Wanting To Open A Restaurant - Caveats And How Tos In Phuket

Somtamnication

I have been thinking about it for a few years and the wife and I are more inclined to open one up now more than ever.

Anyone have experience with the paperwork involved, particularly with Phuket red tape, etc.? The issues will also include wp for myself as the overpaid cook/chef.

Feel free to pm me if you do not want to answer in public.

I have been in Phuket now going 10 years and I feel I know what may work and some of the pitfalls (quality, consistency, service). I also know that in order for qc to be effective, I will need to be in the kitchen as much as we all see Fatty in his kitchen.

It will be vegan´s nightmare to eat there. American style burgers, KC style bbq ribs and perhaps some cajun stuff. A small menu of no more than 10-15 items. I have no intention on training anyone to do 50+ items on a menu. A few desserts as South American style flan (quesillo) and other delicacies. Again, a small but great menu will be involved.

No need to compare foods from America, Australia, Brit, etc etc.. If we could possibly keep the topic on how-to open the restaurant and experiences as an owner, is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

wai2.gif

Location, location, location after that, working all the hours that God sends. You will have to do the shopping, and all the other stuff you can imagine. Business license for the wife (if Thai) is easy. Liquor license not quite so.

If you have run one before Ok. if not and you have money to burn and are a masochist ?

Do not count on local staff to do anything except what they are told to do. (everyday!) That being said there are many Thais who can cook western food as well as or better than expats, if you are lucky enough to find one.

You need 5 locals for a work permit and about 25, 000 baht a year for a lawyer to do all the paperwork for you.

If your house is in the right place and the customers are going to sit in the garden, maybe worth a punt.

Karen and Vocal. I can understand that L L L is critical, but I think this is more so back at home. I do drive over the mountains to eat good food. I live in PT. I do drive to Rawai for tex mex, I dread the drive over Patong hill to eat bbq on a Saturday night and I go to Koh Sireh to eat seafood. None of them are short trips.

I am open to correction on this.

I am aware of the 5 Thais, etc etc. Does one have to have the 2 million in the bank or accounting company takes care of that?

My wife is a great falang food cook. She may be at the front of the restaurant and I will be in the kitchen. I am well aware of leaving the kitchen and all hell breaks lose. But the menu being small, it will be an easy enough job to manage the kitchen.

I have a garden and there is parking available along two very long walls. That is a possibility. The front shops on both Chao Fa roads are like 25k a month. Too much for a start up restaurant.

Karen and Vocal. I can understand that L L L is critical, but I think this is more so back at home. I do drive over the mountains to eat good food. I live in PT. I do drive to Rawai for tex mex, I dread the drive over Patong hill to eat bbq on a Saturday night and I go to Koh Sireh to eat seafood. None of them are short trips.

I am aware of the 5 Thais, etc etc. Does one have to have the 2 million in the bank or accounting company takes care of that?

My wife is a great falang food cook. She may be at the front of the restaurant and I will be in the kitchen. I am well aware of leaving the kitchen and all hell breaks lose. But the menu being small, it will be an easy enough job to manage the kitchen.

I have a garden and there is parking available along two very long walls. That is a possibility. The front shops on both Chao Fa roads are like 25k a month. Too much for a start up restaurant.

As you say, you drive. Many people drive, making parking space a very important feature here, especially if not aiming at the tourist market.

Here's an idea.

The Paradise bar that has beach frontage not far from the Rawai Or Bor Tor (prime spot), doesn't sell food. Many people that go there wonder why.

Why don't you go and talk to the Swiss owner and see if you can come to some kind of arrangement?

Nothing to lose....fantastic location and maybe no rent to pay, just a cut of the profits. He gains as if your food is good, he makes money from the alcohol sales and those people who go there to drink could get something to munch.

No hassle with getting a liquor license.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

<snip>

This is this way I understand it when I started our company, although I concede time has moved on and may not be the same.

You don't need 2 million in the bank, just capitalise for 2 million, i.e. pay the registration tax for a 2 million company. Although I have been told (??) that even 1 million company is enough for just the one work permit.

If you are married to a Thai then you don't need any Thai workers, although I did get some grief this year (after 10 years of extensions) for having no Thai employees and was forced to hire one Thai on the books (handyman) so not so sure about this these days.

Used to be that if your Thai wife had her own business (not a registered company) then she could apply for your work permit. Again not sure if that is still the case, worth checking out with the labour office.

<snip>

This is this way I understand it when I started our company, although I concede time has moved on and may not be the same.

You don't need 2 million in the bank, just capitalise for 2 million, i.e. pay the registration tax for a 2 million company. Although I have been told (??) that even 1 million company is enough for just the one work permit.

If you are married to a Thai then you don't need any Thai workers, although I did get some grief this year (after 10 years of extensions) for having no Thai employees and was forced to hire one Thai on the books (handyman) so not so sure about this these days.

Used to be that if your Thai wife had her own business (not a registered company) then she could apply for your work permit. Again not sure if that is still the case, worth checking out with the labour office.

Yes, she can still do that. But also that way Thai staff is required, I think officially 2 these days. I also started of without any official Thai workers, but had to change that.

To Startup in order to survive u need walk in traffic ,,,, after u have been established and have a good reputation then people will come to you wherever u are ... the suggestion for Paradise bar is a bad one IMO its a ghost town for 8 months of the year ...cashflow is King .... hard business to survive in and live a good life ...

... the suggestion for Paradise bar is a bad one IMO its a ghost town for 8 months of the year ...cashflow is King .... hard business to survive in and live a good life ...

Fair enough. Just thought small initial outlay and quite a few customers all year round. Go there between 5 and 7 in the evening to see what I mean.

Can you make a good gumbo? I would drive just about anywhere for a good gumbo.

I can make gumbo. Where or not it is good, it depends how much is left in the bowl. smile.png

I tried making southern fried catfish (Memphis style) and it failed. The catfish here is really really bad quality and taste.

• Like 1

Here's an idea.

The Paradise bar that has beach frontage not far from the Rawai Or Bor Tor (prime spot), doesn't sell food. Many people that go there wonder why.

Why don't you go and talk to the Swiss owner and see if you can come to some kind of arrangement?

Nothing to lose....fantastic location and maybe no rent to pay, just a cut of the profits. He gains as if your food is good, he makes money from the alcohol sales and those people who go there to drink could get something to munch.

No hassle with getting a liquor license.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

I do. Short walk there for me. :)