Is Being Fat A Choice (If There Is No Underlying Medical Reason)

robblok

I'm afraid I do ....but you don't seem aware of the limitations or its misuses?

I should open a clinic; i'd make a fortune out of the likes of you!

LOL. You'd be the last clinic I'd go to, but having said that, I never go to clinics anyway - do very well without them. If I did go to a clinic and you were there, I'd run a mile.laugh.png

I think the main limitation here is your lack of knowledge or the ability to put two sentences together which make any sense.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@laislica

The problem is to inspire / push others. I can only say this do it for your health. You can avoid problems later on its not a cosmetic thing only. You really can be more healthy if you have less visceral fat.

I know what you mean with life time motivation, you need to keep exercising moderately and eating well. However once you reach a state you like you can have your cheat days and you don't have to deprive yourself of everything. But in moderation.

Its never going to be easy, we all have the same problem you have to give up some things. But if you do exercise you will stay vital to a much higher age.

When I was in Thailand we were always moving and there were no Gym facilities nearby, it is too hot to be doing anything much outside so in those 5 months, I lost muscle and gained a little fat.

I've got the additional fat off but not rebuilt the muscle. I return to Thailand mid Nov.

So now I shall leave TV Forum and get my bicycle out and do some peddling in the sunshine.

Catch ya later laugh.png

My Ghrelen response must be the one for the obese person, constant nagging for food.

I can avoid food for hours but once I start - exactly like it was in the program.

Let's not blame it all on ghrelin. There is a definite self control element to the process of eating too.

For example, this evening I waited too long to eat and was very hungry. I went to a food court to eat and bought a big bowl of salad and chicken. I ate it reasonably quickly and was still hungry when finished. I waited for about 15 minutes to allow my "full hormone" to kick in, all the while thinking of ordering a dessert. I didn't and eventually I felt full enough. That took will power.

Morale of the story - don't blame it all on hormones.

• Like 1

@laislica

The problem is to inspire / push others. I can only say this do it for your health. You can avoid problems later on its not a cosmetic thing only. You really can be more healthy if you have less visceral fat.

I know what you mean with life time motivation, you need to keep exercising moderately and eating well. However once you reach a state you like you can have your cheat days and you don't have to deprive yourself of everything. But in moderation.

Its never going to be easy, we all have the same problem you have to give up some things. But if you do exercise you will stay vital to a much higher age.

When I was in Thailand we were always moving and there were no Gym facilities nearby, it is too hot to be doing anything much outside so in those 5 months, I lost muscle and gained a little fat.

I've got the additional fat off but not rebuilt the muscle. I return to Thailand mid Nov.

So now I shall leave TV Forum and get my bicycle out and do some peddling in the sunshine.

Catch ya later laugh.png

Certainly living in the tropical climate makes losing fat and getting fit a lot harder. It's even harder for me because I sweat here just doing nothing.

I remember when I used to live in a "normal" temperate climate. I always gained the most strength and muscle in winter. The hot summer months were a time where I would just try to hold onto my gains.

• Like 1

Bless you Tropo,

it sounds easy when you say it like that LOL

If you'd like to re-watch the episode, you will be reminded that even the very fit presenter lost the battle of willpower v hormones just as the researcher suggested she might.....

The point I wanted to make was that I have a better understanding of me!

Now I know that I shall do more to boost my willpower!

Now, where did I put that 6 pack? neus.gif

Bless you Tropo,

If you'd like to re-watch the episode, you will be reminded that even the very fit presenter lost the battle of willpower v hormones just as the researcher suggested she might.....

I remember the documentary well, the only difference is that the presenter was a regular person without any physical goals to give her motivation to eat better.

I train very hard in the gym to achieve my physical goals. I remind myself of them and how hard I work when I feel like "cheating". It works most of the time but sometimes I give in to those urges. I have a mind image of the body I want to create and this give me more power to overcome cravings. Sometimes I touch my abs, and that gives me incentive to resist.

