , like everybody else, received a message to inform me of that. I went to the True shop where, initially, they asked for my Passport but when I said it was at home were happy to accept my DL as ID. They didn't insist on me getting my passport. 

The shop staff only need to see (and copy) acceptable ID but ask for the passport as a first option because that's the way they've been trained when dealing with foreigners. The girl that served me said she was fully aware of the pink ID Card, she was only hesitant because she'd never seen one before and hadn't been shown an example by her Employers.

As for 'feeling the need to be Thai' Thai nationals always use their ID Card and Tabien Baan for ID. The Government appear to be slowly encouraging 'long term expats' to apply for their own (yellow) Tabien Baan and (Pink) ID Card. If using those eventually brings continuity to the system for proving ID that shop/bank/etc staff understand and find acceptable I'm all for it. It would mean I can open a bank account, buy a sim card, rent cable TV, apply for internet, ETC, ETC, ETC in the same way as a Thai person can, without having to wait around or come back when there's a person who can understand the 'foreigner requirement system'.

Why would that not be acceptable/ Why would you want to be different?