Poll: Obama Leading Romney 49% To 46% Ahead Of Second Debate

News_Editor

Not even close:

57% give it as a win for Romney or a Tie.

That sounds credible. coffee1.gif

When you don't get the win, you always got the spin ...

Anyway, back to the overwhelming results for Obama on this debate:

CBS Instant Poll of Uncommitted Voters:

53 percent OBAMA

23 percent willard mitt romney

Here's a melancholy thought:

For Obama we KNOW this was the last debate he will ever participate in for the rest of his life.

For Romney, well we don't know that 100 percent, but the smart money would be on it being his last political debate as well.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Obama zinged himself...

OBAMA: You know, one of the challenges over the last decade is we've done experiments in nation building in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and we've neglected, for example, developing our own economy, our own energy sectors, our own education system. And it's very hard for us to project leadership around the world when we're not doing what we need to do...

Read more:

So he admits to not developing out own economy at home. Ouch.

Edited by koheesti

I'm surprised the transcript has exactly what Shieffer said about capturing bin Laden. Like Ted Kennedy, he got bin Laden's first name wrong. :D

SCHIEFFER: All right. Let me go to Governor Romney because you talked about Pakistan and what needs to be done there.

General Allen, our commander in Afghanistan, says that Americans continue to die at the hands of groups who are supported by Pakistan. We know that Pakistan has arrested the doctor who helped us catch
Obama (sic) bin Laden
. It still provides safe haven for terrorists, yet we continue to give Pakistan billions of dollars.

Read more:

Winning the election is all that counts now and Romney likely played it the right way. Another pointless fight like the second debate would not work in his favor when it comes to the Grand Prize.

I give Romney credit for not trying to rip Obama's head off. You could tell that he wanted to and it is obvious that he more than capable of it. He was presidential just by holding back to serve the long-term strategy. thumbsup.gif

Romney "I want to replace the Syrian regime, with an administration that is friendly towards America." That man is scarey, to a non American.

As an American, and one who votes, I hope the next Syrian leadership is friendly towards America. I'm sure even Obama supporters (the American ones) want a friendly Syria as well.

I think you can guarantee it will be a little more friendly to the USA than it will towards Russia and China.

Romney "I want to replace the Syrian regime, with an administration that is friendly towards America." That man is scarey, to a non American.

As an American, and one who votes, I hope the next Syrian leadership is friendly towards America. I'm sure even Obama supporters (the American ones) want a friendly Syria as well.

He made it sound though like he was willing to enforce that change. The West should stay out of the whole dam_n mess that is the Middle East

Not likely. The miltary still uses bayonets. Maybe the Romney campaign will use it. laugh.png

To be precise, didn't he say "we have less horses and bayonets, too", as opposed to none?

Which is true.

The US military is half the size it was in 1970.

Tell me how Romney might use that?

He made it sound though like he was willing to enforce that change. The West should stay out of the whole dam_n mess that is the Middle East

It can't, as the world's biggest oil consumer it needs the 20% that goes through the Strait of Hormuz. What it can do is stop getting involved in pointless ground wars.

It can't, as the world's biggest oil consumer it needs the 20% that goes through the Strait of Hormuz. What it can do is stop getting involved in pointless ground wars.

Yeah, because only the USA gets oil through the Strait of Hormuz. rolleyes.gif

Romney made it clear he didn't want to get involved in Syria militarily - not even enforcing a non-fly zone.

Maybe the USA won't get involved, trying to position themselves in a position of favor with the future Syrian leadership, but I guarantee other countries are.

Edited by koheesti

Here's how I read it and I'm sure my fellow Americans - Republicans - Independent Republicans - read it this way too:

Since the momentum is so very clearly in the Governors favor, anyone who calls the debate a draw is really calling it a victory for the Governor so that means that when you add this number up with those who say that the Governor clearly won the debate he comes out as really winning it by 57 to 43. The math is as easy as a revenue neutral 20% tax cut.

Not likely. The miltary still uses bayonets. Maybe the Romney campaign will use it. laugh.png

....which will probably allow the Obama camp to zing right back that the Romney camp are a bunch of backward luddites.

Last thing I'd advise Romney to do is re-inforce prejudices that he is stuck in the past...

I give Romney credit for not trying to rip Obama's head off. You could tell that he wanted to and it is obvious that he more than capable of it. He was presidential just by holding back to serve the long-term strategy. thumbsup.gif

Rip his head off over what? Twice I saw Obama taking the piss out of him, once over his ignorance of US military capabilities and once over his flip flopping over who is the US's greatest enemy (a few weeks ago it was Russia, now it's Al Qaeda with a nuke). If you mean Romney wanted to take a swing because he was made to look foolish, I can see that.

Trying to find out what Romney really believes is akin to herding cats or nailing jelly to a wall. The bloke changes his mind more often than Buckingham Palace change the guard.

He cannot be trusted to do what he says, simply because what he says changes almost from speech to speech. All he's interested in is getting the job, so he can hand over power and cash to his big money friends and backers.

As far as I can see, that's the real issue voters need to address.

He says he's going to cut taxes. He says he's going to create 12 million jobs. Well let him explain how, don't settle for unsubstantiated claims.

