4 Feb Anti-thaksin Demonstration Thread

george

If I get some spare time I'll go see which newspapers are available locally. But in the mean time I'd like to say that if your hypothesis is correct and it is the unavailability of newpapers that is causing Toxin's popularity then all you anti-Toxin people have a simple blueprint for unseating your nemesis....just buy up newspapers and distribute them free to all the villages. If you are right the people will worship you as messengers sent from above and once they see the value in reading these papers filled with the already well known fact that politicians are corrupt they will gladly start buying them since Thai newspapers are really cheap and most children waste more money in a week than the newspapers would cost.....also, once these people see the value and start buying newspapers you will get rich in the newspaper distributing business.....what a deal....enlightening the Thai people, making Thailand into a real democracy, and getting rich all at once..........nice dream but I think the underlying assumption is wrong.

Well, my friend's grandfather who lives an hour from CM is always appreciative when his daugter comes in from the city every couple of weeks to drop off old newspapers. Of course, I could go on, but let me just make a final point. I think that as long as the government keeps its virtual monopoly on TV and radio broadcasting, it would be difficult to say that Thailand has a truly "free" press. I mean, what would you say about American democracy if you were given your choice of newspapers, but then the government gives Fox News a monopoly on TV news reportiing?

Well it seems like you are back pedalling very rapidly away from your assertion that Thais are starved for news about gov't corruption....if they are then someone can make a fortune distributing newspapers. I think that this last post of yours is just so much smoke and mirrors trying to avoid the logic of my arguement.......just start distributing news papers help democracy in Thailand and get rich!!!!............sweet!!!!!!!!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Few village shops sell newspapers, only the main stores in towns do. It's not worth it finacially for the small village shops, newspapers only have a shelf life of one day and they're heavy. As Thaksin said himself recently,88 percent of Thais get their news from the TV, now if the TV was free from political interference.......

Before Thaksin bought ITV it used to have hard hitting news and interesting discussion programmes, now it's all game-shows and trivia. Imagine if Paiboon had been able to buy Matichon? A printed version of Grammy, banal muzac in print, ugh!

Mr. Bhokin denies commenting over the Opposition’s decision to inspect the performances of PM Thaksin

House Speaker Bhokin Bhalakula (โภคิน พลกุล) has denied to make any comments on the opposition’s decision to inspect Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s performances.

Mr. Bhokin said that he does not know about the ways that the opposition would use for inspecting the premier’s performances especially the no-confidence debate where there have to be 200 voices, therefore it is not possible for him to express any opinion unless he acknowledges the topics of the opposition.

However, as a member of Thai Rak Thai party, he does not agree with the situation where the party MPs would sign their names with the opposition party, since discipline does matter in the political system.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 Febuary 2006

Newspapers suck up to Taksin anyway - they all need advertising from AIS, CP, and the governement itself.

thats positively the most surreal statement i have read in a long time.

please tell me you are trying to be artfully contentious, or perhaps there is some parallel universe where newspapers are denouncing sondhi and his mob.

in last sunday's bangkok post coverage of the 4th Feb protest, the most pertinent points in thaksin's explanation of the shin corp sale were tucked under the bottom of page 3, where editors know will not be noticed apart from the keenest reader (most people turn the page before their eyes reach the bottom).

instead, large pictures of sondhi's defiance and his mob were on the front page, declaring the protest a victory. other stories tell of how the government is surely on its last legs now that a second faction leader has resigned. inside pages show pictures of thaksin meekly greeting guests while he retreats to his hometown, describing how 30,000 people may have turned up (as opposed to 50,000 protestors on the front page) for a party sponsored by his family (Thaksin bribes his supporters). a box sidebar interviews apparently normal middle class protestors and how they see the protest as a sort of 'rite of passage' that this generation needs to participate in.

apparently subliminal messages put across by the Post and especially The Nation on a daily basis become powerful tools to shape opinion and undermine readers' own objective reasoning. i can only imagine the thai language papers being more incendiary.

have you ever wondered why news headlines attributed to the government consistently contain words like 'admits', 'denies', 'concedes', words that presume guilt just by its use? you can tell a thai newspaper's position just by reading its headlines. real professional newspapers report news factually using objective language on their front pages, they do not take sides. they reserve political comment for the editorial pages within.

Newspapers suck up to Taksin anyway - they all need advertising from AIS, CP, and the governement itself.

thats positively the most surreal statement i have read in a long time.

apparently subliminal messages put across by the Post and especially The Nation on a daily basis become powerful tools to shape opinion and undermine readers' own objective reasoning. i can only imagine the thai language papers being more incendiary.

