Can My Thai Wife "inherit" Uk State Pension When I Croke?

put all your assests in her name, than you can die peacefully, it might not be your time yet, but at leasy your will be rid of all your money problems, that now she will own and you can go broke back to your country and get your "state"pension

Edited by belg
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should the nationality of chosen wife really have anything to do with it?

Of course it shouldn't. If it does then that is discrimination. Rather like the "in some countries you get pension increases, others you don't". I paid the stamps I should get the same as everybody else regardless of my choice of residence or partner.

My point about the tube was to point out that only 2 passengers were speaking English and that London is, now, mainly full of foreigners not British people.

If not visitors, then immigrants, like yourself and your wife. If they are here legally then they have as much right to be her as you and your wife do.

I assume that a lot of immigrants do not pull their weight for the simple fact that many do not.

You have evidence if this; or is it your prejudices that make you assume so?

Many come here and claim benefits and do not work.

As you must know from your and your wife's experiences, immigrants are banned from claiming nearly all public funds; except those that are based upon NIC contributions, until they have ILR.

I assume they are immigrants as many were neither outwardly well -heeled to afford to visit London,

When working in London I am often asked by tourists for directions. None of them are 'outwardly well-heeled' all are casually dressed.

some were dressed in work clothes (in particular a group of Egyptians discussing a cash job).

As you say they weren't speaking English one has to assume that, among your other accomplishments, you can understand Arabic.

You talk of double standards yet at the same time you attack my poor English

Where have I attacked your poor English. I asked if English was your first language.

when you yourself openly admit that after perhaps 10 years you are unable to converse in the Language of your family or second home............Perhaps you should show a little more respect to Thailand and learn the language

As already said, I am learning Thai. Thailand is not yet my second home, but by the time we do retire there I expect to be at a reasonable, understandable standard. How's your wife's Kurdish, btw?

This does not require a response nor will it receive one.

Well it did recieve one, though I know that I should really heed the advice DNFTT!

nong38,

I have nothing against freedom of speech and people expressing an opinion. But it works both ways. If someone expresses an opinion I disagree with then I have as much right to challenge that opinion as they have to express it.

Freedom of speech does not mean one can say what one likes, as long as you agree with it!

You can say what you want and I can say what I want, its our point of view, we are all different ones and we do not need to agree, agreed? Edited by nong38
I suspect the immgrants others are complaing about is the one who sponge of the country not the ones who have come fitted in and contributed to society.

Well said. As an immigrant to the UK I agree entirely. I fitted in, I contribute to society and England gave me a home when I had none. I Love England. And, I report immigrants when I see them cheating the system. And, importantly, I tell them what I will do and I tell others why I have done it. fuc_k'em.

All I ask of immigrants is to be grateful and fit in, dont expect or get more than me. I have to fit in here the same as everyone else.

Well said again. And this should be in a contract that we sign and if and when it is abused, citizenship is revoked and we get put on the plane home.

What a terrible place it could become if run by liberals and lefties. Abu Hamza? 10 years? come on, give me a break.

I am almost sure that she will get nothing as a foreign wife. Indeed, a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Good planning skills though.

Yea! nice honest people,commit Fraud,rob another Country,that owes them nothing. I'm sure they will be proud of themselves.

And this question of debt - he paid his NIC stamps, should the nationality of chosen wife really have anything to do with it?

I wonder how long they keep on paying without checking pensioners are still alive. There must be some cut off age. Banks sometimes do checks to verify clients' identity. Probably more likely that the bank would cut her off before HMG ever got off its arse, despite pledges to go after benefits fraudsters.

I am almost sure that she will get nothing as a foreign wife. Indeed, a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Yea! nice honest people,commit Fraud,rob another Country,that owes them nothing. I'm sure they will be proud of themselves.

And this question of debt - he paid his NIC stamps, should the nationality of chosen wife really have anything to do with it?

I wonder how long they keep on paying without checking pensioners are still alive. There must be some cut off age. Banks sometimes do checks to verify clients' identity. Probably more likely that the bank would cut her off before HMG ever got off its arse, despite pledges to go after benefits fraudsters.

The ATM card would expire after a few years, it certainly could not go on indefinitely

No, English is not my first language actually.

I see, so you are an immigrant to the UK, your wife is an immigrant to the UK; yet you complain about other immigrants in the UK!

