Any Budding Detectives About ?

You have to laugh, how due to shows like Dexter and CSi we all posess arudimentary understanding of spatter patterns.

Spatter patterns.

great name for a band

Spatter Pattern

Great idea. Join the dots then claim the patterns are linked to the lines at Nasca.

Sure look like blood.

However as a possibility.....I used to live on a wooden sailing yacht (yes I had a tough life) in Chichester Harbour.

Every year the same thing happened. Loads of swifts (or was it swallows) would hang around tha boatyard, probably the whole area, for a time, maybe passing through on migration. They would hang out in the rigging. The decks would get covered with lots of speckles of a dark blueish red smaller than yours but not dissimilar.

It came from them eating berries which were out at that time and pooping it out on the fly.

Maybe something like that?

Swallows & Swifts diet consists of insects on the wing. At no time do they eat fruit, not least because they cannot land on anything that isn't vertical & they only do that in order to breed.

My vote is on the menstruating dog:)

Edited by evadgib

I still think bat splat ... ! smile.png

presumably bats have similar habits ... so see this ..

'They don’t eat the pulp and fibre of the fruit, but instead press the pulp between their tongue and a bony ridge on their upper palate to squeeze out the juice.

Urban residents are usually familiar with the range of interesting fruity deposits left behind by flying foxes on outdoor furniture and washing, as well as faeces.

After extracting juice, flying foxes spit out pellets, or ‘spats’, of chewed and compressed fruit flesh.

Although there is little information about how much these animals eat, generally fruit bats consume between half and twice their body weight each night!'

http://www.csiro.au/en/Outcomes/Environment/Biodiversity/Spectacled-Flying-Fox/Bat-facts.aspx

I have cut down a small fruity tree with red type berries on it & that cleared the problem on one side. The other as I previously mentioned I get rid of all the stems with berries on them from the palm, that solved the other side.

Droppings are liquid red or purple colour with little or no substance or fibre in them.

Birds.

I have cut down a small fruity tree with red type berries on it & that cleared the problem on one side. The other as I previously mentioned I get rid of all the stems with berries on them from the palm, that solved the other side.

Droppings are liquid red or purple colour with little or no substance or fibre in them.

Birds.

+ 1 (with the squits - all that fruit)

Sorry - that is the birds have the squits - not me rolleyes.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

Swallows & Swifts diet consists of insects on the wing. At no time do they eat fruit, not least because they cannot land on anything that isn't vertical & they only do that in order to breed.

Well thankyou for that I have been under an illusion all this time.

Can you think of an explanation why they both......the swiftlows and the berrycrap......happened the same time. It must have been migration time and I remember it as being very nice weather as I used to sleep with the main hatch and doors open and sometimes a different type of bird would come down below.....charming.

Don't swiftlows go to North Africa?

Cheeryble

Check your Tarrot Cards Bert.

I can't. Nipped to 7/11 and I didn't foresee the rain that soaked them while I was on route sad.png

I like the alien theory. Maybe be me not remembering what happened last night after 10 wasn't due to the copious amounts of beer but rather I was abducted by grays blink.png

Who left the splatters whistling.gif

All clear this morning as well by the way.

Another day in paradise biggrin.png

Any dogs around? Female dogs are in heat twice a year, part of which is a bloody discharge that lasts for around 2 to 3 weeks.

@ Gulfsailor: I reckon THAT is what's causing these systematic drops; female dog in heat: happens all over the world.

Any dogs around? Female dogs are in heat twice a year, part of which is a bloody discharge that lasts for around 2 to 3 weeks.

@ Gulfsailor: I reckon THAT is what's causing these systematic drops; female dog in heat: happens all over the world.

And out of all the theories I tend to favour this line but then why have I not seen it around where the dogs tend to stay. They hang around the car port which has a polished concrete floor which would show up these splatters clearly but I have seen none before. The dogs have been here since I have. blink.png

My problem with the dog theory is that there are no paw prints or smudges. Also blood is easy to determine as it dries with a ring forming on the outer circumference and will also appear a little flaky (maybe cracked) when dried on a waterproof surface. If it was blood the OP would know that for sure.

I am also inclined to think that the drops come from higher up than a meter or two, because they appear to be landing near perfectly vertically, and that would not be the case if it was a land animal unless the drops only fell when the animal was motionless (unlikely)

I am inclined to say that birds or bats, squeezing out juice while feeding, makes the most sense.

Fruit eating bats tend to show up suddenly and return nightly for a few weeks and then move on to a new area. Probably some type of birds do the same.

And out of all the theories I tend to favour this line but then why have I not seen it around where the dogs tend to stay. They hang around the car port which has a polished concrete floor which would show up these splatters clearly but I have seen none before. The dogs have been here since I have. blink.png

It's the birds.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif