Product Return Policy And Consumer Protection

Nanasi

Let me hear your opinion on this.

I bought a shirt from this store. (newly opened in bkk)

Their return policy is "within x days with original receipts with tag attached".

Ok, I understood the policy.

Then I returned home, remove the tag from the shirt, threw away the receipt with a full intention of keeping the shirt to myself.(no intention to return or exchange whatsoever)

I acted with the reasonable belief that the shirt is in good condition without a damage or a defect.

But then, I found the fabric on the sleeve was ripped. (havent worn it but found out 2 days later)

So I returned to the store, asked to exchange the shirt.

Guess what. They refused.

In this case, liability is on a customer to keep the receipt and tag and make sure the shirt is not damaged?

Store is not responsible to guarantees their items are in good shape and not damaged?

Owing to the fact that their policy does not mention about a damaged or defective goods, am I not entitled to exchange the shirt with new one?

In Thai or in other countries, does consumer protection law covers the case like mine?

Not being able to see the damage myself, but it sounds like a ripped sleeve is something you would/should have seen at the time of purchase. I'd also think a retailer would do a cursory examination of your items at the time of sale, to avoid precisely this kind of unpleasant situation.

Also, you say you understood their policy but now you're trying to fight it. I'm really leaning toward the merchant in this case.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

The shirt is elastic, so it is hard to see the rip at the glance. It becomes very visible when the fabric is stretched out.

I understood the policy but I also understand (believe) product is in good shape.

It is the obligation of a seller of merchandise to ensure the quality of product offered to the public (especially if you gonna brand it with your logo), and if the product is happened to be damaged, then it is seller's obligation to compensate it.

If they dont keep their obligation, I am not obligated to follow their policy either.

I just wanna tell this store to do the right and dont put blame on customer for their damaged goods. Especially you are internationally recognized company.

Anyway, I later found out the reason why shop clerk was so resistant. Apparently, the shop will let the staff pay for the loss if he or she accepts the return outside of their policy.

That tells everything how this company is.

You might ask the vendor to check their computer, assuming that sales are thus recorded.

I had a baht 2,000++ item that didn't work right purchased from DOHome (like HomePro), had tossed the receipt and the box.

Moseyed on down to the outlet, Customer Service gal was no help, but I was talking with one of the floor managers, and he was great. I had the date of the purchase and our member card, he tapped into the computer and printed out a replacement receipt.

Back to CS and got a full refund.

Good folks, DOHome.

Mac

I think there is a responsibility of the Seller to ensure displayed/ for sale items are in the correct condition etc, yes, BUT ultimately you as the buyer should have inspected the garment and satisfied yourself BEFORE you purchased it and definitely before you removed those labels etc. Once you did that you have no course of action in my opinion.

Its unfortunate but a lesson well learned and one I think you will be guarded against in future.

Edited by CharlieH

Well they stated their return policy quite clearly and you didn't comply with those return rules...

I think if you can find it in your heart to not get wound up about it and just chalk it down to experience... Always check the product before ripping off labels and throwing away receipts.