• Like 1

Yeah, because only the USA gets oil through the Strait of Hormuz. rolleyes.gif

Romney made it clear he didn't want to get involved in Syria militarily - not even enforcing a non-fly zone.

Maybe the USA won't get involved, trying to position themselves in a position of favor with the future Syrian leadership, but I guarantee other countries are.

The US is taking a prime position supporting the FSA, but will not stretch as far as direct military intervention; mainly because it would have to be unilateral, since they will never get such a motion past the UNSC.

However, in the context of the debate, I think both the President and the Governor shared the same opinion.

My comment was aimed at the person who said: "The West should stay out of the whole dam_n mess that is the Middle East": Simply not an option. Or do you disagree?

I was too busy to tune in, unfortunately. Is it worth watching the rerun later, or was it just the same old same old?

I think it's worth watching if you watched the others. I doubt it's going to influence that many voters, in fairness. I did like Obama's comment about people being sick of TV ads, that was one thing on which they both (and the audience) agreed. Something we don't have in UK politics, thank God.

I was too busy to tune in, unfortunately. Is it worth watching the rerun later, or was it just the same old same old?

I think this is one where watching clips of highlights is enough. The first debate was a must-see just for the unexpected Obama meltdown and to see Romney flying around like Superman. The second debate was more of a fight.

He cannot be trusted to do what he says, simply because what he says changes almost from speech to speech. All he's interested in is getting the job, so he can hand over power and cash to his big money friends and backers.

Anyone who believes the above is true for one candidate but not the other has a lot to learn.

"Winning the election is all that counts now..."

Of course that's true. And of course you'd be saying something else if Romney had won. (And if Romney had been more aggressive -- if indeed he could have done as you claim --then you would have said THAT was the right approach).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

An interesting debate. I am an Obama supporter, but I left the debate feeling much more comfortable with Romney. Many, many things about Romney I don't like, but I did see him as being a pragmatic and reasoned person in the area of foreign policy.

He didn't change my mind, but he alleviated my fears about a lot of things.

So now, if Romney wins, I won't be suicidal. Just a little depressed for a day or two!

I think this is one where watching clips of highlights is enough. The first debate was a must-see just for the unexpected Obama meltdown and to see Romney flying around like Superman. The second debate was more of a fight.

Watching some of them now. It looks like it was quite interesting...

I'm still amazed how both candidates kow tow to the Israelis though. It's time the US took a firm line and told them that if they want US backing and funding, then they need to stop their expansionist policies and start negotiating.

If the Irish can do it, so can the Semites.

• Like 1

I'm still amazed how both candidates kow tow to the Israelis though. It's time the US took a firm line and told them that if they want US backing and funding, then they need to stop their expansionist policies and start negotiating.

I reluctantly agree, however, the problem is that there are so very, very few credible sources of information and stable places in the Middle East that backing Israel is the best bet on all kind of fronts. I wouldn't call it kow-towing, although I can see how a lot of people think of it that way.

I reluctantly agree, however, the problem is that there are so very, very few credible sources of information and stable places in the Middle East that backing Israel is the best bet on all kind of fronts. I wouldn't call it kow-towing, although I can see how a lot of people think of it that way.

This is true, and the overwhelming number of American Jews who are democrat shows which party they think historically supports Israel best. but, I do give credit to Romney for leveraging his relationship with Bibi and trying to assume ownership of the Jewish vote loyalty for the Republicans. It looks like it will work to pry some of those Jewish Democrats over to vote for him this time.

Edited by keemapoot

The Obama administration already said they want regime change and the days of Assad are over and in a new Syria is no place for him in their opinion

So basically the same.

I'm calling it now.

Romney wins the popular vote. Obama wins the electoral college.

Not that I have any faith in my prediction. But if I get it right, I'll be acting like the smartest guy in the room wink.png

Oh I don't know. All it takes is for Obama to double tap the Ambassador's killers and show their lifeless bodies on prime time news and he'll probably get a winning swing. I expect Special forces are hiding outside their tent right now waiting for orders to take them out on November 5th.

smile.png

The trouble is, if it was Romney, he'd invade Canada thinking he was invading Mexico or something. This cock up from Mitt the Twitt is beyond incredible:

""Syria is Iran's only ally in the Arab world," he said. "It's their route to the sea."

Er.... what?

Aside from the fact Iraq is now quite chummy with Syria, what with their governments sharing the same muslim sect and all, perhaps someone needs to get a globe and show Romney the Arabian Gulf, the Arabian Sea and the Caspian Sea - and which country borders all three.

Strewth, that's right up there with "aircraft need windows that open".

This is true, and the overwhelming number of American Jews who are democrat shows which party they think historically supports Israel best. but, I do give credit to Romney for leveraging his relationship with Bibi and trying to assume ownership of the Jewish vote loyalty for the Republicans. It looks like it will work to pry some of those Jewish Democrats over to vote for him this time.

If any votes are pried away it will have been done with a lot of help from the Democrats for abandoning Israel in their party platform at their convention in September. Who can forget that debacle of a floor vote?

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 1