Why Thailand Has Left Traffic When The Country Was Never Colonizing?

Sandman77

The sword length sounds like a good explanation.

I had always heard that the reason for left driving was that when carriages became more popular, most coachmen being right handed, there was danger that if they drove on the right they might hurt pedestrians when they used their whip. Then, when the first cars started to appear, obviously they had to follow the flow of the traffic so they continued to drive on the left. Makes sense too.

I always thought that/those would have been the reasons also for Thailand, but the car presented to the King probably settled any doubts if they existed.

What I don't know is why many (a majority?) of countries decided to drive on the right hand side. Anyone?

The sword length sounds like a good explanation.

I had always heard that the reason for left driving was that when carriages became more popular, most coachmen being right handed, there was danger that if they drove on the right they might hurt pedestrians when they used their whip. Then, when the first cars started to appear, obviously they had to follow the flow of the traffic so they continued to drive on the left. Makes sense too.

I always thought that/those would have been the reasons also for Thailand, but the car presented to the King probably settled any doubts if they existed.

What I don't know is why many (a majority?) of countries decided to drive on the right hand side. Anyone?

But would it not also make sense to have the shield on the side which one expected the danger to come from?

I am guessing someone just decided that this would be the side we travel on.

Back in those days nobody argued too much with the authorities.

Other Heads of States said, "we will go with this side of the road".

1000 years down the road, we started to discuss why we use the different sides.

What about the Maritime navigational marking systems (IALA)?

We also have 2 different systems, where Thailand and UK actually use the regular one.

wink.png

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What, and whom, are the "cheese-eating surrender monkeys?" Never heard that one before.

I would presume, the -FRENCH- "surrender" in the 2nd World war.rolleyes.gif

That is a bit unfair, the French, the "surrenders",

In History, nearly every country had its "Glory Days" (Years, Decades, Centuries) some longer some shorter, only few, never.

The French had that time, intense and impressive, but short, during Napoleons reign.

Without the channel, between England and France, and if Napoleon would not have gone to far inside Russia!whistling.gif

and had some more years to built a fleet, the English would speak French today. (Yes, to many when and if!tongue.png )

The British, had by far longer Glory Centuries and the USA has them since 100 years and now.

But the stars and stripes are slowly fading, not militarily but economically and than is the first place difficult to hold. and to finance.wai2.gif

Just to lay the "cheese-eating......" to rest, I don't ckaim that as my own: for those of you who have seen Top Gear, it was Clarkson who said it.

What I cannot justify, at least in my own mind, is why Thais still drive (mostly) on the left, when there is no strong historical reason for this, even given the original story of the King's car. So far, I think we have found out why they started out droving on the left, but why do they still do this in a region that predominantly drives on the right.

You might be right about the good sense of changing sides Rob, but the cost and logistics are immense.

Every single road sign and road-marking the length a breadth of the Land would have to be duplicated and then switched too in one precise moment overnight. It is an enormous operation, both physically and mentally. And what about the steering wheels in all those cars being on the wrong side? What a dangerous scenario is evoked there in this land of Michael Shumakers?

The carnage the next day would be unsurpassable too. Half of the dimwits would fail to understand the change. It would IMO result in even more fatalities in it's infancy.

Thoroughly impossible IMO. Costly and deadly and organising it would be beyond the beloved Thai physe.

I love Thais and Thailand, but am scared shit of drivers and driving enough as it is.

rob, what make me laugh about this,

the yanks say the right side of the road is the best side to drive on,

then they make cars with 6,7,8ltr engines and then put the speed limit to 55, wow,,that makes sence,,lol,

jake

Yeah, love it.....I have a GTO, but the speed limit means 3rd 4th and fifth gears will never wear out LOL

• Like 1

Just to lay the "cheese-eating......" to rest, I don't ckaim that as my own: for those of you who have seen Top Gear, it was Clarkson who said it.

What I cannot justify, at least in my own mind, is why Thais still drive (mostly) on the left, when there is no strong historical reason for this, even given the original story of the King's car. So far, I think we have found out why they started out droving on the left, but why do they still do this in a region that predominantly drives on the right.

Top Gear, Clarkson and companions, love them.thumbsup.gif

Region drives predominantly right side? I would think other way around.whistling.gif

driving%20on%20the%20left.gif

Well, I saw the Royal Wedding and concluded that the British still use horse and buggy transportation, even for the Uber Rich and for royaly, so I assume the average Brit does too.

Just as soon as they get cars in the UK, they'll probably fix their left hand problem. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Problem, you say? Nope. Not for us educated Brits!

Now, must go old boy; I've got to go and check the stables...

In 1863 King Rama IV ordered the construction of . Thanon Charoen Krung (New Road) was 6.5 km. long. It started from the palace wall, ran along the Chaophraya river to end at Bang Kholaem or present day Thanon Tok. The New Road was created specifically for carriages and rickshaws.