You'd have to develop your own motivational techniques to overcome the power of ghrelin.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I have to revise my opinion on cowslip, the guy or girl is absolutely brilliant. But not at nutrition or training but at trolling. Coming up with unfounded opinions and trying to get an response well done.

Every time cowslip comes up with something we get facts and research to disprove it post some links ect. Meanwhile cowslip never quotes research and when confronted with it either ignores it or denies it.

I will do my best to ignore him, and let him go bag to petting gibbons.

Bless you Tropo,

I remember the documentary well, the only difference is that the presenter was a regular person without any physical goals to give her motivation to eat better.

I train very hard in the gym to achieve my physical goals. I remind myself of them and how hard I work when I feel like "cheating". It works most of the time but sometimes I give in to those urges. I have a mind image of the body I want to create and this give me more power to overcome cravings. Sometimes I touch my abs, and that gives me incentive to resist.

You'd have to develop your own motivational techniques to overcome the power of ghrelin.

I am a little bit different. My main motivation is to feel good. If I exercise right and eat right I feel good. Of course I want to look good and I am in good shape but not like a bodybuilder.

• Like 1

As long as we all got our motivation for going on. Just like Tropo i touch my abs at times (too bad they are not that cut yet). But whatever happens you are always going to have a cheat once in a while. As long as its not too regular and you do all other things well its ok.

Life should be enjoyable, i also like the energy i get from training in my day to day life.

But you can't motivate someone else, you can help them a bit but that is it. If there is no will for it it will never work.

• Like 1

I have to revise my opinion on cowslip, the guy or girl is absolutely brilliant. But not at nutrition or training but at trolling. Coming up with unfounded opinions and trying to get an response well done.

Every time cowslip comes up with something we get facts and research to disprove it post some links ect. Meanwhile cowslip never quotes research and when confronted with it either ignores it or denies it.

As I mentioned before, those links on visceral fat were very helpful to me so in a strange way Cowslip does add something to the discussion - even if it's a bit frustrating at times.

Please provide more links coffee1.gif

As I mentioned before, those links on visceral fat were very helpful to me so in a strange way Cowslip does add something to the discussion - even if it's a bit frustrating at times.

Please provide more links coffee1.gif

Unfortunately it is not easy to determine the level of visceral fat. With a waist measurement of 34", you're probably not carrying too much.

The only way to determine visceral fat levels is a DEXA scan, or a CAT scan. Obviously a CAT scan would be out of the question for most, but a DEXA scan is affordable. We haven't found one in Thailand yet - I just had mine done last week in Australia. It cost me AUD $88

I would suggest you have one done before you come back to Thailand. If offers an incredible amount of information. When I get round to it later on I'll scan some results so you can get an idea of what it has to offer.

Edited by tropo

In answer to an earlier point about how long can you continue heavy workouts:-

Bodybuilder and rower, age 93, to join WCAA

Source : Age Scotland

Published on 07 August 2012 10:30 AM

200x160_Dr-Charles-Eugster_main.jpg

Next Thursday and Friday will see a most inspirational man at the World Congress on Active Ageing in Glasgow.

Retired dentist Dr. Charles Eugster, a mere 93 years of age, has been rowing in Masters Rowing championships for 30 years - winning 32 World Masters and 6 Euro Masters gold medals.

At the age of 87 he became interested in body-building and joined a body-building club, hiring a previous “Mr Universe” as a coach. Within the space of 3-4 years, Charles’ body, in spite of advanced age, had been completely rebuilt. In 2009 he received a trophy in Vienna from the Austrian Sport Association for being the first 90 year-old ever to have rowed in the Masters Rowing Regatta.

Born in London in 1919, Charles is currently in training with a member of the Swiss national rowing squad to compete in the World Masters Rowing Regatta in Duisburg, Germany this coming September, in which he will be the oldest competitor by a decade. He is considered an expert on the biological processes involved in muscle building and makes a fascinating point about the correlation between training in old age and resistance to suffering from cognitive decline, Alzheimer's and dementia.

