Is Being Fat A Choice (If There Is No Underlying Medical Reason)

robblok

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and my subsequent craving for blue berries is not slowing my progress enough to warrant the tablets. (for now) They are a powerful tool. Later i read they are banned in the USA.

LOL. I love blueberries too, but their price here in Thailand quickly overcomes any craving I have for them.

and my subsequent craving for blue berries is not slowing my progress enough to warrant the tablets. (for now) They are a powerful tool. Later i read they are banned in the USA.

LOL. I love blueberries too, but their price here in Thailand quickly overcomes any craving I have for them.

I get them frozen from the makro, i use them as a little snack now and again, at 270 bt a kg im ok with it.

I get them frozen from the makro, i use them as a little snack now and again, at 270 bt a kg im ok with it.

They go well in a protein shake after a workout.

BTW - I am a nutritionist .........

So you are a nutritionist and you call naturopaths quacks.

That is a laugh. I will back a good naturopath over a nutritionist anyday.

I am an accountant but i don't pretend i know everything. Some people might actually know more about some taxes then i do who are not an accountant but studied that particular bit extra hard.

Qualifications count for something but not everything.

That is a laugh. I will back a good naturopath over a nutritionist anyday....

so you believe in " a special energy called vital energy or vital force guides bodily processes such as metabolism, reproduction, growth, and adaptation"?

.......and your basis for this is?

Although being Fat is unhealthy, so is being absolutely obsessed with your body.

Like diet and exercise the mental attitude to our wellbeing and how we get there needs to be in balance.

Edited by stiggy
  • Like 1

That is a laugh. I will back a good naturopath over a nutritionist anyday....

so you believe in " a special energy called vital energy or vital force guides bodily processes such as metabolism, reproduction, growth, and adaptation"?

.......and your basis for this is?

What sort of rubbish are you sprouting now.

Naturopaths are nutritionists who believe that through nutrition, herbs, vitamins and a wholistic approach to diet that the body can heal itself.

It is clear you dont have any knowledge of this field or any experience with people who practice naturopathy.

The naturopath i have used for over thirty years works with many doctors and gives seminars to the medical profession as well. She got rid of the vitiligo my wife had which no doctors could fix and she helped fix many people who had failed with conventional medical treatments.

What you wont get with her is any guick fixes or magical promises of pills to fix ailments.

This attitude of calories in calories out in my opinion is overrated.There are a lot of undiagnosed physiological issues or diagnosed medical factors that play a part in weight fact.

You may think it is overrated, but it is a fact of biology. It takes calories to add body mass as well as to perform any kind of metabolic activity. So yes, it is as simple as calories in versus calories out. Period. That is the math.

However, there are many factors that can effect the balance for different people. What can be different, whether it be from an underlying medical reason or the timing of the calories in, is how a specific body handles this change, whether from how many calories a body can absorb from a given piece of food to how slow or fast a person burns a given amount of calories.

WHile the interaction between two people can be quite different, that does not affect the fact that it still is calories in versus calories out.

• Like 1

Although being Fat is unhealthy, so is being absolutely obsessed with your body.

Like diet and exercise the mental attitude to our wellbeing and how we get there needs to be in balance.

It kinda depends if you are obsessed with your body and only do good things then there is nothing wrong. But if your taking all kinds of things that might be damaging then its a different story.

But coming from you it sounds more of an excuse in view of your previous comments.

I like this comment someone once made:

Obsession is a word the LAZY use to describe the DEDICATED

Though of course it does not always fly

Edited by robblok

OK, I was thinking about the fresh ones they sell at Foodland, Villa and Friendship.

wow bit personal, I don't need excuses I'm not that over weight and healthy.

Yes I have struggled with weight and have a valid reason 118 - 95 kgs isnt so bad. Unless of course your an expert on the long term effects of surviving envenomation to, and wish to argue that or have your pals call BS.

Incidentally I was talking more about the mood swinging body builders, the anorexic those suffering from bulimia, the well worrying people who doing yearly check ups bi monthly etc not having a pop at you.

But judging from the defensive and then playground esq attacking response if the cap fits?

@stiggy,

Anyway if you want to loose fat and how you do it is all up to you. Nobody will judge you how you do it. Make sure you want to do it else you fail. Its also a lifestyle choice.. you cant go back to your old ways or you gain it all back.

