Can My Thai Wife "inherit" Uk State Pension When I Croke?

Don W, dont lets turn this into personal battles, we are trying to help each other solve problems and share information. At times we miss understand each other, see things that others dont and arguments start, can we take a step back, all cool down and get back to the basics of the OP.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be so thick but the answer is still not clear to me, is the Thai wife (who is not yet registered in the NI system) of a UK pensioner elligible to recieve her husbands (reduced) state pension after his death and upon the wife reaching pensionable age?

Yes,she will be able to claim a state pension in her own name based on your NI contributions, which will then be frozen, pensionable age will be at least 66. ( all this as long as the rules do not change)

Sorry to be so thick but the answer is still not clear to me, is the Thai wife (who is not yet registered in the NI system) of a UK pensioner elligible to recieve her husbands (reduced) state pension after his death and upon the wife reaching pensionable age?

Yes,she will be able to claim a state pension in her own name based on your NI contributions, which will then be frozen, pensionable age will be at least 66. ( all this as long as the rules do not change)

I don't believe that's true, I've actually written to DWP to find out and I'll post their eventual reply. I reckon that DWP will say that because my wife is not a British subject, is not UK resident and doesn't have an nI number, tough luck. I think post 108 describes things acurately.

My wife and i both lived in the UK for over 5 years and she has an NI number ,also she usede to get child allowance ,we were also married in the uk and i have full ni payments ,does that entitle her to a pension? sorry about the underlining ,it just does it ,dont know why.

Almost certainly yes, I would bet on it, but there's an address further back for you to write to if you want to be certain.

My wife and i both lived in the UK for over 5 years and she has an NI number ,also she usede to get child allowance ,we were also married in the uk and i have full ni payments ,does that entitle her to a pension? sorry about the underlining ,it just does it ,dont know why.

Almost certainly yes, I would bet on it, but there's an address further back for you to write to if you want to be certain.

THANKS

I don't believe that's true, I've actually written to DWP to find out and I'll post their eventual reply. I reckon that DWP will say that because my wife is not a British subject, is not UK resident and doesn't have an nI number, tough luck. I think post 108 describes things acurately.

Well if and when they come with a new weez, you can be sure the last to know are the ones it concerns! Some forms of discrimination seem to be ok depending on your point of view and cash in hand.

I look forward to the answer from DWP and hope that its written in plain English.

Hi

As the rules stand at the present if you are married in the eyes of the UK government she will get a state pension, based on your contributions, when she reaches state pension age,

Your wife will also on your death be entitled to bereavement payment (a one off lump sum of £2000) and bereavement allowance if she is over 45 ( a taxable weekly benefit. It is paid for up to 52 weeks from the date of your death, ranges from £32 at age 45 to £106 at age 55+)

see here bereavement payment - http://www.direct.go...ved/DG_10018703

and bereavement allowance here - http://www.direct.go...ved/DG_10018684

claim form, national insurance number will be issued as part of the claim here - http://www.dwp.gov.u...s/bb1_print.pdf

there are separate rules if there are any young children.

it may be useful to fill in the form bb1 as far as possible and leave it with any legal docs, etc.

sorry billd766 missed your attachement

Whilst all of the above used to be the case, a new rule now stops payments to people who are not liable for UK benefits (ie they have to be able to prove that they have lived in the UK for 5 years).I'm not sure if once the 5Yrs plus are done whether pension payments continue if you then move back to Thailand but it looks as though they have closed the door on wives getting a pension based on their husbands contributions if living abroad (outside EEA).

i post information with links to government websites, and you post back saying the information i have given is not correct, but you have no links to back up your post, i will still stand by my post/information until something in black and white from a government website or the like shows different.

Guys remember this site is seen by many including the likes of the pension office etc no need to make there work to easy. We all I am sure have ways to take care of the future, so mums the word.

Unbelievable. Do you really think big brother is monitoring the ramblongs of a cackle of silly farts like us?

We all want to make life easy for us and those around us, I would call it forward planning, sadly its not a subject taught in the Kingdom.

Oh thats just great, Bagwan. First we have a racist saying that Thai women do not have the capabilities to navigate a simple form and now you, the Peacemaker, are professing that the collecticve Thai populace are incapable of forward planning as such a skill is not taught in the Kingdom.

I'll tell you what - your Thailand is wholly different to mine and I thank Allah that I do not live with the people you live with who have obviously helped you form such dire opinions of Thais and Thailand in general.

You people need to pull yourselves out of the gutter.

That's your lot - I am disgusted and will not be responding again - life is too short to deal with aged Chavs.

The only ine with a grasp on the true reality is 7by7 in his own way!

The End

Edited by DonW

Guys remember this site is seen by many including the likes of the pension office etc no need to make there work to easy. We all I am sure have ways to take care of the future, so mums the word.

Unbelievable. Do you really think big brother is monitoring the ramblongs of a cackle of silly farts like us?

Don W they are probably in Thailand right NOW scouring the hills for us expats, what they dont know though, these agents of the DWP is that they wont get any annual inceases in their wages!! They will soon scuttle off back to Blighty.

You will spot them a mile, all HANDSUM MAN, EVEN THE LADIES!!

Edited by nong38

Don W they are probably in Thailand right NOW scouring the hills for us expats, what they dont know though, these agents of the DWP is that they wont get any annual inceases in their wages!! They will soon scuttle off back to Blighty.

You will spot them a mile, all HANDSUM MAN, EVEN THE LADIES!!

My wife went to the local council yesterday to hand in my vote for the Police commissioner. She said the voting officer was hairier than me!

• 1 year later...

