Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong Resigns

Jai Dee

Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong resigns

Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong announced her resignation today from the Cabinet of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, amid growing anti-government sentiment and louder calls for the prime minister himself to step down.

"The current political situation is not conducive and I have to uphold the proper political ethics of good governance,'' she told a news conference.

Many were not surprised at Uraiwan's resignation as there were repeatedly rumours about her possible resignation when her husband, Sanoh, chief advisor of TRT has conflicts with Thaksin.

However her resignation is another blow to Thaksin ahead of a large anti-government rally planned for Saturday.

Source: The Nation - Feb 03 , 2006

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khunying Sudarat has demanded Mrs. Uraiwan to clarify the cause of her resignation

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party, KHUNYING SUDARAT KEYURAPHAN (คุณหญิง สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธุ์), said that she would like to hear Mrs. URAIWAN THIENTHONG's (อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง) clarification regarding her resignation as the Culture Minister. Khunying Sudarat said she was surprised to Mrs Uraiwan's resignation as she is diligent person working and representing the Ministry of Culture.

She said that she has not been told about Mrs. URAIWAN’s tendering her resignation from her position. Reports elleged that Mrs Uraiwan's resignation is connected to the movements of the WANG NAM YEN faction.

However, she has demanded Mrs. URAIWAN to clarify the cause of her resignation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 Febuary 2006

Deputy Thai Rak Thai leader says he never knew about the resignation of Mrs. Uraiwan

Deputy Thai Rak Thai party leader Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya(ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) said he was surprised at the resignation of Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong(อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง). He added that he had not had the chance to speak to Mrs Uraiwan prior to her resignation tender, therefore he could not identify the cause of her decision.

Gen. Thammarak said that the party would have to wait for Mrs. Uraiwan’s statement to see whether the resignation would have any effect on the party.

He added that if the reason behind such decision is to pressure Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to resign from his post then it will prove that the democratic system of the country is not effective and that the case will rests in PM Thaksin himself.

Uraiwan resigns, undermines Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's minister of culture - the wife of the leader of a powerful faction within the ruling Thai Rak Thai party (TRT) - resigned on Friday, further undermining the stability of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's government, analysts said.

Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong, the wife of veteran politician Sanoh Thienthong who leads the Wang Nam Yen faction in the TRT, said she had decided to resign for several reasons including the decline in political morality.

"I can't understand the current state of political etiquette and morality," Uraiwan told reporters. "A politician must have morals."

Uraiwan's resignation comes at a time when Prime Minister Thaksin and his government have some under widespread criticism for corruption and abuse of political power for personal gain.

Thaksin, a billionaire telecommunications tycoon who first became prime minister in 2001, has sparked outrage among academics and the media for his family's 73.3 billion baht (1.9 billion dollar) sale of its stake in the family-run Shin Corp to Singapore's Temasek investment company.

The massive transaction was conducted through the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) in such a way to be totally tax free.

Uraiwan denied that Sanoh, her husband and one of the Thai politicians who helped the TRT party win the general elections of 2001 and again in 2005, was behind her resignation.

Sanoh and Thaksin have been on bad terms since last year, when Sanoh first threatened to resign from the TRT after his faction was snubbed for powerful cabinet posts in the post-election cabinet.

Sanoh controls 37 elected members of parliament in the TRT, which currently claims 375 of the 500 seats.

"I think Uraiwan's resignation has further undermined the stability of Thaksin's government," said Phuwadol Songprasert, a political scientist and contemporary historian at Kasetsart University.

A massive anti-Thaksin rally is already scheduled for Saturday, to be headed by maverick media tycoon Sonthi Limthongkul, another powerful figure who once supported Thaksin and has now become his enemy. The rally, which will call for Thaksin's resignation, is expected to draw as many as 100,000 people.

"Now there are many segments of society united to topple Thaksin," said Phuwadol. "The Wang Nam Yen faction will be working against him within the parliament and other groups are rallying behind Sonthi outside of parliament."

Phuwadol predicted that Thaksin could be out of the premiership by June, this year.

