What Is A Jig?

fanciman

I suspect that the phrase "The jig is up" probably came from very early days when a criminal might be leading the police on a chase (I have heard it called "a merry jig"). Thus when the police eventually caught those in flight, the "jig" (chase) was "up" (finished).

I doubt it was *commonly* used to mean specifically a racial crime either ending in death or not - I have never heard that usage.

As for the G/K pronunciation business - it is derived directly from phonetics, where the practitioners write all sorts of weird things to describe the various sounds that may emanate from a human vocal system.

I was taught that ก (Gor-guy - not using phonetics) was often written as a K, but pronounced as a hard "G", while จ (jor-jan - or more often chor-chan) is pronounced as a "J".

The one that gets me is the ว (wor-wan) - who was the idiot that translated it into a "V" when there is no such sound in the Thai language?

Anyway - drifting off topic there, but back to it now - I haven't heard of GIG, KIK, JIG, JIK or whatever, but years ago the girls in some places we used to frequent referred to the act of horizontal dancing as JIGGY-JIG or variations thereof - so I suspect it is possibly an adaptation of that.

Whatever it's roots (no pun intended [Australian]) it sounds like a great idea, and I must remember to get one if the opportunity arises... oh there I go again... :o

/edit - spelling

Edited by Greer

กิ๊ก

ก is not a 'k' as in 'kerb'. Neither is it a 'g' as in 'gig'. It is pronounced like the 'k' in 'skate'.

However, if you cannot be bothered learning about the difference, pronounce it as if it were a 'g', and you are more likely to be understood, since the hard 'g' in English does not coincide with another sound in Thai - 'k' in 'kerb' does though.

To contrast this so you understand, the national language of the Philippines does not have an 'f' sound. For this reason, many Filipinos will pronounce 'f' as 'p'. In English this means 'file' will be 'pile' and fruit will be 'pruit', etc. In other words, it can cause confusion for an English listener. The same thing happens when you use an English 'k' sound for words that are spelled with ก

The distinction used in IPA based representations of Thai in Western script is this:

k (like the 'g' in 'gig' - but hard and voiceless. 'Voice' in this context means adding a buzz to your vocal cords (cf. the difference between 'rice' and 'rise', the 'c' in rice being voiceless, and the 's' in rise being voiced.)

kh (like the 'k' in 'kerb', but with a more distinct puff of air afterwards).

'Jig' is completely wrong.

This word 'jig' is a fairly new term for a 'mia noi' or 'second wife' or 'bit on the side'. <snip>

Put's a whole new spin on the term, "The jig is up!" :D It would be a three-way pun if your mia noi is also African/American. Could be a four-way pun if your African/American mia noi is doing the jig, too.

:D You should never use the term "The jig is up."

It is extremely poor taste.

:o Older prejudicial Americans used this phrase to describe a racial crime resulting in death.

JIG IS UP

The phrase "the jig is up" surfaced more than 200 years ago. The exact origin is unknown, with speculation ranging from the end of a musical performance to the removal of a fishing line (a jig) from water – although the anglers' term didn't catch on until the 1860s, so this seems unlikely.

Some scholars believe it originally referred to the end of either a trick or game, since the word jig (sometimes spelled gig) had acquired this meaning by the time Shakespeare was writing plays.

The first recorded use of "the jig is over" appeared in 1777. About 20 years later, a Philadelphia newspaper published the earliest known version of our current expression – throwing in an extra "g" (the jigg is up) for good measure.

What does "the jig is up" imply today? The Canadian Oxford defines it as a scheme that's been "revealed or foiled," while Webster's suggests it means "all chances for success are gone" – especially when applied to "risky or improper" strategies.

The gigantic Oxford English Dictionary broadens the scope to "the game is up, it's all over." The Gage Canadian Dictionary says the expression is slang for "it's all over; there's no more chance," and The Houghton Mifflin Canadian Dictionary of the English Language offers a similar entry: "the game is up; all hope is gone."

As with many words and phrases, then, there is a spectrum of meaning. What's obvious, however, is that "the jig is up" could easily be uttered with conviction by a disgruntled Alliance MP who believes that "it's all over" for the party if the leader doesn't quit.

Gig, certainly not Jig, is a recent word "inveneted" by Dek Naew people. It's more likely to come from gig as a concert than from Gigolo with a soft g - j sound.

When it was first reported it meand something like a sex buddy, no commitment involved. Friend for shopping, movies, dinners, sex, whatever. It isn't a one night stand because people know each other and meet over and over again, if they want. The key to being a gig is that you don't lose sleep if your gig sleeps with anyone else or dumps you.

Once the term spread beyong Dek Naew circles the sex part became less eminent to accomodate more moderate Thais.

This word 'jig' is a fairly new term for a 'mia noi' or 'second wife' or 'bit on the side'. <snip>

Put's a whole new spin on the term, "The jig is up!" :D It would be a three-way pun if your mia noi is also African/American. Could be a four-way pun if your African/American mia noi is doing the jig, too.