I can only imagine that you cannot read Thai and have very little knowledge concerning Thai language newspapers. :o

You are right, Nation and Bangkok Post are very biased against Thaksin. Thai masses do not read these papers though, in fact they couldn't even physically read one of their headlines with "subliminal" messages.

Thai masses do read Thai Rath and Daily News. For these papers advertising revenue is certainly a big issue and they have generally been quite kind to Thaksin. Certainly more kind than any reasonable person with no revenue to lose would be!

If I get some spare time I'll go see which newspapers are available locally. But in the mean time I'd like to say that if your hypothesis is correct and it is the unavailability of newpapers that is causing Toxin's popularity then all you anti-Toxin people have a simple blueprint for unseating your nemesis....just buy up newspapers and distribute them free to all the villages. If you are right the people will worship you as messengers sent from above and once they see the value in reading these papers filled with the already well known fact that politicians are corrupt they will gladly start buying them since Thai newspapers are really cheap and most children waste more money in a week than the newspapers would cost.....also, once these people see the value and start buying newspapers you will get rich in the newspaper distributing business.....what a deal....enlightening the Thai people, making Thailand into a real democracy, and getting rich all at once..........nice dream but I think the underlying assumption is wrong.

Well, my friend's grandfather who lives an hour from CM is always appreciative when his daugter comes in from the city every couple of weeks to drop off old newspapers. Of course, I could go on, but let me just make a final point. I think that as long as the government keeps its virtual monopoly on TV and radio broadcasting, it would be difficult to say that Thailand has a truly "free" press. I mean, what would you say about American democracy if you were given your choice of newspapers, but then the government gives Fox News a monopoly on TV news reportiing?

Well it seems like you are back pedalling very rapidly away from your assertion that Thais are starved for news about gov't corruption....if they are then someone can make a fortune distributing newspapers. I think that this last post of yours is just so much smoke and mirrors trying to avoid the logic of my arguement.......just start distributing news papers help democracy in Thailand and get rich!!!!............sweet!!!!!!!!

I stand by every point I've made on this topic so far - principally, that most Thais cannot easily access independent sources of information. What I DON'T believe is that there exists a simple, one-size-fits-all solution to this problem - it's much more complicated than that. Yes, I do think that making more newspapers widely available in rural areas would help a great deal. Ending the government's monopoly of the airwaves (an assertion that you havn't openly disagree with) is also just as important. The creation of a true public-service TV station, as opposed to that PM's Office propoganda mouthpiece which calls itself Channel 11, also needs to be considered. The government should also let more local media outlets develop, such as community radio stations, instead of using underhanded ways to shut them down. In short, a lot needs to be done before the Thai press can truly be considered free. I'm happy to hear that where you live, people have easy access to newspapers, and I hope the number of villages like that keep increasing. But the way I see it (and we can agree to disagree on this), Thailand still have a long way to go...

Regards,

Tettyan

ed.

Newspapers are available almost everywhere. Every soi in every village has little stores selling stuff to the neighborhood and many of them carry newspaper.....and if people wanted them to carry the Bangkok Post or the Nation then they would get them....but they don't care....they don't want them.....they have no problem with this gov't as far as I can see....so why would they want to waste their time an money dealing with something that is not a problem (their point of view as I see it) when they have plenty of things in their lives that are problems which is where they try to focus their resources.

That sounds like a pretty interesting village, with sois and little kiosks? May I ask what kind of village is it? Is it in an amphoe muang or is it within an amphoe municipality (thesaban)? And which newspaper titles are available there? I'd be curious to know.

Regards,

Tettyan

Thank you Tettayan, couldn’t have put it better myself. I have travelled extensively in the North East and have stayed in many villages. I have never seen a newspaper for sale or anyone ever reading one. I have just asked my wife, who comes from Sa Kaeo and she confirms that neither her village or any of the villages for miles around have newspapers for sale. The same goes for up country Ubon, Udon, Kon Kaen, Korat …….etc. Sure the cities (Muang) have them, but not once you get out of town. And as Tettayan mentioned, no nice little paved sois, no kiosks, (no karaoke bars either I may add). :D

And to whoever your names is ; the crack about the Kaman having iPstar satellite was a joke! A Joke! get it! :D:D Just trying to lighten this forum up a bit - its so intense!! :D:o

Well I was wrong. The village where I live does not have a store that sells newspapers. The store that sells the newspapers is actually in the next village. It's one kilometre up the road and I just assumed that it was in our village but its not. If you go in the other direction about 3 kilometres there is another village and there is a store there that sells newspapers.