But Thaksin on Thursday insisted he would serve out the remaining three years of his term in office.

"Not in this lifetime will you see me resign," he said. "Everything will proceed according to the rules and regulations of this country."

Thaksin, whose populist politics have arguably taken Thailand's tradition "money politics" to new heights, noted that he won 19 million votes in the 2005 election, an overwhelming majority.

"Those 19 million voters don't know anything about politics," said Phuwadol. "In Thailand, governments are elected by the people in the provinces and overthrown by the people in Bangkok."

--dpa 2006-02-03

Very interesting indeed...

Who can believe that her decision is not linked with her husband's position ?

And the timing also is strange (she could have wait next week)... Hum...

Anyway, nobody will have tears about her departure.

As previouslay said, she was famous for the "bikini" story.

Khunying Sudarat has demanded Mrs. Uraiwan to clarify the cause of her resignation

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party, KHUNYING SUDARAT KEYURAPHAN (คุณหญิง สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธุ์), said that she would like to hear Mrs. URAIWAN THIENTHONG's (อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง) clarification regarding her resignation as the Culture Minister. Khunying Sudarat said she was surprised to Mrs Uraiwan's resignation as she is diligent person working and representing the Ministry of Culture.

She said that she has not been told about Mrs. URAIWAN’s tendering her resignation from her position. Reports elleged that Mrs Uraiwan's resignation is connected to the movements of the WANG NAM YEN faction.

You want a reason, Sudarat???

Here you go:

from the Post:

"A politician must have morals."

now then, Sudarat... you know.

and now, since you surely realize you fall short of that criteria, so you should go, too... as well Thaksin... right?

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party, KHUNYING SUDARAT KEYURAPHAN (¤Ø³Ë­Ô§ ÊØ´ÒÃѵ¹ì à¡ÂØÃҾѹ¸Øì), said that she would like to hear Mrs. URAIWAN THIENTHONG's (ÍØäÃÇÃó à·Õ¹·Í§) clarification regarding her resignation as the Culture Minister. Khunying Sudarat said she was surprised to Mrs Uraiwan's resignation as she is diligent person working and representing the Ministry of Culture.

You want a reason, Sudarat???

Here you go:

from the Post:

"A politician must have morals."

now then, Sudarat... you know.

and now, since you surely realize you fall short of that criteria, so you should go, too... as well Thaksin... right?

Way to go, Siracha John!

Golf

PM Thaksin: No Cabinet reshuffle despite the resignation of Mrs. Uraiwan

Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party leader and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has insisted that the Cabinet will not be reshuffled despite the resignation of Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong (อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง).

Prime Minister Thaksin said that Mrs. Uraiwan Thienthong did not inform about her resignation earlier, but admitted that there were some hints. However, he has expressed confidence that such decision will have no affect on the performances of the government.

He affirmed that there is no need for the Cabinet to be reshuffled for now since Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai (สุรเกียรติ์ เสถียรไทย) will be the acting Culture Minister at this moment.

However, the premier admitted that the Cabinet reshuffle might take place after the senatorial election. He said that Wang Nam Yen (วังน้ำเย็นนั้น) faction will remain with the TRT Party, while Mrs. Uraiwan is considered to be one of the party members only.

"The current political situation is not conducive and I have to uphold the proper political ethics of good governance,'' she told a news conference.

Stricken by Spagetti Straps ... ? :unsure::whistling:

I believe that was Ladda Tangsuphachai, director of the monitoring department at the Culture Ministry.

Rats and sinking ships ? :o

Exactly. You can bet that Thaksin has already moved most of his fortune out of the country, too. Gotta be prepared - he'll be really sad not to be supreme ruler of Thailand anymore, but luckily he has a couple of billion $ to help him get over it :D

PM's Secretary-General views that Mrs. Uraiwan's resignation is a personal matter

Secretary-General to the Prime Minister PROMMIN LERTSURIDEJ (พรหมมินทร์ เลิศสุริย์เดช) viewed that Mrs. URAIWAN THIENTHONG's (อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง) resignation from the Culture Minister post is a personal matter, and the general public should respect her decision.