It depends on what you mean by obsession. I'm sure most people would think I'm obsessed, but for me it's a hobby. There's nothing unhealthy about it - I'm feeling great and have stripped off all my excess fat. At 50 plus I couldn't think of a healthier "obsession".

Edited by tropo

wow bit personal, I don't need excuses I'm not that over weight and healthy.

Yes I have struggled with weight and have a valid reason 118 - 95 kgs isnt so bad. Unless of course your an expert on the long term effects of surviving envenomation to, and wish to argue that or have your pals call BS.

Incidentally I was talking more about the mood swinging body builders, the anorexic those suffering from bulimia, the well worrying people who doing yearly check ups bi monthly etc not having a pop at you.

But judging from the defensive and then playground esq attacking response if the cap fits?

Since when are bodybuilders prone to mood swings ? I certainly never heard of this. Some people are prone to it but not necessarily bodybuilders. But if it makes you feel good keep to your beliefs

And your weight says nothing to me, i actually don't care about it.

It depends on what you mean by obsession. I'm sure most people would think I'm obsessed, but for me it's a hobby. There's nothing unhealthy about it - I'm feeling great and have stripped off all my excess fat. At 50 plus I couldn't think of a healthier "obsession".

For me its a hobby too, something to keep me occupied. I think its a lot better as most hobbies.

This attitude of calories in calories out in my opinion is overrated.There are a lot of undiagnosed physiological issues or diagnosed medical factors that play a part in weight fact.

You may think it is overrated, but it is a fact of biology. It takes calories to add body mass as well as to perform any kind of metabolic activity. So yes, it is as simple as calories in versus calories out. Period. That is the math.

However, there are many factors that can effect the balance for different people. What can be different, whether it be from an underlying medical reason or the timing of the calories in, is how a specific body handles this change, whether from how many calories a body can absorb from a given piece of food to how slow or fast a person burns a given amount of calories.

WHile the interaction between two people can be quite different, that does not affect the fact that it still is calories in versus calories out.

Having just done some long flights in air-conditioned planes, I got a clue into how I can eat more than most and stay lean. I was able to sit comfortably for 8 hours in a tank top and shorts while most around me were wearing jackets, long pants and draped in blankets. Calories are a measure of heat energy and burning them faster kept me warm.

There's no magical way. If you don't burn them you'll wear them.

Edited by tropo

Good point. I'm tiring of people giving their body weights as an indication of their fatness. 95kg means nothing at all. It's meaningless without an accurate measurement for percentage bodyfat.

Many very light weight girls can be clinically obese although appearing skinny. Some of those supermodels could be over 30% fat as they're carrying very little muscle.

Having just done some long flights in air-conditioned planes, I got a clue into how I can eat more than most and stay lean. I was able to sit comfortably for 7 hours in a tank top and shorts while most around me were wearing jackets, long pants and draped in blankets. Calories are a measure of heat energy and burning them faster kept me warm.

There's no magical way. If you don't burn them you'll wear them.

Brown adipose tissue?

We are in fact just large columns of water. Most of our diet is used to keep or body temp at the norm. Exercise etc don't take nearly as much extra calories as people think.

Making yourself cold is not an option.

If you consume them we all burn off at remarkably similar rates in the same conditions.

If you put food into these columns of water the calories are extracted and used up to a point, after that they are stored - as fat - if you don't want to srtore as fat, don't eat them. Burning off is not really an option.

Worked with several mood swinging body builders, they had the science wrong behind the dietary requirements.Become incredibly moody before a large event or competition so much so they used to take days of work at the bosses request.

I have also been to my sister in-law's wedding, then try and comfort her after she threw her wedding cake up due to the effects of weight obsession.

So yup more than just beliefs, experience some of it very personal

When any person starts to mess with there daily uptake change diet etc initially it can affect mood, sure you must of have experienced that.

I made a simple statement, mental balance is just as important for health and got all these replies initially attacking. Why ?

Sorry it tires you Tropo .

Perhaps a picture of me in tight lycra will get my point across, or a picture of completing my first half marathon earlier this year will suit you? then all can judge if I am good enough to be in the beautiful people club.