:o Older prejudicial Americans used this phrase to describe a racial crime resulting in death.

JIG IS UP

The phrase "the jig is up" surfaced more than 200 years ago. The exact origin is unknown, with speculation ranging from the end of a musical performance to the removal of a fishing line (a jig) from water – although the anglers' term didn't catch on until the 1860s, so this seems unlikely.

Some scholars believe it originally referred to the end of either a trick or game, since the word jig (sometimes spelled gig) had acquired this meaning by the time Shakespeare was writing plays.

The first recorded use of "the jig is over" appeared in 1777. About 20 years later, a Philadelphia newspaper published the earliest known version of our current expression – throwing in an extra "g" (the jigg is up) for good measure.

What does "the jig is up" imply today? The Canadian Oxford defines it as a scheme that's been "revealed or foiled," while Webster's suggests it means "all chances for success are gone" – especially when applied to "risky or improper" strategies.

The gigantic Oxford English Dictionary broadens the scope to "the game is up, it's all over." The Gage Canadian Dictionary says the expression is slang for "it's all over; there's no more chance," and The Houghton Mifflin Canadian Dictionary of the English Language offers a similar entry: "the game is up; all hope is gone."

As with many words and phrases, then, there is a spectrum of meaning. What's obvious, however, is that "the jig is up" could easily be uttered with conviction by a disgruntled Alliance MP who believes that "it's all over" for the party if the leader doesn't quit.

I really hate this part of US History.

And I hate to say what I am about to say.

But it is true, and please do not use the phrase as a joke.

:D Put up your Oxford English Dictionary and talk to an older person from the southern US.

In the 18th and 19th centuries almost anytime something bad happenned and black people were around, they were blamed and the judicial system usually never got involved.

It was a crime for a black man to be seen with a white woman other than doing his chores.

If the local people felt that a black man even had thoughts about a white woman, the locals would go over to where the black person lived and in most cases would kill the black man by hanging him in the nearest tree or from the nearest barn.

When the people went back into the town they would say: "The Jig is up!"

It ment that the black man ("Jig") was dead by hanging ("is up!")

JIG IS UP

:D Put up your Oxford English Dictionary and talk to an older person from the southern US.

In the 18th and 19th centuries almost anytime something bad happenned and black people were around, they were blamed and the judicial system usually never got involved.

It was a crime for a black man to be seen with a white woman other than doing his chores.

If the local people felt that a black man even had thoughts about a white woman, the locals would go over to where the black person lived and in most cases would kill the black man by hanging him in the nearest tree or from the nearest barn.

This is really off topic but you'll notice what I had highlighted. The phrase has different uses and when used should not be forced into a specific context if the original context was something else.

People can get themselves riled up over anything if they want to make the effort, or make a mountain out of any molehill. My intention is not to insult anyone, but if people choose to take it as an insult then, sorry, that's their problem. It's not my job in life to please everyone.

กิ๊ก

ก is not a 'k' as in 'kerb'. Neither is it a 'g' as in 'gig'. It is pronounced like the 'k' in 'skate'.

However, if you cannot be bothered learning about the difference, pronounce it as if it were a 'g', and you are more likely to be understood, since the hard 'g' in English does not coincide with another sound in Thai - 'k' in 'kerb' does though.

To contrast this so you understand, the national language of the Philippines does not have an 'f' sound. For this reason, many Filipinos will pronounce 'f' as 'p'. In English this means 'file' will be 'pile' and fruit will be 'pruit', etc. In other words, it can cause confusion for an English listener. The same thing happens when you use an English 'k' sound for words that are spelled with ก

The distinction used in IPA based representations of Thai in Western script is this:

k (like the 'g' in 'gig' - but hard and voiceless. 'Voice' in this context means adding a buzz to your vocal cords (cf. the difference between 'rice' and 'rise', the 'c' in rice being voiceless, and the 's' in rise being voiced.)

Have to disagree with you here SM, gig in English sounds just like skate or gate in reference to the first g sound

JIG IS UP

This is really off topic but you'll notice what I had highlighted. The phrase has different uses and when used should not be forced into a specific context if the original context was something else.

People can get themselves riled up over anything if they want to make the effort, or make a mountain out of any molehill. My intention is not to insult anyone, but if people choose to take it as an insult then, sorry, that's their problem. It's not my job in life to please everyone.

Just consider this a lesson in culture.

:D

กิ๊ก

Have to disagree with you here SM, gig in English sounds just like skate or gate in reference to the first g sound

Most English people I know who speak a bit of Thai, can easily be traced because their ก are softer than those of a native Thai speaker. I would say there is a difference between the initial sound of 'gate' and the second sound of 'skate'. The difference is that g in gate has a buzz.

However, I can see how the initial sound of 'gig', pronounced quickly in a sentence, could lose it's voicing.

Either way, I hope you agree the sound is nothing like 'j' in 'Jehova'. :o