Eade, The Vegetarian Month

jcw

We are coming up next week to Eade (spelling?).

I believe it is a Buddhist thing, hence looking for info here. I have never learnt what it is all about.

My other half normally last about 3 days before the temptation of bacon slips in, then another day or two before back to munching on chicken and pigs.

I am happy to go vego for a few days in support. I sometimes wonder how much I offend the locals though.

Does anyone have the short version on what it is all about please?

wai.gif Yes, it celenrated in Phuket but also observed by many in Thailand also.

It has different origins, and you can Google or Yahoo it for the various rationales and explanantions behind it.

When I first came to Bangkok I was friends with a Thai-Chinese family that ran a guesthouse I lived in for a while.

They introduced me to some Thai-Chinese vegetarian dishes that are really good.

For example, I have seen an all vegetarian simulation of Peking Duck, no meat anywhere.

The entire dinner was vegetarian, made from things like fried Bean Curd and Soy, sculpted into what looked like Duck, Chicken, and Pork.

Really good too.

This year it runs from 15 October to 22 October here in Thailand I believe.

Even Thais that may not normally be vegetarians will do a few days of vegetarian meals as "purification" from meat in this time.

And I do think that with the Thai-Chinese here, the tradition does go back to Taoist or at least pre-buddhist Chinese traditions.

I believe this also have something with the "goddess of Mercy" in Chinese mythology.....but I may be wrong on that.

wink.png

• Like 2