He commented that Mrs. URAIWAN’ resignation is not due to the Cabinet’s disapproval of a 300-million-baht budget, which the Ministry of Culture proposed previously. He said that these matters are not connected together.

As for a claim saying that her resignation might give more pressure to the Thai Rak Thai Party, he said that internal and external problems of the party must be separated from each other.

If only Khunying Sudarat had demanded Mrs. Uraiwan to clarify the cause of her assignment to this position in the first place the 'spaghetti western' incident might not have occured and there would be no need to wonder why she is now bailing out. 'nuff said.

Charles

Mrs. Uraiwan thanked government officials and people for their hard working and urged government agencies to safeguard justice of the nation

Former Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong (อุไรวรรณ เทียนทอง) has thanked government officials and general public for their cooperation and hard work.

She has also asked the officials to consider the benefits of Thailand and its people, and to protect the justice of the country.

After the official resignation announcement, the Secretary-General to the Culture Minister, Khunying Thiphawadee Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์), has extended her wish and handed a flower bouquet to Mrs. Uraiwan where she has responded by wishing the government officials to be prosperous and asked them to preserve the culture and tradition of the government officials.

Why is it that those who are not Thai nationals but who live and maybe work in Thailand

have to poke their noses into Thailands political affairs?

We are guests in this country and most of us are uninvited guests. We should show respect

for our hosts, it's their country and they must govern the way they see fit.

If you do not like the system GO HOME Thailand does not need you.

Breconman.

Breconman, its views like that that allow for facisism, racism and ignorance to thrive. Everyone should 'interfer' with pollitics if you call 'comment and discourse' as interfering. Visitors should comment as should Thais overseas, expats in LoS, foreign political commentators and politicians and just about anyone else.

As Thailand is officially a democracy, and honours freedom of speech (I said officially!), there is no difference to immigrants in the west talking about their adoptive governments.

Also, I must have seen the comment "if you don't like it go home!" statement several throusand times over the years on this (and other) boards. It usually sums up the person that has no arguement to put forward and little understanding of the issue being talked about - to me a prime reason to avoid the keyboard and keep quiet.

"If you don't like the discussion, log off!" is my reply.

Why is it that those who are not Thai nationals but who live and maybe work in Thailand

have to poke their noses into Thailands political affairs?

Breconman.

For one, single solitary reason... the only legitimate reason to get involved....

and...

that...

is...

to...

irk...

you. Glad it works...

:o

Breconman, normally I take the same position as you when each and every news article about Thai politics is followed by a barrage of posts how stupid the politicians are, no matter what the subject.

In this case however it is an issue worth discussing. We may be guests but there is nothing wrong with having an opinion on current political affairs and sharing them with others.

My opinion: Thaksin's bloodpressure is probably around 105 over 60 today and his smirk is probably quite genuine because he has nothing to worry about. He has faced much hotter fires especially between his winning his first election and being sworn in and by the time the next elections are due not a single person in the country will remember the current affairs :o

Breconman, its views like that that allow for facisism, racism and ignorance to thrive. Everyone should 'interfer' with pollitics if you call 'comment and discourse' as interfering. Visitors should comment as should Thais overseas, expats in LoS, foreign political commentators and politicians and just about anyone else.

As Thailand is officially a democracy, and honours freedom of speech (I said officially!), there is no difference to immigrants in the west talking about their adoptive governments.

Also, I must have seen the comment "if you don't like it go home!" statement several throusand times over the years on this (and other) boards. It usually sums up the person that has no arguement to put forward and little understanding of the issue being talked about - to me a prime reason to avoid the keyboard and keep quiet.

If only Khunying Sudarat had demanded Mrs. Uraiwan to clarify the cause of her assignment to this position in the first place the 'spaghetti western' incident might not have occured and there would be no need to wonder why she is now bailing out. 'nuff said.