I complaint about immigrants to the UK who do not pull their weight.

Really? You complained about people on the Tube who spoke to each other in a language other than English!

Why do you assume that they don't pull their weight? Why is talking to each other in their native tongue so offensive to you? My wife speaks to her Thai friends in Thai; doesn't yours? What language do you use when you speak to other Kurds?

Why assume they are immigrants anyway? A tube going through Piccadilly; could easily have been tourists!

Your double standards are showing.

Hows my Thai? Not as good as it could be, but I'm working on it.

It is unbelievable to complain about the number of foreigners on the tube in central London. The vast majority are tourists or students anyway, all coming to the UK to spend their money. I love the cosmopolitan atmosphere when I visit London. Imagine how dreary it would be if there were only English people in London. What a sad and bigotted mindset!

I receive a Civil Service Pension, I received a letter last week enclosing a form which I had to sign and have witnessed confirming I'm still alive, the letter said that if I didn't respond within 28 working days they would stop paying my pension.

It seems the letters are sent out every five years, and indeed I've been receiving this pension for five years, I cannot remember the exact timescale, but as sometime in my 70's the letters go out every two years, and from 84, I think and God willing, the letters go out annually.

I think the State Pension managers have a similar formality, though I believe this involves a trip to your embassy.

Pretty easy for a bank if there has been no activity on the account and my bet is that the DWP can ask that question.

Arkady, I am glad you like to visit London its a great city. I have been going to London since I was 5, I lived there for over 40 years, I know what a tourist and a student look like its called local knowledge. Immigrants whether legal or not or asylum seekers legal or not tend to head for London ( the streets are paved with gold ) or the Metropolitan counties predominently, its easy to fade into the background, appear to fit in, I have seen it change over the years and its easy to see the larger population centres as typical of the UK, its not but you can understand also why other people think that it is, you see things differently to me and are able to see through my eyes. amazingly, if you lived in one the big population areas you would likely see things differently and if I lived in Devon so might I.

I see things on the tube that you have probably never seen and its pretty obvious they should not be in the UK and as the tubes all have videos somone should be doing something about it, but they are not and its not my job to. I just want to enjoy my time that I have left.

ask her, she probably knows the ins and outs of what happens when you drop off,

if not, when you tell her about it you may drop off a little sooner then you would like.

payak - terrible thing to say. Your undertanding of Thai females is limiting. They are not all whores and cut throats. I am sorry this is the experience you have had and the opinion you have formed.

ask her, she probably knows the ins and outs of what happens when you drop off,

if not, when you tell her about it you may drop off a little sooner then you would like.

payak - terrible thing to say. Your undertanding of Thai females is limiting. They are not all whores and cut throats. I am sorry this is the experience you have had and the opinion you have formed.

sorry if you took it the wrong way, it realy was just a joke.

i know a multitude of good thai girls,

Immigrants whether legal or not or asylum seekers legal or not tend to head for London

As they have done for hundreds of years! Immigration to the UK, whether for family, economic or asylum reasons is nothing new. The Huguenots in the 17th century for example.
I see things on the tube that you have probably never seen and its pretty obvious they should not be in the UK and as the tubes all have videos somone should be doing something about it, but they are not and its not my job to. I just want to enjoy my time that I have left.

Not quite sure what you mean by this? What things?

How can you tell simply by looking that someone on the tube should not be in the UK? How can those watching the CTV tell?

Not your job! If you see illegal activity anywhere, isn't it your duty as a responsible person to report it?

There's some very helpful advice here for those in the process, like me, of putting things in order before they depart. Thanks to OP and the previous posters.

Death Certificate: How does one get a Thai death certificate and then have it translated/notarised etc into a form that the DWP etc will recognise? (I shan't be suprised if the embassy charges for any notarisation services).

Thanks in advance.

There's some very helpful advice here for those in the process, like me, of putting things in order before they depart. Thanks to OP and the previous posters.

Death Certificate: How does one get a Thai death certificate and then have it translated/notarised etc into a form that the DWP etc will recognise? (I shan't be suprised if the embassy charges for any notarisation services).

Thanks in advance.