So, sorry to have mislead you about my village....there is no store that sells newspapers but within 3 kilometres there are two stores that sell newspapers....I think that they sell Thai Rhat daily edition only but haven't had time to check for sure. My wife says that anyone who wants to get a newspaper can very easily do it (most people have motorcycles) but my wife says that not many people buy them. I asked her why and she said she didn't know but the older people (like her mother who is about 60 years old) can not read.

So, newspapers are readily available....they're not hard to get...but most people don't buy them.

Someone is likely to say that the only available newspaper is garbage.....I'll take your word for it....but....do you think that the law of supply and demand has anything to do with it? Don't you think that the one newpaper available is probably representative of what the people want? If people actually wanted a paper full of political analysis don't you think that someone would be making money by making that available and putting Thai Rhat daily edition out of business?...I do.

Edited by chownah

If they could read, then yes.

Perhaps that's why the Education Ministry and education in Thailand remains such a mess. It's intentional. People who are illiterate are easier to control?

:D couldn't agree more :D keep'em ignorant and poor - all the easier to rip them off! :o

Great!!! Now this thread has stumbled into an area that really does have the potential to not only get rid of corruption which presently exists but to also get rid of it once and for all....and that is EDUCATION!!! You can bury people with newpapers containing the most brilliant and insightful political commentary but it will do no good unless the people can read it.....and also...don't forget...they must also be able to understand and analyze it!!! EDUCATION IS THE ANSWER. THE QUALITY OF ANY DEMOCRACY IS DETERMINED BY THE QUALITY OF THE EDUCATION OF ITS CITIZENS. Of course it is alot easier to blame him or her or the lack of this or that...but really education is the entire issue.

Edited by chownah

Absolute true!

Great!!! Now this thread has stumbled into an area that really does have the potential to not only get rid of corruption which presently exists but to also get rid of it once and for all....and that is EDUCATION!!! You can bury people with newpapers containing the most brilliant and insightful political commentary but it will do no good unless the people can read it.....and also...don't forget...they must also be able to understand and analyze it!!! EDUCATION IS THE ANSWER. THE QUALITY OF ANY DEMOCRACY IS DETERMINED BY THE QUALITY OF THE EDUCATION OF ITS CITIZENS. Of course it is alot easier to blame him or her or the lack of this or that...but really education is the entire issue.

Army commander said rally on Feb 11 should be held at Sanamluang instead of the Royal Plaza.

Army commander General Sondhi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญรัตกลิน) expressed opinion that media tycoon Sondhi Limthorngkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) should use Sanamluang (สนามหลวง) as a rally venue, as there is a wide space and will be suitable for safety measures.

General Sondhi said that he agrees with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat (ทักษิณ ชินวัตร) for not allowing Mr. Sondhi use the Royal Plaza as a venue for a rally on February 11, adding that it is inappropriate as the Royal Plaza is considered royal residential areas. He said that the venue should be changed to Sanamluang (สนามหลวง) as it is a wide area and convenient. He said that officials have been told to prepare safety measures for the event.

As for whether the prohibition of the venue will violate freedom of expression, the army commander said that these are two different issues.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 Febuary 2006

BKK governor said that BMA has not been contacted for the use of venue for rallies on Feb 11.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayothin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) said that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has not been contacted for the use of venue for rallies headed by Sondhi Limthorngkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) on February 11.

Mr. Apirak said that he has not been contacted officially by Mr. Sondhi, adding that he personally thinks that the protestors should not use the Royal Plaza as venues for the rally, as it is considered royal residential grounds.

He said that there must be an official letter from Mr. Sondhi asking for the use of Sanamluang (สนามหลวง) for the rally first before the BMA will allow it.

EDITORIAL: Media blackout fails to hide truth

Published on Feb 6, 2006 Nation

State-controlled television and radio networks totally ignored what was happening on Saturday and early Sunday at the Royal Plaza. People throughout the country who tuned in to their televisions and radios as the biggest mass demonstration in over a decade took place were kept in the dark. When they did briefly mention the anti-Thaksin rally, they also engaged in shameless misinformation by grossly underreporting the number of protesters.