• Like 1

Next Thursday and Friday will see a most inspirational man at the World Congress on Active Ageing in Glasgow.

Retired dentist Dr. Charles Eugster, a mere 93 years of age, has been rowing in Masters Rowing championships for 30 years - winning 32 World Masters and 6 Euro Masters gold medals.

At the age of 87 he became interested in body-building and joined a body-building club, hiring a previous “Mr Universe” as a coach. Within the space of 3-4 years, Charles’ body, in spite of advanced age, had been completely rebuilt. In 2009 he received a trophy in Vienna from the Austrian Sport Association for being the first 90 year-old ever to have rowed in the Masters Rowing Regatta.

Born in London in 1919, Charles is currently in training with a member of the Swiss national rowing squad to compete in the World Masters Rowing Regatta in Duisburg, Germany this coming September, in which he will be the oldest competitor by a decade. He is considered an expert on the biological processes involved in muscle building and makes a fascinating point about the correlation between training in old age and resistance to suffering from cognitive decline, Alzheimer's and dementia.

That is really inspirational.

I find it a bit strange that although he is "considered an expert on the biological processes involved in muscle building" he only started bodybuilding at age 87.

I find it a bit strange that although he is "considered an expert on the biological processes involved in muscle building" he only started bodybuilding at age 87.

I think it might be badly written and is actually referring to his coach as the expert?

I think it is a choice, yes.

Six years ago i was diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. My weight went nuts. I hardly ate anything, yet put on weight and was collapsing. Prior to that i was running 10k either everyday or alternate days and very fit and slim. The situation made me miserable, but yet, i still tried to do some exercise and watch what i was eating. After some time with medication my levels became normal again, and i started to get back on track.

Even when i was in hospital following a bike accident, i did what i could on my hospital bed (within reason). Basically trying to maintain some kind of feeling of well-being in a difficult time.

For me, if im being lazy, it has a negative knock on effect throughout all areas of my life.

If i dont eat healthily on a general basis and work out, i begin to feel less good about myself. I like the feel good factor and the endorphins that a healthy active lifestyle brings me. (Im not saying its for everyone, im just speaking from a personal stand point).

For me being fit and healthy gives me (personally) quality of life.

I NEVER calorie count, nor do i keep track of what scales say.

I go by how my body looks, and how i feel.

But even at times where it would have been easy to give up and resort to junk and given up on exercise, i strived to keep at it, because i knew the benefits would be worth it (health, well-being, feel-good factor). It was (and hope it will always be) the choice i make.

Thanks you for sharing that. It will be my inspiration.

I wrote in an earlier thread that my Mum gained weight on almost no food or drink.

They even had her in a clinic so they had total control over what she consumed.

This was 50 years ago so their knowledge was much less then. They just could not understand how she gained weight.

Your diagnosis may explain it.

• Like 1

I wrote in an earlier thread that my Mum gained weight on almost no food or drink.

This was 50 years ago so their knowledge was much less then. They just could not understand how she gained weight.

She had to be consuming more calories than she needed. There's no other way - fat had to be created from food. She must have been sneaking it in somehow. If her metabolism slowed down then perhaps she wouldn't have needed much.

She had to be consuming more calories than she needed. There's no other way - fat had to be created from food. She must have been sneaking it in somehow. If her metabolism slowed down then perhaps she wouldn't have needed much.

We shall never know. Water retention, a vitamin deficiency, white coat sybdrome?

Well her Doc had no idea. She used to eat some special food caller Energen Rolls.

I think it was made from cellulose and to be eaten in the place of bread. They were spherical and light as a ping pong ball and tasted about the same too.

Poor thing, what a struggle. She is in a better place now though.

The truth is probably that her metabolism had gone into starvation mode and virtually shut down.