My guess is you would get from a doctor or from the hospital, if you have a Thai wife/gf it might be worth going to the town hall ( its called the municaplity in Nakhon Sawan ) with a list of questions which your other half can ask on your behalf to see exactly how thinks work here, if there is someone there who can speak English it might helpful to you. The hospitals here all have English speakers at varying levels so that be the other point of contact, you might have to leave a small tip but it would be worth it.

I will fill out a form BB1 from the UK next year and you send it all off to the UK so the pension for the other half can continue and that form will tell you what is required ( my form is in the UK) PM billd766 he has a form and might be able to help you further.

Yang123,

You usually get a death certificate by dying!

I have recently claimed for my UK state pension and as part of that process the DWP needed our wedding certificate. They would not accept a translation and insisted on the original document and said they would do the translation themselves.

As the certificate had the amphur red stamp on it I felt that was authentication enough. But I haven't heard back from DWP one way or 'tother yet.

Perhaps a death certificate would be the same. I'll have to ring and ask them.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-death

On the right hand side of the page the above reference leads to on the UK Embassy website is a reference to a file called 'Death Guidance" this file tells you everything you need to know. On my system it downloads as a PDF but does not have a .PDF extension. Probably a fault my end.

Agreed. That is absolutely despicable!

Dosen't it take about 4 or 5 young working people to support one state pension in terms of taxes?

There are folks back in the U.K. that can barely pay their heating bills because their pension is so low.

Why should this person's foreign wife continue to take young British taxpayers money, when she has never contributed to the system??

And people wonder why Europe is on the verge of financial collapse.

To many scammers and freeloaders!

people receiving state pension can claim pension credit to boost their income, they can also claim housing benefits, council tax rebate, mobility allowance as well as a yearly winter fuel allowance, i fail to see how to quote you '' There are folks back in the U.K. that can barely pay their heating bills because their pension is so low.''

I know of people that receive the winter fuel allowance and still fail to put the heating on, they treat the money as another part of their income,l think the allowance should be paid by way of a voucher or direct to the gas/electric company

A person's foreign wife can claim the pension based on her husband NI record because the rules say she can, what is the difference between a foreign born wife and a British born wife that has never worked, they both continue to take young British taxpayers money. without putting into the pot,

Edited by steve187

Yang123,

You usually get a death certificate by dying!

I have recently claimed for my UK state pension and as part of that process the DWP needed our wedding certificate. They would not accept a translation and insisted on the original document and said they would do the translation themselves.

As the certificate had the amphur red stamp on it I felt that was authentication enough. But I haven't heard back from DWP one way or 'tother yet.

Perhaps a death certificate would be the same. I'll have to ring and ask them.

http://ukinthailand....-register-death

On the right hand side of the page the above reference leads to on the UK Embassy website is a reference to a file called 'Death Guidance" this file tells you everything you need to know. On my system it downloads as a PDF but does not have a .PDF extension. Probably a fault my end.

some downloads do download without the .pdf or .doc extension just add them to the file and they will work. The hull consulate visa documents also do not add the extension when downloaded

The opportunity to register your Thai wife for N.I. benefits has now been withdrawn these 2 or 3 years. Advice that this was to be implemented was given in plenty of time for those who had not registered their wives to do so. I provided the original marriage certificate the DWP asked for and a copy of her ID card. My wife could not supply a copy of her birth certificate and I explained that the Thai peasant family into which she was born would not realise the importance of such a document since they could not read, and if indeed they had obtained a birth certificate, it would have been eaten by insects or rotted away from humidity after a short period of time. I had made efforts to obtain a duplicate copy but had refused to pay a bribe of 5K baht to have one issued. I stated that I did not think that HMG would want me to break the law of Thailand and if I had bribed the official I was concerned that the fact would be reported and I would have to buy off any police activity regarding the matter. In any event the details on a duplicate copy of her birth certificate would be copied from her ID card. Since it is mandatory for Thais over the age of 15 to carry their ID card at all times I could not send the card. This explanation was accepted by DWP and I can confirm that they do not require translations as they employ their own interpreters, so they say. I suspect that what they really do is get the BKK Consulate to confirm the details.

The spouse of a UK National is paid the sum of 2K GBP tax free as stated in above postings. Since my wife is now logged into the UK Social Security system she will also receive a reduced pension paid at 4 weekly intervals into her Thai bank account for 12 months and receive a single person's State Pension when reaching the age of 62 years providing that she does not remarry. The DWP at my request provided me with a letter confirming these facts.