On the other hand, Thaksin was given all the airtime he required to promote himself, rebut accusations and even insult people who dare to challenge his leadership or simply disagree with him. Thaksin’s weekly radio broadcast was repeatedly aired on state TV and radio stations several times throughout the day.

The exception was the handful of community radio stations which bravely provided live terrestrial broadcast to their radio listeners in Bangkok areas covered by their limited transmission power, in addition to internet-based and satellite TV and radio stations.

It was obvious that the Thaksin administration was terrified of what looked like the beginning of a sustained mass movement against his leadership. Such tight control of state media for self-serving propaganda purposes is reminiscent of the corrupt military regimes of oldt, which had no respect for civil liberties but had everything to fear from people finding out the truth about their misdeeds.

In hindsight, it has become clear that Thaksin is a monster of Thai people’s own making. They allowed themselves to first fall for the populist policies and handed over an unprecedented parliamentary majority to Thaksin, giving him virtual absolute power.

The prime minister, who has unparalleled power of patronage in Thai politics, has gone on to weaken the rules of the law, undermine Constitutionally-appointed watchdog agencies and rule-making bodies, suppress press freedom and about-face civil liberties. Which has in turn led to alleged policy corruption, under which every conceivable rule has been bent to maximise the selfish gain of a handful of people at the expense of the rest of the society.

Thaksin’s underhand reaction to the growing public discontent regarding his alleged misrule tells us more about his insecurity than his supposed strength.

Thai PM's approval rating soars despite huge protest

Approval rating 33.6% before rally, 59.3% after.

BANGKOK - Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra's popularity has soared according to a poll released Tuesday, despite a massive anti-government protest and plans for a second rally which has been banned from a royal square.

Some 50,000 people gathered at the capital's Royal Plaza Saturday calling on Thaksin to quit, but he has dismissed his opponents as "stupid" and said they would not be allowed to hold their next protest there on February 11.

"If they still insist on using the Royal Plaza but lack any sensible reason for doing so, we will have to strictly implement the related law," government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said Tuesday.

Protest leader Sondhi Limthongkul, a media mogul who has rallied a wide range of groups unhappy with Thaksin's rule, intends to defy the government ban but a final decision will be made later, his aide Samran Rodphet said.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, rejected the government's claim that it wanted to avoid traffic congestion at the plaza, which is closely identified with Thailand's revered monarch.

"It is clear that the government wants to suppress the demonstration because it fears even more people will attend," he told AFP, adding that government opposition would only swell the crowds this weekend.

But Thaksin received a boost from a new survey which found that 59.3 percent of those polled on Sunday and Monday want him to continue as prime minister, compared with 33.6 percent of those surveyed on the eve of Saturday's rally.

The respected ABAC poll surveyed 1,377 residents of the capital Bangkok, where the criticism of Thaksin has been loudest.

ABAC pollster Nopadol Kanikar credited the popularity surge to Thaksin's impassioned radio address Saturday when the billionaire-turned-politician defended in detail his family's controversial 1.9 billion-dollar sale of telecom giant Shin Corp.

The sale of Shin Corp to Singapore investment firm Temasek, which was structured to avoid a 30 percent capital gains tax, unleashed a public outcry and an investigation by regulators.

"The address was a really significant boost for him and eased people's negative sentiment, making them reluctant to participate in the demonstration," Nopadol told AFP.

But he said Thaksin was put on notice to address complaints that he is arrogant and cannot accept criticism. Napadol also said Thaksin should avoid any further suggestion that he is using his influence to promote his family's business interests.

"The respondents who want Thaksin to continue his work stipulate that he must work transparently, quickly solve the problem of poverty, be sincere in his work and listen to opponent's suggestions," he said.

Thai senators and academics Tuesday called for a boycott of Singapore products and services in a bid to stop the Shin Corp sale, saying it was unacceptable to put sensitive Thai telecommunications assets in foreign hands.

"We have to make Singapore aware that Thailand can survive without Singapore and its money," said Anusorn Srikaew, dean of the journalism faculty at Rangsit University.

Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasathidya said Tuesday that Muslim militants in Thailand's south have seized on the recent political turmoil to intensify their attacks in the region rocked by two years of violence.

"The current situation has worsened because the militants thought that the government in Bangkok is having problems. It's opportunist, but it won't be for long," Chidchai said. - AFP/ir

2006-02-08 ASIA PACIFIC NEWS

It’s a ticket to paradise, you idiots!