Or if I should remain silent as I am far to under qualified to post in the "im to fat forum"

After all it is the "Im to fat forum" , and not the " I was fat and now have the opinion's attitude and lifestyle opinions of an amateur athlete" forum

Or have clicked on the wrong link?

Edited by stiggy

Good point. I'm tiring of people giving their body weights as an indication of their fatness. 95kg means nothing at all. It's meaningless without an accurate measurement for percentage bodyfat.

Many very light weight girls can be clinically obese although appearing skinny. Some of those supermodels could be over 30% fat as they're carrying very little muscle.

sorry but you've got the wrong end of the stick there. The problems associated with over dieting and lack of muscle to fat ratios are not referred to as obesity, and carry an overlapping but different set of problems.

Worked with several mood swinging body builders, they had the science wrong behind the dietary requirements.Become incredibly moody before a large event or competition so much so they used to take days of work at the bosses request.

I have also been to my sister in-law's wedding, then try and comfort her after she threw her wedding cake up due to the effects of weight obsession.

So yup more than just beliefs, experience some of it very personal

When any person starts to mess with there daily uptake change diet etc initially it can affect mood, sure you must of have experienced that.

I made a simple statement, mental balance is just as important for health and got all these replies initially attacking. Why ?

It was not a real attack but when people who are out of shape start calling others obsessed its usually an excuse.

If you are talking competition bodybuilders, you might be right. But your taking a real small sample and base your conclusions on that. Not good science.

I mean there are countless stories of sad fat people, yet i don't paint all fat people as sad sobs with mental problems just to justify my exercise.

I do it for myself so i don't need to do that.

Sorry it tires you Tropo .

Perhaps a picture of me in tight lycra will get my point across, then all can judge if I am good enough to be in the beautiful people club.

Or if I should remain silent as I am far to under qualified to post in the i"m to fat forum"

You don't get the point, weight says nothing at all. Fat percentage says something about how fat you are weight does not. It's a valid point he makes.

I am obese if i would use BMI.

You even went one step further you gave weight without height indication.

@cowslip, i think Tropo and me really understand that burning it does not help that much. I row 50 minutes 3 times a week.. burns around 600+ calories. That is nothing if you compare what your body burns normally. My weightlifting sessions burn even less.

But they do serve a purpose.. conserving muscle and its good for cardiovascular health.

sorry but you've got the wrong end of the stick there. The problems associated with over dieting and lack of muscle to fat ratios are not referred to as obesity, and carry an overlapping but different set of problems.

So you are saying that if someone mentions a weight without height or anything you can say they are obese or not ? You have never met them.. they say i am xxx

Fair point , these guys are professional body builders.

I do get the point and understand about BMI etc learnt all that and more in basic med school years ago.

I doubt that ANY athlete who is at the top of his game is healthy. Bodybuilder or cyclist. If you are competing your demanding a lot of your body. Maybe going to far.

• Like 1

I do get the point and understand about BMI etc learnt all that and more in basic med school years ago.

I doubt that ANY athlete who is at the top of his game is healthy. Bodybuilder or cyclist. If you are competing your demanding a lot of your body. Maybe going to far.

there is truth in this.

Keeping "Healthy" is one thing....super-fit or athletically fit are quite different from this. Body builders in particular are a fine example of how the wrong exercise and diet can get you into a real mess - especially if you are using steroids, which is why most body builders come to Thailand.

you only need a small amount of activity to get "healthy" and this in turn will improve on any weight problems.

However most people simply fail to realise how much they eat compared to others and how even though they "exercise" they do in fact have an incredibly inactive lifestyle.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

there is truth in this.

Keeping "Healthy" is one thing....super-fit or athletically fit are quite different from this. Body builders in particular are a fine example of how the wrong exercise and diet can get you into a real mess - especially if you are using steroids, which is why most body builders come to Thailand.

you only need a small amount of activity to get "healthy" and this in turn will improve on any weight problems.

However most people simply fail to realise how much they eat compared to others and how even though they "exercise" they do in fact have an incredibly inactive lifestyle.

[

Could you explain the mess bodybuilders are in please ?

I am not talking about steriod taking but natural ones, who don't compete.

I exercise around an hour a day, not that much actually i believe standard is half an hour exercise a day is recommended.