My understanding is that presently the DWP will only issue a N.I. number to wives who have had the right of domicile in the UK for a minimum of two years.

Completing the documentation required by the DWP is a fearsome task ( does your wife know the name of a previous wife, the dates on which you married and divorced? ) and I would advise asking DWP to send a claim form and completing it yourself so that all your wife has to do is sign and date the claim. I think that possibly you can download a copy from the DWP site. I photocopied the one requested when my wife's aunt's husband died and the DWP have said that they will raise no objection to that. In that instance the death certificate was issued by BIB not the hospital in which he died.

Like my friend Billd766 I have made out full instructions for my wife to follow when I kick on. My overseas bank accounts were changed to being in our joint names so that she has full drawing rights. I have written letters to others who pay pensions and annuities stating that I am no longer here for her to mail. The balances of my Thai bank accounts she can obtain by using my ATM card. I see no point in her playing silly buggers with Thai banks and in any case my Thai Will states that I leave everything to her provided that she survives me by 28 days. If she does not, then her two children will benefit.

I dealt with officialdom on behalf of my wife's aunt and had all kinds of trouble with members of his UK family who stated that their father had not been married but had merely received a blessing at the local wat. They lied and cheated to get their hands on his UK bank account and pension funds but to no avail since I provided their marriage certificate and copies of her Thai passport. It was clear that they regarded his widow as a 'jungle bunny' of no account. One pension fund was so tardy in paying out due to the false claims that I asked the UK Pension Ombudsman to intervene. I would strongly advise that a UK Will be drawn up and notarised.

It is clear that many are confused by all the procedures to be followed if they want their widows to be provided for and it requires no imagination at all to realise that it may well be a task beyond the capabilities of most Thai ladies. Relying on others to sort things out is something that I would not recommend, particularly using a Thai lawyer.

Sorry to be so thick but the answer is still not clear to me, is the Thai wife (who is not yet registered in the NI system) of a UK pensioner elligible to recieve her husbands (reduced) state pension after his death and upon the wife reaching pensionable age?

Sorry to be so thick but the answer is still not clear to me, is the Thai wife (who is not yet registered in the NI system) of a UK pensioner elligible to recieve her husbands (reduced) state pension after his death and upon the wife reaching pensionable age?

As I wrote in post 3 of this thread the only people who can tell you with 100% certainty are these people.

If you write to them at this address quoting your National Insurance number they will be able to explain the current regulations or call them on

+44 191 218 7777.

The Pension Service

International Pension Centre (IPC)

Tyneview Park

Newcastle Upon Tyne

England

NE98 1BA

The opportunity to register your Thai wife for N.I. benefits has now been withdrawn these 2 or 3 years. Advice that this was to be implemented was given in plenty of time for those who had not registered their wives to do so. I provided the original marriage certificate the DWP asked for and a copy of her ID card. My wife could not supply a copy of her birth certificate and I explained that the Thai peasant family into which she was born would not realise the importance of such a document since they could not read, and if indeed they had obtained a birth certificate, it would have been eaten by insects or rotted away from humidity after a short period of time. I had made efforts to obtain a duplicate copy but had refused to pay a bribe of 5K baht to have one issued. I stated that I did not think that HMG would want me to break the law of Thailand and if I had bribed the official I was concerned that the fact would be reported and I would have to buy off any police activity regarding the matter. In any event the details on a duplicate copy of her birth certificate would be copied from her ID card. Since it is mandatory for Thais over the age of 15 to carry their ID card at all times I could not send the card. This explanation was accepted by DWP and I can confirm that they do not require translations as they employ their own interpreters, so they say. I suspect that what they really do is get the BKK Consulate to confirm the details.

The spouse of a UK National is paid the sum of 2K GBP tax free as stated in above postings. Since my wife is now logged into the UK Social Security system she will also receive a reduced pension paid at 4 weekly intervals into her Thai bank account for 12 months and receive a single person's State Pension when reaching the age of 62 years providing that she does not remarry. The DWP at my request provided me with a letter confirming these facts.

My understanding is that presently the DWP will only issue a N.I. number to wives who have had the right of domicile in the UK for a minimum of two years.