How’s that? I told you last week they were not going to pay and it’s a waste of time. Painful as it is, I’m beginning to agree with our prime minister when he said, "You are a bunch of idiots." I mean stop worrying about the country’s coffers and mind your own business. It’s every citizen’s job to do his or her best to pay the least amount of tax. Our leader has told us so, and so have the Revenue Department, the finance minister and the stock exchange authorities, to name just a few.

Even many high-profile people from the university who taught me have suggested it’s not our duty to stick our necks out, even when something seems so seriously wrong with our country. But to be fair, the alumni association of the Political Science Faculty at Chulalongkorn University as well as the university’s president may not think there is anything wrong with Thailand at the moment. They may sincerely believe that the Shin Corp takeover deal does not take away anything from our motherland, thus any action by our foremost educational institution is not warranted.

“Every businessman does it.” We have been hearing this with greater frequency. It’s 2001 all over again, when much of society thought putting large amounts of shares in the accounts of one’s servants was not a crime, but something allowed by the law. That the shares were apparently traded between the accounts didn’t matter. That the accounts allowed major shareholders to evade rules on tender offer didn’t matter. That the shares enabled the major shareholders to pay less tax or avoid them altogether didn’t matter.

A new disclosure – that the obscure Ample Rich Investments Co Ltd has a “twin” firm of the same name based in England – will most likely be waved away again by the likes of the Anti-Money Laundering Organisation and the Stock Exchange of Thailand. It doesn’t matter that this ghost company in England once held a large amount of Shin Corp shares, only to sell them to unknown buyers and then disappear. Question it if you like, but be prepared to hear: “Everyone does it. What are you, an idiot?”

Some are worried about Singapore controlling Thailand’s satellite, cellular signals and “independent” TV. I have been one of them, but, come to think of it, I must have been a fool. If those things belonged to Thailand, how come the Shinawatras managed to sell them? It’s as simple as that. If government authorities responsible for taking care of those “national” assets don’t feel the country has been “robbed”, why should we?

A breach of the Constitution? Well, who are we kidding? If the Constitution Court can say it’s all right for the prime minister to put his shares in the accounts of his servants and a mysterious firm based overseas, the rest is academic.

Let’s concentrate on imitating our leader’s shrewd business practices. He was right, we were idiots. He has handed us the most practical method to get rich quick and we, an ungrateful lot, are slamming him for that? It takes a really great mind to dodge the laws for fun. It is time, perhaps, that we cut the ideology, patriotism and conscience nonsense. Study him. Learn from his example. Consult the SEC, the Stock Exchange of Thailand or the Commerce Ministry if you will. And the Revenue Department, as we have learned, can be a very generous friend.

If you are operating a medium-sized business, list it and go register a company in the British Virgin Islands. That company can buy your own shares and vice versa and hopefully the stock prices may go up and you can make a profit. The ghost company can also do plenty of other things and if anyone dares question its existence, remember this magic word: “Nasdaq”.

As for those of you facing charges of insider trading or tax evasion, hire a good lawyer who should be able to find an escape route if he studies certain legal precedents hard enough. And if you are a company worker, the next time your employer gives you stock options, help them make good plans and hopefully you can get around the Revenue Department. If one nominee is not enough, use two or three. You will get it right eventually. I’m no expert, but if Thaksin’s kids can buy Shin Corp shares from Ample Rich at Bt1 per unit and sell them at Bt49 without paying any tax, there must be a way.

Yes, we are idiots. The Shin Corp takeover deal is our new Constitution, or even more than that. It’s a ticket to paradise. As for the country, who cares? Everyone does it.

Tulsathit Taptim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice writing style, Khun Tulsathit.... :o

Prime example of where Thaksin erred on the Shin Deal. Even if it turns out to be in compliance with the tax laws, it is the PERCEPTION of people that really counts.... and he's failed miserably in taking that into consideration... or perhaps he did, and just didn't care:

Egat staff outraged over double standards on shares

Bangkok Post

Egat Plc employees have criticised the Revenue Department for double standards over income tax charges on shares offered to staff under the utility's initial public offering. The Egat union yesterday asked why taxes should be levied in light of its decision to allow the 73.3-billion-baht sale of a 49% stake in Shin Corp to Temasek Holding to go tax-free.

Labour leaders said that the same tax standards applied to transactions between Ample Rich Investment, an offshore holding vehicle of the Shinawatra family, and Panthongtae and Pinthongta Shinawatra, just one working day before the Temasek deal, should apply to Egat's IPO shares as well.

