Can My Thai Wife "inherit" Uk State Pension When I Croke?

I realize there must be a contact or law in UK,

I've looked at Revenue website but no luck.

I know she will not get anything from other EU states where I worked.

Will my state pension die with me,as the law stands now?

Any link or experience welcome.She is here and nointention to leave and has never been UK.

I also want to provide for her so intend to max her Thai state scheme for employees.

Life insurance always seem poor value esp for me!,but a link to a reputable firm be good.

As I undersatnd acturies its a bet on how long you live or is that an annuity?

Any other ideas please.

While I welcome pension professional,brokers I am not Donald The Trump so dont get over excited at commision prospects.

I am minded to live a while yet but for peace of mnd be nice to set my affairs in orde.

Best do this r while still solvent ,flexible and able to be make sound Rubba judgements.

She will quite rightly get the lot here and any savinsg ,assets I have .s I understand Thai practice the family cop the lot.

Do you advise need make a will under Thai law? (nobody else I want to inherit,maybe odd bequest to friends and charity)

but I am content to ask family to donate my library and paintings to those who might benefit from them.

I am also thinking of buying her more assets.some of land ,a shophouse etc or something that will produce income.

I hope to have another 20 years god willing but as shes 11 years Junior and fit as fiddle could well be around decades after Im gone.

I told her get yourself another falang if you want,but it's be nice to know she's independent in old age.

While I am delighted to receive the jibes some serios opinions also be welcome.

Thank you all in anticpation

This site and its collective wisdom esp some senior members have made my life here much easier than snakes and ladders and would like to thank the founders.

If you think life is tricky here ,imagine it without this invaluabel 24/7 free resource ,M150 for the unwashed ,Loi Pipers for the chaps TV for the literate

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may depends on whether your wife has registered in the UK for a National Insurance number.

I was fortunate to be able to register my wife about 3 years ago from Thailand but I believe the rules have changed since.

If you write to them at this address quoting your National Insurance number they will be able to explain the current regulations or call them on

+44 191 218 7777.

The Pension Service

International Pension Centre (IPC)

Tyneview Park

Newcastle Upon Tyne

England

NE98 1BA

You may also be interested in this information for when you die.

Bereavement payment & Allowance.pdf

I am almost sure that she will get nothing as a foreign wife. Indeed, a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Good planning skills though.

I am almost sure that she will get nothing as a foreign wife. Indeed, a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Yea! nice honest people,commit Fraud,rob another Country,that owes them nothing. I'm sure they will be proud of themselves.

Hi

As the rules stand at the present if you are married in the eyes of the UK government she will get a state pension, based on your contributions, when she reaches state pension age,

Your wife will also on your death be entitled to bereavement payment (a one off lump sum of £2000) and bereavement allowance if she is over 45 ( a taxable weekly benefit. It is paid for up to 52 weeks from the date of your death, ranges from £32 at age 45 to £106 at age 55+)

see here bereavement payment - http://www.direct.go...ved/DG_10018703

and bereavement allowance here - http://www.direct.go...ved/DG_10018684

claim form, national insurance number will be issued as part of the claim here - http://www.dwp.gov.u...s/bb1_print.pdf

there are separate rules if there are any young children.

it may be useful to fill in the form bb1 as far as possible and leave it with any legal docs, etc.

sorry billd766 missed your attachement

Edited by steve187

Yea! nice honest people,commit Fraud,rob another Country,that owes them nothing. I'm sure they will be proud of themselves.

I dont believe there is a provision to be 'proud' when one lives in abstract poverty; though I could be wrong.

And this question of debt - he paid his NIC stamps, should the nationality of chosen wife really have anything to do with it?

Hi

As the rules stand at the present if you are married in the eyes of the UK government she will get a state pension, based on your contributions, when she reaches state pension age,

Your wife will also on your death be entitled to bereavement payment (a one off lump sum of £2000) and bereavement allowance if she is over 45 ( a taxable weekly benefit. It is paid for up to 52 weeks from the date of your death, ranges from £32 at age 45 to £106 at age 55+)

claim form, national insurance number will be issued as part of the claim here - http://www.dwp.gov.u...s/bb1_print.pdf

it may be useful to fill in the form bb1 as far as possible and leave it with any legal docs, etc.

Where in this does it say non EU spouses may claim from abroad?

I dont believe there is a provision to be 'proud' when one lives in abstract poverty; though I could be wrong.

If? they are living in abject poverty,then it's the fault of their own Government,and doesn't give them the right to Thieve off another Countries Government,and doesn't excuse them.

And this question of debt - he paid his NIC stamps, should the nationality of chosen wife really have anything to do with it?

No! not if she is legally entitled to a Pension,under the law of that Country.

If? they are living in abject poverty,then it's the fault of their own Government,and doesn't give them the right to Thieve off another Countries Government,and doesn't excuse them.

Why are they 'theiving' . If she was English, it would be no issue. So why, after 25 years of mariage should she be treated as so? I ask this to both you, the BNP man, and others.

No! not if she is legally entitled to a Pension,under the law of that Country.

But she's not. She is Thai not a Brit. The law is, sometimes, an ass.

DonW your Post 13 too many Quoted Blocks,so I am replying here.

No discrimination against Thais,she is either entitled to a Pension,under the rules,or she is not. did you know that English women,are also not entitled to any gain from their Husbands UK Pension Contributions,until they also reach Pensionable age? so no need to think there is discrimination against Thai women.

The above covers your Post 14 as well!

Edited by MAJIC

..........a mate of mine in Thailand is close to passing, lives riggght out in the boonies on the Burmese border and when he goes they have no intention of informing the authorities so the pension keeps getting paid into his account and she keeps the ATM.

Why are they 'theiving' . If she was English, it would be no issue.