Completing the documentation required by the DWP is a fearsome task ( does your wife know the name of a previous wife, the dates on which you married and divorced? ) and I would advise asking DWP to send a claim form and completing it yourself so that all your wife has to do is sign and date the claim. I think that possibly you can download a copy from the DWP site. I photocopied the one requested when my wife's aunt's husband died and the DWP have said that they will raise no objection to that. In that instance the death certificate was issued by BIB not the hospital in which he died.

Like my friend Billd766 I have made out full instructions for my wife to follow when I kick on. My overseas bank accounts were changed to being in our joint names so that she has full drawing rights. I have written letters to others who pay pensions and annuities stating that I am no longer here for her to mail. The balances of my Thai bank accounts she can obtain by using my ATM card. I see no point in her playing silly buggers with Thai banks and in any case my Thai Will states that I leave everything to her provided that she survives me by 28 days. If she does not, then her two children will benefit.

I dealt with officialdom on behalf of my wife's aunt and had all kinds of trouble with members of his UK family who stated that their father had not been married but had merely received a blessing at the local wat. They lied and cheated to get their hands on his UK bank account and pension funds but to no avail since I provided their marriage certificate and copies of her Thai passport. It was clear that they regarded his widow as a 'jungle bunny' of no account. One pension fund was so tardy in paying out due to the false claims that I asked the UK Pension Ombudsman to intervene. I would strongly advise that a UK Will be drawn up and notarised.

It is clear that many are confused by all the procedures to be followed if they want their widows to be provided for and it requires no imagination at all to realise that it may well be a task beyond the capabilities of most Thai ladies. Relying on others to sort things out is something that I would not recommend, particularly using a Thai lawyer.

Thank you for your support Bagwan on what your wife needs to to upon YOUR death.

As I wrote in post 3 of this thread the only people who can tell you with 100% certainty are these people.

If you write to them at this address quoting your National Insurance number they will be able to explain the current regulations or call them on

+44 191 218 7777.

The Pension Service

International Pension Centre (IPC)

In theory you are correct, but I would add a health warning that the information they give on the phone isn't always 100% accurate, and it really should be.

I called and asked about deferring my State Pension, and was told that the rate I would be paid would be the rate applicable when I became eligible not when I claimed, as I was deferring to ensure I got this years rise I was dissappointed. I got accurate advice here on Thai Visa, though the the Internation Pension Centre did correct the advice when I asked them again via email.

Excellent clear and precise prose. Can I ask you, do you have a Thai will and if so did you write it yourself or get a Thai Lawyer to do it for you? Edited by nong38

Can I chip in that I've just had a lawyer in Chiang Mai write up my Thai will, I was going to have it done at the Amphur but with that type of simple will you have to specify your bank account numbers and that didn't suit. The lawyer wrote the will up to cover all my accounts (without having to specify them) and also disposal of my remains, the cost was 5k Baht for three copies which I think is excellent value - Kuhn Sumalee Jenappa of 28 Tanin Co Ltd comes highly recommended and I also can endorse, head out Huey Kaew Road towards Doi Suthep, cross over Canal Road (Dunkin Donuts on the corner) and Punna Residence @ CMU is on the left about two hundred metres, her office is on the ground floor of the second building.

Agreed. That is absolutely despicable!

Dosen't it take about 4 or 5 young working people to support one state pension in terms of taxes?

There are folks back in the U.K. that can barely pay their heating bills because their pension is so low.

Why should this person's foreign wife continue to take young British taxpayers money, when she has never contributed to the system??

And people wonder why Europe is on the verge of financial collapse.

To many scammers and freeloaders!

people receiving state pension can claim pension credit to boost their income, they can also claim housing benefits, council tax rebate, mobility allowance as well as a yearly winter fuel allowance, i fail to see how to quote you '' There are folks back in the U.K. that can barely pay their heating bills because their pension is so low.''

I know of people that receive the winter fuel allowance and still fail to put the heating on, they treat the money as another part of their income,l think the allowance should be paid by way of a voucher or direct to the gas/electric company

A person's foreign wife can claim the pension based on her husband NI record because the rules say she can, what is the difference between a foreign born wife and a British born wife that has never worked, they both continue to take young British taxpayers money. without putting into the pot,

yes you can claim ,but more than likely you will not receive.