Sirichai Mai-ngarm, the leader of the Egat labour union, said the application of taxes on the difference between the par value and IPO price of Egat shares was in effect despite the fact that the employees had not yet realised any capital gains.

He asked why taxes should be applied in Egat's case given that the Revenue Department decided not to tax Ample Rich's sale of Shin Corp shares at just one baht per share because no gains had been realised.

''Both transactions are similar in one thing _ the price that the shares were sold at was below the market price,'' Mr Sirichai said.

In the Egat case, staff received share allocations for 10 baht per share against a projected IPO range of 26 to 28 baht per share, resulting in unrealised gains of up to 18 baht each.

The Revenue Department has argued that for Egat, the unrealised gains represented taxable income as the shares were received as an employee benefit.

But in the case of Shin, tax officials say the Ample Rich and Mr Panthongtae and Ms Pinthongta sale did not involve taxable income, as no gains were received.

This was despite the fact that the two reaped a capital gain of over 15 billion baht from their sale of the shares to Temasek at 49.5 baht per share, one working day later.

The Temasek share sale incurred no tax liability due to the long-standing waiver on capital gains for SET transactions.

Egat's IPO, which was delayed in November pending a challenge to the Administrative Court, called for the float of two billion shares in total.

Of this, 510.3 million shares were placed with Egat employees at 10 baht each, with another 1.245 billion shares allocated to general investors at 26 and 28 baht per share and 200 million shares reserved for a greenshoe option.

Egat president Kraisri Karnasuta and Santad Jirayuwat, the chief corporate accounting officer, recently met with Revenue Department officials to discuss the tax issue.

The Shin sale has raised public uncertainty over whether tax and securities laws were violated.

While tax officials have insisted that the transactions were legally correct, the Securities and Exchange Commission has not yet closed an investigation into whether disclosure and tender offer rules were violated by Mr Panthongtae and Ms Pinthongta.

Chalee Chantanayingyong, the SEC's senior assistant secretary-general, said that regulators had yet to receive additional documentation regarding transactions and ownership of Ample Rich and its holdings of Shin Corp shares.

He said the SEC would continue its investigation and take legal action if warranted once all documentation had been gathered.

The SEC has sought the co-operation of authorities in the British Virgin Islands for information on Ample Rich.

Mr Thaksin established Ample Rich in the British Virgin Islands in 1999. He said on Saturday that he had sold to the company 32.92 million shares of Shin Corp at a par value of 10 baht each as part of a plan to list Shin shares on the Nasdaq exchange.

Thai PM's approval rating soars despite huge protest

Approval rating 33.6% before rally, 59.3% after.

But Thaksin received a boost from a new survey which found that 59.3 percent of those polled on Sunday and Monday want him to continue as prime minister, compared with 33.6 percent of those surveyed on the eve of Saturday's rally.

The respected ABAC poll surveyed 1,377 residents of the capital Bangkok, where the criticism of Thaksin has been loudest.

2nd poll taken on sunday and monday when anti toxin ppl were resting after the saturday night/sunday morning protest :o

id say take a new poll during the next rally....toxin would get 0% votes and print the news as...

But Thaksin received a big blow from a new survey which found that 0 percent of those polled on {during the next rally} want him to continue as prime minister, compared with 59.3 percent of those surveyed during last sunday and monday.

The respected ABAC poll surveyed 91,377(?) residents of the capital Bangkok, where the criticism of Thaksin has been loudest.

Edited by devil_dog

If you want to see Thais changing in responsible citizens taking active interest and participation in their country's affairs you are in for a big disapointment.

You need lots of patience to see any signs of progress here. Feb 4 was a big day, but not big enough.

ACM Kongsak believes the demonstration on the 11th of February will not escalate

Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา) expressed confidence that the rally which will take place on the 11th of February led by media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) will not escalate and lead to conflicts since the protestors are still those who joined the last rally on the 4th of February.

As for the government’s decision not to let the demonstration take place at the Royal Plaza, Air Chief Marshall Kongsak stated that it was due the use of inappropriate words and the venue is considered as a Royal Precinct.

ACM Kongsak referred to the statement of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra claiming that the Cabinet reshuffle will take place after the senatorial election that it is the responsibility of the government leader to see the appropriateness of the adjustment and he is willing to work in any position.