Then the good old hormones took over, causing to eat more than she needed - which wasn't much.

I think that there is a good reason why we are advised not to eat too little.

Tropo did you see what i wrote above?

I was running 10k every day, or alternate days, and lifting weights prior to my thyroid disease. I was approximately 5'6" and 54kg. Slim with muscle tone. When my thryroid function went crazy i was eating the same calories (and at one point much less, due to being distressed at gaining RAPID weight). My weight shot up to around hmmm,, between 67 and 70kg in a matter of WEEKS. At one point i was given too much thryoid replacement and i dramatically shrunk. Then i went to Bumrungrad where a specialist got my levels sorted out (over a period of about 2-3 months..if i recall. Was a long time ago, and happily forget the exact details).

I went from a very healthy (and to be honest, a little addicted) fitness enthusiast, to someone rapidly gaining weight and who couldnt walk up 5 flights of stairs without fear of collapsing.

It was absolutely nothing to do with the calories i consumed.

After my levels became normal again with medication (which i take every day), i got back to being my more normal weight and back to being able to exercise.

Edit: although you do mention about metabolism issues, which of course the thyroid affects.

Edit2: ..and at the time it was pretty frightening..and also a bit isolating in the sense that of course many people assume you if you say you have a thyroid condition, you are using it as an excuse. Maybe some do use it as an excuse, but most certainly in my case it wasnt. I was completely powerless, and im grateful that some tiny thyroid replacement hormones gave me back my quality of life.

Edited by eek
  • Like 1

Eek, really a matter of weeks. I am not doubting you here i just like to know more. Because I have read stuff about the thyroid but never this extreme. 13 kg in a few weeks is enormous. If that was in a month is 3kg a week. Your MBR must have gone down to nothing at all.

if all of that was fat that means you were consuming 21.000 cals a week say 3000 cals a day and metabolic rate at zero. Or it could mean you were holding a lot of water too because this is real strange.

Not doubting you just curious, could it have been a bit longer then weeks ? Because you said you did not monitor your weight that much

?

I take it you are taking something like t4 hormones now ? I am just really interested in this because i like to know more about MBR rates and stuff.

Tropo, if they had her in a clinic and controlled her intake its unlikely. I have heard about Hashimoto before but never knew it could be this extreme.

I think that there is a good reason why we are advised not to eat too little.

I think this is another case for exercising when trying to lose fat. You're body will be less likely to "eat" muscles which are being used.

• Like 1

DO I look good in the mirror? Am I happy about my reflection?

Yes staring back at me is a normal healthy guy that enjoys life, has a wife that still jumps him after 20 years and isn't to caught up in being perfect.

But then again last time I checked myself out in the mirror was in my own bathroom, not in lycra down the gym in front of all the other lads smile.png

I also thought Gym mirrors where about checking ones form and technique during exercise, for that I always have my brother with me. A PT 26 Built like a tank and due to sibling rivalry very motivating but then he has 15 odd years on me.

Edited by stiggy

DO I look good in the mirror? Am I happy about my reflection?

Yes staring back at me is a normal healthy guy that enjoys life, has a wife that still jumps him after 20 years and isn't to caught up in being perfect.

But then again last time I checked myself out in the mirror was in my own bathroom, not in lycra down the gym in front of all the other lads smile.png

I also thought Gym mirrors where about checking ones form and technique during exercise, for that I always have my brother with me. A PT 26 Built like a tank and due to sibling rivalry very motivating but then he has 15 odd years on me.

What is your obsession with lycra and in front of other lads.. i wonder what Freud would say. I don't go to gyms as i train at home, but when i went i did not see guys wear lycra. I only see that on cyclists.

Good for her, being happy with yourself is the most important thing and not judging others.

I have no problem with fat people, only with those that complain about being fat but not doing anything about it.

I would not date a fat girl but that is just personal preference. I think most guys prefer slim.