I am almost sure that she will get nothing as a foreign wife. Indeed, a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Good planning skills though.

Yea! nice honest people,commit Fraud,rob another Country,that owes them nothing. I'm sure they will be proud of themselves.

I dont believe there is a provision to be 'proud' when one lives in abstract poverty; though I could be wrong.

I take your point that Poverty is a special case,but that should be dealt with by their own Country,and not theft from another Country, that has no obligation to provide pensions for others that have never even lived in the UK.

So after reading this topic I am non the wiser if my Thai wife is entitled to anything when I croak it! Why do members make replies so difficult, it is either YES or NO and how much?? come on lets have some sensible positive replies please?

Well said. I've just read through 6 pages of this thread, and I still don't know the answer to the OP's question.

I am almost sure that she will get nothing as a foreign wife. Indeed, a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Yea! nice honest people,commit Fraud,rob another Country,that owes them nothing. I'm sure they will be proud of themselves.

I dont believe there is a provision to be 'proud' when one lives in abstract poverty; though I could be wrong.

I have no idea what you mean by "abstract poverty." Please clarify.

It must be Cubist.

Does it matter how long they have been married? What if a 65 y/o man marries a 20 y/o woman and dies 1 year later. Surely she would not be entitled to money from the UK for the next 80 years.

Myself, I've not paid enough years into the Pension scheme to get one anyway.

Does it matter how long they have been married? What if a 65 y/o man marries a 20 y/o woman and dies 1 year later. Surely she would not be entitled to money from the UK for the next 80 years.

It is my understanding that expat wives are no longer entitled to a pension based upon their deceased husbands

NI contributions. All part of the new austerity cuts.

It is my understanding that expat wives are no longer entitled to a pension based upon their deceased husbands

NI contributions. All part of the new austerity cuts.

yes i believe the date is 2016 when this takes place, and not likley to get any better in the coming years

Agreed. That is absolutely despicable!

Dosen't it take about 4 or 5 young working people to support one state pension in terms of taxes?

There are folks back in the U.K. that can barely pay their heating bills because their pension is so low.

Why should this person's foreign wife continue to take young British taxpayers money, when she has never contributed to the system??

And people wonder why Europe is on the verge of financial collapse.

To many scammers and freeloaders!

If her claim is lawful then she should be paid. If its fraudulent she shouldn't. That's all there is too it.

American Civil War widow, Gertrude Janeway, passed away in 2003, aged 93.

Mrs Janeway had married her husband, John Janeway, when he was 81 and she was 18 and received a $70 pension check monthly.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2296596/The-children-American-Civil-War-veterans-STILL-receiving-soldiers-pensions-nearly-150-YEARS-war-ended.html#ixzz2pvdMWgVz

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I suspect the immgrants others are complaing about is the one who sponge of the country not the ones who have come fitted in and contributed to society.

Well said. As an immigrant to the UK I agree entirely. I fitted in, I contribute to society and England gave me a home when I had none. I Love England. And, I report immigrants when I see them cheating the system. And, importantly, I tell them what I will do and I tell others why I have done it. fuc_k'em.

All I ask of immigrants is to be grateful and fit in, dont expect or get more than me. I have to fit in here the same as everyone else.

Well said again. And this should be in a contract that we sign and if and when it is abused, citizenship is revoked and we get put on the plane home.

What a terrible place it could become if run by liberals and lefties. Abu Hamza? 10 years? come on, give me a break.

Donw said:

"Well said. As an immigrant to the UK I agree entirely. I fitted in, I contribute to society and England gave me a home when I had none. I Love England. And, I report immigrants when I see them cheating the system. And, importantly, I tell them what I will do and I tell others why I have done it. fuc_k'em"

MAJIC said:

And yet a few Posts ago you were advocating Theft by a Thai wife to carry on drawing the Deceaseds UK Pension via ATM Withdrawals,and not notifying the DWP of the husbands demise,....How Strange! seems like you decide who is committing fraud!

Edited by Majic

to correct outside the box mixed up quotes

Edited by MAJIC

the laws are changing..from october 2013 i think it was stated that..a person who has worked in the uk..ie national insurance number..married to a uk spouse.would get a pension based on her NI CONTRIBUTIONS..not her husband when he dies...

so no early widows pension...she would have to wait until she reaches retirement age in the uk...

So after reading this topic I am non the wiser if my Thai wife is entitled to anything when I croak it! Why do members make replies so difficult, it is either YES or NO and how much?? come on lets have some sensible positive replies please?

if you croak within 2 years..she may get it...after that..NO...

No! the young wife would have to qualify for a pension according to her age,and her husbands NI Contributions,the same as a English wife,of a similar age!

I don't know how many years you have paid into the UK State Pension scheme? but normally you will get a percentage of the full pension,I knew 2 Australians who worked in the UK for 12 years,and paid NI contributions,and they got 12 years pension rights,out of 44years full pension at the time!not much but worth applying for.

Now it's down to 30 years to qualify for a full Pension. Unless you ask the question? you will never know how much you are entitled to.

You can get a pension Forecast,just click on the DWP Website,below!

http://expatfinancialcents.com/2012/02/20/obtaining-a-uk-state-pension-forecast/

Edited by MAJIC
  • 4 months later...

I wonder if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.My 87 year old English friend is living in Jomtien. He gets a state pension but he tells me it is not as much as if he lived in another country like the Phillipines.

He thinks he may have to move and as he is quite deaf we're concerned that an 87 year old in the Philippines with no friends will be quite vulnerable. If anyone can provide advice or information I'd be very appreciative. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Hope I hear back from someone

Thanks.