ACM Kongsak believes the demonstration on the 11th of February will not escalate

Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana expressed confidence that the rally which will take place on the 11th of February led by media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul will not escalate and lead to conflicts since the protestors are still those who joined the last rally on the 4th of February.

I don't think the Interior Minister talked to government spokesman Surapong about this beforehand. Sounds like different takes:

Govt warns Sondhi not to rally at Royal Plaza

POST REPORTERS

The government has warned media firebrand Sondhi Limthongkul not to press on with his protest rally this weekend and has threatened to take legal action if he does not give up his plan to hold the rally at the Royal Plaza. ''If he [Mr Sondhi] insists on using the Royal Plaza without a reason, he will certainly face legal consequences,'' government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said

hmmm... "legal consequences"... "placed on a watchlist".... does sound a bit, uhmm.. ominous?

------------------------

eu·phe·mism

n.

The act or an example of substituting a mild, indirect, or vague term for one considered harsh, blunt, or offensive.

Edited by sriracha john

Finance Minister confirms that the demonstration on Feb 11th will not escalate and affect the investors' confidence

Finance Minister Mr. THANONG BIDAYA (ทนง พิทยะ) confirmed that the upcoming demonstration on February 11th will not escalate and affect the investors’ confidence on investing in Thailand.

He spoke about Manager Newspaper founder SONDHI LIMTHONGKUL’s (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) protest which will take place on February 11th that if no violence happens on that day like the demonstration on February 4th, he said that the demonstration will not shake Thailand's economy.

He also requested concern units to help take care of the situation, while viewing that Mr. SONDHI can criticize ministers’ work performances.

This thing about no protests at the plaza is a load...

Truck drivers have used it.

Why was it allowed last time on Feb 4th then?

And last but not least, let's not forget Thaksin's new propaganda tool, the taxi drivers who have also used the plaza for their own protest in the past! :o

If Khun Sondhi holds a rally, with 100,000+ participants, and the effect is to double Dr Thaksin's approval-rating, then he will surely wish to allow the fullest possible media-coverage of future rallies, no ? :o

Alternative point-of-view - there are lies, damned lies, and (government) statistics. :D

It’s a ticket to paradise, you idiots!

How’s that? I told you last week they were not going to pay and it’s a waste of time. Painful as it is, I’m beginning to agree with our prime minister when he said, "You are a bunch of idiots." I mean stop worrying about the country’s coffers and mind your own business. It’s every citizen’s job to do his or her best to pay the least amount of tax. Our leader has told us so, and so have the Revenue Department, the finance minister and the stock exchange authorities, to name just a few.

Even many high-profile people from the university who taught me have suggested it’s not our duty to stick our necks out, even when something seems so seriously wrong with our country. But to be fair, the alumni association of the Political Science Faculty at Chulalongkorn University as well as the university’s president may not think there is anything wrong with Thailand at the moment. They may sincerely believe that the Shin Corp takeover deal does not take away anything from our motherland, thus any action by our foremost educational institution is not warranted.

“Every businessman does it.” We have been hearing this with greater frequency. It’s 2001 all over again, when much of society thought putting large amounts of shares in the accounts of one’s servants was not a crime, but something allowed by the law. That the shares were apparently traded between the accounts didn’t matter. That the accounts allowed major shareholders to evade rules on tender offer didn’t matter. That the shares enabled the major shareholders to pay less tax or avoid them altogether didn’t matter.

A new disclosure – that the obscure Ample Rich Investments Co Ltd has a “twin” firm of the same name based in England – will most likely be waved away again by the likes of the Anti-Money Laundering Organisation and the Stock Exchange of Thailand. It doesn’t matter that this ghost company in England once held a large amount of Shin Corp shares, only to sell them to unknown buyers and then disappear. Question it if you like, but be prepared to hear: “Everyone does it. What are you, an idiot?”

Some are worried about Singapore controlling Thailand’s satellite, cellular signals and “independent” TV. I have been one of them, but, come to think of it, I must have been a fool. If those things belonged to Thailand, how come the Shinawatras managed to sell them? It’s as simple as that. If government authorities responsible for taking care of those “national” assets don’t feel the country has been “robbed”, why should we?

A breach of the Constitution? Well, who are we kidding? If the Constitution Court can say it’s all right for the prime minister to put his shares in the accounts of his servants and a mysterious firm based overseas, the rest is academic.