In 1904 Prince Ratchaburi Direkrit went to Paris to receive a therapy, while he was there he ordered a German company in Paris to assemble an automobile. The first automobile in Thailand. The automobile was a LHD Mercedes, considered the top automobile at the time. Mercedes-Benz delivered buses and trucks to Thailand as early as the 1920s and 1930s, thereby enabling fast, safe transport for people and goods over long distances.

Germany switched from LHD to RHD in 1938 with the annexation of Austria but Thailand at that time had come under the influence of the Japanese who continue to this day to be a left hand drive country. So I would tend to think the British many have had an influence but that it was the German's that started the Thais driving on the left

Source Mercedes benz

• Like 1

Because the first car in Thailand was a gift from the English Queen to the King of Thailand.

In the UK they also happen to drive at the wrong side of the road.

OI! I'll have you know the left side is the right side and the right side is the wrong side. laugh.png

(Do you want a history lesson to explore the facts behind driving on the left?)

Do you want a history lesson to explore the facts behind driving on the left?

Yes, I do.

Doesn't it have something to do with horses and carts. A long time ago I met a Frenchman (in Paris) who said that there is a perfect logic to driving on the left.

I forget what he said. But I do remember that he talked about horses and carts. I guess he was referring back to pre-Victorian times when horse-drawn carriages were the norm in Britain and Europe.

I do know that you're right and that there is a real reason why it's better to drive on the left.

Yes it is to do with horse and carts. In some countries the driver sat on the cart and in some countries the driver sat on the horse. It's all to do with whipping the horses, but I can't remember more than that, but I'm sure google would have the answer.

That doesn't mean that that's the reason Thailand has RHD.

"In the Middle Ages you kept to the left for the simple reason that you never knew who you'd meet on the road in those days. You wanted to make sure that a stranger passed on the right so you could go for your sword in case he proved unfriendly."

That's why in the USA, we drive on the right. When passing someone on the street, you raise your left hand to block a punch, and throw one with your right. So, we walk on the right side, and most of us are right-handed.

What, and whom, are the "cheese-eating surrender monkeys?" Never heard that one before.

It's the French. Google has the reason.

So in fact certain countries still live in the middle ages, while others have moved on. whistling.gif

Exactly, in the USA for instance, people hardly use swords nowadays, preferring to put their faith in an assortment of assault rifles and handguns - 88.9 weapons per person at last count. Makes everyone else seems positively medieval!

You are trying to turn a driving thread into an anti US gun thread? Wow.clap2.gif

if you'd read the quote I was replying to then you wouldn't have had to ask thumbsup.gif

And here the very good reason, for driving on the right:

"In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver's seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road."

clap2.gif

can someone explain,the reason,why thailand has left traffic,when it was never coloneized,by another country?

Are you suggesting that the colonizing countries made the right choice, when they decided which side of the road one should use? rolleyes.gif

can someone explain,the reason,why thailand has left traffic,when it was never coloneized,by another country?

Are you suggesting that the colonizing countries made the right choice, when they decided which side of the road one should use? rolleyes.gif

Right or left choice. I'm irritated, left now!

I've always asked if people drive on the right side of the road - right as in correct, not as in left/right. Didn't one of the Scandinavian countries change the side of the road they drove on when I was a teenager? I'm sure I remember it, maybe Sweden, who now drive on the right (left) side of the road.

In Cambodia, they drive in the shade, no matter what side of the road.

I've always asked if people drive on the right side of the road - right as in correct, not as in left/right. Didn't one of the Scandinavian countries change the side of the road they drove on when I was a teenager? I'm sure I remember it, maybe Sweden, who now drive on the right (left) side of the road.

No..... they now drive on the right (wrong) side of the road. laugh.png Can't remember when they changed, but the details are in a post earlier in the thread.

I like the logic of driving in the shade,.... but fear the consequences of everyone doing that!!

Edited by Rob8891

In Sweden, they've driven on the left. 40 years ago they changed it to the right side of the road. Where all of the continental Europe 's driving!

Funny story, after changing the side, the accident rate was rising.

But that is explained by the fact, they kept the wheel where it was: On the left side.

Sweden was the only country, people drove left with wheel on the left, too!

A research showed, this combination made the drivers drive closer to the sidewalk, instead of closer to the meridian strip!

Now they drive like elsewhere, not that close to the side, anymore.

With the driving habits of most Thai's, I think it would make sense to market both right and left hand drive cars and let them choose which side they want to drive on. After all; they do that most of the time no matter which side the steering wheel is fitted !

So in fact certain countries still live in the middle ages, while others have moved on. whistling.gif

Exactly, in the USA for instance, people hardly use swords nowadays, preferring to put their faith in an assortment of assault rifles and handguns - 88.9 weapons per person at last count. Makes everyone else seems positively medieval!

You are trying to turn a driving thread into an anti US gun thread? Wow.clap2.gif

if you'd read the quote I was replying to then you wouldn't have had to ask thumbsup.gif

It was an observation of your foolishness. Thai Visa is about Thailand despite what you may have heard it is not a forum for bashing US gun laws.