Charles

Khunying Sudarat,always willing to please her boss, when the Air Force pilot crashed and was killed 2 weeks ago in Supanburi Thaksin made his tasteless remark that the pilot was distracted by billboards of Banharn, Chart Thai's leader. Sudarat immediately chimed in saying the observatory built by Banharn and his wife Jaemsai probably distracted him too.

Thais call this sycophantic, fawning type of behaviour: นายว่าขี้ข้าพลอย

Well said Wolf. The day I can't say what I think about Thailand is the day I will go elsewhere, as will international business, millions of tourists and anyone in Thailand who can afford a ticket out of a country that no longer lives up to it's name of being Free!

Charles

\

Well said Wolf. The day I can't say what I think about Thailand is the day I will go elsewhere, as will international business, millions of tourists and anyone in Thailand who can afford a ticket out of a country that no longer lives up to it's name of being Free!

Charles

\

I'm glad to know most of the people think we can express ourselves even using a little humor, I think this is what a forum is all about, express opinion and learn. Breconnman, I really think that if you have nothing constructive or at least funny to say you should stop coming to Forums. Nobody wants to read acid comments on a Friday evening unless they’re funny.

This is no even Thailand; it’s an internet forum commenting Thai topics, maybe some of the guys here are not even in Thailand, grow up dude.

And one last thing, Thailand is my country now, and I think I have all the right to say anything I want.

Gianni

Are you being obtuse there breconman or just not got the hang of the 'quote' button yet. :o

As for me, I do watch the politics closely because there are real possibilities of it directly effecting me and other expats here. As such 'pokeing' our noses in it is the only means of expressing frustation and anxieties over things we have no control over.

Breconman, I won't join the others in bashing you publically......

Being from the States where we consider it a right of all free men/women to trash whatever they chose, and interfere wherever we choose, well I can't see what your problem is!

Taksin is an ass, a crook and is really starting to irk me with his weekly campaigns to defer criticism on himself by picking on my beer gardens and night venues.

This being so! I feel it is my right to stand up and be heard! I don't wish for a nice tar and feathering, but maybe seizure of his bank accounts for non-payment of taxes would help lower my blood pressure. Firing the minister of Health would help retore his position in my mind as just another petty politiciam with a Napoleon complex rather than the position he now holds.

Did you know that Taksin and GW Bush are the same height?

Sounds like sour grapes. The editor as well!

Who would you like to run the country; a person that can amass a fortune or someone crying poor mouth.

Its up to the laws to govern the land; people make the laws. If they are no good change them.

I am a little envouis of someone making so much money, but then again I know the sacrifices it takes to make money. Very hard job.

The only crime the Prime Minister has commited is that he entered politics when he may never had to. I take my hat off to the man.

:D:D:o

Breconman; Many of the members of this forum come from places that hold to the philosophy;

"I disagree with everything you say, but will fight to the death to maintain your right to say it"

Places that do not like this stream of thought include Burma, Vietnam, Singapore, China, many Arab states, the odd country in south america, and a few in Africa, and unfortunately increasingly some places that should know better.

Look around and try to think what happens when nobody says anything nasty. When you leave Disneyland there is a world outside.

Who would you like to run the country; a person that can amass a fortune or someone crying poor mouth.

If the one who is amassing the fortune does it through corrupt government contracts and lobbying, then I'd rather have "someone crying poor mouth" running the country.

Its up to the laws to govern the land; people make the laws. If they are no good change them.

That's exactly the problem... a functioning democracy needs to be ruled by laws and institutions. But that's not the way Thailand is ruled - Thaksin rules Thailand and Thaksin makes the laws. If he doesn't like the laws, he changes them. If he's broken a law before he's had a chance to change it, he makes sure it isn't enforced.

This was exactly the problem when Thaksin was nearly kicked out of office early in his term over the asset concealment case. He argued that it didn't matter whether he broke the law - because he was ELECTED, so to hel_l with the laws! Well, that sounds a bit familiar. After all, a plurality of Germans elected Hitler, so maybe we should cut him some slack too!

Edited by tettyan