Let’s concentrate on imitating our leader’s shrewd business practices. He was right, we were idiots. He has handed us the most practical method to get rich quick and we, an ungrateful lot, are slamming him for that? It takes a really great mind to dodge the laws for fun. It is time, perhaps, that we cut the ideology, patriotism and conscience nonsense. Study him. Learn from his example. Consult the SEC, the Stock Exchange of Thailand or the Commerce Ministry if you will. And the Revenue Department, as we have learned, can be a very generous friend.

If you are operating a medium-sized business, list it and go register a company in the British Virgin Islands. That company can buy your own shares and vice versa and hopefully the stock prices may go up and you can make a profit. The ghost company can also do plenty of other things and if anyone dares question its existence, remember this magic word: “Nasdaq”.

As for those of you facing charges of insider trading or tax evasion, hire a good lawyer who should be able to find an escape route if he studies certain legal precedents hard enough. And if you are a company worker, the next time your employer gives you stock options, help them make good plans and hopefully you can get around the Revenue Department. If one nominee is not enough, use two or three. You will get it right eventually. I’m no expert, but if Thaksin’s kids can buy Shin Corp shares from Ample Rich at Bt1 per unit and sell them at Bt49 without paying any tax, there must be a way.

Yes, we are idiots. The Shin Corp takeover deal is our new Constitution, or even more than that. It’s a ticket to paradise. As for the country, who cares? Everyone does it.

Tulsathit Taptim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice writing style, Khun Tulsathit.... :o

A great piece of writing.....I read it this morning at work.....and then again just now......talking about hitting the nail on the head.....biting invective and extremely cynical.

Great stuff.....just convinces me more, that in desperate situations.....desperate men do desperate things. The Thaksin dictatorship will not end in a civil manner.....unfortunately!

State-controlled television and radio networks totally ignored what was happening on Saturday and early Sunday at the Royal Plaza. People throughout the country who tuned in to their televisions and radios as the biggest mass demonstration in over a decade took place were kept in the dark. When they did briefly mention the anti-Thaksin rally, they also engaged in shameless misinformation by grossly underreporting the number of protesters.

On the other hand, Thaksin was given all the airtime he required to promote himself, rebut accusations and even insult people who dare to challenge his leadership or simply disagree with him. Thaksin’s weekly radio broadcast was repeatedly aired on state TV and radio stations several times throughout the day.

The exception was the handful of community radio stations which bravely provided live terrestrial broadcast to their radio listeners in Bangkok areas covered by their limited transmission power, in addition to internet-based and satellite TV and radio stations.

It was obvious that the Thaksin administration was terrified of what looked like the beginning of a sustained mass movement against his leadership. Such tight control of state media for self-serving propaganda purposes is reminiscent of the corrupt military regimes of oldt, which had no respect for civil liberties but had everything to fear from people finding out the truth about their misdeeds.

In hindsight, it has become clear that Thaksin is a monster of Thai people’s own making. They allowed themselves to first fall for the populist policies and handed over an unprecedented parliamentary majority to Thaksin, giving him virtual absolute power.

The prime minister, who has unparalleled power of patronage in Thai politics, has gone on to weaken the rules of the law, undermine Constitutionally-appointed watchdog agencies and rule-making bodies, suppress press freedom and about-face civil liberties. Which has in turn led to alleged policy corruption, under which every conceivable rule has been bent to maximise the selfish gain of a handful of people at the expense of the rest of the society.

Thaksin’s underhand reaction to the growing public discontent regarding his alleged misrule tells us more about his insecurity than his supposed strength.

Me thinks.....this Saturday's protest, if it manages to find a venue, will bring about swift retribution for some of those brave citizens who attended last Saturday's rally.

Thaksin definitely over-reacted to events last week......expect arrests this Saturday....at the very least.....I'll still be going......

......please no patronizing comments from other members....have heard them a thousand times before!

Me thinks.....this Saturday's protest, if it manages to find a venue, will bring about swift retribution for some of those brave citizens who attended last Saturday's rally.

Thaksin definitely over-reacted to events last week......expect arrests this Saturday....at the very least.....I'll still be going......

......please no patronizing comments from other members....have heard them a thousand times before!

I'm with you on that! :o

Honsestly, I think that most of the pro-Thaksin dogma on this site had eminated from either people deliberately opining obstreperous viewpoints to provoke a reaction; people that haven't understood the gravity of the situation; or farang that have a vested interest in the pervasion of Thaksinomics - "please don't rock the boat people - I really don't care about what is good for the country - I just care about my cushy well paid job with driver, maid, etc, etc..."

You get the point... :D