Whether she actually would be entitled to anything after her husband's death, I don't know. But entitled or not she should inform the DWP of his death; not doing so and simply continuing to draw the money is fraud.

An English woman who did the same would be equally guilty; as would a woman who is Northern Irish, Scottish, Welsh or any other nationality.

The only difference is that were she to be caught the DWP would probably just stop the payments, whereas someone doing the same in the UK could face gaol.

DonW your Post 13 too many Quoted Blocks,so I am replying here.

No discrimination against Thais,she is either entitled to a Pension,under the rules,or she is not. did you know that English women,are also not entitled to any gain from their Husbands UK Pension Contributions,until they also reach Pensionable age? so no need to think there is discrimination against Thai women.

The above covers your Post 14 as well!

I am not mildly retared, there is no need to highlight and underline your script.

She is 63

You're not alone RJ. Although my wife will get a pension from a former employer of mine, I have wondered if she would also be entitled to a UK widows pension.

By the way, I enjoyed Noon's post and photos from your area........tongue.png

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

There is no such thing as a Widows Pension anymore,it was abolished years ago!

Hi

No problem Steve.

I have made up a computer folder and a hard copy folder on what is to be done when I die.

Who needs to be informed with phone numbers and addresses etc, where things are, card expiry dates etc.

I have filled the form in for my wife so unless it changes all she has to do is ro date it and send it off.

By doing it all early while I am still compos mentis and updating it regularly less work will be needed later and a farang friend has promised to help her so it will be easier for her too.

I think that after the kids go back to school I will put it all together and post it to Facebook and see if I can pin it to a forum in TVF so that anybody can access easily.

Is there any language school that can teach Thai to speak Geordie for when they have to speak to the Pension department in Newcastle? rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by billd766

Reply from Personchester ... That will not last very long because British pensioners have to deal with annual tax demands from HMRC either via the website or by post, and this will apply to all pensioners, tax forms have to be completed whether tax is applicable or not.

The application forms (website or postal) require many current personal details which pensioners have to provide, thus if the chap has died then his Thai wife will not be able provide this effectivily as a result HMRC will inform the pension office in Newcastle and payments will end.

The chap and his wife have to deal with this in a legal manner, they can get the current foreign widow pension details (whilst living in a foreign country) via the internet and will then be aware of the legal details, breaking the law will not last very long.

Edited by personchester

Hi

Many thanks for the links and the tips provided.

A friend of mine died last August and I sorted out everything regarding a pension plan he paid into (not the UK State Pension) This took quite some time and effort. I also dealt with the UK State Pension people and last month she recieved 2,000 pounds bereavement benefit. They are now calculating how much widow's pension to grant as they have a UK/Thai daughter and needed to send an original birth certificate for her.

However, they had been married over twenty years and I think they changed the rules recently to stop foreign wives of more recent marriages getting a widow's pension.

I remember reading on another thread that is a devil of a job to obtain a social security number for someone who has never lived in the UK and this is a prerequisite for entitlement to a widow's state pension. If anyone knows how to do this, please post.

Edited by Arkady

Re life insurance. I agree that most policies are a bit of a rip off, most particularly the ones offered in Thailand. I have a small UK one that I have been dutifully paying into for decades but I am going to cash it in and invest the proceeds myself, since they refused for various complex reasons to make my wife a beneficiary of it and there is thus no point in my putting up with its poor rates of return and high fees any longer. After seeing what was available in Thailand I decided to put aside the equivalent of the premium I would have paid in an account for my wife every year that I invest in blue chip Thai stocks for her, so we will have access to ready cash in the event of my demise. It is subject to market fluctuations but over the long term that is better than being steadily eroded by inflation and dividends are about 5% vs about 2.75% max on fixed deposit. That is I suppose self insurance, as opposed to what the poor sods do who end up getting murdered for their life insurance. This way the longer I live the more she gets.

We were married in the UK and it was the UK pensions office that suggested I should register my wife for a NI number which they said was linked to my NI number. this was in reply to my question about widows pensions etc .She now has a NI number. not sure if being married in UK is a pre condition

Bear in mind that as soon as UK is aware you are deceased your bank accounts will be frozen.You need to have made provision in an English will to cover this eventuality

If you buy annuity with your pension fund it depends if you have chosen single life ( most money ) of double life ( does not matter who dies first but amount payable will be reduced )

If you want an annuity with inflation built in then you will get less still per month, rates are crap at the moment

If you have income of more than 20 k GBP then you have another option of drawdown, that means you need something like 4000k working for you , but allows you more choice and the remainder to go to your wife, rather than lose to a company on your death.

Depending on how big your pension is and if under 18 000 then you can take the lot as cash, above that and only 25% as a tax free lump sum

Depending on size of estate you may want to consult an IFA ( I am not one, but am well read on such matters ) as best way to take your monies ( savings etc )

without a will in place, for UK assets then it will become a bun fight potentially, brothers, sisters, aunts uncles cousins, may want to claim your assets GET A UK WILL MADE.

Make a will also in Thailand and make sure that it covers the Thai assets.

Insurance against life is a good idea if you can afford, but don't buy more than is necessary

make sure you list all your assets, car, bike, pictures books etc and define what and where goes to whom GET A THAI WILL MADE

Now I am not being pessimistic, but what if you both die in an accident? Then where do you want the assets to go GET YOUR WIFE TO MAKE A THAI WILL

Any children? pets ? special items e.g. stamp collection, antiques, family airloomss? Things that you want to be treated special after your demise?

Good forward thinking, more people should do it.

Your mates wife is right, as I am always saying, get what you can from the UK Government, all they do anyway is give the taxpayers money to MPs "expenses", overseas aid, giving to emigrants, and steal from OAPs living abroad by not allowing the annual increases.